Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going back to college

Options
  • 13-07-2016 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

I'm 29 and I've decided I want to go back to college but I don't know where to start. I'm currently in a full time job which I could go part time if I have to. Just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction. Do I apply through cao? Is there grants available if I leave my job? Am I too late to apply for this year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭everesteduc

If you want to hold onto your job you could check out distance learning degrees

* DCU Open Education
    * UCD Online Bachelor of Business Studies
    * Open University
    * University of London External

If you want to go to college, there will be a list of vacant places on the CAO website after the first round offers which should be on 22nd August.

You should be able to start some of the above this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

I was just looking up some courses today for a relative. Griffith College, Dublin Business School, National College of Ireland and some others do part-time degrees, mostly two evenings a week. Part-time degrees wouldn't come under the free fees scheme, though. From my own experience, some full-time arts degrees could fit in with a part-time job if you're disciplined enough to keep up with the reading.

Generally you would apply through the CAO whether you're applying as a mature student or on the Leaving Cert.
    Re: this year, you would be applying for whatever is left. The CAO site says:
    New Applicants (for 2016 entry)
    Persons who have already applied to the CAO for 2016 entry to ANY course (i.e., you have a CAO Application Number beginning with '16'), please use the 'Existing Applicant' facility above.

Persons who have not applied already (i.e. not a current-year applicant ) may make an Available Place application on payment of a fee of €40.

N.B. An application should not be made for any course without first consulting the information literature of the institution offering that course.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭elleelle19

IF the course you want isn't available last minute for this year you are not too late to do and Access Cours, it is pretty much a college prep course and if brilliant for preparing you to go back to study. UCD and Trinity have great ones and you can sometimes get automatic entry into certain courses if you do well in Access.

Advertisement