Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hit by uninsured driver :(

Options
  • 13-07-2016 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hello everyone. This is a little long, please forgive me.

I was hit by a young lad a couple of days ago from behind when I was stopped at the entrance to a roundabout. I didn't hear any skidding, his car was a small car and mine is a large heavy saloon, but it still managed to shunt me forward a couple of feet. I was pretty tired, so just wanted to go home and I didn't see anything more than a mark on the rear bumper. I quickly took his details (phone number, snap of insurance and license). There was an awful strong smell of weed from him and his car. I rang his phone so he would have my number and I told him I would get the car checked out and see if there was any unseen damage. I expected there to be nothing and to forget it happened. I reported the incident to the Gardaí of course as soon as I could.

So a friend stopped off to drop something into me after I got home and asked what happened the car. The boot lid was a bit raised and bumper was lower. I hadn't noticed until looking at it from a few feet back. The boot opens and closes fine, but the bumper is damaged and boot floor pushed up. I got a couple of quotes while out and one is really reasonable at under 600 quid. I was trying to keep the cost low to avoid hitting the young lads insurance. My neck is pretty sore and stiff, but I have no interest in making a claim. I was involved in a car accident a few years ago and got a whiplash injury in my neck. That still has not settled and to be honest I really could do without the stress of adding litigation to litigation. Getting the car fixed is all I want done.

I gave him the quote figures and then he wanted me to go to a place he picked. It's out of my way and I don't have the time to be driving around to places to suit him, or to get the car fixed by his mates. I got a funny feeling about him when I was talking to him on the phone and he was insinuating that I was lying about the damage. I invited him to come look for himself and he didn't respond to the offer. I am hardly going to cause more damage to give the repair shop a bigger pay day. His attitude on the phone was shocking for someone in his position. I was getting the distinct impression that he was not going to pay for the damage. I rang his insurance company. The insurance was cancelled recently.

So I am at odds as to what I should do. Part of me is thinking just let it go, that it's not worth pursuing. Get the car sorted myself and forget it. Then I am also with the OH in thinking that this guy is driving around while high on drugs, with no insurance and no tax. Thankfully he hit my car, which is big and heavy. He could easily have hit a similar size car and caused serious injuries to others. What do you think lads? Just drop it?

Maybe a beer is all I need. ugh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

Report the scumbag

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Cork981

People like that really annoy me!

To be honest I wouldn't leave him off especially due to his lack of remorse.

Smell of weed, no insurance, God only knows what else is up. I certainly dont want to be sharing the road with people like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

I can understand you not wanting to pursue it further cos of all the hassle and not wanting to mess the kid's sh1t up but because of his attitude I'd say go full on and take the wee asshole to the cleaners. When I read you giving it the "sore neck" I thought "uh oh" but you actually sound genuine and this punk needs to be taught a lesson.

Inform your Insurance Co and get back onto the Cops regarding him having no insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Call him back, tell him he has a week to get you 600 to get the car fixed, that the incident was reported to the gardai, but you'd be reporting him for having no insurance if he doesn't cough up the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭Quandary

You tried to be sound about it and gave him the chance to get the car repaired for a reasonable price. He threw that back in your face like the idiot he is considering the potentially disastrous position he is in. I agree with the above poster. Demand the €600 asap and tell him you will be reporting him for having no insurance if he doesn't pay up.

Also, make sure he doesn't know where you live as scumbags like this can make some very stupid decisions when they are disgruntled.

It would be infuriating to think this scrote could get away without paying up.

• Advertisement

Also , after you get your 600, report him anyway. Scum like that shouldn't be on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Jesus. wrote: »
    I can understand you not wanting to pursue it further cos of all the hassle and not wanting to mess the kid's sh1t up but because of his attitude I'd say go full on and take the wee asshole to the cleaners. When I read you giving it the "sore neck" I thought "uh oh" but you actually sound genuine and this punk needs to be taught a lesson.

Inform your Insurance Co and get back onto the Cops regarding him having no insurance.

Is it beyond the realms of possibility that somebody can actually have a sore neck after a shunt? I thought this when I read you giving it the "uh oh"...

endacl wrote: »
    Is it beyond the realms of possibility that somebody can actually have a sore neck after a shunt? I thought this when I read you giving it the "uh oh"...

we have reached such a point in our claim culture and with insurance fraud , that unless they already had enough money that the claim would mean nothing, I would struggle to believe anyone with a 'sore neck' after a car accident. Sad really as there are genuine cases, but thats where we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Gratsy

I already have an existing neck injury from a previous accident and it is almost always sore. This "shunt" has just flared it up. At least i hope its that simple. Ive been very unlucky when i think about how little i actually drive on the roads. An average of 15 minutes a day. Maybe i should just report the no insurance thing instead if using it to threaten him. Its small money in the grand scheme of things but money is tight right now so repair would need to wait a few weeks. Who do i report the no insurance to? The garda? The one i spoke to about the accident was very uninterested when i mentioned the smell of weed. He still had a disc in the window for insurance but thats the expired policy. Tax was out. Nct was new. He was also on a learner permit with nobody in the car.

endacl wrote: »

Nothing's beyond the realms of possibility obviously. Its to do with probability. And with the amount of people claiming whiplash in this Country coupled with the OP's description of the incident it would appear unlikely - to me at least - that any genuine injury might have occurred.
    Gratsy wrote: »
    I didn't hear any skidding, his car was a small car and mine is a large heavy saloon, but it still managed to shunt me forward a couple of feet.I didn't see anything more than a mark on the rear bumper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Never think people are as decent as you are. Never give them a chance to 'do the right thing'. Modern Ireland doesn't allow for that. Anyone who says otherwise OP has yet to put that to the test

Nothing's beyond the realms of possibility obviously. Its to do with probability. And with the amount of people claiming whiplash in this Country coupled with the OP's description of the incident it would appear unlikely - to me at least - that any genuine injury might have occurred.

See my other post. I would agree otherwise, without going into details of low speed collisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

If it pushed his car forward a few feet it was a decent shunt. The reason there was no skidding is that almost every car has ABS now.

I think it's uncalled for to be attacking the OP for having a sore neck, particularly when he said he had no interest in claiming.

@OP, did you go down to the garda station or just ring them? It would be better to go down and make a detailed report. If you are claiming from the MIBI, (and why not, we pay into it for these exact situations) they will need to see that you went about it the right way.

Gratsy you have enough to go on with the non-insurance. Once you start with all that extra-curricular you might come across as a ranter (hence perhaps the uninterested response you got). Once the Cops come across the guy they'll do the rest.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I reckon you've been more than decent OP. Time to toughen now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Never think people are as decent as you are. Never give them a chance to 'do the right thing'. Modern Ireland doesn't allow for that. Anyone who says otherwise OP has yet to put that to the test
    Too true.

God forbid I'm ever in a situation in the future but I'll be calling the gardai first and then straight onto the other parties insurance company to verify the policy is valid right there and then on scene.

If it is valid start the claim there and then, if it isn't let the attending garda know and let them deal with it.

I don't want someone to be screwed by insurance for a tip as much as the next person however there is nothing to stop someone settling a claim against their policy with their insurance co after the fact so it won't affect their premium. And if they want to pay up themselves for repairs out of their own pocket you can always withdraw the claim against their policy, again saving them a premium hike.

If you wait the only person who will ultimately face being screwed and out of pocket - is you.

Learnt that the hard way and still out of pocket for it.

@OP: You need to lodge a claim through MIBI. Forget seeing your repair bills settled anytime soon but best get the claim in motion ASAP.

pablo128 wrote: »
    I think it's uncalled for to be attacking the OP.

Yes. I attacked the OP....

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭SteM

On a learner permit, no tax, no insurance. You've given him every chance to walk away from a lot of trouble for only €600 and he's too stupid to take it. OP, please report this clown to the Gardai asap. We don't need jokers like this on the road.

pablo128 wrote: »
    If it pushed his car forward a few feet it was a decent shunt. The reason there was no skidding is that almost every car has ABS now.

I think it's uncalled for to be attacking the OP for having a sore neck, particularly when he said he had no interest in claiming.

@OP, did you go down to the garda station or just ring them? It would be better to go down and make a detailed report. If you are claiming from the MIBI, (and why not, we pay into it for these exact situations) they will need to see that you went about it the right way.

I reported it to the Gardai straight away. I went up to them within an hour. I wanted to have everything in order because I have heard of people getting screwed when they didnt do things right. I reported it to my own insurance but said I wasnt claiming. The reason I didnt call the Gardai at the scene was because there were no serious injuries and I just wanted to get home. I also didnt want to get the lad into serious trouble. In hindsight I should have just waited and stuck it out but I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. Lesson learned.

I rang the Gardai to ask if the lad had produced any insurance and the Garda said he has 10 days. I told him that the lads insurer said his policy had expired. He told me to contact mibi. He seemed totally uninterested about someone driving around with no insurance. Nothing else I can do there is there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

I rang the Gardai to ask if the lad had produced any insurance and the Garda said he has 10 days. I told him that the lads insurer said his policy had expired. He told me to contact mibi. He seemed totally uninterested about someone driving around with no insurance. Nothing else I can do there is there?

I think you have done all you reasonably can. If you could get an incident number from the gardai that might be needed for MIBI. I personally would still persist in trying to get cash out of this guy, if for nothing else to save yourself the hassle of going through claiming and waiting potentially for months to be compensated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I'm surprised it took so long for the Gardaí to show they've no interest.
    Reporting an accident after it happens is pointless, i've first hand experience of it. They'll also have no interest in his lack of insurance, driving alone, no tax and claims of drug driving.

Why?

Because it's all in the past and nothing can be proved. They need to be caught in the act to be arrested. If this dude decides to hang up and never answer again, there's not a lot you can do with no footage or witnesses. You might, just might, get the Gardai to call out to his house and put him on the spot, but if he denies it, it's game over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I think reading what you say there and breaking it down .

Gardai have given him 10 days . he's in trouble with them if it turns out he has no insurance , tax etc . but thinking that's nothing to do with you .

Your job is to contact mibi to get your claim in because it is what it is . he's uninsured or unable to pay .

I didn't read Into mibi but maybe they try to sort claim with other party??

I lost out years ago , neighbor hit my Audi, scratched rear of car and damaged light, told me to get it fixed and send bill. Did it and neighbor never paid it .its a balls gratzy !!!

I'm surprised it took so long for the Gardaí to show they've no interest.
    Reporting an accident after it happens is pointless, i've first hand experience of it. They'll also have no interest in his lack of insurance, driving alone, no tax and claims of drug driving.

Why?

Because it's all in the past and nothing can be proved. They need to be caught in the act to be arrested. If this dude decides to hang up and never answer again, there's not a lot you can do with no footage or witnesses. You might, just might, get the Gardai to call out to his house and put him on the spot, but if he denies it, it's game over.

I do have a text message with him admitting to rear ending me and saying he would sort out the cost of the damage. Would be hard to deny that if push came to shove. I will leave it a day or two and see if i can get the car done cheaper if i ignore the cosmetic damage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I do have a text message with him admitting to rear ending me and saying he would sort out the cost of the damage. Would be hard to deny that if push came to shove. I will leave it a day or two and see if i can get the car done cheaper if i ignore the cosmetic damage

I wouldn't touch car . leave it alone for while . does it really need to be fixed .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

You're too nice! Full whack or nothing. Chap that hit me, I was certain would do a runner, but ended up stumping up €1800 cash. If the Gardai actually come through, you'll be kicking yourself you let him off with less.

I wouldn't touch car . leave it alone for while . does it really need to be fixed .

Garage said i should get the main damage done right away. The rain is leaking into the boot and has condensation precipitation in the spare wheel section which happens to house the battery. The battery itself was wet. The cosmetic stuff im not too bothered about but it could get worse unless the leak is fixed and sealing off the boot area is not an option. Buggies and stuff need to go in there.

You're too nice! Full whack or nothing. Chap that hit me, I was certain would do a runner, but ended up stumping up €1800 cash. If the Gardai actually come through, you'll be kicking yourself you let him off with less.

I would expect the full amount to be paid. I would just perhaps get the important part fixed first because it needs to be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Don't be the nice guy here, you will get ****ed over. Happened to me twice.

First time was stolen car, ok no option but to go through mibi but I still had to cover the excess myself.

second time a local man hit me, I tried to be nice, turned out he had no insurance and Garda didn't care, i had to go through my own insurance, he agreed to pay my insurance company back in instalments which he never did so I lost my no claims bonus, plus stuck with excess payment again. It was his smugness air of untouchability that was the worst. It resulted in me resorting to doing things I am not proud of to get paid but nobody cared, Garda, insurance companies, mibi, it was a disaster. But I did get paid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

OP, did he actually say he wasn't paying? Or, is he not answering the phone?
    How much time has elapsed since the crash date?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement