Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hit by uninsured driver :(

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

SteM wrote: »
    On a learner permit, no tax, no insurance. You've given him every chance to walk away from a lot of trouble for only €600 and he's too stupid to take it. OP, please report this clown to the Gardai asap. We don't need jokers like this on the road.

OP, you were more than fair with this guy. Turn the tables and say you tipped him, ambulance, fire brigade and solicitor would be on the job for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Kensington wrote: »
    God forbid I'm ever in a situation in the future but I'll be calling the gardai first and then straight onto the other parties insurance company to verify the policy is valid right there and then on scene.

X100

Had similar happen to me only the scumbag reversed into me at a junction.

Didn't seem much so didn't call them at the time but when they got involved later on the Guards were worse then useless.

He had given all false details but I took his reg and we found him that way. No licence, tax or insurance.

I was eventually asked to attend court. Took a day off work, went in only to find that they had forgotten to summons him.

At that point I decided to just cut my losses. The guards clearly weren't competent enough to sort it.

I sincerely hope karma sorted the scrote out but then maybe given the fact that he was a scrote, it already had :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

While you're spending your time agonising about this prick, he's having a good laugh into his bong at you, that's if he spares a thought for you at all.

And we wonder why our insurance is going through the roof.

Find a solicitor before he claims you reversed into his car.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Gratsy

While you're spending your time agonising about this prick, he's having a good laugh into his bong at you, that's if he spares a thought for you at all.

And we wonder why our insurance is going through the roof.

Find a solicitor before he claims you reversed into his car.

I am not concerned about this guy laughing into his bong. In gods honesty I really have pity on the chap. I see from his license that he is from a very socially disadvantaged area and while his attitude is poor and quite frankly, idiotic; I completely understand his paranoia if I am to be judgemental of his drug induced state and the way in which the chap was brought up. I dont think like that and too many people automatically jump on you when you mention a sore neck. That is why I tried to explain my story in the first post but some people still seen this as a claimers attitude. I understand this too. Our community is full of dishonest and unnecessary claims. I would only claim if the loss was significant. My neck is a bit sore but it was sore anyway. The damage to the car is minimal. I can probably get the necessary repairs done for half the quote and ignore the cosmetic damage.

I have notified the Gardai about the accident. I have notified my own insurer and the young lads insurer about the accident. I have a couple of photos of the damage to my car. I contacted my solicitor to inform him of the accident. Everything is above board so far. I will contact the Gardai and seek an incident number today and pass on the contact details of the young lad. It will then be up to them to chase up his non insurance and I will have done my duty. The spike in neck pain will probably subside soon. It has only been a few days since it happened. A big thanks to all for replies given here.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I wish I had your levels of patience and understanding OP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭endagibson

As per this thread OP, driving with no insurance is perfectly fine with a lot of folks, but as you're finding out, it's a real hassle when you're on the receiving end and you're now out of pocket.

Gardai. Now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

endagibson wrote: »
    As per this thread OP, driving with no insurance is perfectly fine with a lot of folks, but as you're finding out, it's a real hassle when you're on the receiving end and you're now out of pocket.Gardai. Now.

To be fair not a single person on that thread said it was perfectly fine or anything close to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭endagibson

Jesus. wrote: »
    To be fair not a single person on that thread said it was perfectly fine or anything close to it.
    Let's just say that some of the posts were less than constructive. ;)
    What are you missing? A lot between the ears by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Not sure why you wouldn't report a driver potentially stoned from smoking the weed you smelled and who crashed in to you and who has no insurance....

What would he need to do before you report him.? Run over a lollipop lady and a bunch of kids? ???

If you don't report him you really do deserve to get shafted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I might have let it go if the guy was insured, had taxed his car and wasnt smelling like a weed plant.
    But since it is completely the opposite, hang him out to dry please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Not sure why you wouldn't report a driver potentially stoned from smoking the weed you smelled and who crashed in to you and who has no insurance....

What would he need to do before you report him.? Run over a lollipop lady and a bunch of kids? ???

If you don't report him you really do deserve to get shafted.
    Did you even read the op's posts.....bruh??
    It's posts like yours that make threads like this decend into aimless name calling etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Gratsy wrote: »
    I am not concerned about this guy laughing into his bong. In gods honesty I really have pity on the chap. I see from his license that he is from a very socially disadvantaged area and while his attitude is poor and quite frankly, idiotic; I completely understand his paranoia if I am to be judgemental of his drug induced state and the way in which the chap was brought up. I dont think like that and too many people automatically jump on you when you mention a sore neck. That is why I tried to explain my story in the first post but some people still seen this as a claimers attitude. I understand this too. Our community is full of dishonest and unnecessary claims. I would only claim if the loss was significant. My neck is a bit sore but it was sore anyway. The damage to the car is minimal. I can probably get the necessary repairs done for half the quote and ignore the cosmetic damage.

I have notified the Gardai about the accident. I have notified my own insurer and the young lads insurer about the accident. I have a couple of photos of the damage to my car. I contacted my solicitor to inform him of the accident. Everything is above board so far. I will contact the Gardai and seek an incident number today and pass on the contact details of the young lad. It will then be up to them to chase up his non insurance and I will have done my duty. The spike in neck pain will probably subside soon. It has only been a few days since it happened. A big thanks to all for replies given here.

You mention an incident number, did the Gardaí actually take a report of the incident at the station or did they just tell you to contact your insurer, MIBI etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

we have reached such a point in our claim culture and with insurance fraud , that unless they already had enough money that the claim would mean nothing, I would struggle to believe anyone with a 'sore neck' after a car accident. Sad really as there are genuine cases, but thats where we are.

I know this is off topic, but the attitude quoted is terrible. I was in an accident a while ago, other persons fault. First the guy offered to pay to fix my car, once he heard that I was injured, he hasn't been in contact, won't take my calls or hasn't informed his insurance. So I am now with a damaged car and physio bills all because of some idiot with thinks I am taken the piss. Not once did I mention to him or his insurance that I want to put an injury claim in, only that I wanted my car fixed and my physio and other medical bills paid. But I am not seriously thinking of banging in a PIC.

Back on topic, OP, report the driver to the guards, same as you would with a drunk driver. Next time he might do a lot more damage and leave someone with bigger bills or worse.

You mention an incident number, did the Gardaí actually take a report of the incident at the station or did they just tell you to contact your insurer, MIBI etc?

I gave a brief description to the Garda who came out. I passed on the other drivers details, including name, address vehicle registration and I think I gave his phone number, but can't be sure. I may head up tonight, or tomorrow morning and fill in the blanks to be sure they have what they need to do their job.

I gave the other driver until today to get back to me and I heard nothing. Silly move. If his attitude is to walk away from responsibility, I will make damn well sure he is landed in the proverbial. I will follow up with an official written complaint of the incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Hello everyone. This is a little long, please forgive me.

I was hit by a young lad a couple of days ago from behind when I was stopped at the entrance to a roundabout. I didn't hear any skidding, his car was a small car and mine is a large heavy saloon, but it still managed to shunt me forward a couple of feet. I was pretty tired, so just wanted to go home and I didn't see anything more than a mark on the rear bumper. I quickly took his details (phone number, snap of insurance and license). There was an awful strong smell of weed from him and his car. I rang his phone so he would have my number and I told him I would get the car checked out and see if there was any unseen damage. I expected there to be nothing and to forget it happened. I reported the incident to the Gardaí of course as soon as I could.

So a friend stopped off to drop something into me after I got home and asked what happened the car. The boot lid was a bit raised and bumper was lower. I hadn't noticed until looking at it from a few feet back. The boot opens and closes fine, but the bumper is damaged and boot floor pushed up. I got a couple of quotes while out and one is really reasonable at under 600 quid. I was trying to keep the cost low to avoid hitting the young lads insurance. My neck is pretty sore and stiff, but I have no interest in making a claim. I was involved in a car accident a few years ago and got a whiplash injury in my neck. That still has not settled and to be honest I really could do without the stress of adding litigation to litigation. Getting the car fixed is all I want done.

I gave him the quote figures and then he wanted me to go to a place he picked. It's out of my way and I don't have the time to be driving around to places to suit him, or to get the car fixed by his mates. I got a funny feeling about him when I was talking to him on the phone and he was insinuating that I was lying about the damage. I invited him to come look for himself and he didn't respond to the offer. I am hardly going to cause more damage to give the repair shop a bigger pay day. His attitude on the phone was shocking for someone in his position. I was getting the distinct impression that he was not going to pay for the damage. I rang his insurance company. The insurance was cancelled recently.

So I am at odds as to what I should do. Part of me is thinking just let it go, that it's not worth pursuing. Get the car sorted myself and forget it. Then I am also with the OH in thinking that this guy is driving around while high on drugs, with no insurance and no tax. Thankfully he hit my car, which is big and heavy. He could easily have hit a similar size car and caused serious injuries to others. What do you think lads? Just drop it?

Maybe a beer is all I need. ugh

sorry havent read any of the following posts.
    If hes not playing ball tell him you'll be claiming for whiplash and repairs at a main dealer. Might soften his tone a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

tcawley29 wrote: »
    sorry havent read any of the following posts.
    If hes not playing ball tell him you'll be claiming for whiplash and repairs at a main dealer. Might soften his tone a bit

Well you should have read the rest of the posts. You would have known that the driver is confirmed as having no insurance, and doesn't look like he's paying up either, so it really makes no difference to the driver where the OP gets his car fixed and what he claims for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

pablo128 wrote: »
    Well you should have read the rest of the posts. You would have known that the driver is confirmed as having no insurance, and doesn't look like he's paying up either, so it really makes no difference to the driver where the OP gets his car fixed and what he claims for.

surely the mibi will sort it........eventually

I dropped into the station today to give the Gardai all the details and to get an incident number. There was nothing on the system about the accident. The Gard said that my car registration was on the system for the date the accident happened. I asked if I could make a report there and then. I was told I could not because the other Gard might have started proceedings and demanded details from the other driver. I asked if that were case, would it not have been put on the system. The Gard said no and that the unit I would have to speak to would not be in until next week. I left feeling overwhelmingly confident that my complaint would be dealt with and with admiration for our police force and how they did everything possible to help me to help them report this uninsured, untaxed and stoned driver.

I sent an email through to the station to inform them of the situation and included all the details they need and asked if they could advise me what they need (if anything). The only thing I forgot to mention was that I have the sms text message that shows the other driver admitting to rear ending my car. It is now clear to me why people don't bother reporting so many things to the gardai. There was nothing on the system. I had taken time out of my day to report this and the Gard behind the counter wouldn't take a report. Are they not supposed to log an incident and generate a report once a complaint is made? This happened almost a week ago and there is nothing noted. What if I had decided to make a claim? They would be impeding a mibi investigation because there was no report logged. I'm a very patient person but this has annoyed me.

On a positive note. The extra pain I had in my neck has settled down to its normal level so it appears I have not suffered an injury from this incident and I at least feel good about that. Another injury is the last thing I need.

It sounds like you made a balls of it Gratsy to be fair. As another poster said, if the Cops aren't called to the incident and its only reported later then there's not a lot they can do.

It sounds like you made a balls of it Gratsy to be fair. As another poster said, if the Cops aren't called to the incident and its only reported later then there's not a lot they can do.

What is with the negative, condescending attitude? It's really not helpful. If you've nothing useful to add, then please don't post here.

I believe I went about it the right way. If everyone called the cops for every RTA, there would not be enough cops to go around. You are not supposed to call them unless there is an injury, or if there is a suspicion of drink driving.It's a complete waste of their time to call them out to every little bump.

I had no reason to suspect the other driver had no insurance. I did make sure I had all his details, including a photo of his learners permit and the details of his discs. So, really, without the benefit of hindsight, there is nothing else I could have, or should have done, save for the smell of weed. But I just wanted to get home. I had a long day. I was pretty sore and was tired, so did not fancy waiting an hour, or more for a car to be sent out.

• Advertisement

What is with the negative, condescending attitude? It's really not helpful. If you've nothing useful to add, then please don't post here.

I believe I went about it the right way. If everyone called the cops for every RTA, there would not be enough cops to go around. You are not supposed to call them unless there is an injury, or if there is a suspicion of drink driving. It's a complete waste of their time to call them out to every little bump.

I had no reason to suspect the other driver had no insurance. I did make sure I had all his details, including a photo of his learners permit and the details of his discs. So, really, without the benefit of hindsight, there is nothing else I could have, or should have done, save for the smell of weed. But I just wanted to get home. I had a long day. I was pretty sore and was tired, so did not fancy waiting an hour, or more for a car to be sent out.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭pointelle

I already have an existing neck injury from a previous accident and it is almost always sore. This "shunt" has just flared it up. At least i hope its that simple.
    you have my sympathy there sore neck all the time too, hit the anti inflammatories and a physio (!) to stop it getting worse and other complications , neuromuscular work can chase away neck pain for a long time

Gratsy, here's that guy's post:
    I'm surprised it took so long for the Gardaí to show they've no interest.
    Reporting an accident after it happens is pointless, i've first hand experience of it. They'll also have no interest in his lack of insurance, driving alone, no tax and claims of drug driving.

Why?

Because it's all in the past and nothing can be proved. They need to be caught in the act to be arrested. If this dude decides to hang up and never answer again, there's not a lot you can do with no footage or witnesses. You might, just might, get the Gardai to call out to his house and put him on the spot, but if he denies it, it's game over.

I am unsure of why are requoting someone elses post. I would add that his post was not one of condescension and simply one of his own experience. You on the other hand took a different tone that was unhelpful and does not add to the thread in any meaningful way.

To respond to the other guys post I would say that I too have first hand experience of reporting two accidents. I was involved in an accident almost identical to the one in my original post a few years ago. I suffered a neck injury that I continue to have problems with to this very day. I phoned the Gardai and informed them of the accident and that I had an injury. After waiting over an hour I called again and they said their units were busy and to wait a few more minutes. Another twenty minutes and I rang again. They said to come to the station and report it. The other driver surprisingly hung around all this time but could not go to the station. The second accident I witnessed a car hitting a motorbike. The guy on the bike had some scrapes and his bike was destroyed. I waited close to an hour for the Gardai. I left them my details. I never got a call about that accident. I think they only come when there is a serious injury.

I see now why you quoted the other poster. It is late, I missed it. But saying I made a balls of it when I very clearly did all I was able to do is not in any way helpful. I was not out to get the other driver into trouble even though he was driving while under the influence of drugs (most likely). If I was to report every person driving and breaking laws I would have a very high phone bill. Have you seen the amount of phone use when people drive on our roads. crazy crazy amount of people. I will continue to follow up on this until something happens. I am as persistent as I am patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

If you keep getting the run around from the Gardai, contact the Garda Ombudsman. The Gardai should be held to account for doing their jobs competently.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭utmbuilder

Uninsured drivers to valid disks has really gotten out of control. The insurance companys thought increasing the prices so high would get them out of their hole but I reckon they will have even bigger short falls from the amount of people not buying insurance.

terrible really, hope your ok maybe your insurance will cover you as some do if hit by uninsured drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I'm in no way calling the you out here but I am amazed an insurance company told you a policy belonging to someone else was cancelled on the phone. I used to work in the motor trade and the vast majority of companies would give no info about a policy without verification that it was with the policy holders consent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Jayop wrote: »
    I'm in no way calling the you out here but I am amazed an insurance company told you a policy belonging to someone else was cancelled on the phone. I used to work in the motor trade and the vast majority of companies would give no info about a policy without verification that it was with the policy holders consent.

But the OP wasn't looking for details, they were looking to claim against a driver.
    An insurance company saying "that policy is no longer valid" isn't really telling you the person is uninsured (although of course in this case that seems highly likely). If they weren't allowed to do that. claiming against another driver would be impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

But the OP wasn't looking for details, they were looking to claim against a driver.
    An insurance company saying "that policy is no longer valid" isn't really telling you the person is uninsured (although of course in this case that seems highly likely). If they weren't allowed to do that. claiming against another driver would be impossible.

Like I said I'm not saying he's wrong. I'm just surprised. Do most insurance claims start with a call from a claimant to the guilty party's insurance?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement