Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hit by uninsured driver :(

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,682 ✭✭✭corks finest

Gratsy wrote: »
    Hello everyone. This is a little long, please forgive me.

I was hit by a young lad a couple of days ago from behind when I was stopped at the entrance to a roundabout. I didn't hear any skidding, his car was a small car and mine is a large heavy saloon, but it still managed to shunt me forward a couple of feet. I was pretty tired, so just wanted to go home and I didn't see anything more than a mark on the rear bumper. I quickly took his details (phone number, snap of insurance and license). There was an awful strong smell of weed from him and his car. I rang his phone so he would have my number and I told him I would get the car checked out and see if there was any unseen damage. I expected there to be nothing and to forget it happened. I reported the incident to the Garda of course as soon as I could.

So a friend stopped off to drop something into me after I got home and asked what happened the car. The boot lid was a bit raised and bumper was lower. I hadn't noticed until looking at it from a few feet back. The boot opens and closes fine, but the bumper is damaged and boot floor pushed up. I got a couple of quotes while out and one is really reasonable at under 600 quid. I was trying to keep the cost low to avoid hitting the young lads insurance. My neck is pretty sore and stiff, but I have no interest in making a claim. I was involved in a car accident a few years ago and got a whiplash injury in my neck. That still has not settled and to be honest I really could do without the stress of adding litigation to litigation. Getting the car fixed is all I want done.

I gave him the quote figures and then he wanted me to go to a place he picked. It's out of my way and I don't have the time to be driving around to places to suit him, or to get the car fixed by his mates. I got a funny feeling about him when I was talking to him on the phone and he was insinuating that I was lying about the damage. I invited him to come look for himself and he didn't respond to the offer. I am hardly going to cause more damage to give the repair shop a bigger pay day. His attitude on the phone was shocking for someone in his position. I was getting the distinct impression that he was not going to pay for the damage. I rang his insurance company. The insurance was cancelled recently.

So I am at odds as to what I should do. Part of me is thinking just let it go, that it's not worth pursuing. Get the car sorted myself and forget it. Then I am also with the OH in thinking that this guy is driving around while high on drugs, with no insurance and no tax. Thankfully he hit my car, which is big and heavy. He could easily have hit a similar size car and caused serious injuries to others. What do you think lads? Just drop it?

Maybe a beer is all I need. ugh
    Back to the lawman

• Registered Users Posts: 8,682 ✭✭✭corks finest

Gratsy wrote: »
    Hello everyone. This is a little long, please forgive me.

I was hit by a young lad a couple of days ago from behind when I was stopped at the entrance to a roundabout. I didn't hear any skidding, his car was a small car and mine is a large heavy saloon, but it still managed to shunt me forward a couple of feet. I was pretty tired, so just wanted to go home and I didn't see anything more than a mark on the rear bumper. I quickly took his details (phone number, snap of insurance and license). There was an awful strong smell of weed from him and his car. I rang his phone so he would have my number and I told him I would get the car checked out and see if there was any unseen damage. I expected there to be nothing and to forget it happened. I reported the incident to the Garda of course as soon as I could.

So a friend stopped off to drop something into me after I got home and asked what happened the car. The boot lid was a bit raised and bumper was lower. I hadn't noticed until looking at it from a few feet back. The boot opens and closes fine, but the bumper is damaged and boot floor pushed up. I got a couple of quotes while out and one is really reasonable at under 600 quid. I was trying to keep the cost low to avoid hitting the young lads insurance. My neck is pretty sore and stiff, but I have no interest in making a claim. I was involved in a car accident a few years ago and got a whiplash injury in my neck. That still has not settled and to be honest I really could do without the stress of adding litigation to litigation. Getting the car fixed is all I want done.

I gave him the quote figures and then he wanted me to go to a place he picked. It's out of my way and I don't have the time to be driving around to places to suit him, or to get the car fixed by his mates. I got a funny feeling about him when I was talking to him on the phone and he was insinuating that I was lying about the damage. I invited him to come look for himself and he didn't respond to the offer. I am hardly going to cause more damage to give the repair shop a bigger pay day. His attitude on the phone was shocking for someone in his position. I was getting the distinct impression that he was not going to pay for the damage. I rang his insurance company. The insurance was cancelled recently.

So I am at odds as to what I should do. Part of me is thinking just let it go, that it's not worth pursuing. Get the car sorted myself and forget it. Then I am also with the OH in thinking that this guy is driving around while high on drugs, with no insurance and no tax. Thankfully he hit my car, which is big and heavy. He could easily have hit a similar size car and caused serious injuries to others. What do you think lads? Just drop it?

Maybe a beer is all I need. ugh
    Back to the lawmanif the cop doesent take u serious, ask for an appointment with the local super,,,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement