Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chemex? Any different to other forums of filter?

• 13-07-2016 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

I have a moka pot but am thinking of getting something that will produce a rounder smoother flavoured brew.

I don't have the budget to go to a high end machine so I have been considering a chemex.

Given that it's just a filter, does it really produce results that are significantly different from say a French Press?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

It will be different alright, you could get a V60 very cheap if you just wanted to try something different.

What sort of grinder are you using (if any)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Filter definitely has somewhat of a different taste to French Press but I prefer the cleaner texture and taste, less prone to acidity.

Aeropress and V60 are pretty great value pieces of kit - got myself a V60 set for €25 for the cup, serving jug, and filters (cheaper online) and am loving it. It doesn't cost much to get something that produces really great coffee. The Aeropress in particular is a great portable solution and pretty much cleans itself when it's finished. Kalita Wave is also another similar pourover.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Got a Kalita Wave 185 a couple of weeks ago, much better tasting cup of coffee than my Gaggia C can produce.
    Can taste all the fruit flavours (or otherwise) as indicated on packets compared to Gaggia. Very clean cup of coffee.

My favoured method now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Planet X wrote: »
    Got a Kalita Wave 185 a couple of weeks ago, much better tasting cup of coffee than my Gaggia C can produce.
    Can taste all the fruit flavours (or otherwise) as indicated on packets compared to Gaggia. Very clean cup of coffee.

My favoured method now.

What grinder are you using with it? Sounds interesting!

Compak K3 Touch Advanced, upgraded from a Rancilio Rocky. Huge difference from the Rocky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Funny, I got a kalita a couple of months ago, and prefer it now to aeropress.

The encore I got from you is still going strong.

Interested in hearing about the difference a grinder upgrade has brought to your filter coffee quality.

I reckoned it would be more forgiving than an espresso machine, using a cheaper grinder?

Good to hear the Encore is still going well.

Stepless Compak has a more powerful motor (210w v 140w Rocky), bigger burr set (58mm v 50mm) and revs slower (1340rpm v 1725rpm), so I'm assuming it "caresses" :D:D:D the beans more than grinding the .uck outta them.
    Those in the know (not me) seem to slant to the more powerful motor, bigger burr set, urgradeitis.

Difference to filter coffee.
    For months and months, I wasn't getting a great cuppa from the Gaggia C., was grinding too fine and dosing too much. Ironically it was my wife that suggested going coarser and less coffee. (The embarrassment of it all, and she rarely drinks coffee :eek:)
    Coffee came out "brighter", could taste the flavours a bit more.

Now with the Compak I can and do, fine tune a grind when opening a new bag, freshness, bean type etc.
    Now I'm definitely getting the fruit flavours from a, more so, Kalita pour over.
    I can taste the orange in the latest batch.
    Last week I could taste the cherry/red berry flavours.

The Compak is a cracking grinder and have no regrets.

Compak K3.jpg

Advertisement