Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Bank charged me wrong amount

• 13-07-2016 9:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭

I didn't think bank errors happened but basically this is what has happened.

My statement said I was to pay 1769 euro but I got a refund which was confirmed back onto the credit card of 718 euro. I checked my bank account and noticed that tesco had taken 1419 euro. Now using my basic maths skills

1769 - 718 = 1051 not 1419.

I phoned up yesterday and spoke to a lady who went through the calculations and couldn't explain it and spoke to a manager and was supposed to get back to me today but didn't hear anything so I phoned up and got speaking to another person who went through the same calculation with their manager and couldn't explain it. They are now going to talk to the department that issues the statement to try and figure it out.

It's kind of scary. Has this ever happened to anyone else? I'm a bit peeved to be down 300 odd euro but more concerned that this could have happened in the past and if they can't account for it now maybe other money has vanished...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭daheff

Do you have proof of the refund and initial payable amount (eg a receipt /invoice etc)?

If so, talk to your credit card provider and let them know of the issue.

They can/will issue a chargeback against Tesco (for the over charged amount) -unfortunately had to do something similar in the past. Takes a bit of time, but will work.

but I'd suggest giving Tesco a chance to fix the issue. Let your card provider know asap, but tell them Tesco are working on it, and if Tesco wont fix it you will contact them again and request a chargeback for the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I think you need to get a latest version of the statement and see what transactions were taking place around that time. These systems don't tend to be wrong, and if you're using your card frequently, there can be a lot of pending/hold transactions and movement. Eventually though, it would all come right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

daheff wrote: »
    Do you have proof of the refund and initial payable amount (eg a receipt /invoice etc)?

If so, talk to your credit card provider and let them know of the issue.

They can/will issue a chargeback against Tesco (for the over charged amount) -unfortunately had to do something similar in the past. Takes a bit of time, but will work.

but I'd suggest giving Tesco a chance to fix the issue. Let your card provider know asap, but tell them Tesco are working on it, and if Tesco wont fix it you will contact them again and request a chargeback for the difference.

Sorry maybe I wasnt clear, Tesco are my credit card provider. They are the ones issuing the statement .

I do have written confirmation from the company refunding me ( I cancelled insurance policy and was due full refund ) , Tesco Bank even confirmed they see the refund their end.

It's possible that the refund didn't reach the account before the time Tesco applied for payment but that doesn't explain why they didn't charge the exact amount that was on my statement. The refund would then just go towards next months statement...

Hopefully will get a call clarifying today..

dudara wrote: »
    I think you need to get a latest version of the statement and see what transactions were taking place around that time. These systems don't tend to be wrong, and if you're using your card frequently, there can be a lot of pending/hold transactions and movement. Eventually though, it would all come right.

The statement the credit card company sends you should be exactly what they apply for when they collect direct debit. Any transactions AFTER this should be included on the next statement. The statement I got did NOT show the refund so I would expect to pay the full amount but I was charged less the only reason that can be is due to a refund back onto the card however there is nearly 300 euro in the difference. That's the bit that is weird. If the refund is impacting what I was charged it should be for the full amount.

I'm fairly sure it will all work its way through but it's just a bit weird and the fact that so far no one in Tesco bank can account for it worries me!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Xcellor wrote: »
    It's kind of scary. Has this ever happened to anyone else? I'm a bit peeved to be down 300 odd euro but more concerned that this could have happened in the past and if they can't account for it now maybe other money has vanished...

Mistakes happen all the time! That is why they send you statements with E+OE printed on it. You are expected to check your statements and report errors if you find them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭daheff

ok..I'm having a hard time keeping up with this! So far I understand this

Your card provider is Tesco

you had a bill for 1769. You have a credit due of 718.

Tesco charged you 1419 for the end of the last billing cycle.

Are you sure the amount taken from your account is for this cycle and not the last one (maybe you havent been charged the 1769 yet?).
    If the 718 credit wasnt on the bill for 1769, then it *should* be applied to the next bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭homer911

Its certainly possible that Tesco applied the refund to the due balance, less any additional transactions charged between the statement date and the refund date.

While there is no online mechanism for checking your transactions with Tesco, you could ring 1800 555743 and get an automated system to read you all transactions since your last statement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Xcellor wrote: »
    I didn't think bank errors happened but basically this is what has happened.

My statement said I was to pay 1769 euro but I got a refund which was confirmed back onto the credit card of 718 euro. I checked my bank account and noticed that tesco had taken 1419 euro. Now using my basic maths skills

1769 - 718 = 1051 not 1419.

I phoned up yesterday and spoke to a lady who went through the calculations and couldn't explain it and spoke to a manager and was supposed to get back to me today but didn't hear anything so I phoned up and got speaking to another person who went through the same calculation with their manager and couldn't explain it. They are now going to talk to the department that issues the statement to try and figure it out.

Was the €718 refund a single transaction, or two or more transactions.

Do you have the printed statement yet? perhaps another transaction hit the account.

Was the €718 refund a single transaction, or two or more transactions.

Do you have the printed statement yet? perhaps another transaction hit the account.

Yes the 718 came back on in one payment on approx 20-21 June (i dont have next statement yet)

Statement included transactions between 18th May and 17th of June. Total owing 1769.76. Refund from AIG insurance 718.26 happened on 20th of June. But credit card collect 1419.78.

Expected

1769.76 -

Actual

Phoned them up again this morning, it's been escalated to their IT department because no one can explain the difference. There are no other refunds so the difference can only be down to the AIG refund but where on earth does 349.98 come from?

One thing is for sure I will be asking for all credit card statements and will be reconciling them against the last couple of years of transactions. If it can happen once it can happen twice. Depending on the outcome probably should report to regulator?

Advertisement