Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to letterkenny

Options
  • 13-07-2016 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi guys,
    Does anyone know if LETTERKENNY (DONEGAL) is a nice place to live?
    i've always loved the area but i get a lot of negative advice from friends when i tell them that i would like to move up there. Is it true that there is a lot of racism? Also in schools? (i'm black south american). I have a job offer, a very good one but i keep hearing all this negativity about this lovely place. Also, which areas are best to live in as i don't yet have my own transport?

HELP PLEASE!!!:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I think you will get racism in every part of the country. There are certainly a lot less non-white people in the county, most likely to do with job opportunities and remoteness than anything else.

Good and bad people everywhere, surround yourself with the good and the bad will be irrelevant.

I do not know anything about the schools, so cant help there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

The educate together school in Letterkenny has the biggest mix of different cultures. They are currently expanding but it may still be hard to get your kids in there as most ETs are oversubscribed. My friends daughter is very happy at that school.

As for racism, I think the majority of the younger generations here are more accustomed to different cultures. Some of the older generations can sometimes be not deliberately racist but perhaps a bit set in their ways and less understanding. You will get the odd person with extreme views everywhere you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Please don't miss out on the chance of a good job because of rumours. Unfortunately you will find ignorant people everywhere but you will also find far more who don't care what colour your skin is. All the schools in Letterkenny have children of all races. You may prefer Educate Together, especially if your children aren't Christians or you want a co-ed school, but you should look at the various options.
    You will find not having your own transport a bigger problem as public transport is poor to non-existent so if you can organise a car it will give you a lot more choices of places to live.

Advertisement