Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen King's It

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

"We all float down here. Oooooo yes we dooooooo HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

Creepy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

Loved the book apart from the ending. Enjoyed the mini series. Looking forward to it now after earlier reservations.

Read an interview with King where he said at one stage he was taking so much cocaine he had to plug up his nose to stop the blood dripping on his typewriter as he wrote :eek:

His drug (illegal and prescription) and alcohol abuse was crazy when he was younger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Tony EH wrote: »
    As said, it won't be in the film. They wouldn't dare.

As to "how bad" it is, I was more confused as to what was going on when I first read it at school. I had to read it again, because I wasn't sure that King went there, as it were. The enduring bit is that the girl wasn't sure if she bleeding or if one of the boys had "finished".

As an adult, I find that sort of shocking. As a lad in school, when I first read it, it didn't really bother me. But, I was still left wondering why it was in the book.

Probably King had a coke induced spurt of writing on evening and thought it was a great idea at the time.

I wonder if he has since regretted it.

Saw something on FB where he addressed that particular scene.

He basically said that it was written over 30 years ago and that the world was a very different place then.

It's been many years since i read the book but I don't recall it being particularly graphic or in anyway titillating and I read it was when I was a teenager so could get turned on by a strong breeze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

I would have thought 30 years ago it would have been an even bigger deal?

No, it's not graphic or titillating, but there's some places you just don't go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Saw something on FB where he addressed that particular scene.

He basically said that it was written over 30 years ago and that the world was a very different place then.

It's been many years since i read the book but I don't recall it being particularly graphic or in anyway titillating and I read it was when I was a teenager so could get turned on by a strong breeze.

Um, I don't know whether the world "was a very different place then", 30 years isn't that long really. But, I suppose some things may have been different. But that scene wouldn’t have raised any less eyebrows then, than it does now. It’s remarkable in its misstep and the sheer un-necessity of it.

I haven’t read the book in decades myself, but even then I felt that the story had turned a corner it didn’t need to. It wasn’t “titillating” as you say, but it still presents a real leftfield whack in a story that was quite conventional in many ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Saw IT! Wow that was enjoyable. Incredible performances from the child actors. Did go down slightly about 3/4 the way though but picked up again. Was slightly disappointed with the so called humour, but thoroughly enjoyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Pelvis wrote: »
    I would have thought 30 years ago it would have been an even bigger deal?

No, it's not graphic or titillating, but there's some places you just don't go.

Children experimenting with each other happens in real life, so I'm not sure why that shouldn't be addressed in fiction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

Saw a clip on YT of xxxxxxx...

Bit uncomfortable tbh...Certainly more graphic then the original

If that’s a spoiler please hide and tag it

If that’s a spoiler please hide and tag it

It's not a spoiler... Everyone knows it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭transylman

Enjoyed the movie. Visually, they really nailed it. The town, the period and the monster all looked right. Was traumatized by the original as a 10 year old. As an adult it was never going to generate the same response but it was still scarier than any other recent movie I have seen. Only niggle was it could have used more deep psychological scares like the Georgie scene at the start.
    Film is also crammed with easter eggs. Pay attention to background details for loads of references.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

Except me :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'm on holiday at the minute so gutted I couldn't go to the midnight screening in the cinema in... Derry.

I always laughed at the town being called Derry, it wasn't until I read the book over the past week that I found it that it is actually named after "our" Derry.

Excellent book, although fairly psychedelic ending so I'm not sure how that will translate to the second film.

Watched the original screen version today too, the ending was every bit as bad as I recall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Just saw it , Didn't really find it scary at all I don't think it was a good horror movie as such , but a fantastic film in every other way some fantastic comedy in it which I wasn't expecting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Yeah, I think as a horror it fell pretty flat. But it seemed well made and the kids were great. Some of the effects were great too.

Just saw it...

Apart from the Georgie scene and the projector scenes, it's not as bad

8.5 or 9/10 though.

Massively entertaining movie....Best I've seen in years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I never watched the show or read the book, so yes it is a spoiler.

If folks aren't au fait with even the most basic elements of the story, they're probably best avoiding a thread where the movie's being discussed in detail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Yamanoto wrote:
    If folks aren't au fait with even the most basic elements of the story, they're probably best avoiding a thread where the movie's being discussed in detail.

This. It's been in the public domain for 30 years, demanding spoiler tags at this stage is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

It's very simple. If it doesn't mention spoilers in the thread title, then don't ****in post spoilers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭smurf492

Very enjoyable bit suffered alot from the hype machine. Also the increase in age rating really didn't do a whole lot except for increased use of language and a small bit more gore while also incorporating more risky subject matter from the book which i wont go into here as i don't want to spoil anything for yhe uninitiated... Overall though very enjoyable one of the better films o have seen this year...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Pelvis wrote:
    It's very simple. If it doesn't mention spoilers in the thread title, then don't ****in post spoilers.

It's not a ****in spoiler though! The flippin trailer even references it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'm the most spoiler sensitive person out there but I have to agree that this isn't an issue.

It's essentially shown in the trailer for goodness sake.

Spoilered for the sensitive...
    They show Georgie being grabbed by Pennywise in the drain, then show him later appearing in the flooded basement saying spooky stuff like "you'll float too".

It's pretty clear that IT killed him.

The thing I'm not clear about, and I haven't seen the film yet but the impression I get is that:
    They show Georgie as missing (at least initially) rather than dead. The synopsis says that they go looking for Bill's missing brother, whereas in the book and the miniseries Georgie is killed instantly and the body left in the street.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I'm the most spoiler sensitive person out there but I have to agree that this isn't an issue.

It's essentially shown in the trailer for goodness sake.

Spoilered for the sensitive...
    They show Georgie being grabbed by Pennywise in the drain, then show him later appearing in the flooded basement saying spooky stuff like "you'll float too".

It's pretty clear that IT killed him.

The thing I'm not clear about, and I haven't seen the film yet but the impression I get is that:
    They show Georgie as missing (at least initially) rather than dead. The synopsis says that they go looking for Bill's missing brother, whereas in the book and the miniseries Georgie is killed instantly and the body left in the street.

Not sure how to do the spoiler thing but, to put it this way..In the most unspoilerish way...

We know but they don't know or least they hope so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Have seen this yet but the wife went last night. She screamed out loud at one stage. Said it was a great movie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Amy Adams is surely nailed on to play Beverly as an adult in the sequel?

amy-adams.jpg

Thought Mark Kermode's review was bang on.

It's an adventure / coming-of-age movie with elements of horror & could have done with being a little more scary.

Well made, good cast & certainly entertaining.

So the scariest part of the book "have done with being a little more scary" in film form.

That doesn't sound good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

It is much closer to a Super 8 or Stranger Things type of movie than a pure horror. In that regard, I think it was fantastic and very entertaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Saw it last night. Scary? Not in the slightest. In fact I thought it really reminded me of 'a nightmare on elm street' type of scary.....then they showed what was on in the cinema about 5 mins later.

One or two of the young lads were great craic.

Enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Watched it tonight. I thought it was excellent, if your a hardcore horror fan, expecting an out and out horror you might be a little bit disappointed, but if you can look past that, you will see a very well made movie. It looks brilliant. The music and sound editing is phenomenal and the humour was solid. Each kid had their own unique personality and each brought something to the table, the only exception here was Stan, who was completely anonymous, I kept laughing to myself at how bland he was, not faulting the actor or anything, he wasn't even poorly written, he was just a nothing character. Skarsgårds Pennywise was refreshingly differentl to Currys version, not better, not worse, just a new take which was just as horrifying. Pennywise wasn't the only villain, there were some very very dark undertones to some of the other antagonists, with the main bully and Bevs father being the worst. Definitely worth a trip to the cinema to see. I fully recommend it.

• Advertisement

The new Pennywise not as sinister as the old one. The make up is not very clown.

kerplun k wrote: »
    Pennywise wasn't the only villain, there were some very very dark undertones to some of the other protagonists, with the main bully and Bevs father being the worst.

I thought it interesting, that the cruelty inflicted at the hands of fellow townsfolk provided the films most unsettling moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Yamanoto wrote: »
    I thought it interesting, that the cruelty inflicted at the hands of fellow townsfolk provided the films most unsettling moments.

Yep, it was genuinely disturbing. Another standout character was Eddies mom, even tho she wasn't necessary evil, she was extremely unlikeable, I say that as a compliment, I don't know the name of the actress, but kudos to her, she done a terrific job of portraying an absolute cow of a human being. Oh, and the pharmacist as well was a complete knob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

It's interesting that every single adult in the film caused problems for the kids, from just annoying (librarian) to deeply disturbing (Barbara's father).

There was no adult the kids could turn to for support and guidence. Highlighted the importance of their friendship.

As interesting as all of the above sounds, it doesn't really sound anything like the book.

I was uncomfortable with the 80's setting. Thought the new Pennywise was, to be frank, shite, and now here that this is more like 'Stranger Things' than anything else and on top of everything, it could "have done with being a little more scary".

The more I hear about the film, the less it sounds like 'It' in any way, shape or form.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

Rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

Saw the film last night .really enjoyed it .it wasn't scary but just highly entertaining with some good laughs as well .I did prefer the actor who played bill in the tv movie this guy was just a bit bland I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

MysticMonk wrote: »
    Rubbish

Please tell me more :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

The kids were great, perfectly cast. Special mention for the kid that played Georgie and the actor who played Bev's father, what a sinister fcuker.

Skarsgaard was admirable as Pennywise, the fact that little Georgie was so good helped me hate the evil bastard from the off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Chester Copperpot

Tony EH wrote: »
    As interesting as all of the above sounds, it doesn't really sound anything like the book.

I was uncomfortable with the 80's setting. Thought the new Pennywise was, to be frank, shite, and now here that this is more like 'Stranger Things' than anything else and on top of everything, it could "have done with being a little more scary".

The more I hear about the film, the less it sounds like 'It' in any way, shape or form.

They kept a lot of the best things from the book and most of the cast were great, except for bill and Henry. Henry was a terrifying character and it just didn't translate well. Some of the changes from the book were well done and handled well. Stan's first interaction with it was much better than the book and the sort of thing would terrify someone around ten or eleven that was watching it.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'm a massive fan of the book (I'd probably rate it as my favourite horror novel) and I really enjoyed it. Felt it translated the spirit of camaraderie of the loser club perfectly. The kids who played Richie, Eddie and Bev in particular I thought were very good.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I really enjoyed it. I'm a fan of the book but didn't really get into the mini series from the 90s.
    I thought this movie captured the spirit of the book really well. They made some changes to what certain characters saw or how they died, but I thought those changes worked for the most part.
    It did feel like a horror movie to me, but that was not only because of Pennywise, but also because of the adults in the town. One of the themes I took away from the book was that the kids had to come together and fight Pennywise because the adults in the town were happy to turn a blind eye to everything that was going on. That aspect of the book and the film added to both their isolation and comradery as a group. It's not like Stranger Things, where there were some adults who could help. These kids are on their own, and that's a really scary position for kids to be in.

And some of those kid actors were great. Richie, Bev, Eddie, Bill. Even Georgie was just so cute and genuine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Lumpy_Custard

Just back from seeing this at Mahon Point, another thumbs up here.

The kid from Stranger Things seemed to have an endless supply of one-liners, and the adults - and chief bully - seemed to be equally as horrifying as the monster itself.

The only downside I found was that the relentless jump-scares lost a bit of their shock value by the end. The effects and camerawork, though, were top class. It was very good indeed.

I had a little run-in with a group of mouthy teens afterwards, which soured the night a bit. They were mocking a buddy of mine, who's a little on the heavy side. Apologies to anyone who saw that, there were a few horrified faces when the drama died down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Just back from seeing this at Mahon Point, another thumbs up here.

The kid from Stranger Things seemed to have an endless supply of one-liners, and the adults - and chief bully - seemed to be equally as horrifying as the monster itself.

The only downside I found was that the relentless jump-scares lost a bit of their shock value by the end. The effects and camerawork, though, were top class. It was very good indeed.

I had a little run-in with a group of mouthy teens afterwards, which soured the night a bit. They were mocking a buddy of mine, who's a little on the heavy side. Apologies to anyone who saw that, there were a few horrified faces when the drama died down!

It was like a kiddies disco at the screening I went to and it totally ****ing ruined it for me.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    It was like a kiddies disco at the screening I went to and it totally ****ing ruined it for me.

I went at 10 this morning, there were maybe 5 other adults in the screening, none of them within 6 seats of me in any direction, it was glorious.

Onto the movie, I really enjoyed it.

It's not scary, nor did i expect it to be considering the last horror movie that actually scared me was Ringu on vhs at the tail end of the 90s, but what it is is creepy, the whole vibe, creepy.

From Bevs dad to Henry and his goons to things like Eddie's vision (wonderful, skin crawling make up here) to Pennywise himself, there was a palpable sense of foreboding throughout and that's what makes a horror movie for me.

The kids were all great (though I do feel having Richie played by the Stranger Things kid took away from it, the rest were all complete unknowns to me but he wasn't so it was kinda jarring as all I could think of was ST) as were the adults.

Special mention to Skarsgard who I felt was fantastic as Pennywise. He completely made the role his own. Considering Currys turn was a massive show stealer that's no mean feat. There were just little things that elevated him, when he checks himself while talking to Georgie and almost let's the mask slip, the little trickle of drool, small, subtle intricacies that pushed him beyond hammy and into a real, malevolent incarnation.

I went in with somewhat hopeful expectations and was not disappointed, cannot wait for chapter 2.

8/10

• Advertisement

The movie has topped $120,000,000 box office for its opening weekend in the US alone, heading for $200,000,000 worldwide, record numbers for a horror movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Kylo Ren wrote: »
    Amy Adams is surely nailed on to play Beverly as an adult in the sequel?

Thought that too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Loved it and it has spurned me to revisit the book that I originally read, what, 25 years ago.

Went to see it in Liffey Valley at 10:30 on Saturday morning, not only was the place almost deserted (yay no 'youths'), but also cheapo ticket.

8/10, would re-watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭venomousfrog

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Thought that too

Seen it yesterday, and as soon as I saw Beverly, I immediately thought she looked like a younger Amy Adams. However I read online that Jessica Chastain was rumoured for the part on chapter 2.

Overall i thought it was a decent remake and with some good scares. Really enjoyed IT !

The movie has topped $120,000,000 box office for its opening weekend in the US alone, heading for $200,000,000 worldwide, record numbers for a horror movie.

Terrible way to measure success. How many seats were sold is the only way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement