Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extractor fan

Options
  • 13-07-2016 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭

I am looking to put an extractor fan in my bathroom, the one i have is timed. I know most are wired off the lights and am looking at how to do this.

The lights in my bathroom are four downlights and are on a dimmer.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Won't work off a dimmer, push to start is the only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Hannibal wrote: »
    I am looking to put an extractor fan in my bathroom, the one i have is timed. I know most are wired off the lights and am looking at how to do this.

The lights in my bathroom are four downlights and are on a dimmer.

Thanks

This is probably not a diy job.

You will need a separate switch for the fan as it won't work from the dimmer.

Easiest way would be to find the feed for the spotlights and take live, neutral and earth from there. Connect the neutral and earth terminals to the fan neutral and earth and connect the live to the timer of the fan(has to be the feed live rather than the switched live). Then run a wire from the timer terminal to the new switch and back to the switched terminal of the fan. This can be done with a twin brown rather than 2 separate cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

aido79 wrote: »
    This is probably not a diy job.

You will need a separate switch for the fan as it won't work from the dimmer.

Easiest way would be to find the feed for the spotlights and take live, neutral and earth from there. Connect the neutral and earth terminals to the fan neutral and earth and connect the live to the timer of the fan(has to be the feed live rather than the switched live). Then run a wire from the timer terminal to the new switch and back to the switched terminal of the fan. This can be done with a twin brown rather than 2 separate cables.
    i'm guessing this is for a normal light switch?
    in what way would you use one of the 3 pole isolators or would the normal switch be better?

Hannibal wrote: »
    i'm guessing this is for a normal light switch?
    in what way would you use one of the 3 pole isolators or would the normal switch be better?

A normal light switch would be sufficient. I don't see any advantage of using a 3 pole isolator.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

A normal light switch would be sufficient. I don't see any advantage of using a 3 pole isolator.

Wiring Rules.

The fan needs to have an isolator breaking all three live conductors.

• Advertisement

Hoagy wrote: »
    Wiring Rules.

The fan needs to have an isolator breaking all three live conductors.

What 3 live conductors? It's a single phase fan. Am I missing something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

What 3 live conductors? It's a single phase fan. Am I missing something?

The neutral can be said to be a live conductor. It's carrying current during normal circuit operation.

Bruthal wrote: »
    The neutral can be said to be a live conductor. It's carrying current during normal circuit operation.

That's true. What's the 3rd conductor though?

It's been a long time since I've had anything to do with extractor fans but is it the done thing to actually switch the neutral or would most guys just put it on a single pole switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Shred

I'm no sparks but I got one of these installed a couple of years ago and got the installer to connect it to the pull cable for the (electric) shower on it's own switch. It works a treat and means the lights don't have to be left on after a shower to demist the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Shred wrote:
    I'm no sparks but I got one of these installed a couple of years ago and got the installer to connect it to the pull cable for the (electric) shower on it's own switch. It works a treat and means the lights don't have to be left on after a shower to demist the room.

Could be some issues here, the size of the mcb or rcbo feeding the shower might be too big for the isolater / fan etc.
    Also this arrangement won't allow the fan to run for a while after its been switched off, unless the sparks had one of those units with a battery fitted.

• Advertisement

That's true. What's the 3rd conductor though?

It's been a long time since I've had anything to do with extractor fans but is it the done thing to actually switch the neutral or would most guys just put it on a single pole switch?

Switched live, permanent live (for continuation on timer when switched live is switched off), and neutral.

Shred wrote: »
    It works a treat and means the lights don't have to be left on after a shower to demist the room.

That's why fans with run on timers are used.

Stoner wrote: »
    Could be some issues here, the size of the mcb or rcbo feeding the shower might be too big for the isolater / fan etc.
    Also this arrangement won't allow the fan to run for a while after its been switched off, unless the sparks had one of those units with a battery fitted.

A friend of mine is a sparks and he looked it over with no issue found (he rewired the house for me a few years ago). Buy the point of it being connected to the pull for the shower is I can get out of the shower and leave the extractor running for a while and then switch it off by tugging the pull for the shower to turn it off.

A friend of mine is a sparks and he looked it over with no issue found (he rewired the house for me a few years ago). Buy the point of it being connected to the pull for the shower is I can get out of the shower and leave the extractor running for a while and then switch it off by tugging the pull for the shower to turn it off.

Are you sure he wired it directly to the pull cord of the shower? It sounds like a crazy thing to do. You are talking about putting a fan that draws a very small amount of current on a 40 amp circuit breaker/rcbo. If there was ever a fault in the fan your bathroom might be up in smoke long before any breaker trips.

The point of the timer on the fan is so that you can leave the fan running and not have to come back into the bathroom to turn it off once the room has been demisted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,097 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Shred wrote:

I don't think a fan should be fitted to the pull cord switch. The shower is supposed to be totally on its own is my understanding.

Are you sure he wired it directly to the pull cord of the shower? It sounds like a crazy thing to do. You are talking about putting a fan that draws a very small amount of current on a 40 amp circuit breaker/rcbo. If there was ever a fault in the fan your bathroom might be up in smoke long before any breaker trips.

Well I should have mentioned it's connected via a fused spur, although my sparks mate isn't overjoyed with how it was fitted he has confirmed there are no safety concerns, fire or otherwise.

Well I should have mentioned it's connected via a fused spur, although my sparks mate isn't overjoyed with how it was fitted he has confirmed there are no safety concerns, fire or otherwise.

The fused spur makes a big difference. It's not unsafe but still not something I would ever consider doing.

Advertisement