Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Under 20 2017 6 Nations/Junior World Cup

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Was also at the game-Irish 20s not at all impressive BUT were missing Kelly/Hogan/Johnson/Saunders/McPhillips/Larmour in the backs. Lyttle played at 15 and Nash at 13. As you say Leinster very hungry and had the two best players on the pitch in Doris at 8 and O'Brien at 12. Doris was outstanding in the tackle and in his ball carrying. Tom De Jong was at 7 for Leinster and was also very good and for me should be involved with the Irish 20s but is not in the 40 odd training squad announced. I guess the team they field against Munster next week will us a better sense of where they might be. Also agree re Frawley-very poor in defence. I didnt think that Fitzgerald at 10 for Ireland was that impressive either.

Yeah Deane was best 10 on show, Doris as you say was also very good

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rughug

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Yeah Deane was best 10 on show, Doris as you say was also very good

Dean is NOT up to Irish 20s standard this year. Not reliable enough as place kicker and not physically up for the battle. Maybe next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Any info from those in attendance re the winger Foley? Is he u20?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭stellenbosch

Hagz wrote: »
    Any info from those in attendance re the winger Foley? Is he u20?

Not sure they(irfu report) got the name right-you mean guy playing for L Dev? The starting wingers for L Dev were Thomas O'Callaghan ex CBC now Lansdowne and O'Keefe ex Michaels now Lansdowne-the guy who came on and scored a hatrick was a guy called Billy O'Hora-munster-now in first year in Trinity and playing for T 20s-hes u19-great bit of stuff and took his tries well. Not sure where they got the name Foley from and they had him down as UCD..

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Sudolife

Strange how Fitzpatrick is ahead of de Jongh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Munster Development XV: Steven McMahon; Liam Coombes (Garryowen), David Johnston (Capt.), David McCarthy (Garryowen), Greg O'Shea; Conor Fitzgerald (Shannon), Jack Stafford (Shannon); Liam O'Connor, Niall Mulcahy (Shannon), Rory Burke; Fineen Wycherley, John Madigan; Bailey Fallon (Garryowen), Jack Daly (Castleisland), Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Diarmuid Barron (UCC), James French (Bandon Grammar), Rob O'Donovan (UCC), Ronan Coffey (Shannon), Evan Mintern (Cork Con), Jack Lyons (Young Munster), Alex Molloy (Waterpark), Stephen Fitzgerald.

Munster Development XV v Ireland U20 XV, Thursday 29th December 2016, Thomond Park, 1pm.

Wycherley, Coombes x 2, Stafford and Conor Fitzgerald are Irish squad members playing for Munster in the game.

Munster won 35-21.
    Munster very dominant up front.
    Irish were ok in patches. Poor scrum and some of the guys who were replacements looked better options especially at half back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭gazump123

Ireland team I saw on Facebook.

Alan Tynan; Jordan Larmour, Jack Kelly, Alex McHenry, Tommy O'Brien; Conor Dean, James Lennon; Greg McGrath, Shane O'Hehir, Ciarán McHugh; Jack Regan, Oisin Dowling; Caelan Dorris, Sean Masterson, Marcus Rae.

Replacements: Adam Moloney, Joey Conway, Cillian Gallagher, Richard Dunne, Ryan Feehily, Ciarán Frawley, Colm de Buitleár, Conor Kelly.

Match report from Munster website has both teams
    http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/23694.php#.WGVLYdJo3IU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

Highlights. I also posted this on the Munster thread

Trevor Brennans son Daniel is included in French squad for the 6 nations
    French squad listed below
    http://www.the42.ie/daniel-brennan-france-u20-call-up-3194049-Jan2017/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Stainalert

Any word on six nations squad yet?

Supposedly being formally announced tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Stainalert

Supposedly being formally announced tomorrow

Any rumours re selection?

Ireland U20 Squad for Opening Rounds of the U20 Six Nations 2017
    The Ireland U20 squad, sponsored by PwC has been named by Head Coach Nigel Carolan for the opening rounds of the U20 Six Nations Championship 2017.

The 32 man squad features three players from last year's campaign.Corinthians and Connacht lock Cillian Gallagher and Shannon and Munster back-row John Foley return for their second U20s Six Nations Championship, as does Ulster and Ballynahinch out-half Johnny McPhillips.

Jack Kelly of Dublin University and Leinster has been named as captain.

On selection of the squad, Carolan said:

"As is the nature of Under 20s rugby, we have a new look squad this season, with just a few of last year's players returning, so it will be a new and exciting challenge for both the players and management.

We had a number of camps before Christmas and the attitude and enthusiasm that the players brought with them to these camps has been extremely positive.

While international rugby at Under 20s level will be new to the most of these players, the majority of them have all come through the IRFU player-pathway and will have worn the green jersey at Under 18 and Under 19 levels.

Several of the squad have also gotten good game time with their provincial A teams in the British and Irish Cup this season, so that should stand to them.

The U20 Six Nations Championship is always an exciting competition, but we'll be taking it one game at a time and we're looking forward to getting things under way against Scotland on Friday week.”

Speaking at the announcement of the PwC sponsored U20s side, Feargal O'Rourke, Managing Partner, PwC, said:

"We in PwC are very committed to supporting Irish Rugby principally through our sponsorship of the Under 20 team and we wish them every success for 2017 and in their upcoming Six Nations Championship campaign."

The Ireland U20s will open their Six Nations campaign against Scotland on Friday, 3rd February at the Broadwood Stadium in Glasgow at 8.30pm. They will then travel to Prato to play Italy on Friday 10th February, with a 7pm (local time) kick-off.

Ireland will then play their first home game of the Championship against on Friday 24th February in Donnybrook.

They will face Wales on Saturday, 11th March in Colwyn Bay in northern Wales and will finish off the championship on St. Patrick's Day against England in Donnybrook, in what will be a double-header with the Ireland Women.

Tickets for the Ireland U20s home games in Donnybrook, which will again be sponsored by Electric Ireland are available now via www.ticketmaster.ie

Ireland U20 Six Nations Squad
    Forwards:
    Paul Boyle (Lansdowne FC / Leinster)
    Charlie Connolly (Dublin University / Leinster)
    Joey Conway (UL Bohemians / Munster)
    Gavin Coombes (Young Munster / Munster)
    Peter Cooper (Belfast Harlequins / Ulster)
    Caelan Doris (St. Mary's College / Leinster)
    Oisin Dowling (Lansdowne FC / Leinster)
    John Foley (Shannon RFC / Munster)
    Cillian Gallagher (Corinthians RFC / Connacht)
    Ronan Kelleher (UCD / Leinster)
    Sean Masterson (Corinthians / Connacht)
    Tadgh McElroy (Lansdowne FC / Leinster)
    Rory Mulvihill (UCD RFC / Leinster)
    Marcus Rea (Queen's University / Ulster)
    Jack Regan (UCD RFC / Leinster)
    Fineen Wycherley (Young Munster / Munster)

Backs:
    Rory Butler (Queen's University / Ulster)
    Peadar Collins (Garryowen / Munster)
    Liam Coombes (Garryowen / Munster)
    Conor Dean (St. Mary's College / Leinster)
    Conor Fitzgerald (Shannon RFC / Munster)
    Colm Hogan (Dublin University / Munster)
    Ciaran Frawley (UCD RFC / Leinster)
    Jack Kelly (Dublin University / Leinster) Captain
    Jordan Larmour (St. Mary's College / Leinster)
    Jack Lyons (Young Munster / Munster)
    Robert Lyttle (Queen's University / Ulster)
    Johnny McPhillips (Ballynahinch / Ulster)
    Gavin Mullin (UCD RFC / Leinster)
    Calvin Nash (Young Munster / Munster)
    Tommy O'Brien (UCD RFC / Leinster)
    Johnny Stewart (Queen's University / Ulster)

Ireland U20 Six Nations Fixtures
    Friday 3rd February 2017
    Scotland U20 v Ireland U20, 8.30pm, Broadwood Stadium, Glasgow

Friday 10th February 2017
    Italy U20 v Ireland U20, 7pm (6pm GMT), Stadio Enrico Chersoni, Prato

Friday 24th February 2017
    Ireland U20 v France U20, 8pm, Donnybrook Stadium, Dublin

Saturday 11th March 2017
    Wales U20 v Ireland U20, 6.30pm, Parc Eirias, Colwyn Bay, North Wales

Friday 17th March 2017
    Ireland U20 v England U20, 6pm, Donnybrook Stadium, Dublin

Ireland U20 Management
    Head Coach – Nigel Carolan
    Assistant Coach – Peter Malone
    Scrum Coach – Conor Twomey
    Team Manager – Hendrik Kruger
    Strength & Conditioning Coach – Martin Kennedy
    Physiotherapist – Nicholas Lalor
    Performance Analyst - Jim Herring
    Masseuse – Gareth Rossi
    Equipment and Logistics Manager - Lar Hogan
    Media Officer – Sam O'Byrne

• Advertisement

Worried about front row, I had expected McGrath Lansdowne Prop to be include and had him down as a probable starter and his team mate Mulhall in the squad as a back up. They have been the best pack in Leinster this season and have dominated Mulvihill & Connolly in games. Time will tell but worried about scrum time in upcoming games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭kittyeater102

That's 5 years in a row the captain has come from Michaels. Remarkable consistency. Thought they might've given it to someone who played last year like Gallagher possibly. I'd definitely agree that the front row looks weak. Scrum could be in trouble. I think it's a better backline then last year. Kelly, larmour, hogan, lyttle, Nash,
    O'brien, mullin all very talented

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭gleesonisgod

Is Johnston still injured, and could he be called up later in the tournament?

Also, besides Larmour and Lyttle who are the exciting prospects?

Johnson is injured. of course he can be called up if fit. There is no rules or regulations about calling players up
    Masterson, Regan, Nash are top quality prospects.

Jack Kelly is the man for me if he gets ball he will do well but not confident that front row will deliver that.

• Advertisement

Jack Kelly is the man for me if he gets ball he will do well but not confident that front row will deliver that.

Totally agree-beautifully balanced runner-question is where will they play him-for me his best position is 15 but am hearing he may play 13.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Tommy O Brien has massively impressed me in the AIL and how he's kicked on from school. May be a year to soon for him however

Kelly, Lyttle, Nash, O'Brien, Larmour, McPhillips, Stewart

That would be a back-line I'd like to see

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Tommy O Brien has massively impressed me in the AIL and how he's kicked on from school. May be a year to soon for him however

Yeah think he is a cracking player and has another year at 20s I think?

Yeah think he is a cracking player and has another year at 20s I think?

Yeah as far as I've been told he'll get another go next year if fit and well

That's 5 years in a row the captain has come from Michaels. Remarkable consistency. Thought they might've given it to someone who played last year like Gallagher possibly. I'd definitely agree that the front row looks weak. Scrum could be in trouble. I think it's a better backline then last year. Kelly, larmour, hogan, lyttle, Nash,
    O'brien, mullin all very talented
    There has been other captains in those years like Jack O Donoghue, Sean O Brien but at some point or another yeah captain from on place.

7 who came through clubs rather than schools isnt that bad at all.

England U20 squad named

Sam Aspland-Robinson (Harlequins), Jamie Blamire (Newcastle Falcons), Theo Brophy Clews (London Irish), Will Butler (Worcester Warriors), Josh Caulfield (Exeter Chiefs), Justin Clegg (Worcester Warriors), Joe Cokanasiga (London Irish), Ben Curry (Sale Sharks), Tom Curry (Sale Sharks), Ollie Dawe (Bristol Rugby), Ben Earl (Saracens), Ted Hill (Worcester Warriors), Gabriel Ibitoye (Harlequins), Nick Isiekwe (Saracens), Ciaran Knight (Gloucester Rugby), Curtis Langdon (Sale Sharks), Max Malins (Saracens), Jack Maunder (Exeter Chiefs), Zach Mercer (Bath Rugby), Alex Mitchell (Northampton Saints), Dominic Morris (Saracens), Joseph Morris (Worcester Warriors), Joe Mullis (Gloucester Rugby), Jack Nay (Saracens), Tom Parton (London Irish), Jake Pope (Sale Sharks), Harry Randall (Gloucester Rugby), Alex Seville (Gloucester Rugby), Jamie Shillcock (Worcester Warriors), Jacob Umaga (Wasps), Max Wright (Yorkshire Carnegie), Zac Xiourouppa (Worcester Warriors).

England U20 squad named

Sam Aspland-Robinson (Harlequins), Jamie Blamire (Newcastle Falcons), Theo Brophy Clews (London Irish), Will Butler (Worcester Warriors), Josh Caulfield (Exeter Chiefs), Justin Clegg (Worcester Warriors), Joe Cokanasiga (London Irish), Ben Curry (Sale Sharks), Tom Curry (Sale Sharks), Ollie Dawe (Bristol Rugby), Ben Earl (Saracens), Ted Hill (Worcester Warriors), Gabriel Ibitoye (Harlequins), Nick Isiekwe (Saracens), Ciaran Knight (Gloucester Rugby), Curtis Langdon (Sale Sharks), Max Malins (Saracens), Jack Maunder (Exeter Chiefs), Zach Mercer (Bath Rugby), Alex Mitchell (Northampton Saints), Dominic Morris (Saracens), Joseph Morris (Worcester Warriors), Joe Mullis (Gloucester Rugby), Jack Nay (Saracens), Tom Parton (London Irish), Jake Pope (Sale Sharks), Harry Randall (Gloucester Rugby), Alex Seville (Gloucester Rugby), Jamie Shillcock (Worcester Warriors), Jacob Umaga (Wasps), Max Wright (Yorkshire Carnegie), Zac Xiourouppa (Worcester Warriors).
    Jacob umaga is the nephew of tana I believe. Other prospects are zach mercer of bath who plays regular premiership rugby at 8 and joe cokanasiga of London Irish, big 17 stone winger been ripping up the championship. Only 18 years old aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭typhoony

what's are the chances that Ulster will not allow Lyttle and Stewart to be released.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Is Doris an U19? Looks like he might be skipper next year if so. Assuming the criteria for Irish 20's selection is something along the lines of guaranteed to start.

• Advertisement

Is Doris an U19? Looks like he might be skipper next year if so. Assuming the criteria for Irish 20's selection is something along the lines of guaranteed to start.
    He is an u19

He is an u19

Few games in Connacht cup scheduled for tomorrow and thursday are off but Grammar and Summerhill senior sligo derby still on..

With three away games this year in the 6 Nations , are RTE likely to just show the last 3 or will they show the Scotland and Italy games as well ?

The Curry brothers from Sale are serious prospects and only 18. Have senior gametime already. Themselves and Mercer will make a very strong backrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

typhoony wrote: »
    what's are the chances that Ulster will not allow Lyttle and Stewart to be released.

Stewart will definitely be released.

Lyttle should be as well as I would imagine that both Gilroy and Bowe will be released back to Ulster from the seniors, and even then you have Stockdale, Piutau and Ludik who can play wing.

With my Ulster hat on, does anyone know much about Rory Butler? I believe he has played once or twice for our A team. I understand he is enormous.

Michaels uploaded highlights of jack Kelly playing schools rugby. Looks very quick and powerful. Could easily play 13 IMO. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w-0iJiFAq-I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Michaels uploaded highlights of jack Kelly playing schools rugby. Looks very quick and powerful. Could easily play 13 IMO. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w-0iJiFAq-I

Is it just me or is that footage slightly fast?

Anyway, serious right peg step on him. You don't get people that can step like that in this Hemisphere very often, that's more akin to what you'd see in the Pacific schools rugby tapes.

One to watch for sure, but nothing in that video to me says he's a 13 - one decent pass and not much tackling, I'd keep him in the back 3 going by that vid.

.ak wrote: »
    Is it just me or is that footage slightly fast?

Anyway, serious right peg step on him. You don't get people that can step like that in this Hemisphere very often, that's more akin to what you'd see in the Pacific schools rugby tapes.

One to watch for sure, but nothing in that video to me says he's a 13 - one decent pass and not much tackling, I'd keep him in the back 3 going by that vid.

Yeah an exciting prospect as a 15 for me, excited to see him come thru over the next few years hopefully he stays fit and well

Yeah, it would be great to see a top young FB emerge. There aren't too many around and the likes of Kearney and Payne aren't getting any younger which leaves only Zebo and O'Halloran.

Hopefully this guy is the real deal although tearing school teams apart is one thing. He still has a fair bit to go. It will be interesting to see how he goes playing for the 20s.

bilston wrote: »
    Yeah, it would be great to see a top young FB emerge. There aren't too many around and the likes of Kearney and Payne aren't getting any younger which leaves only Zebo and O'Halloran.

Hopefully this guy is the real deal although tearing school teams apart is one thing. He still has a fair bit to go. It will be interesting to see how he goes playing for the 20s.

Agree 15 for me and i have watched him play in all his games at 15 for Trinity this year and has stood up very well and made some magnificent runs and is physical in the tackle

• Advertisement

Agree 15 for me and i have watched him play in all his games at 15 for Trinity this year and has stood up very well and made some magnificent runs and is physical in the tackle

Great to hear he has transferred that school form to the AIL. Another step along the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah it's always interesting to see guys stepping up to senior level. For me, Stockdale was another level at u20 level but doesn't appear to be making a massive impact in the pro12 yet... Still have hope for him though, he's the complete package. I have a feeling he'll have a glut of international caps in the years to come.

.ak wrote: »

Yeah it's always interesting to see guys stepping up to senior level. For me, Stockdale was another level at u20 level but doesn't appear to be making a massive impact in the pro12 yet... Still have hope for him though, he's the complete package. I have a feeling he'll have a glut of international caps in the years to come.

Injuries and having Piutau and Trimble ahead of him haven't helped. But when he's played he has looked the part. He has a few tries too. But as you say his time will come.

He is a big guy, Jack Kelly looks very physical as well and we know Adam Byrne has plenty of bulk. The difference though is these guys seem to have a lot of pace as well. Exciting times if you ask me.

Looking forward to seeing Larmour in action as well.

Injuries and having Piutau and Trimble ahead of him haven't helped. But when he's played he has looked the part. He has a few tries too. But as you say his time will come.

He is a big guy, Jack Kelly looks very physical as well and we know Adam Byrne has plenty of bulk. The difference though is these guys seem to have a lot of pace as well. Exciting times if you ask me.

Looking forward to seeing Larmour in action as well.

Let's be realistic now and admit that running through the Gick is an awful lot easier than running thru the English and French u20 defences in Donnybrook over the next few weeks. Yes Kelly has potential but Larmour and Lyttle will also be exciting to watch.
    Some of the forwards selected are puzzling though. Connolly didn't even start for Rock last year and hasn't exactly set the world on fire since then. Kelleher has zero rugby played for almost a year.
    Then picking four out halves none of whom can really operate at 12 seems to make no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 aspin

rughug wrote: »
    Let's be realistic now and admit that running through the Gick is an awful lot easier than running thru the English and French u20 defences in Donnybrook over the next few weeks. Yes Kelly has potential but Larmour and Lyttle will also be exciting to watch.
    Some of the forwards selected are puzzling though. Connolly didn't even start for Rock last year and hasn't exactly set the world on fire since then. Kelleher has zero rugby played for almost a year.
    Then picking four out halves none of whom can really operate at 12 seems to make no sense.

Have to admit I was surprised that Kelleher made squad due to lack of pitch time this season. It suggests a depth issue at hooker.

Isn't Kelleher u19 as well? God I hope he's decent. Leinster are in need of a young hooker.

• Advertisement

Interesting that 5 of last years rock team and 3 of last years Michaels team are in the squad yet belvo beat both those teams and have nobody from their cup winning SCT.

Interesting that 5 of last years rock team and 3 of last years Michaels team are in the squad yet belvo beat both those teams and have nobody from their cup winning SCT.

Hawkshaw, O'Sullivan, Cagney, Maher and Kearney are all still in school.
    Of that Belvo side, O'Sullivan, Hawkshaw and Kearney were the most impressive.

Also, if I remember correctly, Conor Dean and Tommy O'Brien were both injured and subsequently missed last years SCT, or at least part of it.

The SCT is an unforgiving tournament. One loss and you're out. Hence why it's not a great way to judge talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

England U20 squad named

Jacob umaga is the nephew of tana I believe. Other prospects are zach mercer of bath who plays regular premiership rugby at 8 and joe cokanasiga of London Irish, big 17 stone winger been ripping up the championship. Only 18 years old aswell.

Aye, Umaga is Tana's nephew.

Expect Mercer to maybe miss a few games due to club commitments as well as Maunder, at least one of the Curry twins and Shillcock. Odowugu has missed out on the squad entirely because he'll definitely be with Sale for all the games.

Apparently the most exciting prospect there is Ted Hill though. 17 year old lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Hagz wrote: »
    Isn't Kelleher u19 as well? God I hope he's decent. Leinster are in need of a young hooker.

If only Cian Healy had stayed put at hooker!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Bill Johnston expected to be back fit and available in three weeks for the French game.
    That's surprising as he was said to be out for 8-12 weeks towards the end of December.

• Advertisement
Advertisement