Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Under 20 2017 6 Nations/Junior World Cup

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rughug

case885 wrote: »
    Bill Johnston expected to be back fit and available in three weeks for the French game.
    That's surprising as he was said to be out for 8-12 weeks towards the end of December.

Word is that he has made himself unavailable for the 6 Nations tournament to focus on Munster.
    If he does become available then you have 5 outhalves in the squad , none of whom are comfortable at 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭kittyeater102

rughug wrote: »
    Word is that he has made himself unavailable for the 6 Nations tournament to focus on Munster.
    If he does become available then you have 5 outhalves in the squad , none of whom are comfortable at 12.
    Dean,Frawley, McPhillips and ?. Also, I don't really think McPhillips is a ten. He'l do the job till Johnston is back but thats about it.Don't know much about Frawley. Dean will see very little gametime I'd say.Next year will be his year.Surprised he got in at all to be honest.

Dean,Frawley, McPhillips and ?. Also, I don't really think McPhillips is a ten. He'l do the job till Johnston is back but thats about it.Don't know much about Frawley. Dean will see very little gametime I'd say.Next year will be his year.Surprised he got in at all to be honest.

Fitzgerald from Munster. And we may be " stuck" with Mc Phillips .
    Can we expect to win 3 from 5 games ?

Think its fair to say that Dean is in this year because of Daddy , and similar may be said of Mullen. Probably does help that they are ex Blackrock College , with Peter Smyth etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Think its fair to say that Dean is in this year because of Daddy , and similar may be said of Mullen. Probably does help that they are ex Blackrock College , with Peter Smyth etc.

I'd imagine Dean is in because of his performances in the top amateur league in Ireland.

I'd imagine Dean is in because of his performances in the top amateur league in Ireland.

Not likely. Dean was carried a year young on both the Leinster Schools and Irish Schools teams and his performance was average at best. His performances for Marys this past 6 months have been average at best.
    It does help when your father is highly regarded within Leinster Branch and IRFU circles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Not likely. Dean was carried a year young on both the Leinster Schools and Irish Schools teams and his performance was average at best. His performances for Marys this past 6 months have been average at best.
    It does help when your father is highly regarded within Leinster Branch and IRFU circles.

I can never tell if the old nepotism argument is accurate or just bitterness.

bilston wrote: »

Time will tell !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

What say does Peter Smyth have with the Irish 20s? And now we're questioning the integrity of Nigel Carolan and his selectors. Wonderful, this thread will quickly go the way of the schools one

Bridge93 wrote: »
    What say does Peter Smyth have with the Irish 20s? And now we're questioning the integrity of Nigel Carolan and his selectors. Wonderful, this thread will quickly go the way of the schools one

So you think Peter Smyth as head of the Leinster Academy doesn't have any interaction / influence with regard to putting forward the Leinster contingent for the national 20s. He knows well that he will prob be taking in an outhalf in to the sub academy this year and it's pretty much a given that one has to have Ireland u20 credentials . I'm just opening up debate. This thread doesn't need to go the way of the schools one. I'm not questioning the integrity of Nigel Carolan or his selectors. They pretty much work with what the provincial gurus feed them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Bitterness. Maybe in the Ruddock days there might have been some prospect of it being anything else, but obviously Carolan isn't going to be working to boost the Leinster academy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

So you think Peter Smyth as head of the Leinster Academy doesn't have any interaction / influence with regard to putting forward the Leinster contingent for the national 20s. He knows well that he will prob be taking in an outhalf in to the sub academy this year and it's pretty much a given that one has to have Ireland u20 credentials . I'm just opening up debate. This thread doesn't need to go the way of the schools one. I'm not questioning the integrity of Nigel Carolan or his selectors. They pretty much work with what the provincial gurus feed them.

The coaches don't exist in a bubble. They watch the players themselves you know and can come to their own decisions with the help of provincial coaches. To suggest that Carolan and the selectors have chosen players based on who their parents are and the influence they exert on regional branches is absolutely questioning their integrity unless you believe they have their hands over their eyes and pick solely on listening to some blazers in Leinster helping old friends. Suggesting nepotism plays a role is questioning their integrity.

Do you not think if nepotism was rife that Tim Schmidt would've had more of a look in? Maybe you're just sore that your prediction earlier in the thread that neither Dean or Mullen had any chance of making the squad was wrong? Whatever the case your posting history about a certain school makes this whole opinion unsurprising

For what it's worth I personally wouldn't have picked Mullen either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Stainalert

A guy straight out of school playing 1A rugby is definitely not average. A lot of of the named 20s squad do not have 1A experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭typhoony

not sure if it's been said already but RTE2 are showing live coverage of the 1st game in scotland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Stainalert wrote: »
    A guy straight out of school playing 1A rugby is definitely not average. A lot of of the named 20s squad do not have 1A experience.

Only 5 of the 32 man squad who are able to play Div 1A haven't got 1A experience. 16 of the squad have played multiple times in 1A this season, almost all of them straight out of school. The remaining 11 just aren't able to play 1A because their clubs are in 1B and 2A, but the majority of them have played B&I cup rugby, u20s last year and some senior rugby as well.

Not downplaying Dean's achievements, but the fact that he's playing 1A rugby is fairly standard.

Hagz wrote: »
    Only 5 of the 32 man squad who are able to play Div 1A haven't got 1A experience. 16 of the squad have played multiple times in 1A this season, almost all of them straight out of school. The remaining 11 just aren't able to play 1A because their clubs are in 1B and 2A, but the majority of them have played B&I cup rugby, u20s last year and some senior rugby as well.

Not downplaying Dean's achievements, but the fact that he's playing 1A rugby is fairly standard.

Who are the 5?

Rughug was questioning Dean's inclusion in the squad making the point that Dean had been pretty ordinary for Marys in 1A - I am just making the point that a guy just out of school playing 1A is not ordinary - most don't.

Rughug was questioning Dean's inclusion in the squad making the point that Dean had been pretty ordinary for Marys in 1A - I am just making the point that a guy just out of school playing 1A is not ordinary - most don't.

Doris and Larmour have done . Doris is u20 again next year and is in the same league ability wise as James Ryan , and is a shoe in for captain next year. Larmour is a year older , but again is an exceptional talent.
    O Brien , also underage next year has had a few good outings with UCD but I'm just not convinced that were Dean to start at 10 against say Wales , England or France that he would get the job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭espn091

Dean was starting at outhalf in 1A as a under-19, that is pretty rare to see.

• Advertisement

Rory Mulvihill, Ronan Kelleher, Charlie Connolly and Gavin Mullin are the 4 lads who haven't played 1A.

Doris and Larmour have done . Doris is u20 again next year and is in the same league ability wise as James Ryan , and is a shoe in for captain next year. Larmour is a year older , but again is an exceptional talent.
    O Brien , also underage next year has had a few good outings with UCD but I'm just not convinced that were Dean to start at 10 against say Wales , England or France that he would get the job done.

I don't think Doris and Larmour are ordinary either

espn091 wrote: »
    Rory Mulvihill, Ronan Kelleher, Charlie Connolly and Gavin Mullin are the 4 lads who haven't played 1A.

Think you can add Oisin Dowling there as well

Doris & Larmour are exceptional, I'd put Dean a level below them talent wise.

Could be right on Dowling, I thought he had played senior but that may have been leinster senior cup.

Doris & Larmour are exceptional, I'd put Dean a level below them talent wise.

Could be right on Dowling, I thought he had played senior but that may have been leinster senior cup.

Yea was senior cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Are Rte showing or streaming the u20s?
    The TV block is blank for all the fixtures :
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/rugby/results_and_fixtures_ireland_u20.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Are Rte showing or streaming the u20s?
    The TV block is blank for all the fixtures :
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/rugby/results_and_fixtures_ireland_u20.php
    Friday night theyre showing both ladies and 20s on RTE2. Dont know about other weeks but think theyll be showing all live..

Kelly and Doris will definitely play for Leinster possibly even Ireland someday. There's always 1 or 2 who emerge from nowhere though. Tommy O'Brien is a guy I want to see. Missed the senior cup last year through injury. Larmour and lyttle also promising players albeit a bit undersized.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭THFC198

Will jack Kelly play 13 or 15 do we think? I know he's played the majority of his rugby at 13 but his past year at school and AIL level has been at 15 so I would've thought that's his best position

THFC198 wrote: »
    Will jack Kelly play 13 or 15 do we think? I know he's played the majority of his rugby at 13 but his past year at school and AIL level has been at 15 so I would've thought that's his best position

He'l play 15. Calvin Nash will be 13. I'd be shocked if that wasn't the case.

Kelly and Doris will definitely play for Leinster possibly even Ireland someday . There's always 1 or 2 who emerge from nowhere though. Tommy O'Brien is a guy I want to see. Missed the senior cup last year through injury. Larmour and lyttle also promising players albeit a bit undersized.

Doris is a Mayo lad, isn't he? Would hope he could be lured back west

• Advertisement

Doris is more Blackrock than Mayo, in personality, accent etc.

It wouldn't be a shock at all for Kelly to play 13, that is where lined up in warm up games.

Mulvihill has made a couple of appearances for UCD in 1A this season. The other player I was talking about was Jack Lyons. He doesn't seem to have made an appearance for Young Munster this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Mulvihill has made a couple of appearances for UCD in 1A this season. The other player I was talking about was Jack Lyons. He doesn't seem to have made an appearance for Young Munster this season.

Surely a few of the Ulster lads wouldn't have played 1A unless they were all with Ballynahinch last season?

Jack Lyons has played for Young Munster, possibly it was in the Munster Senior Cup.

Fair enough didn't think Mulvihill had played AIL

Surely a few of the Ulster lads wouldn't have played 1A unless they were all with Ballynahinch last season?

They were part of the 11 players I mentioned who aren't able to play 1A this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Anyone know what the story is with Alan Tynan, Young Munster's outhalf. Why isn't he making the squads at least? Is there too much competition? He seems to be doing well with Young Munster and has played Munster 'A'.

other outhavles chosen ahead of him.. all of whom are also starting in the AIL.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

other outhavles chosen ahead of him.. all of whom are also starting in the AIL.

Thats good news to hear that there are so many good outhalfs around. Tynan gets an excellent rating from papers this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

jm08 wrote:
    Thats good news to hear that there are so many good outhalfs around. Tynan gets an excellent rating from papers this weekend.

He very versatile as well, plays 15 a lot and came on at 14 for Munster A in bandon and did very well.
    A shoe in for the academy next year I'd imagine.

• Advertisement

Doris is more Blackrock than Mayo, in personality, accent etc.

It wouldn't be a shock at all for Kelly to play 13, that is where lined up in warm up games.
    Well I watched them train on the back pitch at donnybrook after the blackrock game and he was playing 15

Ireland u20 team:

Ireland u20 team:

1. Joey Conway(Munster/UL Bohs)
    2. Tadgh McElroy(Leinster/Lansdowne)
    3. Peter Cooper(Ulster/Belfast Harlequins)
    4. Fineen Whycherly(Munster/Young Munster)
    5. Oisin Dowling(Leinster/Lansdowne)
    6. Cillian Gallagher(Connacht/Corinthians)
    7. Paul Boyle(Leinster/Lansdowne)
    8. Caelan Doris(Leinster/St. Marys)
    9. Jonny Stewart(Ulster/Queens)
    10. Johnny McPhillips(Ulster/Ballynahinch)
    11. Colm Hogan(Munster/DUFC)
    12. Ciaran Frawley(Leinster/UCD)
    13. Gavin Mullin(Leinster/UCD)
    14. Jordan Larmour(Leinster/St. Marys)
    15. Jack Kelly(Leinster/DUFC)
    16. Adam Moloney(Munster/Shannon)
    17. Rory Mulvihill(Leinster/UCD)
    18. Charlie Connolly(Leinster/DUFC)
    19. Jack Regan(Leinster/UCD)
    20. Marcus Rea(Ulster/Queens)
    21. Jack Lyons(Munster/Young Munster)
    22. Conor Fitzgerald(Munster/Shannon)
    23. Tommy O'Brien(Leinster/UCD)

Ireland u20 team:

Ireland u20 team:

1. Joey Conway(Munster/UL Bohs)
    2. Tadgh McElroy(Leinster/Lansdowne)
    3. Peter Cooper(Ulster/Belfast Harlequins)
    4. Fineen Whycherly(Munster/Young Munster)
    5. Oisin Dowling(Leinster/Lansdowne)
    6. Cillian Gallagher(Connacht/Corinthians)
    7. Paul Boyle(Leinster/Lansdowne)
    8. Caelan Doris(Leinster/St. Marys)
    9. Jonny Stewart(Ulster/Queens)
    10. Johnny McPhillips(Ulster/Ballynahinch)
    11. Colm Hogan(Munster/DUFC)
    12. Ciaran Frawley(Leinster/UCD)
    13. Gavin Mullin(Leinster/UCD)
    14. Jordan Larmour(Leinster/St. Marys)
    15. Jack Kelly(Leinster/DUFC)
    16. Adam Moloney(Munster/Shannon)
    17. Rory Mulvihill(Leinster/UCD)
    18. Charlie Connolly(Leinster/DUFC)
    19. Jack Regan(Leinster/UCD)
    20. Marcus Rea(Ulster/Queens)
    21. Jack Lyons(Munster/Young Munster)
    22. Conor Fitzgerald(Munster/Shannon)
    23. Tommy O'Brien(Leinster/UCD)

Frawley at 12. ??? Defensively ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Frawley at 12? dear lord, Carolan always has a few strange selections in his teams..

Whats Paul Boyle like as a player? never seen him. Thats a sizeable backrow which is good to see, not a pack to compete at the breakdown by the looks of it, Carolan seemingly favoring ball carriers, interesting to see how they get on.
    Best of luck to them, Scotland can be tough to beat at home in the u20's.

Apparently Nash is involved with Munster?

Ireland website always seems sluggish when uploading player profiles, the England website is very good at getting the u20 teams up fast.

Whats Paul Boyle like as a player? never seen him. Thats a sizeable backrow which is good to see, not a pack to compete at the breakdown by the looks of it, Carolan seemingly favoring ball carriers, interesting to see how they get on.

Smart player, more at home at 8 or 6. Excellent work rate. Physically not as big as Doris. Good ball player.

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Apparently Nash is involved with Munster?
    You'd think Munster would let the lad play in the u20's surely they have someone else that can come in for a few games? , either way if Ireland dont perform well on Friday their are plenty of players to come into the side to improve it : Lyttle, Coombes, Dean, Nash, Johnston and more. There seems to be plenty of options availible to Carolan for the season

• Advertisement

Smart player, more at home at 8 or 6. Excellent work rate. Physically not as big as Doris. Good ball player.
    Thanks, Boyle seems massive from photos I've seen of him on sportsfile etc, Really excited to see Doris

Advertisement