Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most absorbent nappy??

Options
  • 13-07-2016 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

Is there any consensus on which brand of nappies are most absorbent?

I've a petite 2 year old who weighs under 11kg but she drinks sooooo much water and urinates like you would not believe!! Her nappies are so swollen in the morning they're almost bursting open. I have her in pampers baby dry size 5 at the moment........not sure about using 5+ because they are for a higher weight range 13kg up.

Any brand that's more absorbent than pampers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I've found pampers have gotten pretty darn crap lately and I'm now using aldi at night.

Having said that my lad has never followed the weight limits. Hes 11kg and in size 6 in pampers. Size 5 in aldi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Cloth nappies may be worth a try, even if only for night time? I never used them myself, but my brother is using them on their first baby and they're getting on great with them. Supposedly much more absorbent than disposables.

I think I mostly stuck to Pampers Active-Fit for daytime and Baby-Dry for night ... I did notice a substantial difference between the absorbancies. Oh and I read recently that the + actually means more absorbancy rather than weight increase, not sure if that's true ... but could be worth trying a packet. You'll always use them in the future anyways if they're too big now!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

You could try potty training her? At 2 she might be ready. Also limit her water intake from about 5 in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Sapphire

The 5 and the 5+ are the same size, except that the + indicates that its more absorbent than the regular version.

Try the 5+ in your usual brand and see how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

LiDl nappies or AlDi nappies . . . .

Great value & very absorbant.

Don't waste you money on expensive 'Branded' nappies, and I say that as a parent of youn children who have only just come out of nappies in the last year or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭anamaria

The + size is more or less the same size just more absorbent. I started using the Aldi nappies recently and found them great (I threw the Lidl ones in the bin) but have a packet of pampers 4+ active fit just for night time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I use cloth nappies during the day but don't find them more absorbent than disposables, but of course there are tons of brands and you can get booster inserts to maximise absorbency.

Definitely try the 5+ before trying out brands. I use Boots own brand at night and find them excellent. My toddler would have been a very heavy wetter at age 2 and they generally lasted the night, though they'd be bursting at the seams come morning.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

watching this with interest.

we are having the same nightmare with my 2 year old.

he is soaking every night/morning.

we have tried pampers plus and Aldi. up sizes, down sizes. cotton wool, nappy liners, limiting water the in the evening.

besides all the extra washing and baths, we are exhausted :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Aldi nappies.

Pampers are a complete rip off, you are paying for a brand and getting nothing extra for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I know your pain! I tried pampers 6+ and they were useless! She used to be soaked from her knees to her shoulders . :O Shes 19 months now and loves water and will kick up a storm if she doesn't get her night time bottle at 8pm! She goes down about 8:30, I'll change her nappy when I'm going to bed about 12:30 ish and this seems to work, I can manage not to wake her!
    I use Tesco own brand 6+ now they're E4.99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Aldi FTW here too. He was waking up soaked in the *new* Pampers and now we're Aldi both day & night, he's dry as a bone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

cbyrd wrote: »
    I know your pain! I tried pampers 6+ and they were useless! She used to be soaked from her knees to her shoulders . :O Shes 19 months now and loves water and will kick up a storm if she doesn't get her night time bottle at 8pm! She goes down about 8:30, I'll change her nappy when I'm going to bed about 12:30 ish and this seems to work, I can manage not to wake her!
    I use Tesco own brand 6+ now they're E4.99

Well I seem to have had success the last few nights with 5+ !

Outhe of interest, how to you manage to change her without waking her?? Do you get her out of (back in to) babygros, sleeps it etc? If I go near my daughter to so much as straighten a blanket there's a 50% chance she'll shoot upright in the cot and be awake for hours!! I'm so jealous of your deep sleepers ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭g0g

Whatever about the Aldi/Lidl vs Pampers debate, I would recommend avoiding Tesco nappies at all costs! We normally use Pampers and tested Tesco night nappies last month and it was a complete disaster. The amount of times they leaked through was ridiculous, and yes definitely the fit looked perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

And I have no problem with Tesco nappies, I've used them, Aldi, Lidl, Huggies, Pampers and even Supervalu (just tester ones) on all my babies and Tesco are the best for my kids. Babies are not one size fit all so nappies (even nappies in the weight range the baby is) will not be either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Ocean Blue wrote:
    Outhe of interest, how to you manage to change her without waking her?? Do you get her out of (back in to) babygros, sleeps it etc? If I go near my daughter to so much as straighten a blanket there's a 50% chance she'll shoot upright in the cot and be awake for hours!! I'm so jealous of your deep sleepers ðŸ‘

She wears a sleeping bag, no jammies bottoms so it's just the vest. I suppose she's used to it now and feels more comfortable after she's changed.. sometimes she does wake a little but goes straight back to sleep .. thank God!

Yesterday she brought the nappy bag to her daddy with her little sounds more or less telling him to change her butt! :D She was dirty! She's hilarious.. potty training shortly I'd say!

So, I got a months success from using 5+ at night!! New problem is my daughter is trying to remove the nappy now.....I've put them on backwards a few nights but she tugs at the sides trying to open it which leaves it lopsided and it leaks anyway 😠

Decided to try pulled ups.....bought the pampers pants to try but they don't come in the plus size and leaked surprise surprise. Huggies pull ups seem to have velcro sides which I'd say she'd open in no time so discounted them straight away. Anyone know of other brands of pants that are more absorbent?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Ocean, keep the nappy on but put her bag or onesie on backwards so she cant reach the zip? Though in this mild weather she probably isn't wearing either?

we have a normal 5+ nappy and a 5+ pull up over it.

We still get leaks but he cant get the nappy off/a have a good play with his willy

John Mason wrote: »
    we have a normal 5+ nappy and a 5+ pull up over it.

We still get leaks but he cant get the nappy off/a have a good play with his willy

Where are you getting the 5+ pull ups??!!

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    Where are you getting the 5+ pull ups??!!

Lidl or Aldi. wherever we are.

maybe they are just 5's - I don't know what is going on most of the time tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I have terrible nappy woes and the only thing that worked was give night time drink a good hour before bed. Change nappy at bedtime then change nappy again when I was going to bed myself while child was asleep.

Could you try above and put "baby dry pant" on before you go to bed? They would be hard to get off and might not leak if you change at 11pm?

Advertisement