Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Edge 820.

Options
  • 13-07-2016 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭

Unveiled today the new Garmin edge range, the edge 820 and 820 explorer. Touch screen is back. They seem to be a mix between the 520 and the 1000 with a few new features. As usual DC Rainmaker gives a pretty good summary of his first impressions, he promises a fuller review in a few weeks.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/07/garmin-edge-820.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭F.Grimes

Unveiled today the new Garmin edge range, the edge 820 and 820 explorer. Touch screen is back. They seem to be a mix between the 520 and the 1000 with a few new features. As usual DC Rainmaker gives a pretty good summary of his first impressions, he promises a fuller review in a few weeks.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/07/garmin-edge-820.html

Honesty don't see many features that would make me go from the 820 over the 520, which you can pick up for around 250 now! Only thing that jumps out would be the 16gb of memory! But when the whole of Ireland is only ~50mb it's not really hugely important for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭g0g

Any mention of battery life? Didn't find it scrolling article on my phone. The compare table only showed 520 and 1000 for me. Interested to see what euro bundle price will be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Battery life is claimed be Garmin to be 15 hours but this will always depend on the the number of features that are turned on ,there is a new energy saving mode which turns the display off but the unit is still recording data. I found with my 520 that the GLONASS Feature really burned through the battery lifetime.
    As for prices https://www.evanscycles.com/en-ie/search?text=garmin+820+prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Of course I just got a 520 the very same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

F.Grimes wrote: »
    Honesty don't see many features that would make me go from the 820 over the 520, which you can pick up for around 250 now! Only thing that jumps out would be the 16gb of memory! But when the whole of Ireland is only ~50mb it's not really hugely important for me

or an 810 which there are some great deals on at the moment. Ordered one for 300 quid this week.

• Advertisement

1bryan wrote: »
    or an 810 which there are some great deals on at the moment. Ordered one for 300 quid this week.

Exactly! Garmin just aren't innovating anymore! Is the same product in a slightly different package, with a few gimmicks, and amodest amount of storage which in this day and age, is a prerequisite!

Exactly! Garmin just aren't innovating anymore! Is the same product in a slightly different package, with a few gimmicks, and amodest amount of storage which in this day and age, is a prerequisite!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

F.Grimes wrote: »

Just Curious...what would you like to see Garmin do? What feature is not available at the moment that you think should be?

Battery life will always be an issue (for a lot of people)

I'd like to see better base maps.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Just Curious...what would you like to see Garmin do? What feature is not available at the moment that you think should be?

I'd like to see better base maps would be nice.

What would be nice for me is a removable battery. Being able to switch the battery on the road would be good, as would being able to swap the battery as it lost its ability to hold a charge. Before the Garmin, I'd a pretty ancient trekking GPS that took 4xAA batteries that seemed to last about a month. For my uses something with a screen the size of the 1000 that took 2xAAA or 2xAA batteries would be a huge improvement.

smacl wrote: »
    What would be nice for me is a removable battery. Being able to switch the battery on the road would be good, as would being able to swap the battery as it lost its ability to hold a charge. Before the Garmin, I'd a pretty ancient trekking GPS that took 4xAA batteries that seemed to last about a month. For my uses something with a screen the size of the 1000 that took 2xAAA or 2xAA batteries would be a huge improvement.

I've replaced a battery in an edge 705 before:

http://www.batteryupgrade.com/shopBrowser.php?shopGroupId=94094109&tracker=adwords_ir_GPS&langId=1&gclid=CPqc4cOq880CFcV02wodWLcDCg#/shopGroupId/78457179

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I think you'd be in a very small minority on that one. I don't want to be heading out for a spin to find the batteries are dead or dying and I've none spare, plus AA or even AAA batteries are going to make it bulky and heavy, again something I and I suspect many others do not want. The battery life on my 520 is around 16-17hrs which is more than enough for me. It charges quickly and cheaply compared to having to buy batteries every week or two. That's not an improvement but a major step backwards and unfortunately for you, something I can never see happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Etrex 10/20/30 have 2 AA batteries. They are designed for hiking but popular on audax.

Not sure how screen size compares.

You could use rechargeable AA also I suppose.

One set will power it for 24hrs.

There is a touch screen version now although I read some grumbling about that on yacf.co.uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Seems like a justifiable upgrade for me over my 810. Ordered from clever training, dcrainmaker pointed out they have a UK based now so with his 10% off and the exchange rate brought it to €350.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

I'd like to see better base maps.

I'd love to see a "Live Profile" feature ie. showing your position relative to the profile of the terrain. It would be really useful on marathon mountain bike races to be aware of your position on a particular climb and also upcoming climbs! I appreciate that you would have to pre-load the course into the device but that could be easily achieved via Strava - similar to "Live Segments"!

C3PO wrote: »
    I'd love to see a "Live Profile" feature ie. showing your position relative to the profile of the terrain. It would be really useful on marathon mountain bike races to be aware of your position on a particular climb and also upcoming climbs! I appreciate that you would have to pre-load the course into the device but that could be easily achieved via Strava - similar to "Live Segments"!

?? Eh I think It has that already? If you select a course and Virtual partner is switched on, you swipe the screen to display elevation. you should see an elevation profile of the route and it will show the Virtual Partners position as a grey dot and your current position as a black Dot.

like this:

http://velogps.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Garmin-Edge-510-14.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

?? Eh I think It has that already? If you select a course and Virtual partner is switched on, you swipe the screen to display elevation. you should see an elevation profile of the route and it will show the Virtual Partners position as a grey dot and your current position as a black Dot.

like this:

http://velogps.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Garmin-Edge-510-14.jpg

Really? RTFM so!! Must check it out - it would be really handy for the likes of the Cooley Thriller etc! Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

So... I have an 800 for sale :) This looks sweet.

C3PO wrote: »
    Really? RTFM so!! Must check it out - it would be really handy for the likes of the Cooley Thriller etc! Cheers

http://velogps.com/garmin-edge-810-navigation/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I think you'd be in a very small minority on that one. I don't want to be heading out for a spin to find the batteries are dead or dying and I've none spare, plus AA or even AAA batteries are going to make it bulky and heavy, again something I and I suspect many others do not want. The battery life on my 520 is around 16-17hrs which is more than enough for me. It charges quickly and cheaply compared to having to buy batteries every week or two. That's not an improvement but a major step backwards and unfortunately for you, something I can never see happening.

Probably right in terms of market demand, although even a replaceable bespoke battery would be fine. Non replaceanle batteries are one of the things I've always detested about Apple iPhones and iPods that see a lot of use, and IMHO are a little more than designed obsolescence. Also one of the reasons I'd never buy a 2nd hand Garmin unless the price was low enough that I could factor in a battery upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭g0g

AstraMonti wrote: »
    So... I have an 800 for sale :) This looks sweet.
    Adverts or Boards? Interested to hear how much you get for it as I'm eager for anew gadget! Not sure whether 520 or 820 though. Don't really use navigation and dunno about the friend find feature, so maybe that decides it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

maybe it can do this already but if it can, I wasn't aware of if, but....

I'd like to be able to specify the type of route I want to the garmin and have it plot a course for me.

For example, 100km, 1000m of climbing, or 100m, >500m of climbing. And follow the course it sets.

Obviously its not something you'd have a lot of use for when riding on familiar roads, but it could come in handy if somewhere unfamiliar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

maybe it can do this already but if it can, I wasn't aware of if, but....

I'd like to be able to specify the type of route I want to the garmin and have it plot a course for me.

For example, 100km, 1000m of climbing, or 100m, >500m of climbing. And follow the course it sets.

Obviously its not something you'd have a lot of use for when riding on familiar roads, but it could come in handy if somewhere unfamiliar.

Edge 1000 has a feature like this

Advertisement