Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kissing! (Victoria Beckham photo.)

Options
  • 14-07-2016 1:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

So I keep seeing this pop up all over Facebook.

http://www.scarymommy.com/victoria-beckham-criticized-kissing-harper-instagram/?utm_source=FB

It's crazy, people calling Victoria a paedophile and a child molester for kissing her own little daughter! I think it's a lovely sweet photo.

What do ye think, normal or sweet? And how old is too old for lip kisses?

My two year old loves giving me lovely squelchy fat kisses on the lips! :) It's sweet. Not sure when I'd consider him old enough to stop that ... I'd guess when he decides he's old enough himself! Can't imagine I'd ever have the heart to ask him not to do it!

I've no problem with him kissing family members or friends, with strangers he knows to blow them kisses instead (if they stop to chat to him etc!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

The reaction online to this is baffling. She's just a mum getting a kiss off her 5 year old. People making it into anything other than that are weird. I have a 2.5 year old who is fierce for a slobbery kiss on the lips too. She'll grow out of it when she's good and ready. I'm not going to make her conscious of the way she shows affection to us. She's a bit stingy with her kisses for anyone else, usually blows them a kiss while running off if asked! She already has her own set of rules it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭SteM

Facebook's full of dolts that need to get on their high horse about something or other. Everyone will have forgotten about this in a few days and then they'll get angry about something else.

Edit: to keep this on topic - there's absolutely nothing wrong with a parent kissing their 5 year old on the lips. Our 4 year old still kisses my wife on the lips every night before bed and every morning when he gets up. He's stopped kissing me because my beard scratches him. He'll kiss his granny too (even though her beard scratches him too :) ) but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Reaction to this is madness. Some families do and some don't, some kids do and some don't, my daughter used to but grew out of it, youngest daughter still does sometimes.
    People need to relax and let families be families and stop sexualising everything they see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

My (2&3) kids can't go to bed without their kiss! No Facebook gobshïte is going to change that.

These people have led very sheltered/secluded lives if they think that's pedo stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I'd wager that the idiots kicking up the fuss don't have any kids. I kiss my kids on the lips all the time, I think not doing so says a lot more about a person to be perfectly honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

I hope they never figure out what you see when changing a nappy! OMG an adult seeing a vagina!!!!! Call social services!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I'm embarrassed for the people who do have an issue with this and their line of thinking says alot more about them than anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 24,613 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I went against my better judgement and opened the link in the OP.

I think my brain is bleeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

People getting upset about this really must have little to be worrying about.

A mum giving her daughter a kiss. Whats next? Holding your daughter's hand or God forbid letting her sit on your lap?

Too many muppets on high horses looking for something to complain about.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Tawaret

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I'm embarrassed for the people who do have an issue with this and their line of thinking says alot more about them than anything else

This, absolutely this. I'll keep giving my little girl kisses on the mouth until she's not comfortable with it anymore, her call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

My little boy kisses me on the lips all the time. Its totally innocent and this backlash is just another example of idiots assigning adult meaning to childhood actions. Its a lovely photo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Story Bud?

People who sexualise a parent kissing their child are the ones who need help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I have never made my kids "give a kiss to granny/auntie/etc" and They don't have to give hugs. I want them to grow up always used to only giving affection if they want to.

And they are the most loving, affectionate, cuddly and kissy kids with me and their Daddy.

When they don't want to kiss me, that's fine. I know, and they know, that my relationship with them is safe and not sexual so I have no problems with kissing on the lips.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I suspect that the outcry because a lot of people dislike Victoria Beckham. I think if it was alot of other stars (for want of a better word) it would be just be seen as an adorable photo which it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

I have never made my kids "give a kiss to granny/auntie/etc" and They don't have to give hugs. I want them to grow up always used to only giving affection if they want to.

And they are the most loving, affectionate, cuddly and kissy kids with me and their Daddy.

When they don't want to kiss me, that's fine. I know, and they know, that my relationship with them is safe and not sexual so I have no problems with kissing on the lips.

Same. I have issues with "give granny a kiss" as i think it should be up to the child how they choose to show affection and they should not feel obliged to do so. But a kiss that a child is happy to give freely is perfectly natural and innocent and shouldn't be turned into something wrong or sordid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I always say to them 'can you give granny/grandad etc a kiss goodbye?' but if they don't want to either that's perfectly fine and it's not made a big deal of either.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Bassfish

In my line of work I meet children who never receive physical affection or even as much as kind words from their parents and I see the damage it does to them which can last the rest of their lives. If people want to be outraged about something, maybe start there!
    Adults these sexualised connotations on things, from that child's point of view it's an act of love and affection from Mommy and that's it.

What do ye think, normal or sweet? And how old is too old for lip kisses?

I think that is the wrong question to ask as I do not think there _is_ an age where it should start or stop. Rather the boundary on where it should stop should solely be when the people doing it - or receiving it - are themselves no longer comfortable with it. And that could be at 5 - 15 - 50 - or never.

There are people - those commenting negatively on the kind of photograph on line of which you speak - who are just too quick to sexualise everything and anything. Be it kissing or nudity or bed sharing or cuddling or bathing or whatever. They see sex and sexual motivation where none exists - other than in their own head that is.

Advertisement