Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timing the drive out to Coney island......

Options
  • 14-07-2016 3:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

Hi , I'm trying to figure out roughly how many hours eitherside of low tide is usually ok to drive over and back to Coney island?
    just wondering is there any general rule of thumb along the lines of a couple hours eitherside of low tide maybe...... as in if low tide is due to be 2pm for example, then is it usually ok to go from noon til 4pm, or just 1pm til 3pm...?

Any helpful advice on this or other factors to consider would be much appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭sligo camper

Try

http://www.sligoboatcharters.com/sligo-tides

for advice - enjoy and keep beside the cement pillars on way out and back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

the RNLI have a free text service to let people know when they should and shouldn't go
    http://rnli.org/NewsCentre/Pages/RNLI-launches-free-text-to-prevent-dangerous-tidal-cut-off-at-Coney-Island.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

Ok great, very helpful info. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Would love to drive out my self, but would be petrified of getting my car stuck, even when the tide is at its lowest. Alot of soft sand down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Would love to drive out my self, but would be petrified of getting my car stuck, even when the tide is at its lowest. Alot of soft sand down there.

Keep to the left of the markers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

At low tide it's a 3 hour turn about before it starts to come back in. You'd have about an hour extra then but check tide tables as higher tides or spring tides fill quicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

you get the lowest amount of water about a hour or two after low tide it takes time to drain
    i've pulled loads of people out of the sand but thats near the island at the sea

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭sligo camper

As others said.. CHeck Check Check - Ive done it often and its great fun to be driving - As for the soft sand - Ive never experienced it and I ve gone away from the cement posts - within reason!!

Nice way to spend a sunny afternoon and great views of Rosses Point from the Pier

GO FOR IT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Don't forget to give your car a good power wash underneath after you come back!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

red sean wrote: »
    Don't forget to give your car a good power wash underneath after you come back!

This, other than getting beached, salt erosion would be a big concern. Would be asking for an NCT wash.

• Advertisement
Advertisement