Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a car in the USA without a credit card

Options
  • 14-07-2016 3:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Hi lads. I'm currently living in Christchurch New Zealand. I'll be coming home to Limerick for a month next May. I'm thinking of going via the USA. I was thinking of landing in Los Angeles, renting a car and driving up the coast to Vancouver to visit some relatives. Flying out from Vancouver to Ireland then. Is it possible to rent a car in the states of you don't have a credit card? Cheers.

The rule I've come across is: Without a credit card you can not drop the car off at a different location and you must have proof of a return ticket from the pickup destination i.e a flight back out of the airport if you are using a debit card.

Now that's the rule I've found. It was not the rule that was enforced after I lost my wallet and I handed my debit card when they asked for credit card and I said nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

jacksie66 wrote: »
    landing in Los Angeles, renting a car and driving up the coast to Vancouver ....... Flying out from Vancouver

Missed that bit....you absolutely can not drop the car off in another Country :D You aren't even allowed bring it in to a different country.

If you do manage to swing the rental, drop it off in Seattle and bus/train it up to Vancouver.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

jme2010 wrote: »
    If you do manage to swing the rental, drop it off in Seattle and bus/train it up to Vancouver.

+1 Typically if you drop a car off in another country, it has to be shipped back to the original country, something that will cost you. For example, Hertz Canada will not be allowed to rent out a US car in Canada so it has to go back.

Advertisement