Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floating hotel

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Where else are we going to home our refugees or homeless families? "hotel"...

Do they think we have such a short memory?

http://www.businesspost.ie/plan-to-house-syrian-refugees-on-ship-in-irish-harbour/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

And your points are?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I was making people aware, it's going for permission , so people can raise an objection if needs be.

People are also interested in what's going on in the area.
    There's a whole thread about placed opening and closing.

What's your point? This is s discussion forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Hmmmmmm.... long narrow corridors and flimsy walls. All it will take is one stag or hen party and there will be mayhem with nobody getting any sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

why not just build a proper hotel on one of the many abandoned parts of the harbour if the need is there? Much higher quality and would be easier to deal with for services etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

why not just build a proper hotel on one of the many abandoned parts of the harbour if the need is there? Much higher quality and would be easier to deal with for services etc.

Steady on there :

Many apartment complexes share the same problems identified in the Tom McFeely-built block of apartments in north Dublin.

When asked to give an estimate of the number of potentially fire-hazardous buildings that were built during the time, the expert told the Sunday Independent: "No one knows, but hundreds, certainly hundreds."

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/hundreds-of-boombuilds-are-unsafe-say-experts-29561378.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

I love the way the hysterical herald throws in the phrase "asylum seekers" thinking some utter eejits will think this is what its about. Surely people are not that gullible / stupid?

Harbour is simply looking at the possibility of a static cruise liner that would add much needed tourist rooms to the area.

Only a rag like the herald could try and create a silly season story with a false bigotted racist angle. Only fools believe the claptrap in that rag.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

If they manage to attract something like the London Sunborn, low quality and stag parties are unlikely to be a problem.

http://www.sunbornhotels.com/london/

They tried that but Richard Boyd Barrett and his merry men had a frenzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

gctest50 wrote: »
    Steady on there :

:confused:
    what has that got to do with anything? Are you implying everything that could possibly be built there will be of the same crap quality, because that's stretching things a bit...

• Advertisement

VincePP wrote: »
    I love the way the hysterical herald throws in the phrase "asylum seekers" thinking some utter eejits will think this is what its about. Surely people are not that gullible / stupid?

Harbour is simply looking at the possibility of a static cruise liner that would add much needed tourist rooms to the area.

Only a rag like the herald could try and create a silly season story with a false bigotted racist angle. Only fools believe the claptrap in that rag.

And what about the business post article ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

ted1 wrote: »
    And what about the business post article ?

Ah ha. Spread, speculate and incite.

Chinasea wrote: »
    Ah ha. Spread, speculate and incite.

I think you've been getting out of the wrong side of the bed.

If it's for refugees then they won't bring additional jobs or income to the town, if it's for tourists they will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

The Royal Marine and Killiney Castle both cater for a much different type of hotel experience than a novelty "flotel" would.

I hope they get the planning for this, the place is desolate with more businesses closing weekly in recent years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

They have already (mostly) demolished the ferry terminal so they must have some plan in mind..

I don't think it's for cruise liners, madness, Dublin port is already scheduled to be developed for that.

Steve wrote: »
    They have already (mostly) demolished the ferry terminal so they must have some plan in mind..

I don't think it's for cruise liners, madness, Dublin port is already scheduled to be developed for that.

Isn't just the passenger bridges that were specifically built for the HSS that were/ are being demolished.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Isn't just the passenger bridges that were specifically built for the HSS that were/ are being demolished.

They are taking out the docking piers as well afaik.

Yes they are, I was wondering how much is being stripped out.

Weren't they specifically for the HSS?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Ted is right, all that is being removed is the old HSS docking infrastructure which could only be used for HSS vessels. The terminal building itself is not (and will not) be touched. The old Lynx walkway on Berth 4 has been removed and the old Lynx pontoon has been removed.

The Berth 4 ramp (the one beside the terminal building) has actually had some much needed TLC and is in use at the moment for prep for the Laser Radial sailors who are on their way on the 23rd. Nothing that is being done will have any effect on future ferry operators using the harbour. If anything, the removal of the HSS kit will bring Berth 5 back into use potentially.

Berth 2 (the East Pier side of the Carlisle Pier) has also had some work done this year on the fenders and pillars for the small cruise ships/navy ships etc and that is the one being suggested for the 'Flotel'. Berth 3 (old mailboat berth) would then be fixed up for the small cruise ships/navy stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Did you miss the whole application process for a 300+ metre jetty and dredging of the harbour and bay that is now about to decided on?

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Did you miss the whole application process for a 300+ metre jetty and dredging of the harbour and bay that is now about to decided on?

Didn't Dublin ports application scupper those plans as they are no longer feasible

Didn't Dublin ports application scupper those plans as they are no longer feasible

The Dublin Port cruise terminal was always going to go ahead and the DL application was subsequent to that. The idea is that there will be room enough for both in terms of demand. Huge amount of potential traffic which, if it materialised, would give plenty of business. Situation like this would seem to be ideal for a Dublin Port/Dun Laoghaire Harbour joint venture with perhaps all the sub 200m ships coming to DL and the huge ones going to Dublin Port. Would require an extension to either Carlisle Pier or Michaels Pier but probably more palatable than the current proposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Slightly OT but as the thread has already broken it's moorings and drifted into a discussion about harbour redevelopment, I thought I'd alert posters to the fact that by far the biggest cruise ship of the year is visiting DL this Wednesday July 20th. Celebrity Silhouette (2,886 passengers) is arriving at 07:00 and departing at 18:00.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/ships/celebrity-silhouette

The reason I looked at the cruise schedule today is because I saw two large coaches today come up Clarence St and head up York Road so I thought they might be excursions from a ship visiting today but not according to the schedule.

http://dlharbour.ie/cruise-schedule/

SimonMaher wrote: »
    The Dublin Port cruise terminal was always going to go ahead and the DL application was subsequent to that. The idea is that there will be room enough for both in terms of demand. Huge amount of potential traffic which, if it materialised, would give plenty of business. Situation like this would seem to be ideal for a Dublin Port/Dun Laoghaire Harbour joint venture with perhaps all the sub 200m ships coming to DL and the huge ones going to Dublin Port. Would require an extension to either Carlisle Pier or Michaels Pier but probably more palatable than the current proposal.

But Dublin port doesn't want a joint venture , and the ships don't want one either. Remember how DL got burnt last summer by a ship choosing Dublin port over it.

Cruise ships passengers wint add to the local economy , they get bussed straight from the Dock to yours Glen Da lough , powersourt, etc

But Dublin port doesn't want a joint venture , and the ships don't want one either. Remember how DL got burnt last summer by a ship choosing Dublin port over it.

Cruise ships passengers wint add to the local economy , they get bussed straight from the Dock to yours Glen Da lough , powersourt, etc

They get bussed off to see the sights but they also get time to browse the local shops, I saw a heap of them with shopping bags in Dun Laoghaire heading back to Hebridrean Skies a few weeks ago.

No. The planning board will make a decision on the DL application on its own planning merits, their function is not to adjudicate economics.

Once they get their permission, or not, its up to the various investors in the DL project to assess feasibility in the context of Dublin Port's advanced plans.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    No. The planning board will make a decision on the DL application on its own planning merits, their function is not to adjudicate economics.

Once they get their permission, or not, its up to the various investors in the DL project to assess feasibility in the context of Dublin Port's advanced plans.

That's all grand, but my understanding is that the plans submitted by Dublin port will mean that Dun Laoighres won't make financial sense

They get bussed off to see the sights but they also get time to browse the local shops, I saw a heap of them with shopping bags in Dun Laoghaire heading back to Hebridrean Skies a few weeks ago.

This is exactly where Dun Laoghaire benefits from cruise traffic! Most people take their half day tours but they have a couple of hours before/after where they like to take a wander and they spend cash money in the town. Aside from them, the crew members of the ships who aren't on duty tend to come ashore too and spend a few quid too. (Failte Ireland backs up the spending figures - they are not inconsiderable if you're getting a reasonable amount of traffic. Even 20 ships a year would give the town a decent boost). The ambassadors that work on the days that the cruise ships are here really help that too. Build it and they will come :)

• Advertisement

That's all grand, but my understanding is that the plans submitted by Dublin port will mean that Dun Laoighres won't make financial sense

Yes more than likely, but my point was the Dun Laoghaire application wasn't withdrawn on the back of Dublin securing permission, the application is still live and it will be up to the Dun Laoghaire promoters to judge the climate, should they be granted permission.

The permission itself means nothing, its just a license to proceed that lasts 5 years, they aren't obliged to go ahead regardless of economic considerations.

Who knows, the terrorist threat that is a reality in many European cruise destination and resorts now might mean a big increase in northern European cruise calls, perhaps if Dun Laoghaire can secure good contracts with the operators they might go ahead, but I agree with you, on the face of it it doesnt look viable once Dublin can accommodate 4 x ultramax cruise ships at once.

Advertisement