Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paid money into old PayPal account

Options
  • 14-07-2016 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

I very stupidly paid my rent by bank transfer this morning, I wasn't paying attention at all. Anyway I paid it into a PayPal account that I used in a previous job, I managed to get into that account this morning and I have closed it.

Should the transfer just bounce back now?

And I know, it was very stupid of me (I was even asked to put in extra information so I really should have copped on)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sharon

Hi Lux23,

Thanks for contacting us here on Boards. 

Generally, when a transfer is sent to a closed account, this will be rejected and returned to the sender. 

We would recommend, however, contacting PayPal directly to advise them of this so they can locate the transfer and confirm the time frame for the funds to be refunded. 

Thanks,

Sharon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

So looks my money is missing. You guys were very helpful and have been able to confirm that the payment left my account and gave me a reference number but PayPal are saying it never reached them. Despite a customer service agent telling me exactly how much the payment was last week. 

Is there anything else I can do? It was significant sum and I don't to have to give up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Janet

Lux23 wrote: »
    So looks my money is missing. You guys were very helpful and have been able to confirm that the payment left my account and gave me a reference number but PayPal are saying it never reached them. Despite a customer service agent telling me exactly how much the payment was last week. 

Is there anything else I can do? It was significant sum and I don't to have to give up.
    Good morning Lux23, 

Thanks for your post.

I'm sorry to hear you are having difficulty with your transaction. This payment can be traced by sending an 'ask a question' query through Banking 365 Online.

If we can help with anything else please let us know, 

Thanks
    Janette

OK. I have just done that but seeing as I couldn't get any information over the phone I am not feeling optimistic. 

Really considering closing my account and moving elsewhere because I should be able to at least get some reassurance. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Evie

OK. I have just done that but seeing as I couldn't get any information over the phone I am not feeling optimistic. 

Really considering closing my account and moving elsewhere because I should be able to at least get some reassurance. 
    Good Afternoon Lux23, 

I apologies for any upset this may have caused, but we do not have control over funds once they have been processed by us. We will however ensure that the trace is placed, and a proof of payment is sent to you. This can be presented to Paypal for instruction to their bank. I am sorry to hear that you are considering closing your account and do hope that you reconsider. 

Thanks, 
    Evie 

• Advertisement

OK, did you read anything that I said? Because you seem to have it backwards.

OK, did you read anything that I said? Because you seem to have it backwards.
    Hi Lux23, 

Apologies if there is confusion here, but if you have sent money to an account that is now closed and the company (in this case Paypal) have not returned it to you, and have no record of it, it is necessary to do a trace as outlined above. Once you have this written confirmation from us you can get PayPal to locate the funds for you.

You will receive the confirmation within 5 working days of receipt. 

Thanks, 
    Evie 

Are you serious? PayPal say they were already in touch with BOI and the BOI team who handle these things have traced it. I really disappointed that I am getting a different answer every time and ask.

Still nothing back from the Online Service Desk either. The confirmation is no good to me, I require the funds back and BOI for some reason are hanging on to it!! 

Are you serious? PayPal say they were already in touch with BOI and the BOI team who handle these things have traced it. I really disappointed that I am getting a different answer every time and ask.

Still nothing back from the Online Service Desk either. The confirmation is no good to me, I require the funds back and BOI for some reason are hanging on to it!! 
    Hi Lux23, 

Sorry we were unable to assist, you will hear soon from the Online Service Desk who will provide you with the information you need. 

Thanks, 
    Evie 

I had to escalate it as a complaint. I wouldn't mind but the information provided was so inconsistent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement