Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housing supply and demand

• 14-07-2016 10:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭

Hi, where would I best be able to find data figures on this for different areas of the country?

Obviously there has been a big shift in this in the last year or two but most the research I can find dated further back than that so I feel the results wouldn't be accurate as of today. I've currently put together stuff from sources like the national housing agency and the Local Authority Development Plan. Supply seems a lot easier to track but demand is proving to be a bit more challenging.

I don't mind paying for the research if it comes down to it. The more recently published the better.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Could you provide a link with an example of the kind of information you're looking for? I imagine you'd have to either put together the demand figures yourself based upon other aggregate data (or pay someone to do it). I'm sure there are many ways to model demand but I'd imagine there are some relatively crude but simple ways to do it based upon aggregate population data - how important is it that the data be particularly accurate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

It's so hard to find concrete information like this.

I'd say it's either the politicians (and voters who vote for them) are either too lazy to put in the work or too scared that people will be able to make decisions which aren't purely based on greed and/or fear.

Anyway, here's some earlier work I put in with some basic indicative data:

The closest to one of the things you are looking for (the demand for housing):
    Housing waiting list size Versus Refusals
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97606025&postcount=36
    367522.png

Amount of reposessions compared to the amount of mortgages that haven't had a payment in at least 2 years:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96518012&postcount=8
    357704.png

Social Protection Rental Allowance. If a family with only one minimum wage earner has to compete with those rates, here's how much they get in spending money per hour worked:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100191562&postcount=14
    390176.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Slydice wrote: »
    It's so hard to find concrete information like this.

I'd say it's either the politicians (and voters who vote for them) are either too lazy to put in the work or too scared that people will be able to make decisions which aren't purely based on greed.

Anyway, here's some earlier work I put in with some basic indicative data:

The closest to one of the things you are looking for (the demand for housing):
    Housing waiting list size Versus Refusals
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97606025&postcount=36
    367522.png

If OP is looking to do something like forecast house price movements, then I'd argue that that wouldn't be a good metric, since people on that list probably aren't in a position to buy housing in general. Though as you point out, it's probably the most concrete measure of demand, in some sense, that you could get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

andrew wrote: »
    If OP is looking to do something like forecast house price movements, then I'd argue that that wouldn't be a good metric, since people on that list probably aren't in a position to buy housing in general. Though as you point out, it's probably the most concrete measure of demand, in some sense, that you could get.
    The OP could do worse than following the links and checking my sources to get started on where to look.

Slydice wrote: »
    The OP could do worse than following the links and checking my sources to get started on where to look.

Oh yeah completely agree, my post was a comment not a criticism!

• Advertisement
Advertisement