Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dutch dad drive my Irish car?

Options
  • 14-07-2016 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

Hi,

As I understand, in Ireland the drivers are insured, in the Netherlands the car is insured.

Can my Dutch dad, drive my Irish car, in Ireland? If not, what would be the best way to get that sorted for a few days, so he can drive here?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Poncke wrote: »
    Hi,

As I understand, in Ireland the drivers are insured, in the Netherlands the car is insured.

Can my Dutch dad, drive my Irish car, in Ireland? If now, what would be the best way to get that sorted for a few days, so he can drive here?

Thanks

No, unless he's a named driver on a policy for the Irish car or that's an open policy.

Cheapest way to get him to drive for couple of days - get a rental. Seriously...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Some insurance policies have open drive which allows anyone over 25 with a full licence to drive your car without having to put them as a named driver.

There is also a new motor insurance forum set up for these type of questions, you might get more details there:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1765

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved to Insurance forum

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Nuw

I think your insurance provider should be able to answer that question more efficiently than any of us ;)

From experience though, and as above, usually turns out cheaper and less hassle to just rent a car, unless you do have an open policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

Ok, thanks, thats what I was thinking. I remember not being able to drive my Aunt's car when in Australia for the same reasons.

Cheers guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

grogi wrote: »
    No, unless he's a named driver on a policy for the Irish car or that's an open policy.

Cheapest way to get him to drive for couple of days - get a rental. Seriously...

That is actually true... and a farce as well...

I rented a car in February for 3 full weeks at a cost of around €105. That gives €5 per day.

Price didn't depend on insurance history, so if I was a foreigner with foreign licence holder, had multiple claims in my driving history, plenty of convictions, etc, I would still get it at the same price.

I'm sure rental company didn't loose money on me, so after taking cost of depreciation, maintenance, tax, etc on the car I rented, I'm not sure if there' much left from those €5 a day to cover the cost of insurance. I can hardly see it as more than €2 per day to cover cost of insurance which ends up €600 per annum on average.

There's no chance any insurer in Ireland would insure me directly otherwise at that price, without knowing my driving history, claims history, convictions history etc...

So either we are all getting properly screwed by insurers, or rental companies are just getting best offers ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

CiniO wrote: »
    That is actually true... and a farce as well...

I rented a car in February for 3 full weeks at a cost of around €105. That gives €5 per day.

Price didn't depend on insurance history, so if I was a foreigner with foreign licence holder, had multiple claims in my driving history, plenty of convictions, etc, I would still get it at the same price.

I'm sure rental company didn't loose money on me, so after taking cost of depreciation, maintenance, tax, etc on the car I rented, I'm not sure if there' much left from those €5 a day to cover the cost of insurance. I can hardly see it as more than €2 per day to cover cost of insurance which ends up €600 per annum on average.

There's no chance any insurer in Ireland would insure me directly otherwise at that price, without knowing my driving history, claims history, convictions history etc...

So either we are all getting properly screwed by insurers, or rental companies are just getting best offers ever.

The rental company may work on an indemnity bond basis and not have a direct insurance cost. Equally, low rental rates give them an opportunity for you to drive the car and suffer a scratch or dent that they charge €500 not to repair!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Marcusm wrote: »
    The rental company may work on an indemnity bond basis and not have a direct insurance cost.
    Maybe they could, but I don't think they did, as car had normal insurance disc displayed with name of one of the insurers.
    Equally, low rental rates give them an opportunity for you to drive the car and suffer a scratch or dent that they charge €500 not to repair!

That's actually true.
    They didn't make much on me though.

Advertisement