Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does an RSJ need a separate certificate?

• 14-07-2016 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

We've had an extension built and were expecting a certificate for the universal beam from the architect. But he says that's a structural engineer job and he'll only be providing the letter of compliance with building regs. Neither the builder nor him mentioned needing a SE during the build.
    Will this be an issue when selling the house?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

who specified the beam?

the architect is absolutely correct not to certify something they didnt design, if thats the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

It is worth pointing out however that by "Building Regs" the architect probably means the Technical Guidance Documents. This beam falls under the broad remit of Technical Guidance Document A.

The key point here is who sized the bea:

Did the Architect give the builder a size? - I'd say that's highly unlikely.
    Did the Builder pick a beam and put it in? - I'd say this is more likely but what are the builders qualifications that allow him to design the steel beam?

Either way - a structural engineer is the only one who can sign to say the beam is of adequate size for the location it's installed. Whether or not the sizing of this beam and resultant engineer's fee was included in the cost you got from the architect or builder is unclear and it's something that both of these people should have warned you about at the start.

As a (very relevant) aside - who designed the foundation?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kinnikinnik5

the builder got the architects opinion on the beam and foundations required

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

According to the builder?

Show us the drawings? What is written down?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Does the architect moonlight as an engineer? Does his PI cover him for the design of structures?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Will this be an issue when selling the house?

Yes it will.
    What stage is it at now, all covered up?

I would start with the fact that the architect/builder have now left you with an unsalable house

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement