Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin 810 navigation

Options
  • 14-07-2016 10:22am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Off to West Cork with the family for a week next week, and planned a couple of rides with routes I've sent to my Garmin 810 from MapMyRide. Any time I've tried to use the navigate function on the 810 previously it works fine but doesn't log my ride. Anyone know if this is this something I'm doing wrong, or just a limitation of the 810?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

I know this is stating the obvious and apologies for any offense, but are you hitting start like you would on a normal ride or just loading the nav route and setting off?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Crocked wrote: »
    I know this is stating the obvious and apologies for any offense, but are you hitting start like you would on a normal ride or just loading the nav route and setting off?

Thought I had but will try again, not beyond the bounds of possibility that I was having a Fr. Dougal moment last times I tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

What Maps have you loaded on your 810?

I created a route from Dublin to Mullingar on Strava recently. I sent it to my garmin. It worked fine for the first 20k or so, then it simply switched off. I lost all data up to that point. I restarted the 810 and just "followed my nose" from there to Mullingar. I suspect my Garmin does not like the openstreet map that im using.

07Lapierre wrote: »

I created a route from Dublin to Mullingar on Strava recently. I sent it to my garmin. It worked fine for the first 20k or so, then it simply switched off. I lost all data up to that point. I restarted the 810 and just "followed my nose" from there to Mullingar. I suspect my Garmin does not like the openstreet map that im using.

Also on OpenStreetMap which could be part of the problem. Was navigating back from Sallins earlier in the year and the 810 took a hissy fit and turned off when I went onto the Grand canal for a bit. It also didn't record from when I went from normal mode to navigation mode though again user error could be involved. Had a similar problem a couple of times since, and also ended up following my nose a fair bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I had the same happen on a route to Cavan recently. Good thing I knew the route anyway as a few kms into the ride, it kept insisting that I make a U turn. I left it running and it persisted in trying to get me to go in the opposite direction for the next 140k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I've never had an issue using it with a preloaded route map. I'm not sure I'd use it without one the detail isn't great.

I used it for the Ironman 70.3 recce and it was grand the hole way. No data lost.

Loaded with openstreet maps and a gpx file from garmin I think it was

I had the same happen on a route to Cavan recently. Good thing I knew the route anyway as a few kms into the ride, it kept insisting that I make a U turn. I left it running and it persisted in trying to get me to go in the opposite direction for the next 140k.

You can turn off that "U turn" Feature. Did your garmin actually shut down??
    I also set "Auto re calculate" to "Prompt" instead of automatic.

Go to: Activity Profile, Navigation, Routing,

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

i had some thing similar happen to me few weeks after id done a route and was on way home and the garmin just turned off, didnt save any info from the ride, using open street maps

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭vigos

There is a known issue with the 810 turning off especially when Openstreet maps are loaded. I've also experienced this myself. I've updated the latest firmware on the device and so far it has been working ok.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=6005

Latest version is 5.10 and issue should have been fixedin 5.00

Maybe worth trying to update to the latest software if not already done.

....Did your garmin actually shut down??....
    No - I don't recall it ever shutting down while following a pre-loaded route but it has shut down a few times during ordinary use (most recently on the McNSCC annual tour).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

smacl wrote: »
    Off to West Cork with the family for a week next week, and planned a couple of rides with routes I've sent to my Garmin 810 from MapMyRide. Any time I've tried to use the navigate function on the 810 previously it works fine but doesn't log my ride. Anyone know if this is this something I'm doing wrong, or just a limitation of the 810?

I have an edge 810 and followed this tutorial to create the route in google maps and load it into my garmin. Worked fine for me when it came to navigating the route.

I have an edge 810 and followed this tutorial to create the route in google maps and load it into my garmin. Worked fine for me when it came to navigating the route.

WTF? Has he gone out of his way to make things complicated? :eek: There's much easier ways of doing it especially for IT challenged people like myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

Navigation on the 810 has worked a treat for me any time I have used it. It navigated me to the start of the Mick Byrne and all the way around the route no bother, including giving cues in advance of turns. I came across some advice on the web on the optimal settings for your device, but I can't seem to find it now. There were one or two counter intuitive settings in there, so it may be worth experimenting with those. In particular I have lock on road switched off.

Zen0 wrote: »
    ...It navigated me to the start of the Mick Byrne and all the way around the route no bother...
    A bit off topic but, just as a matter of interest, how did the battery life fare on the MB? I fine that it barely lasts beyond 220k which is frustrating compared to my old 500 which is good for 300k+.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

A bit off topic but, just as a matter of interest, how did the battery life fare on the MB? I fine that it barely lasts beyond 220k which is frustrating compared to my old 500 which is good for 300k+.

That's about what I got. I had 220km and 12 hours on the clock when I got back home and the battery was just about spent. Unit is about 2 years old. If I was planning anything longer, I reckon I'd need to look into some sort of on the go charging option.

Including stops the WW200 took me ~11 hours this year and had no issue with the Garmin battery. I have GPS, altimeter, cadence and speed sensors enabled, but no bluetooth and backlight off. Had a few 10 hour sessions with it also no problem. I've put hours rather than distance down, as I know you're far faster than me, so your 220k MB would probably be less power hungry than my 200k WW200.

WTF? Has he gone out of his way to make things complicated? :eek: There's much easier ways of doing it especially for IT challenged people like myself!

What way do you do it? I will admit the video above is slightly convoluted so if there's an easier way to do it, I'm all ears! :D

What way do you do it? I will admit the video above is slightly convoluted so if there's an easier way to do it, I'm all ears! :D
    I create it on 'My Routes' on Strava and export it as a GPX file onto the Garmin.

You can also create one on the garmin itself.

1. select a previous ride and save it as a course.

or

2. Select a destination and let garmin create a route.

Super lads! I had an issue before when I was throwing a destination into the garmin but it couldn't find it. Map my ride sounds like just the ticket. Thanks

• Advertisement

Navigation and keeping data all worked a treat for me down in Cork, so previous problems either user error (likely) or a software update issue (if in doubt, blame the technology).

No - I don't recall it ever shutting down while following a pre-loaded route ...
    Scratch that!

It shut down numerous times while following a pre-loaded route over 3 days last week. It re-set the data when I restarted it after each shutdown. Luckily I also took my old 500 as a backup and uploaded from that so the rides weren't split up into several separate activities each day.

It seems to work fine now when running normally without following a route. I checked out the updates and it has the latest installed.

Scratch that!

It shut down numerous times while following a pre-loaded route over 3 days last week. It re-set the data when I restarted it after each shutdown. Luckily I also took my old 500 as a backup and uploaded from that so the rides weren't split up into several separate activities each day.

It seems to work fine now when running normally without following a route. I checked out the updates and it has the latest installed.

Yep same happened to me. Did you create the route in Strava and transfer it to your Garmin? I think this is where the problem lies. I've tried selecting a destination on the Garmin and letting it plot a course. it has worked so far (fingers crossed!)

edit: i've also switched off all the "Avoidance" features and set the calculation Method to "Minimize Time". Reason i did this is to try and get it to plot the most direct route.

Yep same happened to me. Did you create the route in Strava and transfer it to your Garmin? I think this is where the problem lies. I've tried selecting a destination on the Garmin and letting it plot a course. it has worked so far (fingers crossed!)

edit: i've also switched off all the "Avoidance" features and set the calculation Method to "Minimize Time". Reason i did this is to try and get it to plot the most direct route.
    Yes, routes created on Strava and exported to Garmin.

When selecting a destination on the Garmin, do you just zoom in on the map and select it? That's fine if you just wish to get a straightforward route from A to B but wouldn't work for a 'leisure loop' unless it was done bit by bit. (Can you select a new destination after having arrived at the initial destination and continue on the same activity without saving it?).

When selecting a destination on the Garmin, do you just zoom in on the map and select it? That's fine if you just wish to get a straightforward route from A to B but wouldn't work for a 'leisure loop' unless it was done bit by bit. (Can you select a new destination after having arrived at the initial destination and continue on the same activity without saving it?).

Yes I zoom into the map and select the destination manually.

I believe you can add "Waypoints" between the start and finish points, but, i've never done it and not sure if it can be done on the garmin directly. It would be nice to know how to do it.

Scratch that!

I wonder if you use a GPX file derived from a base map which is different to the map on your device you hit these issue. For example, there are positions that are on-road in open street map that are off road in Google maps, and no doubt vice-versa. The times I've found where the Garmin gets its knickers in a twist are when you go off road while navigating, and it comes unstuck recalculating how to get back on course. This could easily happen if your pre-loaded course included positions that weren't on your base map. I had a look at the Strava GPX output this morning and it seems to be reporting positions to ridiculous levels of accuracy (i.e. sub-micron) where other software is happy enough with 10cm in plan and 1m in elevation or no elevation at all, e.g.

Single point in GPX from Strava;

<trkpt lat="53.008990000000004" lon="-6.30513">
    <ele>140.12000000000003</ele>
    </trkpt>

Similar GPX from map my ride;

<trkpt lat="51.51917" lon="-9.38013"/>

and from BikeMap.NET

<trkpt lat="52.93482" lon="-6.7083"><ele>129</ele></trkpt>

The Strava GPX files are also bigger than they should be which could also be choking the Garmin.

Advertisement