Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭webpal

Does anyone know if its possible to get access to the eurocamp kids clubs if you chose a different operator? (Happy to pay). The dates we want, the only available accomodation is 876 with eurocamp where as its between 400 and 650 with everyone else

I don't think you can, try this discount code for eurocamp: 18RISC04

Save up to 55% on your 2018 Eurocamp Holiday

Nights On Parc: % Discount:

01 April - 25 May | 55%

26 May - 29 June |50%

30 Jun - 20 July | 35%

21 July - 30 Aug |25%

31 Aug onwards | 35%

The discounts apply per night to the accommodation base price and supplements based on the total holiday duration within the relevant date bands. The offer is subject to availability and a minimum duration of 3 nights with a maximum duration of 21 nights. The offer is only applicable to new 2018 bookings and cannot be applied retrospectively to an existing reservation. The offer is subject to the booking terms and conditions as stated in the 2018 Eurocamp brochure and cannot be combined with any other Eurocamp offer or discount. The offer is subject to availability.

The offer applies to Classic and Safari Tents, Classic, Esprit, Espace and Vista mobile homes only. All other accommodation types are excluded.

All parcs are included except: CD011, CD012, CD013, CD019, HL012, IA022, IL019, IS018, RV015, VN011, VS011, WM017, WM020, WM032. Selected parcs may be excluded at any time.

The offer is only valid for bookings made between 21st February 2018 and 18th April 2018. The offer cannot be redeemed through travel agents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

webpal wrote: »
    I don't think you can, try this discount code for eurocamp: 18RISC04

Save up to 55% on your 2018 Eurocamp Holiday

Nights On Parc: % Discount:

01 April - 25 May | 55%

26 May - 29 June |50%

30 Jun - 20 July | 35%

21 July - 30 Aug |25%

31 Aug onwards | 35%

The discounts apply per night to the accommodation base price and supplements based on the total holiday duration within the relevant date bands. The offer is subject to availability and a minimum duration of 3 nights with a maximum duration of 21 nights. The offer is only applicable to new 2018 bookings and cannot be applied retrospectively to an existing reservation. The offer is subject to the booking terms and conditions as stated in the 2018 Eurocamp brochure and cannot be combined with any other Eurocamp offer or discount. The offer is subject to availability.

The offer applies to Classic and Safari Tents, Classic, Esprit, Espace and Vista mobile homes only. All other accommodation types are excluded.

All parcs are included except: CD011, CD012, CD013, CD019, HL012, IA022, IL019, IS018, RV015, VN011, VS011, WM017, WM020, WM032. Selected parcs may be excluded at any time.

The offer is only valid for bookings made between 21st February 2018 and 18th April 2018. The offer cannot be redeemed through travel agents.

Legend thank you, that worked and with a slight adjustment on dates we got eurocamp for 480 for 10 days which I'm delighted with

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭nirvana78

Legend thank you, that worked and with a slight adjustment on dates we got eurocamp for 480 for 10 days which I'm delighted with

I love the comradery in this thread, I myself got a discount code here for last years holiday. We got a discount code for the ferry and bit of helpful info thrown in for booking a ferry using Tesco vouchers. After getting last year's discount, I held off booking this year's holiday until I seen a bit of activity here about active discount codes. As expected the discount code was shared and again I got a discount.

Thanks to all that share info and codes for both travel and accommodation, you're a great bunch and it's much appreciated.

nirvana78 wrote: »
    I love the comradery in this thread, I myself got a discount code here for last years holiday. We got a discount code for the ferry and bit of helpful info thrown in for booking a ferry using Tesco vouchers. After getting last year's discount, I held off booking this year's holiday until I seen a bit of activity here about active discount codes. As expected the discount code was shared and again I got a discount.

Thanks to all that share info and codes for both travel and accommodation, you're a great bunch and it's much appreciated.

Agreed! Now I just need to figure out what’s best value on the ferry and we’ll be sorred

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Agreed! Now I just need to figure out what’s best value on the ferry and we’ll be sorred

Which ferry and in relation to what? Food? Accommodation?

I've been on all the current ferries (bar IF's brand new ferry) and having tried both the 2* and 5* cabins, bringing our own food on board and the full service restaurants whats' best value for us, being 2 adults and two kids who are now 13 and 17 but started doing this aged 3 and 7, (it'll be different for different families) is to stop near the ferry for a big lunch or dinner before we board, bring some freshly made up baguettes (ham + cheese + salad etc) in case we get peckish and we stay in 2* cabins with windows. This typically saves us €200 to €300 over eating in the full service restaurant on board and staying in the higher graded cabins which have a little more space and/or a TV etc.

The money saved is then quite deliberately used to pay for at least 2 nice meals out whilst on holiday and everyone seems happy with the trade off.

• Advertisement

I've been on all the current ferries (bar IF's brand new ferry) and having tried both the 2* and 5* cabins, bringing our own food on board and the full service restaurants whats' best value for us, being 2 adults and two kids who are now 13 and 17 but started doing this aged 3 and 7, (it'll be different for different families) is to stop near the ferry for a big lunch or dinner before we board, bring some freshly made up baguettes (ham + cheese + salad etc) in case we get peckish and we stay in 2* cabins with windows. This typically saves us €200 to €300 over eating in the full service restaurant on board and staying in the higher graded cabins which have a little more space and/or a TV etc.

The money saved is then quite deliberately used to pay for at least 2 nice meals out whilst on holiday and everyone seems happy with the trade off.

We booked yesterday! Travelling with stenaline and will definitely be bringing food on board. We did England last year and even then the boat was expensive. Feeding us for a 17hr trip would definitely cost more! I’ll be bringing the flasks and food!

We booked yesterday! Travelling with stenaline and will definitely be bringing food on board. We did England last year and even then the boat was expensive. Feeding us for a 17hr trip would definitely cost more! I’ll be bringing the flasks and food!

For us stopping off at Culletons Bar in Rosslare for lunch before getting the (typically) 4pm ferry is 100% part of the holiday, it's actually the start of the holiday. Nice relaxing lunch and a handy 5 minute drive to the ferry afterwards where we just chill out reading and/or watching movies and/or sleeping + myself and my wife have a few drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

For us stopping off at Culletons Bar in Rosslare for lunch before getting the (typically) 4pm ferry is 100% part of the holiday, it's actually the start of the holiday. Nice relaxing lunch and a handy 5 minute drive to the ferry afterwards where we just chill out reading and/or watching movies and/or sleeping + myself and my wife have a few drinks.

Same as that. The food stop before the ferry is officially the start of the the holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

And the funny thing is, the older the kids get they don't want to go out for dinner, prefer bbq etc.

And the funny thing is, the older the kids get they don't want to go out for dinner, prefer bbq etc.

True for me also, I used to think it was because of my fantastic BBQ skills but the reality is staying in for a BBQ allows them to spend more time onsite with their friends :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

True for me also, I used to think it was because of my fantastic BBQ skills but the reality is staying in for a BBQ allows them to spend more time onsite with their friends :(

Sorry to ask this question again, but you said you had a device to allow multiple people to log on to the wifi when in France, do you remember what it was?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

nirvana78 wrote: »

Are any of the discount codes still active? Looking for one for a September booking - thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭nirvana78

muckety wrote: »
    Are any of the discount codes still active? Looking for one for a September booking - thanks!

I don't know of any codes for the ferry at the minute. I booked our holiday last August so the codes will have expired. If you look back a few posts you will see a Eurocamp discount code, that's what inspired me to write my original post... Are you looking for codes for both the ferry and the campsite or do you have the ferry already booked?

Sorry to ask this question again, but you said you had a device to allow multiple people to log on to the wifi when in France, do you remember what it was?

Thanks

In theory a Win 10 laptop (or maybe it was a Win 8) could receive WiFi and then re-transmit it as a router so numerous devices could connect but as I found out a few years ago that is only achievable if the provider of the source WiFi allows or and funnily enough the vendors of device limited WiFi licences didn't permit it!

The alternative (which I also tried one year) was to buy a data sim from Three UK, insert it in an android phone and turn the hotspot function in. This technically worked but the data connection was so poor it could barely support one device connected to it doing light surfing ie reading text based websites and sending and receiving bog standard email.

I've since given up trying to be too clever with or expecting too much from either the on-site WiFi or mobile data network. Now I just pay circa €35 for the on-site WiFi, use it on my phone and work laptop to keep in to of emails etc and claim it back as a business expense.

For entertainment I bring a 1TB external hard drive full of content (TV series and movies) and a small android media box which is connected directly to the TV and also acts a library so the kids can copy over some movies etc the their phones/tablets as needs be.

I might try and do something clever with Plex this year so they can steam direct from the hard drive over a local WiFi network I'd set up on arrival but that would be more a geek project for me than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭spindex

If anyone booked their holiday with alfresco this year. We could both get a 60 euro discount with their recommend a friend option.

https://www.alfresco-holidays.ie/deals-offers-inspiration/refer-a-friend.

Let me know if you are interested

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Crank Stain

If anyone is hoping to see a stage of the Tour de France in the Vendee this year, the expected arrival times of the publicity caravan and the riders are on the attached map.

http://www.vendee-tourism.co.uk/media/parcoursgranddeparttourdefrance2018vendee__048932800_1534_31012018.jpg

Also, in case anyone is interested, some campsites have a free week offer during the Tour, you have to book direct and mention the code TDFVENDEE at time of booking.

http://www.vendee-tourism.co.uk/discover/occasions/vendee---cycling-and-le-tour-de-france/special-offers-on-accommodation/campsites-buy-1-week-1-week-free/

I’ve already booked and can’t recommend any of the sites listed and I’ve no idea of availability either. I was looking for the map and found the offer by chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭molly dolly

I'm smiling at the lunch reccies. Our youngest lives for the mickey Ds on the last roundabout. We book the 4* going out and I bring almost everything that we need. The eldest is like can we not just have dinner like a normal family ;-) (yes when you pay).

I've found Eurocamp drifting up with prices and for less. We loved their soccer clubs which are now gone so for the first time ever I've gone and booked through Kelair. Hope its ok. Even with codes its still cheaper then what Eurocamp want. Though some of their newer mobiles are lovely. We even had an ensuite in Clarys Plage.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Quango Unchained

I'm looking at Eurocamp place in Brittany. The Irish (.ie) website is 10% more expensive that the UK (.co.uk) for the same holiday home.

Any reason not to book via the UK site?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Quango Unchained

I'm looking at Eurocamp place in Brittany. The Irish (.ie) website is 10% more expensive that the UK (.co.uk) for the same holiday home.

The Eurcocamp discount code from a few pages back worked on the Irish site and not the UK site so it made the Irish site slightly cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

I booked with the site directly and saved a ton of money. (About €400). Miht be worth it if you want?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Would love any Feedback on the new Irish Ferries Boat once anyone has travelled on it.
    We are unfortunately skipping this Summer on the Ferry/Campsite Holiday but looking ahead to 2019 already😀

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

In theory a Win 10 laptop (or maybe it was a Win 8) could receive WiFi and then re-transmit it as a router so numerous devices could connect but as I found out a few years ago that is only achievable if the provider of the source WiFi allows or and funnily enough the vendors of device limited WiFi licences didn't permit it!

The alternative (which I also tried one year) was to buy a data sim from Three UK, insert it in an android phone and turn the hotspot function in. This technically worked but the data connection was so poor it could barely support one device connected to it doing light surfing ie reading text based websites and sending and receiving bog standard email.

I've since given up trying to be too clever with or expecting too much from either the on-site WiFi or mobile data network. Now I just pay circa €35 for the on-site WiFi, use it on my phone and work laptop to keep in to of emails etc and claim it back as a business expense.

For entertainment I bring a 1TB external hard drive full of content (TV series and movies) and a small android media box which is connected directly to the TV and also acts a library so the kids can copy over some movies etc the their phones/tablets as needs be.

I might try and do something clever with Plex this year so they can steam direct from the hard drive over a local WiFi network I'd set up on arrival but that would be more a geek project for me than anything else.

I've used a crowd called Travel Wifi in France a few times. Google will get you there. Not cheap at something like €7 p/day but it was an out of the box no-brainer solution, collect the little unit at hotel/campsite reception and pop it back in any postbox in a prepaid jiffybag on your way home. Kept everyone including a data savage teenager happy. We would have had a laptop, tablet and a few phones hung out of it regularly. Not used them in last couple of years so pricing likely to have changed.

Redderneck wrote: »
    I've used a crowd called Travel Wifi in France a few times. Google will get you there. Not cheap at something like €7 p/day but it was an out of the box no-brainer solution, collect the little unit at hotel/campsite reception and pop it back in any postbox in a prepaid jiffybag on your way home. Kept everyone including a data savage teenager happy. We would have had a laptop, tablet and a few phones hung out of it regularly. Not used them in last couple of years so pricing likely to have changed.

You're not wrong there!!!

Put my dates in and got this pricing proposal.

France-WiFi1522756031.jpg

21 days for a family = €546.

Mmmm, think I'll pass :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I tried a different one on google, and It came back much more reasonable, has sharing for 5 devices too

https://my-webspot.com

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

You doing it right?!! I tapped in a random 21 days in June for France and got €102.90 and €144.90 respectively. Now that's STILL not cheap, granted, but a slight difference all the same!

Anyways - not shilling for them. There are doubtless cheaper options...

My dates are 3 weeks from Mid June.

Pricing was just an FYI really. These mobile WiFi devices all require decent network signals in order to work and where I'm going (La Reserve) is on the edge of a large lake with rubbish signal so no matter how good these devices are they won't be much use without a good 4G connection.

The campsite WiFi is adequate for basic browsing and email etc (and reclaimable as a business expense) and we all now have 6GB of roaming data per month included in our respective mobile phone plans with Three which combined with a 1TB USB drive of yet to be watched movies, documentaries and TV series means we'll be fine even if it does lash rain for a few days.

It's very much a first world problem :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Maybe I'm missing something but why are people even bothering to research data options abroad with free EU data roaming these days and tethering from a phone for any tablets / laptops?

I know some carriers restrict it to a fixed percentage of your monthly bundle(I'm with vodafone so get the full 30 GB allowance abroad) and some restrict to 3g only (even though they deny it), but why pay for something when its free?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

talla wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something but why are people even bothering to research data options abroad with free EU data roaming these days and tethering from a phone for any tablets / laptops?

I know some carriers restrict it to a fixed percentage of your monthly bundle(I'm with vodafone so get the full 30 GB allowance abroad) and some restrict to 3g only (even though they deny it), but why pay for something when its free?

My thoughts exactly. Get yourself an old phone. Get a SIM for 3 and top up with €20. Unlimitted data at home for the month and the same abroad. Plug the old phone in and use it as a modem everyone can connect to. Can be used in the mobile, the car, anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭webpal

Quazzie wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly. Get yourself an old phone. Get a SIM for 3 and top up with €20. Unlimitted data at home for the month and the same abroad. Plug the old phone in and use it as a modem everyone can connect to. Can be used in the mobile, the car, anywhere.
    I'm with 3 payg and you only get 6gb roaming and as far as I know once roaming you cannot tether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

webpal wrote: »
    I'm with 3 payg and you only get 6gb roaming and as far as I know once roaming you cannot tether.

Did it change recently because that's the method I've been using all over the UK for many years, and I used it in Nice last year.

Advertisement