Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭webpal

Quazzie wrote: »
    Did it change recently because that's the method I've been using all over the UK for many years, and I used it in Nice last year.

This is the one I'm one, T&Cs state Tethering or use of your handset as, or the SIM in conjunction with, a modem is not allowed, except in the case of Three customers who have subscribed to a Three handset and Tablet bundle offering.

Perhaps your plan has been grandfathered?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

webpal wrote: »
    This is the one I'm one, T&Cs state Tethering or use of your handset as, or the SIM in conjunction with, a modem is not allowed, except in the case of Three customers who have subscribed to a Three handset and Tablet bundle offering.

Perhaps your plan has been grandfathered?

Maybe it's because it's an old sim card I keep topped up every 6 months or so, or whenever I go foreign. I'm away at the end of June so I'll report back with how I found it.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Maybe it's because it's an old sim card I keep topped up every 6 months or so, or whenever I go foreign. I'm away at the end of June so I'll report back with how I found it.

I was like that with meteor but they eventually sent me a mail saying they were changing T&Cs so I left. Tbh the reason I took such an interest was we were away last August and we were going to miss both all Ireland semis. I had planned on watching them on the phone rather than going hunting for a tv. Thankfully the campsite had them anyway but in any case the kids are getting older now and my monthly gbs are going through the roof at home so will probably need more for roaming this year anyway. Might get a three uk sim, you can get 12gb roaming with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,944 ✭✭✭✭josip

I heard that Three can detect and stop you hotspotting if you've an iPhone, but not if you've an Android.
    I've no idea if this is correct or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭billbond4

Three can detect if your tethering on Android as well on all new versions of android its very hard to hide the fact that your tethering.
    Thats why I have an old android phone that I tether from;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭molly dolly

Domaine Des Ormes has excellent facilities. Big busy site. Accessible for both Cherbourg and Rosscoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭ger34

Thanks for the replys folks.
    Took your advice re: holyhead-calais.
    Latest plan is ferry from Rosslare to Roscoff, overnight stop in Bourges, then onto Frejus next day.
    6-7 hours driving each day, but i dont mind driving.
    Anymore advice will be greatly received.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Last Summer we did Dublin-Holyhead and then stayed for 5 nights in the UK and went on to the Tunnel Folkestone-Calais and drove down to Parc des Ecrins region which was approx 10 hours of driving - we stopped overnight around Dijon.

We had wanted to go through the UK for a specific reason but I wouldn't do it again without a reason. I would stick to the Ferry to France.

We like bringing the Car though and don't mind long drives in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

SusanC10 wrote: »
    <snip>
    We had wanted to go through the UK for a specific reason but I wouldn't do it again without a reason. I would stick to the Ferry to France.
    <snip>
    well, one good reason is that the ferry companies make hay during the summer and have really high prices on the direct Ireland-France ferry, but have way more competitive rates on the Landbridge. As for saving on driving by going with the direct ferry, heres the french portion :
    (via Britain) Calais to Fréjusis 1,167 km
    (via France) Cherbourg to Fréjus 1,221 km (skirting Paris)
    (via France) Roscoff to Fréjus 1,388 km (skirting Paris)

I'd agree, the direct ferry is better all things being equal as it makes a long drive a little less long, and I take it myself when its a reasonable cost, but if they are pulling the utter p1ss with prices like they do in high summer then I go via Britain

You can leave Ireland on an afternoon ferry (2.30 swift, in Holyhead at 4.30), miss rush hour in Birmingam thanks to M6 Toll, miss rush hour in London because its evening time, and be sleeping near the Tunnel by bedtime, in a proper bed (even in that nice Hilton by Darford Tunnel or one of the many premier inns a little nearer the coast)
    Next morning, you're in France before the direct ferry has landed in Britanny/ Normandy, and its a similar if not shorter drive ahead of you, and you don't have to go near Paris.

10% discount with carhireexcise.com with code AF21931 for anyone interested

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

I have driven by car to many destinations in Europe. I take the Dublin Holyhead ferry and then the tunnel in Folkestone.

The trip in the UK takes around 6 hours if you avoid Birmingham and London Peak times as mentioned before.

As you want to drive there, you can easily put some stops in in Britain if you want to do it a bit slower. There are many interesting places you pass along the route of the motorways and you can get off an on very easily again.

I love to drive and do not care for ferries though. When I do my trips I do tend to do over 1000 km a day if it is on the motorway and half that on secondary roads.

For me getting there is all the fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Okay so the has no doubt been asked before so apologies. :)

First time on the ferry overnight this year with three kids (in two cabins on way over one on the way back with Irish ferries).

1) Assume all linen is supplied

2) Any essentials we need to have to hand

3) Can you access car (presume not so need all packed to bring when leaving car?)

4) What do the savvy travellers do regarding breakfast?

Booked dinner already for the evening?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Bring a towel or two, the ones in the cabin are tiny

Have some snacks, food on the boat ain't cheap.

Lots of books etc to keep the kids entertained, a movie or two to watch is a good idea

You can get breakfast on the boat but again, it's pricey. Maybe bring some stuff on to tide you over.

Your car will be inaccessible so have a bag with what you will need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Go down to reception area and ask for an extra pillow or two if you are used to using two pillows as u wont sleep well with just the one very flat one you are supplied with.

Also don't do what I did-- I brought the passports up from car and put them in safe keeping in cabin. Forgot them of course when leaving. Only copped it when hit passport control nearly a 1km after driving off. I was a sweaty mess after running back in 25 degree heat to get them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Baybay

An extra towel wouldn't go amiss but otherwise all linen is provided on board.
    Basic toiletries for showering, teeth etc are required.
    Cabins tend not to be overly spacious so if you can, no bulky items for your own comfort. You see people wrestling all sorts of things in the rush to get downstairs to their cars on docking.
    Your car will be out of bounds for the duration although I suppose if you forget something essential, you will be brought down. We travel with a pet & they've really cuts the amount of visits you get during the voyage in recent years, possibly due to security concerns.
    We like to have dinner & breakfast in the restaurant as for us, the holiday starts once we board.

just a few other bits
    - dont rely on wifi , its slow verging on unusable. Reading the news, checking email, is nigh on impossible, let alone streaming videos.
    - dont send any sms texts on board, as you will be using the onboard mobile network connected to satelite, which is 2euro or something crazy per text. Same for phone calls.
    - the Epsilion ship is classed as an economy service, so common facilities are reasonably limited, so make sure to have stuff to entertain the kids.
    - the sockets in the rooms are likely to be continental ones, so bring an adapter !
    - pack what you need for the ferry before you leave home into a separate rucksack. Try not to bring too much as theres lots of steps (or a lift that everyone wants to use) . If the kids have little bags/ rucksacks that they carry with their choice of toys , then YOU at least arent lugging heaps of toys up the stairs, and by them choosing and carrying, they have to cop on as to what can be brought.
    - half ways across you'll skirt lands end in Cornwall, which I always find as a nice landmark. You also get UK mobile reception so you can make calls for free , if you needed to !
    - for brekkie we always brought a little cereal, plastic bowls, bread, butter, jam and milk and that did us. Of course, thats more stuff to carry up, but you can make a second run to the car if needs be before the ship departs. For infants / small kids it suited us as you can feed them (quieten them!) in seconds without having to leave the cabin.
    - "check-in" can be done from the car, you dont need to park and go into the offices and get stuff stamped. Theres a wee hut at the entry to the port where they'll give you a hanger for your mirror or boarding tickets or room codes or whatever. All very simple. Just have your confirmation letter and passports to hand, in case they are needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Check this thread, starting on this page you should get plenty info, enjoy!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90365223

Great stuff :) thanks for all the replies

A great help

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭paulpd

We always brought a cooler bag with us on board with milk, yogurt, etc and some containers with cereal so we just went to the restaurant in the morning and poured the nilk into the containers of cereal and then bought coffee / croissants. Food is expensive on the boat. (We went Brittany Ferries so needed an adaptor for the cooler bag plug).

We brought an extension (€1.50 in dealz I think) last year and it was much needed. There's only one plug. So instead of trying to charge phones and tablets one after the other, they can be done at once. Adapter needed too. Food can be dear so you could eat somewhere beforehand and bring snacks onboard. Bring water too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Jambalaya

My biggest tip is bring calpol and nurofen for the children! You can't buy them on-board and if your children are unwell, it's better to have them on hand than down in your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭manshay

paulpd wrote: »
    We always brought a cooler bag with us on board with milk, yogurt, etc and some containers with cereal so we just went to the restaurant in the morning and poured the nilk into the containers of cereal and then bought coffee / croissants. Food is expensive on the boat. (We went Brittany Ferries so needed an adaptor for the cooler bag plug).

We bought a rigid walled cooler box(one without a plug). We freeze the milk 24 hours before departure(leave it upright in the freezer with the top loosened), it will have defrosted for breakfast on the ferry and keeps any other supplies cool too. The kids love the little multi-packets of cereals.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,944 ✭✭✭✭josip

If any of your party are prone to sea sickness, get and take the tablets before you get on board.
    They don't sell them on board.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The evenings can be long on the board so I'd recommend reading material or cards or whatever (both for adults and kids).
    Although you can buy chocolate or crisps in the onboard shop, you'd have a better choice in your own local supermarket.
    It can get breezy on deck so a fleece is handy.
    If you plan on eating the food in the restaurant, we tended to use the standard restaurant in the evening and the fancy one in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Bring a travel adaptor and a power strip, charge many devices at the same time. The power strip is the best thing I brought on my second trip to France, and next time I'll be bringing at least 2.

Staplor wrote: »
    Bring a travel adaptor and a power strip, charge many devices at the same time. The power strip is the best thing I brought on my second trip to France, and next time I'll be bringing at least 2.
    well....
    There are also multi port usb chargers which are way more compact , some which even have interchangeable prongs so its useful at home for 50 weeks of the year, and abroad for the fortnights holiday
    (also dead handy if flying abroad somewhere)

for example, this : https://www.amazon.co.uk/Charger-Anker-4-Port-PowerPort-Interchangeable/dp/B06Y5RJ32B/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1523553310&sr=1-1&keywords=anker+4+port+usb+charger

417Nksge9BL._SY355_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

well....
    There are also multi port usb chargers which are way more compact , some which even have interchangeable prongs so its useful at home for 50 weeks of the year, and abroad for the fortnights holiday
    (also dead handy if flying abroad somewhere)

for example, this : https://www.amazon.co.uk/Charger-Anker-4-Port-PowerPort-Interchangeable/dp/B06Y5RJ32B/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1523553310&sr=1-1&keywords=anker+4+port+usb+charger

417Nksge9BL._SY355_.jpg

True but you can't plug your radio into it, bring one of them and a power strip.

Wow great stuff and all replies greatly appreciated.

Will be a great help and a good few things there that I would not have thought of Extension lead for one!! As well as the sea sickness tabs and kids meds!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Hi guys,

Had been planning on going to Ibiza (today, as it happens) but ended up with the dates not suiting so we're now shifting focus to France. Looking at mid-May.

Have holidayed in France three times in the last four years so I'm not too bad on the general things. Have gotten tonnes of helpful information on this thread in the past and have hopefully helped a few myself.

I was just wondering if anybody could give a bit of advice on camping in the Normandy region.

We've only ever been camping once in France and it was with Siblu in Les Charmettes, near La Rochelle. We feel we've done that side of France pretty thoroughly so are interested in Normandy now, and would like to fit a trip to Disney in too, if possible.

We have a two year old daughter so think a campsite would be much better than hotels etc. With the time of year, we're looking for an indoor pool and a playground and, beyond that, are pretty open. Ideally, we'd be looking more at the Le Havre side, rather than the St. Malo side, just for day trips and sightseeing, as we've done that other side.

Some first-hand experience would be great, or recommendations you've heard from friends maybe. I know this is not the most popular region for camping and the reviews are very up and down on TripAdvisor.

Also, experience regarding booking direct versus with Eurocamp etc. I think I remember something about being stuck with Sunday checkouts in some instances, which wouldn't suit with our travel days.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭judgefoozle

nkay1985 wrote: »
    We've only ever been camping once in France and it was with Siblu in Les Charmettes, near La Rochelle. We feel we've done that side of France pretty thoroughly so are interested in Normandy now, and would like to fit a trip to Disney in too, if possible.

Can't offer any advice on Normandy, but as for Disney it's definitely worth shopping around on the different European websites, try .de, .es, .fr etc. Some have better offers than others. We booked a stay there this summer and because we went through the .de website, we ended up with a full board package at same price as accom & tickets only on the .ie website, if I remember right.

Advertisement