Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

We've only ever been camping once in France and it was with Siblu in Les Charmettes, near La Rochelle. We feel we've done that side of France pretty thoroughly so are interested in Normandy now, and would like to fit a trip to Disney in too, if possible.

Can't comment on Normandy but would you consider further inland? We stayed with Eurocamp at La Croix du Vieux Pont in the Picardy region.

It's a 3-3.5 hour drive from Le Havre but on the up side it's a great site and only 1-1.5 hours from DLP and about the same from Parc Asterix. The site, when we were there at least, ran a bus trip down to DLP as well as one to Paris.

Site has a covered (retractable roof) pool & an indoor kids pool. Indoor play areas. Lake with boats & pedalos. Fishing lake. Small lake with a manmade beach.Trampolines & inflatables. Kids club. Pub, restaurant & take-away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

fdevine wrote: »
    Can't comment on Normandy but would you consider further inland? We stayed with Eurocamp at La Croix du Vieux Pont in the Picardy region.

It's a 3-3.5 hour drive from Le Havre but on the up side it's a great site and only 1-1.5 hours from DLP and about the same from Parc Asterix. The site, when we were there at least, ran a bus trip down to DLP as well as one to Paris.

Site has a covered (retractable roof) pool & an indoor kids pool. Indoor play areas. Lake with boats & pedalos. Fishing lake. Small lake with a manmade beach.Trampolines & inflatables. Kids club. Pub, restaurant & take-away.

One of our favourite sites we went to last year. Only an hours drive from Disneyland, we went two days and another day parked at the Val d'Europe shopping centre and got the train into Paris. Has plenty to do but but didn't feel too manic.

Stayed in Des Ormes too kids loved it but my wife and I found it a bit busy. Every thing is based in one central area which also is the main road in and out. The pools and activates were great though so we probably will go back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭nirvana78

Wow great stuff and all replies greatly appreciated.

Will be a great help and a good few things there that I would not have thought of Extension lead for one!! As well as the sea sickness tabs and kids meds!!

Everything that has been said is great advice, my careful bit of advice would be to make sure you unplug your cooler box in the car if you're bringing one. I left ours plugged in overnight and of course it ran down the battery. I realised it during the evening but first time ferry traveller I didn't think they would allow me back to my car so I never said it to anyone, I just hoped and prayed the inevitible wouldn't happen... Well it did, the battery was flat, central locking wouldn't work and not only that we couldn't open the car manually because unbeknown to me I had a faulty door lock. After agreeing to break one of the tiny windows at the front of the car, the member of staff said he'd try the lock one more time and would you believe it opened... Major lesson learnt for me that day, after that we drove off the boat and had a great holiday... Best of luck on your holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭molly dolly

May in Normandy might be a bit iffy for camping! but then its down to luck. Disney is a fair stretch from Cherbourg but La Croix du Vieux Pont in a good campsite. Loads of WW1 history locally too if that is of interest. We enjoyed Domaine having older kids we need busier sites.

Have to say the car port staff on the ferry are excellent. One year our ds left a light on battery ran down. They had us jumped pretty pronto and no big deal. Wouldn't even take a tenner from a grateful dh who was almost ready to murder the eldest ;-) Its something we always check now.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭kfc1

Guys, booked me holiers!!! Not to France I admit but to Bella Italia.
    Just wondering if anyones booked thru Roan??
    I booked last night but didnt ask for cc no or anything to secure booking which I thought odd?
    Appreciate any info!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Has anyone ever heard of Irish Ferries closing new bookings on particular crossings due to "precautionary measures"?

Was going to book return to France in August and saw the dates there no problem this morning, but when I went back to actually do it this afternoon the return date had disappeared. When I got onto chat with the rep she said " am afraid we have closed some sailings to new bookings as a precautionary measure, including the one on the X August from A to B. If you can please contact us back tomorrow as we will have more information on this.".. When I asked if that meant it was booked out or what she said, "These sailings have been closed today as a precautionary measure, and we hope to re-open these dates for new bookings. We will have more information on this tomorrow afternoon."

Sounds bizarre. Anyone got any insight?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭pmpa

Funny you have highlighted this Spockety, I am booked to go out of Rosslare in July and that date has disappeared off the calendar for new bookings. I am hoping that Irish Ferries will advertise again all the dates that they have previously allocated but I feel with the addition of The W.B. Yeats there could be a huge surplus. It will mean us missing at least one day of our holidays if our date is cancelled. Let me know if you hear anything back from them.

Got this:

"We have closed some sailings to new bookings as a precautionary measure. As we await the final updates regarding the build of our new ship, we hope to re-open these dates for new bookings by the end of April. "

Only thing I can think of is that while the ship will be sailing on those dates, they may not have full capacity because the fitout isn't finished?? i.e. not all cabins done? Sounds bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Baybay

Cannot post a link today for some reason but if you look on Twitter, the WB Yeats only began fitout on April 9. It may not be delayed yet but it may also be too soon to confirm.

Baybay wrote: »
    Cannot post a link today for some reason but if you look on Twitter, the WB Yeats only began fitout on April 9. It may not be delayed yet but it may also be too soon to confirm.

But they are still taking bookings on earlier dates for that boat... I was able to book this morning outbound from Dublin to Cherbourg for 10 days earlier than the date which they have pulled...

• Advertisement

My sailing is on the Oscar Wilde so can't understand why some dates are gone now.

We had contemplated booking the new ship but only live an hour from Rosslare and didn't fancy the hastle of driving to Dublin etc. I've been following the progress online though. Does seem rather late in the day for summer sailings.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

spockety wrote: »
    But they are still taking bookings on earlier dates for that boat... I was able to book this morning outbound from Dublin to Cherbourg for 10 days earlier than the date which they have pulled...

I'd say the idea is that they will sell half the sailings, and then if the new boat isn't ready all booking will be transferred to the old ships.

I just rang Irish Ferries to query why my outbound sailing date is not showing up for new bookings. The agent took my booking reference number and said the sailing is going ahead. I told her people can't book for that date but she didn't seem to bothered by that.
    If they do have to change bookings on the new ship it will throw people's dates out I'd say if they have to travel out of Rosslare.

pmpa wrote: »
    I just rang Irish Ferries to query why my outbound sailing date is not showing up for new bookings. The agent took my booking reference number and said the sailing is going ahead. I told her people can't book for that date but she didn't seem to bothered by that.
    If they do have to change bookings on the new ship it will throw people's dates out I'd say if they have to travel out of Rosslare.

Well in my case we already had accomodation booked, so to have the return leg disappear from Irish Ferries was a complete pain in the hole. Had to hedge bets by booking Stena Line back to Rosslare instead on that day, with a view to cancelling it if Irish Ferries start taking bookings again to Dublin. My worry now is that the outbound also gets pulled or changed.

spockety wrote: »
    Well in my case we already had accomodation booked, so to have the return leg disappear from Irish Ferries was a complete pain in the hole. Had to hedge bets by booking Stena Line back to Rosslare instead on that day, with a view to cancelling it if Irish Ferries start taking bookings again to Dublin. My worry now is that the outbound also gets pulled or changed.

Hopefully, it will all work out for you. From what they said to you, I'd say they will know a lot more by May. Let us know what the new ship is like. Best of luck with the ferry dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Sounds an awful mess. Happily I'm not looking at a sailing before the autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pennyblack

Staying at Castell Montgri Campsite Estartit in early June 2018 for the first time with 2 teenagers.
    Would really appreciate any tips to make our holiday enjoyable.
    Any info re transfers from Airport to campsite would be most helpful.

Thanks

I'd be really interested in hearing if anyone is on the Ferry to Santander. In theory I think we'd go for it next year then I go no frills service, long sailing, 3 boys and think no maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

I'd be really interested in hearing if anyone is on the Ferry to Santander. In theory I think we'd go for it next year then I go no frills service, long sailing, 3 boys and think no maybe not.

At 24 hours or thereabouts, its far too long for me. That's about three full days out of my holidays which would be spent just travelling, two of them stuck on a ferry, and I don't consider sitting on a ferry very relaxing. That route is also meant to be quite rough as you cross the Bay of Biscay so you'd need strong sea legs too! Anyway, my wife and kids would kill me if I suggested it, the kids like the plane too much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Cyclepath

I'm travelling in June from Cork to Santander, and back via Roscoff with Brittany Ferries.

It's costing €1250 (€700 on the Santander leg, €550 on the return via Roscoff) so I'm planning to fill the van with wine to offset the cost ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Cyclepath wrote: »
    I'm travelling in June from Cork to Santander, and back via Roscoff with Brittany Ferries.

It's costing €1250 (€700 on the Santander leg, €550 on the return via Roscoff) so I'm planning to fill the van with wine to offset the cost ;-)

Will you do a detailed report on the sailing to Spain. We're looking at going back to the ferry next yr after 2 years flying and hoping to include the Basque country for a few days then up to a campsite around Biarritz for 10 days before heading to Brittany & home. Cheers..

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭A Law

I was told that the Yeats is delayed by a few weeks. Bookings for the Oscar Wilde are suspended for the first few weeks of July as the people from the Yeats will be transferred over to the OW.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Cyclepath

Will you do a detailed report on the sailing to Spain. We're looking at going back to the ferry next yr after 2 years flying and hoping to include the Basque country for a few days then up to a campsite around Biarritz for 10 days before heading to Brittany & home. Cheers..

I'm doing something similar but heading down as far as Cadiz on the south coast then working my way back through Biarritz and up to the seaside in Brittany. Maybe remind me to report back when I return in mid July!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭webpal

I was told that the Yeats is delayed by a few weeks. Bookings for the Oscar Wilde are suspended for the first few weeks of July as the people from the Yeats will be transferred over to the OW.

Seen their tweets today, tis still being built

webpal wrote: »

Seen their tweets today, tis still being built
    Yikes. Red faces all round.

Where did you hear that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭kindalen

Agent from Irish Ferries has just informed me that all staff have been told so far is that ship delayed until July 12th "at the minute".

Not very reassuring

kindalen wrote: »
    Agent from Irish Ferries has just informed me that all staff have been told so far is that ship delayed until July 12th "at the minute".

Not very reassuring
    That's one way of putting it. Shambolic is another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭judgefoozle

Just had an email saying my sailing for July 23 cancelled and by the sounds of it I'm not guaranteed a sailing on the same date on any of their other ships. This sounds like it could be a total pain in the ass.

Advertisement