Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭kindalen

Same, being lied to earlier does not help either. Pr and senior management have handled this so badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭A Law

spockety wrote: »
    Where did you hear that?

Irish ferries staff found out a month ago.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Just had an email saying my sailing for July 23 cancelled and by the sounds of it I'm not guaranteed a sailing on the same date on any of their other ships. This sounds like it could be a total pain in the ass.

Speechless. They are still taking bookings for dates earlier than they have already pulled.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Jeeves1847

Thanks for the heads up. Check your spam folders that's where I just found my email informing me of the Yeats cancellation on July 13th. I just managed to get us booked on the Pont Aven for the journey home. I hope IF don't mess around with regards to refunds.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭murt101

We got the same email �� Not happy at this turn of events, we have work commitments either side of our booking so the WB Yeats sailing days suited us best.
    Their email says they'll be in touch in the coming days or should I try rebooking it myself? There'll be a very disappointed crew in our house if we don't get to sail on the new ferry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Has this shambles been reported in the media at all? I'm out of the country at the moment so I'm not seeing the papers or TV.

Cancelling sailings for people who have arranged their holidays and booked accomodation is nothing short of a disgrace.

Don't see any mention of it in the media yet.

Has anyone actually got through to them? If so how did ye get on? Issue has been handled in such a ham-fisted fashion.

Been trying over 3hrs now via phone, twitter and facebook and I haven't gotten through to anyone yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ruby00

Managed to get through at 8.55 this morning
    Was booked on the cherbourg Dublin Friday July 13. Initially they offered 10th or 16th ?? finally had to go with Sunday 15th epilson to Dublin. Not at all happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

murt101 wrote: »
    Don't see any mention of it in the media yet.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/thousands-have-holiday-plans-thrown-into-disarray-as-irish-ferries-cancels-bookings-1.3469903
    He said that while the delay has yet to be “fully confirmed by the shipyard we have, in the interests of minimising the level of potential disruption to you, taken the decision to cancel your sailing. We will contact you and offer you a space we have held for you on the MV Oscar Wilde close to your booked sailing date.”

The email correspondence said that in the absence of an acceptable alternative passengers will be entitled to a full refund.

“Notwithstanding the extraordinary nature of the delay in the delivery of the ship to us, which is outside of our control, we do really value your support and would like to offer you a goodwill gesture of a €150 electronic voucher off an Ireland - France trip for use next year,” the email said.

Ruby00 wrote: »
    Managed to get through at 8.55 this morning
    Was booked on the cherbourg Dublin Friday July 13. Initially they offered 10th or 16th ?? finally had to go with Sunday 15th epilson to Dublin. Not at all happy

Did they offer to pay for hotel for extra nights?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ruby00

Actually didn't ask presumably answer would be no I did ask if any discount. .NO

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Currently it is the leading story on the Irish Times website under the heading "Thousands have holiday plans thrown into disarray as Irish Ferries cancels bookings"

(It is the same link Ryath posted earlier)
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/thousands-have-holiday-plans-thrown-into-disarray-as-irish-ferries-cancels-bookings-1.3469903

I finally got through. Leaving two nights later. Refused to cover any hotel costs. Was told they will legally fight EU laws.

They have lost all future custom from our extended family.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I've hedged my bets and booked Stena line outbound in case Irish ferries cancel my August sailing. It's a 100% refund on cancel so no brained.

It's for the day before so need to sort accommodation, and the times are awful with small kids (9.30pm dep., 4.30pm arrival), but better than being up the creek without a paddle from Irish Ferries.

If they are confident of August sailings and still taking bookings for early August, then why is the 10th August Cherbourg to Dublin still closed to new bookings? Hmmmm...

spockety wrote: »
    I've hedged my bets and booked Stena line outbound in case Irish ferries cancel my August sailing. It's a 100% refund on cancel so no brained.

It's for the day before so need to sort accommodation, and the times are awful with small kids (9.30pm dep., 4.30pm arrival), but better than being up the creek without a paddle from Irish Ferries.

If they are confident of August sailings and still taking bookings for early August, then why is the 10th August Cherbourg to Dublin still closed to new bookings? Hmmmm...
    I presume it is to keep some capacity available just in case. We think of it as a car ferry but the commercial stuff is their bread and butter.

It must be complete panic stations. Has anyone said what has caused the problems with the new ship? I hope they have a hefty penalty clause built in because this is a catastrophe for IF.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Cucumber1

Thanks Spockety!!!
    Just did the same thing, booked return with stena, don't like this boat but at least it is certain to get us to France and back.
    I will cancel if we get any reasonable alternative. We are back early August, who knows if WB Yeates will be operational then, I guess nobody knows.

The email says they will contact us with alternative closer to the date??!! This may be a sailing +/- a week and if not acceptable they will offer a refund. Outrageous....!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Cucumber1 wrote: »
    Who knows if WB Yeates will be operational then, I guess nobody knows.

If the updates on IF social media is to considered current, I honestly couldn’t see this ship running for a while yet. The fact that it’s not even finished yet and wouldn’t have had sea trials and commissioning carried out makes me think there is at least 2-3 months left before this vessel sails. These things ain’t like cars where you just sit in and drive them off, there’s a lot of commissioning and certifications that need to be completed before it heads out on service, not to mention staff training..

I hope I’m wrong, I know first hand the build up and excitement with getting ready to head off to France for the holidays.

• Advertisement

Cucumber1 wrote: »
    Who knows if WB Yeates will be operational then, I guess nobody knows.

If the updates on IF social media is to considered current, I honestly couldn’t see this ship running for a while yet. The fact that it’s not even finished yet and wouldn’t have had sea trials and commissioning carried out makes me think there is at least 2-3 months left before this vessel sails. These things ain’t like cars where you just sit in and drive them off, there’s a lot of commissioning and certifications that need to be completed before it heads out on service, not to mention staff training..

I hope I’m wrong, I know first hand the build up and excitement with getting ready to head off to France for the holidays.
    Well at least there are other ways of getting to France with IF and Stena from Rosslare and if all else fails, the landbridge through  UK.  But I can't  see anyone trusting the WB Yeats (or IF) for quite a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Needs a forum move.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,944 ✭✭✭✭josip

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0421/956193-irish-ferries/
    Those affected were contacted by email yesterday and offered a €150 voucher as a goodwill gesture from the company for use on future sailings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭webpal

From twitter - Please note that to further assist those affected by WB Yeats cancellations 12-29 Jul incl., our reservations team is also available today Sunday until 4pm. Please call 0818300400.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

First Up wrote: »
    Well at least there are other ways of getting to France with IF and Stena from Rosslare and if all else fails, the landbridge through  UK.  But I can't  see anyone trusting the WB Yeats (or IF) for quite a long time.

There is also the option of using the new Brittany ferries sailing from Cork to Santander, which is only a 2 hour drive away from southern France

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bryji

I called them yesterday, had low expectations as I couldn't see any good alternatives on their website. Guess they had deliberately removed them though as they have me 3 options leaving day before or after, on OW or Epsilon. So quite happy really, will deal with extra days holiday. Was envisaging having to fly or land bridge. Wouldn't have been happy wIth Epsilon though.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭judgefoozle

Bryji wrote: »
    3 options leaving day before or after, on OW or Epsilon.

This is what I'm worried about - we're due to leave on a Sunday. I've a wedding the day before and I've booked Disneyland from the Monday.

So leaving day before not an option - leaving day after means losing out on nearly two full days in the parks.

Looks like best/only option is via UK but I really wanted to avoid long 6+ hour car journeys this year. Can't think of any other option but im waiting to hear what they can offer.

Really shoddy way that they're dealing with it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bryji

I would call them, they are apparently taking calls today. The earlier you make arrangements the more options they would have. Still I expect you're right, land bridge likely only option. Guess you checked if Stena or BF have a sailing available that day?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭judgefoozle

Bryji wrote: »
    I would call them, they are apparently taking calls today. The earlier you make arrangements the more options they would have. Still I expect you're right, land bridge likely only option. Guess you checked if Stena or BF have a sailing available that day?

Couldn't find anyone else that sails on Sunday unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The IT continues reporting on the saga...
    ‘We will never go on Irish Ferries again’ - Family €400 out of pocket after cancellation
    A family whose holiday to France has been disrupted by Irish Ferries’ cancellations has said they will have to pay around €400 in extra accommodation costs and will never travel with the transport company again.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/we-will-never-go-on-irish-ferries-again-family-400-out-of-pocket-after-cancellation-1.3470218

Advertisement