Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Toots wrote: »
    So there was a competition to name it and it didn't end up being called Shippy McShipface???

It should have been called the WB Lates

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭judgefoozle

That's priceless and I don't think I can call it anything else from now on.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Toots wrote: »
    So there was a competition to name it and it didn't end up being called Shippy McShipface???

Give that man free tickets for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭A Law

U need to tweet them that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    He wasn't running a high profile ad. campaign for a competition to name the ship either.
    Wasn't the prize 10 years free travel or something?

I wonder who won.

WB Yeats isn’t a far reach from their other ship Oscar Wilde. Who won indeed.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

To a cynic like me, the competition was an email harvesting operation, and they had the name picked long ago.
    Personally I think ships should be named after women anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    To a cynic like me, the competition was an email harvesting operation, and they had the name picked long ago.
    Personally I think ships should be named after women anyway.

Because they take ages to get ready?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 happysmurfette

Hi. Has anyone ever been to Yelloh campsite etolie des neiges? If so does anyone have any recommendations things to see in the local area, local supermarkets etc. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭nellie07

Hi Everyone, we travelled to Benodet and stayed in Port de Plasance last year really enjoyed it. This year we are going to Le Litterol in the Vendee region on 9th of June. We felt that in Benodet the full entertainment wasnt up and running and have been assured Le Litterol it will.. Has anyone travelled at this time of year?

Also one other question we have two kids bikes, 5 year old and 3 year old, is there any bike rack for the back of the car suitable for childrens bikes? Asked in Halfords last year and they said they didnt have any.

Thanks so much.

nellie07 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone, we travelled to Benodet and stayed in Port de Plasance last year really enjoyed it. This year we are going to Le Litterol in the Vendee region on 9th of June. We felt that in Benodet the full entertainment wasnt up and running and have been assured Le Litterol it will.. Has anyone travelled at this time of year?

Also one other question we have two kids bikes, 5 year old and 3 year old, is there any bike rack for the back of the car suitable for childrens bikes? Asked in Halfords last year and they said they didnt have any.

Thanks so much.

I've used a "normal" bike rack for a mix of kids and full size/adults bikes - never had problems with bikes for 5+ but I'm not sure about a 3 year old. Can you get it to fit across both support bars? Would it not fit in the boot itself?

If you do manage to fit it on, get a few ratchet straps aswell - extra peace of mind when travelling motorways

• Advertisement

Thats great thanks so much we had both bikes in the boot yesterday and you couldnt fit anything else in there after the two bikes! We have a roof box but great to know that you were able to fit at least the 5 year old bike on. Will get ratchet straps as well we dont normally take bikes with us only when going to France.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭molly dolly

Ditto we just use the normal rack and the big boys are 11 and 13 so nearly adult sizes. Could actually fix another bike to it if we wanted to bring one for littlest.

We were in Le Littoral 8 years ago. Nice area. We would prefer it to Clarys Plage but still lots to do.

Ditto we just use the normal rack and the big boys are 11 and 13 so nearly adult sizes. Could actually fix another bike to it if we wanted to bring one for littlest.

We were in Le Littoral 8 years ago. Nice area. We would prefer it to Clarys Plage but still lots to do.

Hey did you feel Clarys Plage was better? Our children are young so felt this one might suit us better this time! We're getting braver with each trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Thats great thanks so much we had both bikes in the boot yesterday and you couldnt fit anything else in there after the two bikes! We have a roof box but great to know that you were able to fit at least the 5 year old bike on. Will get ratchet straps as well we dont normally take bikes with us only when going to France.

One or two of these make loading up a bike rack a whole lot easier and will accommodate all shapes and sizes of bike.

Bike-Frame-Adaptor1525169837.jpg

One or two of these make loading up a bike rack a whole lot easier and will accommodate all shapes and sizes of bike.

Bike-Frame-Adaptor1525169837.jpg

excellent thanks so much will send that on to the husband!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭yellow76

6 weeks left to lift-off and excitement is building. We are heading to Les Charmettes campsite in June.

Just wondering has anyone any advice or recommendations for us in relation to places to see or things to do with 2 smallies (8 and 6yrs).

Also we have booked our accommodation privately, and wonder when we buy the fun passes, does that give access to a kids club?

Also in relation to swimwear, how are they on swim trunks for men and boys? Are the shorty style trunks acceptable?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Jpm123

yellow76 wrote: »
    6 weeks left to lift-off and excitement is building. We are heading to Les Charmettes campsite in June.

Just wondering has anyone any advice or recommendations for us in relation to places to see or things to do with 2 smallies (8 and 6yrs).

Also we have booked our accommodation privately, and wonder when we buy the fun passes, does that give access to a kids club?

Also in relation to swimwear, how are they on swim trunks for men and boys? Are the shorty style trunks acceptable?

Hi we have been to Les Charmettesthe last two years and are heading back their at the start of July. It’s a great campsite and I hope you enjoy it. Their is lots of things to do in the area. A must is the zoo. It’s a great day out. Yuppie land and Indian village are also good fun. There really is so many things to do in the area you won’t be disappointed. St palais on the way to Royan is beautiful beach for an evening stroll and a bite to eat in one of the restaurants. As for the fun passes they give you access to the kids clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭10-10-20

We'll be in Les Charmettes from early July also.
    The area is fantastic, easy to cycle, wonderful beaches with waves on the Atlantic front, or more relaxed waves nearer to Royan.
    Ille de Re and La Rochelle are recommended sights to see. Visit Cognac (Martel, Hennessey...) and the local Pineau suppliers.
    Horse/pony riding is available in the area too. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Thanks so much.

For mounting the bikes, try the 5yo bike upside down, prongs of the bike rack through the wheels rather than the frame for an adult bike. The 3yo will probably just need to be strapped / bungeed on top of adult bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Thanks so much.
    Do you have tow bar on the car? Much handier and more secure than the strap ones. The better ones tilt too so you can still open the boot

I have this one and had no problem fitting a 20" wheel kids bike. Assume the 3year olds bike is a 14" wheel I reckon it would still fit. I'll try and get time to check tomorrow.

This one looks good but I like the wheel supprt racks rather than hanging of frame. Like the built in lighting board for the number plate. You'll need a lighting board for any bikerack you use, French police there are much stricter.

Bar's on this one are closer together than most. You probably won't get it both bars through the frame, one will though and put the other through the rear wheel triangle.

• Advertisement

yellow76 wrote: »

Hi,
    Went to les charmettes for the last five years, but going South of France this year.

Kids club are covered by the fun pass and swim trunks are ok, ie shorts etc.
    Plenty to do with the kids, a zoo down the road, pony rides next door to the campsite, nice village down the road for food, aquarium in la Rochelle. Amazing beach in Marennes and ideal for your kids age. Ziplines in the forest up the road also. PM if you want

10-10-20 wrote: »
    We'll be in Les Charmettes from early July also.
    The area is fantastic, easy to cycle, wonderful beaches with waves on the Atlantic front, or more relaxed waves nearer to Royan.
    Ille de Re and La Rochelle are recommended sights to see. Visit Cognac (Martel, Hennessey...) and the local Pineau suppliers.
    Horse/pony riding is available in the area too. Enjoy.

Marennes beach is lovely with no waves. 10 min drive and safer than the beach on the Atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭molly dolly

for young kids I definitely think Le Littoral would be better. It depends on preference. We prefer quieter more rural sites. We just thought Clarys and the immediate area was manic. Though my bigger boys loved it because and I quote;-

* it had lots of Irish boys same age,
    * it showed premiership games
    * it also showed GAA games
    * the take away was nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Hi all, I’ve been a regular contributor to this thread over the last 3 or 4 years but not so much this year as we were going to have a year off, however, as the Summer is getting closer our feet are getting itchier by the day. If we do it though I’m looking to do it on a budget. (Has to be late July). To keep costs down I’m looking to get the boat from Dublin to Holyhead (€400) driving to relatives in the midlands (4 hrs) and staying overnight and then onto Dover the following day, boat from Dover to Calais (€150 ish), approx 3.5 hour drive then down to La Croix du vieux pont just outside Paris for 7 days (approx €1000 for 3 bed with Eurocamp). Back home the same way. Can anybody see any other savings that could be made please?, other than staying in a tent (the wife draws the line at that!) Is there a website where you can hire mobiles privately?. Would this bring the cost down? Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭kindalen

Would flying be an option?

www.skyscanner.ie

The above shows flights to Paris in July for 83 euro return, Rodez at 99 euro. Nice at 136 euro too, and you could probably skip car rental there and use public transport there.

Channel tunnel probably cheaper option to Calais - I was seeing fares for around 80uk during July

Also if you've traveled with Irish ferries last year you can get a "free" Ireland to UK trip - but supplements to be paid during high season. We got over for 140 instead of 360 from what I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi all, I’ve been a regular contributor to this thread over the last 3 or 4 years but not so much this year as we were going to have a year off, however, as the Summer is getting closer our feet are getting itchier by the day. If we do it though I’m looking to do it on a budget. (Has to be late July). To keep costs down I’m looking to get the boat from Dublin to Holyhead (€400) driving to relatives in the midlands (4 hrs) and staying overnight and then onto Dover the following day, boat from Dover to Calais (€150 ish), approx 3.5 hour drive then down to La Croix du vieux pont just outside Paris for 7 days (approx €1000 for 3 bed with Eurocamp). Back home the same way. Can anybody see any other savings that could be made please?, other than staying in a tent (the wife draws the line at that!) Is there a website where you can hire mobiles privately?. Would this bring the cost down? Many thanks

This is a good site to rent direct from owners. https://www.directholidayhomes.co.uk/

Any owner who hasn't been able to rent out their mobile by now should be open to some negotiation on price!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Ninesell

I suggest you look at other operators in La Croix du Vieux Pont as well - Lifestyle Holidays, Canvas, Alfresco and Venue. There may be still some availability direct with the campsite. I think they have apartments.
    There are some chalet owners that advertise late availability or cancellations on the La Croix du Vieux Pont Berny Riviere group Facebook page. The page is good for local info and reviews of the different operators too.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Ninesell

A post for a Chalet with late availability has come up on the above Facebook page.

Week beginning Thursday 26th July €960 (£849 approx)
    Week beginning Saturday 30th June €700 (£619
    approx)
    22 Le Plateau. Chalet in it’s own enclosed garden next to the bakery overlooking the park. Sleeps up to 6 with British freeview Tv, WiFi and Netflix.

I haven’t stayed in a chalet (booked Lifestyle) but they looked nice passing by!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Ninesell wrote: »
    A post for a Chalet with late availability has come up on the above Facebook page.

Week beginning Thursday 26th July €960 (£849 approx)
    Week beginning Saturday 30th June €700 (£619
    approx)
    22 Le Plateau. Chalet in it’s own enclosed garden next to the bakery overlooking the park. Sleeps up to 6 with British freeview Tv, WiFi and Netflix.

I haven’t stayed in a chalet (booked Lifestyle) but they looked nice passing by!

Thank you very much for the tip to join the FB group, I did so earlier today so had seen this property. It looks fab and great value for money. It is about a week later than I was hoping for but may try to do a bit of juggling around. Thanks again!

Advertisement