Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭boccy23

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭molly dolly

If kids are young buy the roofbox. Ours is 8 years old. Much used. Its even a thing that we buy stickers for places we've been to make it more interesting.

Though thanks for the tip, the teen might just fit into ours and make the car trip that bit quieter.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭molly dolly

we prefer doing wine shopping in Roscoff, went home last summer through Cherbourg; saying that we like the red bus stop in Roscoff.

http://www.winebeersupermarket.com/mes_r_typ_s_rayoncherche_Sparkling_tricherche_4.html

not big wine drinkers but do like bubbles and the savings are good in this level.

We do tend to do hypermarket shop while on hols and stock up on french cider, lagers and whatever else will fit in the car. Never ever had any hastle with customs. Though a french customs officer two years ago asked what was in the boxes and I was like yikes if they see what alchol is in the car they'll take the kids off us!!! I replied and he said is it french . . . to which dh replied but of course and he said well thats fine which is probably as close to humour we've ever gotten from a french official.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Geog1234

Dummy wrote: »

Do any other ferry companies land in Cherbourg?

Stena Line sail from Rosslare to Cherbourg year-round.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

boccy23 wrote: »
    That's not true. EU Limits are for personal use and is 90 litres for Wine and 60 litres for Sparkling wine.

They do random stops but do not overly enforce as far as I have seen.

Sorry, but Fred is correct. You can bring back a van full of wine if you can justify it is for personal use.

The limits you mention are the general "limit" of what is deemed to be reasonable for personal use. If you can show you have a reason for more, like a wedding of your twin daughters and 1000 guests, then that is a reason. One of the reality shows, border force I think, had this issue highlighed. A guy had a large van full of wine and claimed he had a marque in the back garden for his daughters wedding. He came unstuck when it was found he lived in a small terrace house.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

boccy23 wrote: »
    Not according to Citizens advice and what I have seen.

I've been stopped randomly and asked about my wine and they have no issue once I explain it's for personal consumption. I have receipts for what I buy in France, which is usual bought over the period of a few weeks in a number of different vineyards.
    That was roughly 300L between two of us.

Read Citizens Advice correctly.

You will not be charged any extra duty or VAT on purchases where the duty and VAT has been paid (for example, goods bought in shops, supermarkets, etc.) in another EU country, provided the goods are for your personal use.

If your purchases are equivalent to or less than the quantities set out in the table below, they will usually be regarded as being for your personal use. If you exceed these quantities, you may have to demonstrate at Customs that the goods are for your personal use.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭wall

So, what does for personal use mean to customs? Does it mean that just yourself and your partner are going to drink it, or is having a big party and giving it to loads of other people considered "for personal use"?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Does anyone know where you could rent a roof box? Travelling with two smallies & feel we might need the extra space

Saw this on adverts.. as long as ur not brand snobby :-)

http://www.adverts.ie/15326031

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Peckham

I'm shortly buying a roofbox. Have previously borrowed from another family member, but our holidays overlap this year so need to sort myself out.

No indoor storage where it will fit. Was going to stash it behind shed during winter. Possibly covered in tarp. Does anyone else do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,943 ✭✭✭✭josip

We store it in my brother's garage attic down the country.
    Since we only use it during the summer, we collect it on our last trip before we head off and leave it back first trip after we return.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Could you hang it up in the shed roof?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Could you hang it up in the shed roof?

My one lives up there in my dads garage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Peckham wrote: »
    No indoor storage where it will fit. Was going to stash it behind shed during winter. Possibly covered in tarp. Does anyone else do this?

I have mine located between a dog kennel and the back wall of my house but no tarp etc. It does get a bit dirty over the winter but I've been storing it there for 6-7 years and prior to its one use per annum I just take it out, wash it inside and out, give it a good lash with the power hose and leave it to dry for a day or two before using it. Looks more or less as new afterwards.

Always forget where I've put the keys for it each year mind which reminds me...................:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

webpal wrote: »
    I don't think you can, try this discount code for eurocamp: 18RISC04

Save up to 55% on your 2018 Eurocamp Holiday

Nights On Parc: % Discount:

01 April - 25 May | 55%

26 May - 29 June |50%

30 Jun - 20 July | 35%

21 July - 30 Aug |25%

31 Aug onwards | 35%

The discounts apply per night to the accommodation base price and supplements based on the total holiday duration within the relevant date bands. The offer is subject to availability and a minimum duration of 3 nights with a maximum duration of 21 nights. The offer is only applicable to new 2018 bookings and cannot be applied retrospectively to an existing reservation. The offer is subject to the booking terms and conditions as stated in the 2018 Eurocamp brochure and cannot be combined with any other Eurocamp offer or discount. The offer is subject to availability.

The offer applies to Classic and Safari Tents, Classic, Esprit, Espace and Vista mobile homes only. All other accommodation types are excluded.

All parcs are included except: CD011, CD012, CD013, CD019, HL012, IA022, IL019, IS018, RV015, VN011, VS011, WM017, WM020, WM032. Selected parcs may be excluded at any time.

The offer is only valid for bookings made between 21st February 2018 and 18th April 2018. The offer cannot be redeemed through travel agents.

All, just to let you know this is still valid. Worked a treat for me this week on a booking to La Croix du Vieux Pont

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

MorganIRL wrote: »
    Saw this on adverts.. as long as ur not brand snobby :-)

http://www.adverts.ie/15326031

Thanks, I think I've convinced myself in general again; there's a good few up on adverts actually; will keep an eye out there.
    I think I'm going to buy bars, and hopefully borrow a box for this year to see how I get on. I was offered a lend a while back, but have to see if it actually materialises once I have the bars.
    Hopefully that will let me know how useful it is, and also what size I could do with etc.
    For storage, I'm now thinking I can get away with storing in my parents' or in-law's much bigger sheds/houses or behind our little wooden shed (probably wrapped in some way) if we need to.

Trip is getting close now, I better go buy those bars :D
    19 days to go!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

If kids are young buy the roofbox. Ours is 8 years old. Much used. Its even a thing that we buy stickers for places we've been to make it more interesting.

Though thanks for the tip, the teen might just fit into ours and make the car trip that bit quieter.

They are quite young, eldest is 3. This is our first holiday to France so not sure to take the plunge and buy one now or wait & see if we want to repeat the experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

wall wrote: »
    So, what does for personal use mean to customs?

For me it was for myself and family to drink. I didn't have massive amounts of the same wine. More like cases of different wines that I tried and liked and bibs that I intended to bottle myself as decent table wine. I didn't even have to explain it that much to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

CheerLouth wrote: »
    They are quite young, eldest is 3. This is our first holiday to France so not sure to take the plunge and buy one now or wait & see if we want to repeat the experience!

Get the roof box, you will need it if your bringing the buggy. Once you go to France you will do it again:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Cucumber1

+1
    We are off to France 8th time, before kids and after.
    Have a friend who always repeats 'never took kids abroad until they were 6'
    Had we followed this advice... we would have missed out on 5 best hols ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

Peckham wrote: »
    I'm shortly buying a roofbox. Have previously borrowed from another family member, but our holidays overlap this year so need to sort myself out.

I left my halfords one out for two winters - no problem except for spiders and snails. My brother has his on his car for a few years and it is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

AlanG wrote: »
    I left my halfords one out for two winters - no problem except for spiders and snails. My brother has his on his car for a few years and it is fine.

He leaves it on the car the whole time? If so it's going to become a very expensive roof box. Roof box + extra fuel used pushing a great big block through the air permanently = €€€'S.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Effects wrote: »
    wall wrote: »
    So, what does for personal use mean to customs?

For me it was for myself and family to drink. I didn't have massive amounts of the same wine. More like cases of different wines that I tried and liked and bibs that I intended to bottle myself as decent table wine. I didn't even have to explain it that much to them.
    A car load is fine - a van load might raise some questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

First Up wrote: »
    A car load is fine - a van load might raise some questions.

Last time I was there the car beside me were dumping clothes and stuff out of the roofbox so they could fit more in, they were even putting it in the rear foot wells leaving the kids with nowhere to sit properly. Cheap booze really changes people 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I once left all my clothes in Changi airport, rather than leave bottles of Cloudy Bay behind.
    Fairly strict on weight limits on Singapore Air.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    I once left all my clothes in Changi airport, rather than leave bottles of Cloudy Bay behind.
    Fairly strict on weight limits on Singapore Air.
    If you cut off a leg you could have brought even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Coincidentally just as we were talking about it.

http://jrnl.ie/4009006

• Advertisement

Advertisement