Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

First Up wrote: »
    What does "up to no good" mean?

Everything illegal e.g. exporting contraband cigarettes, prohibited/protected exotic animals (crate load of baby crocodiles discovered in an airport last week IIRC), drugs, laundered money, explosive material, counterfeit goods etc etc.
    And checking wine receipts helps that how exactly?

Why not just look in the car/van?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

Toots wrote: »
    Guys, are the IRL bumper stickers still required for bringing the car to France or is the little symbol with the EU flag on the reg plate sufficient?

Definitely need a big irl sticker , especially if you have a roof box.
    Its not because of the laws or anything but I definitely have to have one :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

And checking wine receipts helps that how exactly?

Why not just look in the car/van?

This is getting off topic so last post on the matter.

Checking for receipts provides a quick and less intrusive way for the officer to satisfy her/himself that what appear to be X number of boxes of wine are in fact X number of boxes of wine.

Detailed receipt stating 4 X blah blah white wine and 4 X blah blah red wine allows him/her to check against branding on the boxes and the seal on the boxes and be sufficiently confident the contents are as described. It's quick, less intrusive and allows the officer to check more vehicles than opening all the boxes to do a physical check. Its basic sampling and is just one small component of the risk assessment being carried out.

If anyone doesn't like the idea of producing receipts then should you be asked for same decline to provide them and enjoy the delay and frustration of having your stuff pulled out for a physical inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Posts were deleted by me.

Please read our forum charter before posting.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerd4

I rememmber reading something somewhere that the receipts can be checked to make sure local sales taxes have been applied.  Cant find it now but remember something about it and also the bottles have a sticker on them indicating this aswell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

Correct. Anything bought with tax paid has a green seal over the cork. Receipts add nothing to that.

It can be tempting to buy in bulk (e.g. 20 liter containers) direct from vineyards and bottle it yourself. This is a VERY cheap way to get good wine but such purchases are not tax paid and are liable to be nabbed on arrival in Ireland.

But that is a matter for Irish customs, not French. I have never seen the French customs show the slightest interest in what people take with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Eurocamp 2019 on Sale now. Significant increase in Prices compared to what we paid in 2017 even with Early Booking & Loyalty Discounts etc. Will be looking at other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Eurocamp 2019 on Sale now. Significant increase in Prices compared to what we paid in 2017 even with Early Booking & Loyalty Discounts etc. Will be looking at other options.

TBH I've found Eurocamp to be lacking in terms of value for money. I got an email from lifestyle this morning to let me know that they'll be opening up the 2019 bookings shortly. It'll be interesting to see how they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

TBH I've found Eurocamp to be lacking in terms of value for money. I got an email from lifestyle this morning to let me know that they'll be opening up the 2019 bookings shortly. It'll be interesting to see how they go.

We had previously done ok with Eurocamp with booking early and Discounts etc but phoned them there now and there is no wiggle room (previously would have been) as dictated by Head Office in UK.

We are unfortunately not flexible with Dates due to my Husband's work.

Have you used Lifestyle before ? Must have a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Am looking into breakdown cover, and noticed my insurance policy is up for renewal, anyone know of an insurer who provide EU wide breakdown cover? It might be cheaper if I can find this, rather than getting a separate policy.

We had previously done ok with Eurocamp with booking early and Discounts etc but phoned them there now and there is no wiggle room (previously would have been) as dictated by Head Office in UK.

We are unfortunately not flexible with Dates due to my Husband's work.

Have you used Lifestyle before ? Must have a look.

yeah, this year is our 3rd time booking with them, the really nice thing about lifestyle is that you can pick exactly what pitch on the park you want for a small fee. we found a nice one last year not too far to walk to the pool and playgrounds, but secluded enough that noise from the disco isn't an issue, and we've taken it again for this summers trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerd4

Staplor wrote: »
    Am looking into breakdown cover, and noticed my insurance policy is up for renewal, anyone know of an insurer who provide EU wide breakdown cover? It might be cheaper if I can find this, rather than getting a separate policy.

Check back to around page 222, this was discussed by myself there

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭SCOL

I've never gone on a family holiday ( married 14 years ) herself want to go this year !!!

Can anyone recommend a camp site etc for a week about 2nd or 3rd week in August and appx how much would it cost
    for 2 Adults and 4 kids ( set of twins 1800 months old )

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Ninesell

Do you want to fly or take the ferry?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭kindalen

For a week I would fly, or if you want to get a ferry then I would go to Wales or south western England.

Car is very handy with young kids, but be aware that ferry and driving can take up the guts of 2 days each way.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭raxy

SCOL wrote: »
    I've never gone on a family holiday ( married 14 years ) herself want to go this year !!!

Can anyone recommend a camp site etc for a week about 2nd or 3rd week in August and appx how much would it cost
    for 2 Adults and 4 kids ( set of twins 1800 months old )

1800 months is quite old.i usually count in years after 12 months. I'm taking a 2 month & a 5 yr old.
    I'm going to les Vikings campsite leaving today. It's about 40 minutes from cherborg. If youth are getting the ferry & only going for a week I wouldn't want too much driving at the other end. Looks good on the website atleast & was one of the more affordable that we looked at.
    TBH as long as it has a nice pool/playground for the kids you can't go wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

6 months old passport arrived last Friday thank goodness, we hadn't slept in over a week with worry, so no child smuggling required.

Heading out in the Connemara tonight for a week in Domaine de Kerlann, then onto Les ormes for the second week finishing up with the third week in Les Mouettes.

We've been to the last two but always like to try a new site this year so that's De Kerlann this time around.

With all the passport stress and tooing and froeing to politicians & embassies I didn't have much time to research the Pont Aven region so for anyone who has been could you recommend and must see sights or any tips for the campsite.

Thanks.

6 months old passport arrived last Friday thank goodness, we hadn't slept in over a week with worry, so no child smuggling required.

Heading out in the Connemara tonight for a week in Domaine de Kerlann, then onto Les ormes for the second week finishing up with the third week in Les Mouettes.

We've been to the last two but always like to try a new site this year so that's De Kerlann this time around.

With all the passport stress and tooing and froeing to politicians & embassies I didn't have much time to research the Pont Aven region so for anyone who has been could you recommend and must see sights or any tips for the campsite.

Thanks.

Domaine De Kerlann was our first french campsite, Its a pretty laid back affair with a good bit more space around the mobile homes in comparison to other sites I've been to. If you get the weather, you'll be laughing. Its a nice bit out from the nearest town though (pont aven). For stocking up on food, I'd recommend driving a little further to Quimperle for an E leclerc and a LIDL, its about 20 mins away.

Also be sure and head up the coast to the walled in town of Concarnea - well worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭SCOL

kindalen wrote: »
    For a week I would fly, or if you want to get a ferry then I would go to Wales or south western England.

Car is very handy with young kids, but be aware that ferry and driving can take up the guts of 2 days each way.

Good point probably fly and maybe rent a car if needed for a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Domaine De Kerlann was our first french campsite, Its a pretty laid back affair with a good bit more space around the mobile homes in comparison to other sites I've been to. If you get the weather, you'll be laughing. Its a nice bit out from the nearest town though (pont aven). For stocking up on food, I'd recommend driving a little further to Quimperle for an E leclerc and a LIDL, its about 20 mins away.

Also be sure and head up the coast to the walled in town of Concarnea - well worth checking out.

Thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Mickyjoek

Took a break from France this year but booked over the weekend our 2019 trip to Aloha with Eurocamp, Had to be done!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭pmpa

Thanks.
    We were in Kerlann a few years ago. The area is beautiful, Pont Aven is a lovely town. There was a maze just up the road from the camp made out of corn, my kids loved it. I second that you have to visit Concarneau, we went 3 or 4 times. The walled in town is amazing.
    The pool was very good in the camp. I'm trying to think of anything else we did on that holiday, if I remember anything I will get back to you.
    Have a great holiday!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭HuntingDrog

Heading to La Garangeoire next week for the 1st time. We can't wait.

If anyone has been that could recommend somewhere to do the big grocery shop, I'd appreciate it? tks

If anyone has been that could recommend somewhere to do the big grocery shop, I'd appreciate it? tks

Just remember that many French super/hypermarkets are closed on Sundays, or open Sunday mornings only.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 stevo_

I think I remember the closest being a Super U and Lidl in La Mothe-Achard, which is about 15 mins away.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

stevo_ wrote: »
    I think I remember the closest being a Super U and Lidl in La Mothe-Achard, which is about 15 mins away.

there's also a huge Leclerc in Olonne s/Mer (and a Decathlon!)

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭HuntingDrog

Just remember that many French super/hypermarkets are closed on Sundays, or open Sunday mornings only.

That's a really good point to consider given that we will, after all, be arriving at the site on the Sunday. tks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

That's a really good point to consider given that we will, after all, be arriving at the site on the Sunday. tks a mill

the onsite shop should be open - they have bread and wine, what more do you want :)

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    the onsite shop should be open - they have bread and wine, what more do you want :)

Ah, the on site shops, or as we call it the €50 store, as it seems that whether you buy a cornetto or a basket of groceries, you're always going to spend at least €50.

Advertisement