Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭aquarius10

I can’t find any thread suitable so please move this if it’s not suited to this thread.
    We want to take a break from the ferry and Looking at Park Albatros in Italy for our next holiday but I don’t know who to book with ? Who has the nicest caravans in Italy ?
    Do we need to book a year in advance for Italy or is it ok to wait till September?

We have booked previously with Eurocamp who are ok but their caravans are dated and the new ones are rip off but saw Roan caravans on previous holidays and they looked lovely and newer than Eurocamp ?

Vacansoleil also have caravans on site ... are they new or how good are they ?

The kids who are 6 & 7 are not pushed about kids clubs.

If anyone has any advice on which operator has nicest caravans for decent price please reply

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

First Up wrote: »
    Anyone any helpful advice on the Holyhead - Portsmouth and / or Cherbourg - Le Clary's Plage drive? Heading in about 5 weeks.
    Allow plenty of time for the Holyhead - Portsmouth section and stay away from the M25.
    Its a pretty horrible drive, even if you don't get caught in a motorway jam (of which there are many). The route is a toss up between the slow but scenic route through Snowdonia to Shtewsbury or pressurised driving on the motorways. The latter route is technically quicker but no fun at all and you have to get around Birmingham either way. I'd allow 8 hours, to cover possible delays and at least one stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭feedthegoat

Its a pretty horrible drive, even if you don't get caught in a motorway jam (of which there are many). The route is a toss up between the slow but scenic route through Snowdonia to Shtewsbury or pressurised driving on the motorways. The latter route is technically quicker but no fun at all and you have to get around Birmingham either way. I'd allow 8 hours, to cover possible delays and at least one stop.

Thanks for that, sounds terrible, thought I would get down in 6 hours, have an overnight in Portsmouth so won't miss connecting ferry.

Thanks for that, sounds terrible, thought I would get down in 6 hours, have an overnight in Portsmouth so won't miss connecting ferry.
    You might do it in 6 hours if you drive non stop and have no traffic delays but I wouldn't gamble the holiday on that. An overnight stop somewhere is very wise.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Moved from Nutrition and diet forum

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭LaLa2004

Re: Castel Montgri near Estartit:
    This is a lovely campsite. There are 3 pools which are v different to each other. The main pool is huge. The campsite is set on a hill so you will get a good workout.
    The coastline in this area is very scenic. A boat trip is recommended. Pals is a very pretty nearby town. I visited in the evening, when things cooled down a little.
    I had access to a car so I'm not sure about transfers. The car was handy for sightseeing and shopping in the local supermarkets like Lidl.
    The evening entertainment at the middle pool was of a very high standard.
    I'm a bit jealous! Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭crunchie1

Hi, has anyone been to this camp? Any advice? Also going the last week in June any indication of weather on previous experiences..
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭molly dolly

re local supermarket on arrival - we personally wouldn't - I love french supermarkets but you could easily suck an hour up. Always good to get on the road quickly (always pay for speedy disembark) and get the back broken on the journey particularly if its over 5 hours. I always pack the bones of a lunch in a cooler bag the morning of departure. Ice packs and frozen caprisuns in the bag keep everything cool. On IF the cars are below deck so its not overly warm. I'd have ham, salads, butter, popcorn, crisps, drink bottles etc. All I need to buy in a service station is a large roll, coffee and if the drive has been murder free ice cream. The french are kings of picnics so there are always outdoor tables etc to work from.

For the Ferry breakfast the boys don't like the IF breakfast quality, so I tend to book 4* which has a fridge. Have the bones of breakfast ready, cooked sausages, rashers, fun size ceral, milk and juices and use the microwave meant for baby food in the cavery menu.

I know it seems a bit extreme but with 3 boys (2 teens) the costs to eat do add up and I'd rather save the €100+ for the actual holiday so its something to bear in mind for family groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

re local supermarket on arrival - we personally wouldn't - I love french supermarkets but you could easily suck an hour up. Always good to get on the road quickly (always pay for speedy disembark) and get the back broken on the journey particularly if its over 5 hours. I always pack the bones of a lunch in a cooler bag the morning of departure. Ice packs and frozen caprisuns in the bag keep everything cool. On IF the cars are below deck so its not overly warm. I'd have ham, salads, butter, popcorn, crisps, drink bottles etc. All I need to buy in a service station is a large roll, coffee and if the drive has been murder free ice cream. The french are kings of picnics so there are always outdoor tables etc to work from.

For the Ferry breakfast the boys don't like the IF breakfast quality, so I tend to book 4* which has a fridge. Have the bones of breakfast ready, cooked sausages, rashers, fun size ceral, milk and juices and use the microwave meant for baby food in the cavery menu.

I know it seems a bit extreme but with 3 boys (2 teens) the costs to eat do add up and I'd rather save the €100+ for the actual holiday so its something to bear in mind for family groups.

Same modus operandi as myself. Get on, get off and get motoring!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerd4

Always wondered if it was worth paying the speedy exit charge.  My car scrapes on the ramp of the Oscar Wilde at the top of the ramp (regardless of load) so I emailed and asked to go on the lower deck which to be fair they have said no problem although on the day I may end up up the ramp.  Is there any diference on the speedy exit ie do they park you in a diferent area on the lower deck?

• Advertisement

Roscoff related question, we have previously sailed out of Cherbourg and bought wine there.  Can anyone recommend a decent place to stock up on wine for the journey home?  We are staying over night about 20 minutes from Roscoff so I have plenty of time before the 6pm sailing to pull in and do some shopping

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Newonhere

With speedy exit you are sited right at the front of deck 3.
    I had it on my way to Cherbourg a couple of weeks ago and I was the first vehicle off the boat.
    There were about 12 cars on the speedy exit I think and they were off the boat straight away.
    Behind the speedy exit cars were the caravans and motorhomes along with the motor bikes.

Thanks for that, I think I might book it for the journey over as we have a big journey on the first day.
    Anyone stayed with Siblu and pay the cleaning fee?  Last year we thought we had the place spotless but the guy freaked us out inspecting it and finding tiny issues, whilst we are a clean family and wouldnt leave the place anyway messy, does the cleaning fee literally mean they will take care of it what ever the state?

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭sdevine89

This will be my first time on the boat but from what has been said here I think I'll pay the extra for the speedy exit now.
    mikerd4 wrote:
    My car scrapes on the ramp of the Oscar Wilde at the top of the ramp (regardless of load)

This is very worrying?

mikerd4 wrote: »
    Roscoff related question, we have previously sailed out of Cherbourg and bought wine there.  Can anyone recommend a decent place to stock up on wine for the journey home?  We are staying over night about 20 minutes from Roscoff so I have plenty of time before the 6pm sailing to pull in and do some shopping

There's a few places close to the port. My preference would be the Wine Centre ("La Cave".) Some people swear by the place with the big London bus out front but that's too booze cruisey for my taste. I generally prefer to buy where the French do. If you are close to or passing Morlaix you could look into Le Clerc or Intermarché. If you don't like what you see, you'll pass a few places on the way into Roscoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭seanin4711

rosslare - roscoff

carnac Yelloh! Village L'Océan Breton 19th-25th August (217kms from roscoff circa 2hrs)
    carantec Yelloh! Village Les Mouettes 26-31st Aug (18km from ferry for quick exit)

main thing that i dread is a long drive to ferry on homeward leg.

back on the boat before anyones the wiser!
    been to yelloh village originally north brittany Perros guirec
    and vendee ,Le littoral and very happy with their setup.
    went with the sites with the biggest waterslides as a reference!(kids criteria)

anyone been to either?
    thanks
    John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

mikerd4 wrote: »

Wine Beer Supermarket. WBS. Big maroon place, beside the port. They're good for giving a cup of coffee in the mornings too, when you're just off the boat. They've a website for doing research.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭molly dolly

We were heading to Dordogne, 10 hours down. Disembarkment that year took us 90 mins. Really made it a long day as it was a flashpoint with kids squabbling as they were hyper to get off. Always paid for speedy after. Also means no delays or quing at passport control. I love the Wine Beer shop. Though ds2 once wanted to know why were we stopping at the win beer shop. There are probably better quality or better value spots ut it has a nice variety but its never let me down. We have fhc and confirmation next year so always stock up. They also have a website if you want to research it.

sdevine89 wrote: »
    This will be my first time on the boat but from what has been said here I think I'll pay the extra for the speedy exit now.

This is very worrying?

My car is fairly long wheel to wheel and low so it catches slightly. Nothing major or visible without looking under the car but still i dont want to do it again.
    Think ill pay the speedy exit charge to be sure....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Anybody been on the Oscar Wilde rosslare to roscoff recently? Curious to know what movies they have on board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

When will the WB Yeats be running do we know? I've OW booked outwards but nothing booked back yet. late July maybe? Preferably Cherbourg. Thanks

Drumpot wrote: »
    Anybody been on the Oscar Wilde rosslare to roscoff recently? Curious to know what movies they have on board.
    Here's a radical idea; call them and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Heading away on Saturday. Never remember the weather being this good before we left ! La Paradis here we come

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Here's a radical idea; call them and ask.

Ha, I never even thought of it!!! that is exactly what I will do... Thanking you !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

juneg wrote: »
    When will the WB Yeats be running do we know? I've OW booked outwards but nothing booked back yet. late July maybe? Preferably Cherbourg. Thanks

Last information I received was the first sailing out is scheduled for 30th July. I rang them on Friday to confirm our Aug sailing was safe before paying off the balance of the campsite.

juneg wrote: »

The Booking section of their website shows what ships are doing each sailing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Last information I received was the first sailing out is scheduled for 30th July. I rang them on Friday to confirm our Aug sailing was safe before paying off the balance of the campsite.

No wonder IF is so heavily booked coming back in that case. Might be the year for the tunnel. I hope to be up that way

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

not sure the search is working properly as i am sure this is covered here somewhere,
    is damage wavier worth it? costing 20 sterling for me per site, can not remember if i paid it last year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭Icsics

Great advice there Molly. Speedy Exit is crucial when travelling with kids, it’s the reason we changed from Brittany Ferries. We also feeeze the milk before traveling, so nice cool milk 4 breakfast & on arrival! Red Bus is great to stock up & if u order online it’ll be ready 4 collection & they give u a little discount (also good toilet stop!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Is Red Cash wine store still operating ?

Advertisement