Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭martco

looking for suggestions please...

I have a spare 3 days at the end of a campervan trip in France to fill

Lille is the dropoff depot for the van so I figure it might be an idea to take a look in/around Belgium & Hauts de France area which I've no experience of to date

Me + 3 teenagers (17-20)

was thinking Dunkirk, Bruges, Antwerp maybe some WW1/WW2 sightseeing though I don't want it to just be a history lesson

all ideas welcome, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

Hi, not going to go abroad this summer so amusing myself at the moment with thoughts of Summer 19. Haven't travelled by ferry before so not familiar with the booking process. How far in advance do bookings become available and for the seasoned travellers, when is the optimal time in terms of booking. Would be looking at mid/late June next year. Family of 5 with car and trailer so from playing around on ferry websites I know it can be quite expensive with cabins if left late.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Peckham

I've always booked at Christmas time for travel at end of June. Irish Ferries typically have a €100 discount offer at that time.

Never had a problem with availability at that stage. Always get the sailings and cabins that I want. Family of 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Arrived around 4 to Camping La Paradis near Sarlat. 850 km drive, but Christ is is worth it. If Carlsberg did campsites....!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Carb wrote: »
    Hi, not going to go abroad this summer so amusing myself at the moment with thoughts of Summer 19. Haven't travelled by ferry before so not familiar with the booking process. How far in advance do bookings become available and for the seasoned travellers, when is the optimal time in terms of booking. Would be looking at mid/late June next year. Family of 5 with car and trailer so from playing around on ferry websites I know it can be quite expensive with cabins if left late.

I was in ur shoes this year where i watched prices over the last 2 years to see was there discounts given on ferry or campsites. Also watching and reading the forum here for discounts. We booked last Nov for June this yr. Heading in 10 days for 10days.. booked direct with site and availed of the €100 discount with IF. There has being no discounts since on either so the only benefit was we knew what the cost was and cud save for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

There is plenty to see in the area.

Boulogne-sur-Mer has a great aquarium called Nausicaa https://www.nausicaa.co.uk/

Dunkirk's museum is very good and so is the Atlantic Wall (bunkers and trenches) in Ostend (Belgian coast) https://www.raversyde.be/en/history

The Belgian coast has a tram running its entire lenght from De Panne (close to Dunkirk) to Knokke (close to the Dutch border) https://www.delijn.be/en/kusttram/

Bruges is also very close to the Dutch border; Sluis (in Zeeland) is an interesting little town with a windmill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

I'd go to Ghent instead of Antwerp.

Lille itself has a lovely city centre that's well worth visiting...

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭molly dolly

Arrived around 4 to Camping La Paradis near Sarlat. 850 km drive, but Christ is is worth it. If Carlsberg did campsites....!

Sarlat is lovely. The Dordogne is both of our favourite destination in france. So much to do. Bet the weather is fab too.

I booked for August this year last Sept. IF sent me a discount code when we got home and I had a loyalty bonus too. Was wel worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭molly dolly

Thinking of extending stay in France, staying in Le Clary Place, any idea of a nice site further south - perhaps around Bordeaux?
    Domaine De La Rive is one on my radar - but it looks quiet french.

St Avit Loisirs is fab. Been there twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭wall

webpal wrote: »
    That's very reasonable, we paid €12 a night last year

Mickyjoek & Webpal,
    Any recommendations for Aloha? We're flying into Toulouse, the flight times were so much better to & from there compared to any where else.
    Going in less than 2 weeks, hopefully the weather here gets crap again before we go, its lovely here in the sun but its lovely here leaving when its grey & wet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭webpal

wall wrote: »
    Mickyjoek & Webpal,
    Any recommendations for Aloha? We're flying into Toulouse, the flight times were so much better to & from there compared to any where else.
    Going in less than 2 weeks, hopefully the weather here gets crap again before we go, its lovely here in the sun but its lovely here leaving when its grey & wet.

Sorry if I've caused confusion but I've never stayed at aloha, I was just saying how much we paid for the bbq last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

olearydc wrote: »
    Hi all

Wondering if any of you folks going to France have breakdown cover
    We have normal breakdown cover but thinking do we need it for the 2 weeks. I had called the AA who we are members of but they wanted 117 Euros extra which I thought was a bit steep (car is 5 years old, solid so far)
    Who has used what before as I may go with someone else if a bit cheaper

Thanks

just get it from Irish Ferries as an add on to your booking (assuming you're travelling with IF). It may not cover every eventuality the AA policy does but insurance is always a trade-off to some extent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Thanks to everyone here for all the information. We’re on day three in La Grande Metairie and I’m loving it. Beds aren’t the most comfortable and the toilet is minuscule in the Eurocamp l’espace mobile home but the set up is great. We’re lucky to be up near the pool and kids club and our three year old is enjoying himself. I normally get eaten alive particularly in pregnancy but only have one bite so far which is great. Looking forward to heading down into Carnac today

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭HuntingDrog

Folks, arrived down in La Garangeoire yesterday and I know I’ll have to fill up on diesel before I make the journey home. What is the the product I should be Looking for in the service stations as I didnt see diesel on the signs when I was traveling down. Might seem a stupid question but am worried.....Tks

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

Folks, arrived down in La Garangeoire yesterday and I know I’ll have to fill up on diesel before I make the journey home. What is the the product I should be Looking for in the service stations as I didnt see diesel on the signs when I was traveling down. Might seem a stupid question but am worried.....Tks

It's either called Gazole or just Diesel like here. Petrol is essence or super.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

"Gazole" = "Diesel"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭kindalen

The pump handles are colour coded. Diesel is yellow/black, unleaded green. Supermarket stations tend to be a good bit cheaper than motorway stations.
    "DIESEL" is common throughout Europe these days but many pumps in France are still marked "GASOIL" or "GAZOLE".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,943 ✭✭✭✭josip

kindalen wrote: »
    Supermarket stations tend to be a good bit cheaper than motorway stations.

This.

If you can possibly avoid it, don't refuel at motorway stops.
    If you do have to; you should consider a splash and dash to get you to your next off-motorway stop.
    OT, but under no circumstances should you refuel at the BP station on the A11 in Austria just before the Karawanken tunnel, where instead of a 10-15% premium, they charge a 60 f***g % premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭gamblor101

Peckham wrote: »
    Anyone have a number I can ring to join ADAC? Website is a bit messy as it's looking for German postcodes, phone numbers etc.

The number I found online (00 49 89 76766632) is ringing out.
    kindalen wrote: »
    I rang ADAC today and was told they are no longer selling policies outside Germany. Went with AXA, link below.

https://oqs.rescue24.com/quickquote.aspx?id=986f1e79-06aa-43a0-a0d5-f54791c62f71

Pretty sure ADAC are still accepting non-German memberships online. This link has all the options in english.

https://www.adac.de/mitgliedschaft/adac-membership/

Vaguely remember someone else saying a long time ago they don't do it over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

4 sleeps to go!

• Advertisement

4 sleeps to go!

Same here.

You flying again this year SD4E?

yup, flying dublin to perpignan, we'll only be 30 minutes from the campsite on arrival, possibly our quickest transition ever. Early morning flight (5.55am) too so we get the benefit of a full first day as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Are you going to La Sirene again?
    If you are and wouldn't mind reporting back on any mosquito problems as the other half is obsessed with reports of a new breed of mosquito in South West France.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,943 ✭✭✭✭josip

gamblor101 wrote: »
    Pretty sure ADAC are still accepting non-German memberships online. This link has all the options in english.

https://www.adac.de/mitgliedschaft/adac-membership/

Vaguely remember someone else saying a long time ago they don't do it over the phone.

I followed your link but it looks like the only way of paying is via direct debit from a German bank account?

5NGN5xl.png

talla wrote: »
    If you are and wouldn't mind reporting back on any mosquito problems as the other half is obsessed with reports of a new breed of mosquito in South West France.

yeah back again, I haven't heard of anything like that tbh. That being said, last year herself got a good few bites, but myself and the kids were unaffected, similar situation for another family we met over. I'm doubting that they were mosquito bites in that regard - could likely be some other sort of tick or something.

josip wrote: »
    I followed your link but it looks like the only way of paying is via direct debit from a German bank account?

5NGN5xl.png

I pay by DD from my regular Irish bank account.

They may have changed their policy or that language may just mean you need "a" bank account. With SEPA etc it's actually easier now to do intra country bank payments so it might be worth giving it a go to see if it'll accept your Irish IBAN and BIC details.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

talla wrote: »

Google Tiger Mosquito France

or
    https://anglophone-direct.com/update-tiger-mosquito-in-the-pyrenees-orientales/

Your local Super U or pharmacy will have many repellents, some of which are Tiger Mosquito repellent

k123456 wrote: »
    Google Tiger Mosquito France

or
    https://anglophone-direct.com/update-tiger-mosquito-in-the-pyrenees-orientales/

Your local Super U or pharmacy will have many repellents, some of which are Tiger Mosquito repellent

well, they seem like a right barrel of laughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭sdevine89

Has anybody bought a French Toll Tag before travelling like an EasyPass in Ireland? Will be travelling in August and hoped it might help a bit with traffic and be easier.

I've tried to search the thread without much luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

4 sleeps to go!

We're going to be in La Sirene on the 23rd (flying into Barcelona and driving uo) for a week so there might be some overlap. I'll be following this thread with a close eye next week for any tips you might have

Advertisement