Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭gamblor101

josip wrote: »
    I followed your link but it looks like the only way of paying is via direct debit from a German bank account?

5NGN5xl.png
    I pay by DD from my regular Irish bank account.

They may have changed their policy or that language may just mean you need "a" bank account. With SEPA etc it's actually easier now to do intra country bank payments so it might be worth giving it a go to see if it'll accept your Irish IBAN and BIC details.

Just like Je suis Jean, we pay from an irish bank account but I don't think we have a Direct Debit set up. We get an invoice each year with their bank details and just do an EFT.

Just to note that the memebership selected in your post only covers Germany. You will need the ADAC plus for whole of Europe coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerd4

I have a french toll tag. Its a god send.
    Its from atmb who operate the mont blanc tunnel but works all over the autoroute network. There are others but it was the only one that allows you to pay with a non french account and deliver the tag to a non french address.
    The website is in english until you go to the payment/account set up screen which is in french. Chrome cannot translate as its a payment screen not a regular page.

Its a bit of a hassle but worth it imho. I work with a french girl who helped me and when there was an issue rang the customer service for me luckily

https://www.atmb.com/en

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭gamblor101

sdevine89 wrote: »
    Has anybody bought a French Toll Tag before travelling like an EasyPass in Ireland? Will be travelling in August and hoped it might help a bit with traffic and be easier.

I've tried to search the thread without much luck.

https://www.bipandgo.com/en/abonnement-telepeage-particuliers/?promotion_code=SANEFETE2018&utm_source=sanef&utm_medium=banniere&utm_campaign=Ete2018

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭sdevine89

mikerd4 wrote: »
    I have a french toll tag. Its a god send.
    Its from atmb who operate the mont blanc tunnel but works all over the autoroute network. There are others but it was the only one that allows you to pay with a non french account and deliver the tag to a non french address.
    The website is in english until you go to the payment/account set up screen which is in french. Chrome cannot translate as its a payment screen not a regular page.

Its a bit of a hassle but worth it imho. I work with a french girl who helped me and when there was an issue rang the customer service for me luckily

https://www.atmb.com/en
    gamblor101 wrote: »

Ah, two competitors which is great to compare and contrast. Something which I hadn't thought of till I saw a picture of the tag on the site linked by Mikerd4 but does it fit in the EasyPass/EasyTrip holder? Would be great if it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerd4

Bip and go must be new. When i got the tag 2 years ago atmb where the only ones i could find to ship. Telepeage (bip and go) wouldnt do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

ADAC are no longer accepting new members from outside Germany.
    If you are a current member you are fine but they are not taking any new non-german business.
    The ATMB have a facility where you pay the month after you use the toll.
    I have a couple of discount codes which allows a free pass and 10 credit if anyone wants one you have to pay the commissioning fee , I got the notification after bought mine.
    Delivery is fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭sdevine89

CJhaughey wrote: »
    ADAC are no longer accepting new members from outside Germany.
    If you are a current member you are fine but they are not taking any new non-german business.
    The ATMB have a facility where you pay the month after you use the toll.
    I have a couple of discount codes which allows a free pass and 10 credit if anyone wants one you have to pay the commissioning fee , I got the notification after bought mine.
    Delivery is fast.

A discount code would be fantastic if you could DM it, I would really appreciate it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

finbarrk wrote: »
    Yeah. You can do it online on the Tesco Clubcard webpage. You will need to put in the long code from each individual voucher.

Just googling how to redeem my vouchers and this came up.

I have vouchers in my wifes name and my name. How do we redeem these on line?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭1perriwinkle

Has anyone camped in any campsites in or near the national park in Briere (southern Brittany)? Looking for recommendations - some thing small-ish and rural-ish. We are two adults and 2 teens so kids entertainment is not essential as we'll be out and about most days, but a pool is a must.
    Open to all suggestions - the national park website has got some recommendations, and google has millions, but would love to hear from someone who has stayed anywhere near here/Nantes and their experiences (good/bad/indifferent).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Peckham

For those yet to book. Eurocamp half price sale for accommodation up until 20 July.

Although, would guess that ferry availability may be limited due to the Irish Ferries issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭gaillimh

Hi.
    I'm sure this has been asked before somewhere so apologies if it exists in this thread already but here goes anyway...
    Based on your experiences of campsites - what would you guys consider to be the best ones in the South of France?
    We would be going for 10 days in the last week of September (myself, my wife and our then 20 month old daughter).
    My head is spinning trying to make a decision on one. We have never been to a campsite before so I'm a little green and unsure what the best ones would be.
    It seems there is more availability at the end of September as it's out of peak season.
    Looking at the South of France as the weather is more reliable.
    Thanks very much for any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

gaillimh wrote: »
    Hi.
    I'm sure this has been asked before somewhere so apologies if it exists in this thread already but here goes anyway...
    Based on your experiences of campsites - what would you guys consider to be the best ones in the South of France?
    We would be going for 10 days in the last week of September (myself, my wife and our then 20 month old daughter).
    My head is spinning trying to make a decision on one. We have never been to a campsite before so I'm a little green and unsure what the best ones would be.
    It seems there is more availability at the end of September as it's out of peak season.
    Looking at the South of France as the weather is more reliable.
    Thanks very much for any advice.

Are you planning on flying or driving? what are your own interests in terms of activities (cycling, boating, nature walks etc, evening entertainment)
    With a 10 month old, fancy pools probably wont be a must have, so you have a lot more options that could work compared to me and my two bossy daughters who critique the various pools etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

talla wrote: »
    Are you going to La Sirene again?
    If you are and wouldn't mind reporting back on any mosquito problems as the other half is obsessed with reports of a new breed of mosquito in South West France.
    I'm on my second week at La Sirene and the mosquito issue is no different to last year . I always seem to attract them but we bought the Marie Rose repellent in the local intermarche and I haven't been bitten since. Lots of Irish this year and the lifestyle rep said only for them the site would be dead. Very few GB or Dutch around, world cup may be a factor..

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭gaillimh

Are you planning on flying or driving? what are your own interests in terms of activities (cycling, boating, nature walks etc, evening entertainment)
    With a 10 month old, fancy pools probably wont be a must have, so you have a lot more options that could work compared to me and my two bossy daughters who critique the various pools etc!
    We would fly and hire a car at the airport.
    Really just looking to chill out and relax - no interest in any evening entertainment etc.
    A campsite came into my head as they don't seem to be too expensive to stay for 10 nights in September from what I'm seeing (assuming high season is much more pricey) and there would be some heated pools I could take the little one to.
    But maybe she is too young to get the proper benefit from a campsite?
    We would most likely do a couple of trips during the day to towns of interest in the vicinity.
    I am guessing onsite restaurants are pricey?
    Any recommended sites with nice towns for food close by?
    We were on ile de Re last year. I found French restaurants to be quite expensive. All were closed between 3 and 7pm also which caused us a few headaches :-)
    Thanks for the response.
    Our other option is 10 days in Mallorca but finding that flights and accommodation would work out a fair bit more expensive all things considered.

I'm on my second week at La Sirene and the mosquito issue is no different to last year . I always seem to attract them but we bought the Marie Rose repellent in the local intermarche and I haven't been bitten since. Lots of Irish this year and the lifestyle rep said only for them the site would be dead. Very few GB or Dutch around, world cup may be a factor..

its possibly still a little early too though, we went on the 10th june last year and there was a definite uptick in visitors on the second week. I'm expecting a large Irish contingent this year - I reckon a lot of people will be taking their first holiday in years after the recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Sterling depreciation against the Euro is also a massive factor. Europe has become very expensive for Brits relative to the last 10-15 years.

Sterling depreciation against the Euro is also a massive factor. Europe has become very expensive for Brits relative to the last 10-15 years.

yup, would be interesting to see how many would have voted for brexit if they were made aware that they were going to be curtailed on their trips abroad. Its places that have tonnes of english owned businesses / workers - gap year students doing seasons as reps in ski resorts / campsites that are going to find themselves severely affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

GB kids do not get out of school until mid July so they tend to arrive later in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Just got notification from RTE app, all sailing on WB Yeats for Irish Ferries for the Summer cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭boccy23

Irish Ferries have announced that new WB Yeats will not operate this summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Just read on RTE that Irish Ferries have cancelled all Sailings on the new Ship WB Yeats !!
    Can't link to it at the minute.

major pr disaster there.

to liveline!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

major pr disaster there.

to liveline!
    Pretty disastrous for many peoples's holiday and travel plans is more to the point but yes, an absolute PR disaster too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭kindalen

They are making it worse by refusing their legal obligation to pay overnight expenses that resulted from their poor commercial decisions.

Irish Ferries want the customer to pay for their decision to sell tickets on a boat that they "hoped" would be ready. Worse still they had no plan B.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Some more info on the IF website. Blaming the German shipbuilder but no detail. The ship will start in Sept on the Holyhead run.

6,000 affected. Being offered the Oscar Wilde or landbridge with fuel costs refunded.

First Up wrote: »
    Pretty disastrous for many peoples's holiday and travel plans is more to the point but yes, an absolute PR disaster too.

absolutely agree, my earlier comments were somewhat facetious.

Its an awful situation to find yourself in, a family holiday, right around the corner with a not insubstantial investment of time and money made to same.

Hope everyone affected gets sorted with minimal hassle.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Glad I booked Stena Line out of Rosslare as a backup now.

Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

First Up wrote: »

Yes it must be an absolute headache for all associated with Irish Ferries operations given that all sailings due on the new W.B. Yeats vessel were previously cancelled from July 12 and 29 resulting in huge negative publicity and now with today's latest announcement that sailings due to run from July 30th up to September are also no longer an option. This will be a costly exercise for Irish Ferries as goodwill is bound to be affected. It's unfortunate as the shipbuilding contractors in Germany are largely responsible but this will probably end up in many customers examining all possible options from other operators.

One of Irish Ferries main competitors on the Ireland/France services would be Brittany Ferries which operates services out of the Port of Cork's ferry port at Ringaskiddy, Co. Cork. I think Brittany Ferries had already increased capacity on it's long established Cork - Roscoff route using the vessel "Connemara" which was introduced this season to operate on the brand new Cork to Santander, Spain route. It's flagship cruise vessel the MV Pont-Aven has been hugely popular with customers since around 2004.

Source:
    https://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/irish-ferries-cancels-all-summer-sailings-on-new-wb-yeats-ferry-37002317.html

Anyone get contacted yet?
    We're book mid September :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Anyone get contacted yet?
    We're book mid September :(

Yep...

I am writing to inform you that unfortunately, due to extraordinary circumstances beyond our control, the delivery of the W.B. Yeats has been further delayed by German shipbuilders, FSG. Because of the uncertainty caused by this additional delay, Irish Ferries has no option but to cancel all of the planned sailings to France for W.B. Yeats this Summer, with the ship now likely to commence sailing with Irish Ferries on Dublin / Holyhead as scheduled in September.

We deeply regret that this delay has occurred and we would like to sincerely apologise to you for the inconvenience that it will inevitably cause you.

We would like to assure you that we are doing everything we can to try to minimise the disruption to your travel arrangements. In that regard, we have space on the Oscar Wilde close to your booking date, or you can avail of a land-bridge option (i.e. sailing to the UK from either Dublin or Rosslare and then to France). Should you choose the land-bridge option, we will also reimburse the cost of your fuel requirements from the port of arrival in the UK to the port of arrival in France.

If neither the Oscar Wilde nor the land-bridge option is acceptable, you will, of course, be entitled to a full and immediate refund of all monies paid. As a valued customer of Irish Ferries, we would also like to offer you a €150 electronic voucher which can be used at any time on our Ireland-France routes next year.

We will be in touch with you shortly to discuss which schedule change option will suit you best. In the meantime, if you have a query, please contact our Reservations Team on +353 (0) 818 300 400 or email us at customersupport@irishferries.com.

Irish Ferries very much regrets these cancellations and sincerely apologises for the inconvenience.

Kind Regards,

http://tracking.irishferriesmail.com/images/Andy-Sig.jpg?pomiv=QgwGhmBhXWh5xBzXfH0
    Andrew Sheen

Managing Director
    Irish Ferries Limited
    Breakwater Road
    Dublin 1
    Ireland.

Advertisement