Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

loyatemu wrote: »
    spoke to them earlier and the options were to return 2 days earlier or 3(!) days later - neither is really possible so we've to call back tomorrow to see if they can squeeze us onto the OW the day after we were due to return. :mad:

result - we're on the OW for the day after, just have to sort out an extra night's accommodation.

They also offered us the Epsilon for the next day - I guess they're moving that back onto the French route to take up some of the load as it's not on their original schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

result - we're on the OW for the day after, just have to sort out an extra night's accommodation.

They also offered us the Epsilon for the next day - I guess they're moving that back onto the French route to take up some of the load as it's not on their original schedule.

We're not travelling until September, and thankfully had no accommodation booked - only a short stay and we were returning on the OW anyway. Hoping to get out on the OW 1 day earlier than we had planned. Holding on to talk to them now.

We got on a sailing a day earlier out of roslare as apposed to Dublin,
    Works out well as I wanted to visit Mont Saint-Michel as the missus has never been!
    I sent an email to them yesterday and didnt here anything back.
    Tried ringing them today but not a hope of getting through.
    Checked my booking and it had been amended to the sailing I had asked for (could have been chance?).

I actually didn't have to hang on too long to talk to someone.....the second time. First time, I tried to leave a message and was told the mailbox was now full, surprise surprise. We too got on the OW one day earlier and got a free cabin upgrade. Delighted with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 picpress1

If you need I have and airbnb signup code that will allow you €30 off your stay for the extra nights stay DM me if you need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

In today's Irish Times an IF spokesman is quoted as saying that they had held space on the OW as a contingency (they obviously don't trust the shipbuilders and with good reason). They hope/expect to accommodate 90% of the cancelled bookings on the OW. The remainder will presumably use the landbridge, go with Stena or cancel altogether.

I suppose in the circumstances that would be a tolerable outcome (although people are being messed around badly trying to sync ferries with accommodation etc.) However it means that IF is effectively closed for new business to France until the end of August as they try to get everyone sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oopsies

Hi all,

I hope this doesnt get lost in the ferry chat.. (I hope it all works out!!)

I am travelling to Normandy Saturday week. We are flying to London and on to Caen and hiring a 7 seater car. (There are 4 adults and 2 kids)

I emailed the car hire company (Enterprise) about the equipment thats supposed to be in all cars in France. They replied that there will be a high vis and the warning triangle in the car. No mention of breathalysers or first aid kits. Do I need to buy these at the airport so? It seems nuts that things required by law arent in the car rental.

Anyone any experience with Enterprise in France?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I'm just back from a week in Les Ormes - flipping fantastic in spite of being rained on for much of it! It was so good that we want to book again for next year! However, they are currently building a new indoor pool complex which will not be completed before August of next year & in order to complete it, they will have to close the existing indoor pool. Given the weather that we have had last week, I couldn't imagine being there with no indoor pool!

Has anyone any recommendations of another site? Preferably within a two hour drive of either Roscoff or Cherbourg. We have two small kids who will be 4 & 2 next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

oopsies wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am travelling to Normandy Saturday week. We are flying to London and on to Caen and hiring a 7 seater car. (There are 4 adults and 2 kids)

I emailed the car hire company (Enterprise) about the equipment thats supposed to be in all cars in France. They replied that there will be a high vis and the warning triangle in the car. No mention of breathalysers or first aid kits. Do I need to buy these at the airport so? It seems nuts that things required by law arent in the car rental.

AFAIK the requirement for a breathalyser is gone. Not sure about first aid kit (I carry one regardless) but there might be one in the tailgate or tucked into the tool box area of the rental car. They often come as standard kit these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Hi all,

It's law to have them but the punishment is a zero euro fine, so basically it's a non-enforced law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Anyone found out how the fuel refund is going to work on the landbridge option. I'm waiting to talk to the missus as I was away for work yesterday. She says the Landbridge option could suit us I'm just curious if anyone is doing this option and how they are going to administer the refund etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 picpress1

CheerLouth wrote: »
    I'm just back from a week in Les Ormes - flipping fantastic in spite of being rained on for much of it! It was so good that we want to book again for next year! However, they are currently building a new indoor pool complex which will not be completed before August of next year & in order to complete it, they will have to close the existing indoor pool. Given the weather that we have had last week, I couldn't imagine being there with no indoor pool!

Has anyone any recommendations of another site? Preferably within a two hour drive of either Roscoff or Cherbourg. We have two small kids who will be 4 & 2 next summer.

The same thing happened to me one year in Saint Jean De Monts sitting in a tin box mobile home listening to the rain pelting off the roof. We were booked with Siblu and were able to change to Les Charmets from the same group which is much further south for the 2nd week for a little extra cost and the sun was great. They also have an indoor pool but I'm afraid the are down near La Rochele 6 hour drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭redmissb

We stayed in Port de Plaisance in Benodet last summer, lovely site less than two hours from Roscoff. Fab indoor pool area and we had the nicest mobile we've ever had in France..booked direct with Yelloh and got a great deal. There is a Carrefour at the entrance to this site which is very handy and also the most amazing bakery. You can also walk into town which is not that common on french campsites..lovely for an evening stroll down to the harbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

picpress1 wrote: »
    The same thing happened to me one year in Saint Jean De Monts sitting in a tin box mobile home listening to the rain pelting off the roof. We were booked with Siblu and were able to change to Les Charmets from the same group which is much further south for the 2nd week for a little extra cost and the sun was great. They also have an indoor pool but I'm afraid the are down near La Rochele 6 hour drive.

The rain didn't bother us too much. Rain coats on and off we went but we did wonder where everyone was cos once it dried up a little bit, it was like a swarm of people!

6 hours would be a bit far for us I think.
    redmissb wrote: »
    We stayed in Port de Plaisance in Benodet last summer, lovely site less than two hours from Roscoff. Fab indoor pool area and we had the nicest mobile we've ever had in France..booked direct with Yelloh and got a great deal. There is a Carrefour at the entrance to this site which is very handy and also the most amazing bakery. You can also walk into town which is not that common on french campsites..lovely for an evening stroll down to the harbour.

I'll look that up, thanks! We had thought about La Pointe Saint Gilles also?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Peckham

I'll look that up, thanks! We had thought about La Pointe Saint Gilles also?

Highly recommend. It's a huge site though. Pool area when we were there (August 2016) was unpleasantly busy. Would be great slightly off-season (June/September) if you got the weather.

Benodet is a lovely little town too with a great beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

picpress1 wrote: »

Les Charmettes is very good, especially the things just outside the resort. The journey is ok if you get dvd players for the kids and stop every 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oopsies

AFAIK the requirement for a breathalyser is gone. Not sure about first aid kit (I carry one regardless) but there might be one in the tailgate or tucked into the tool box area of the rental car. They often come as standard kit these days.

Oh great. I thought they were very strict with the breathalyser thing. I might bring a basic first aid kit in my suitcase just to be safe.

Im looking forward to it all now.. But ridiculously nervous! Never done France or anything like this before!!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 marpad

I was affected by the WB Yeats cancellation, I've managed to rebook on Brittany Ferries but haven't gotten through to Irish Ferries yet to arrange a refund (on hold for ages then cut off three times, emailed three times, no response.) I'm absolutely fuming with AA travel insurance though. Because we are now going in and out of Roscoff instead of Cherbourgh I didn't see the point in keeping our booking in a campsite near cherbourg, plus we arive a day later now. I was sure i would be fine because I have travel insurance but when I eventually managed to get through to them they told me I am not covered for cancellation in this case, only for illnes, death etc. I also took out extra cancellation insurance with the campsite when booking but guess what, also not covered!! Surely Irish Ferries should cover it?? Also what is the point in having travel insurance if they don't cover you for something basic like this that is outside of your control. Definitely won't be using AA travel insurance again. Has anyone had any luck getting Irish Ferries to cover accommodation cancelled as a result of the cancellation of the ferry?

Oh great. I thought they were very strict with the breathalyser thing. I might bring a basic first aid kit in my suitcase just to be safe.

Im looking forward to it all now.. But ridiculously nervous! Never done France or anything like this before!!

I used to drive in France a lot and used to get breathalysers on Ebay, but never had them supplied in hire cars......which made me think they weren't that important. I think they came in when Sarkozy was president.....as a favour for someone he knew! The French never took them seriously. But yes, in effect, that requirement is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭kindalen

marpad wrote: »
    I was affected by the WB Yeats cancellation, I've managed to rebook on Brittany Ferries but haven't gotten through to Irish Ferries yet to arrange a refund (on hold for ages then cut off three times, emailed three times, no response.) I'm absolutely fuming with AA travel insurance though. Because we are now going in and out of Roscoff instead of Cherbourgh I didn't see the point in keeping our booking in a campsite near cherbourg, plus we arive a day later now. I was sure i would be fine because I have travel insurance but when I eventually managed to get through to them they told me I am not covered for cancellation in this case, only for illnes, death etc. I also took out extra cancellation insurance with the campsite when booking but guess what, also not covered!! Surely Irish Ferries should cover it?? Also what is the point in having travel insurance if they don't cover you for something basic like this that is outside of your control. Definitely won't be using AA travel insurance again. Has anyone had any luck getting Irish Ferries to cover accommodation cancelled as a result of the cancellation of the ferry?

Irishferries are refusing to honour EU Regulation 1177/2010. Article 17 point 2 states they have to cover hotel for delayed passengers. They point blank refused me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭murt101

Also what is the point in having travel insurance if they don't cover you for something basic like this that is outside of your control. Definitely won't be using AA travel insurance again. Has anyone had any luck getting Irish Ferries to cover accommodation cancelled as a result of the cancellation of the ferry?

My travel insurance is with Laya and they won't cover us for this either.

murt101 wrote: »
    My travel insurance is with Laya and they won't cover us for this either.

Wow, it's unbelievable isn't it?! Altogether we are down €472 of hard cash plus a drive down and back to Cork and a day less holidays. First world problem I know, I could swallow the drive down and back and the loss of a day but the cash is REALLY bugging me, especially as I wasn't even panicking until this afternoon, calmly thinking well at least I have travel insurance, double checking that I was covered for cancellations..... Thinking of all the hours we have to work to earn €472 after tax!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

They’re probably banking on few people taking a case with the national transport authority. This agency has taken on extra staff to deal with this matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭treascon

It’s an absolute joke the manner in which Irish Ferries have handled this. Not contactable, have to ring the UK to try and speak to someone. Finally get through to someone who offers travel on OW 3 days outside what our accommodation is booked for. No information available whatsoever on the landbridge option. Puts us on hold endlessly so he can go and check. No option for him to call us back god forbid. Have gone with Brittany Ferries in the end but lost 2 days on site. A total shambles when they knew months ago there would be issues with the ship being ready on time. I won’t be using them again anyway

I've managed to rebook on Brittany Ferries but haven't gotten through to Irish Ferries yet to arrange a refund

I'm affected too but was there no way you could have gotten another Irish Ferries sailing ?

Going out of Cork is handier for us than Rosslare , we live in the midlands and would have to drive to Dublin first then down, we can be in Cork in under 3 hours and it's a much shorter sailing. Couldn't get through on the phone to them and was afraid if I didn't book Brittany Ferries option it would be sold out, would have been open to going from Rosslare if I could definitely have gotten on Oscar Wilde but as time was ticking wasn't sure. Also when I booked Brittany Ferries I was so convinced I was fine to cancel our Cherbourg accommodation because I presumed we were covered under our travel insurance :( Original plan was to drive to Brittany for first week then back to Normandy for second so we had a short drive home. It's our first time driving to France. We have now booked second week in Brittany. Just can't believe travel insurance doesn't cover it and from looking at comments on Irish Ferries facebook page Irish Ferries are telling everyone to claim cancelled accommodation off their travel insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭treascon

Just can't believe travel insurance doesn't cover it and from looking at comments on Irish Ferries facebook page Irish Ferries are telling everyone to claim cancelled accommodation off their travel insurance.

Of course they are. Easier to try and pass the buck and wash their hands of the whole thing it seems

When are you sailing?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Going out of Cork is handier for us than Rosslare , we live in the midlands and would have to drive to Dublin first then down, we can be in Cork in under 3 hours and it's a much shorter sailing.

Rosslare is much easier to get to than Cork from the Midlands. Easily under 2 hours from the middle of Offaly for example

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

we have insurance with multitrip.com - I checked the policy last night and it doesn't look like it would cover this either (though as it turns out fortunately we haven't had to cancel any accommodation).

Advertisement