Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I was planning on booking the Oscar Wilde this September. I am absolutely raging I didn’t pin down everyone’s dates because I had looked at the sailings already and we were treating my folks. Should I just give up on the idea now? Is Irish ferries the only one that goes to roscoff?

Beanybabog wrote: »
    I was planning on booking the Oscar Wilde this September. I am absolutely raging I didn’t pin down everyone’s dates because I had looked at the sailings already and we were treating my folks. Should I just give up on the idea now? Is Irish ferries the only one that goes to roscoff?

The Oscar Wilde is business as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I know but I assume everyone from the yeats has now been put onto that ship? The website had no availability but I don’t know if it had crashed

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I know but I assume everyone from the yeats has now been put onto that ship? The website had no availability but I don’t know if it had crashed
    I think they are giving the passengers from the WB Yeats first priority so they won't take new bookings until that is sorted.

But the last time I looked, September was available into Cherbourg and Roscoff on the Oscar Wilde.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭molly dolly

September should be ok. Schools will be back. August is the pressure point.

• Advertisement

Very few dates available in August but that might open a bit when all Yeats passengers are sorted. We were thinking of a short trip late August/early Sept but we'll hold off until the mess is sorted.

Its some mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I'd say you'll be fine, though the Roscoff sailings are always busier than Cherbourg. Brittany Ferries go Cork to Roscoff, so you could try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 marpad

Quazzie wrote: »
    Rosslare is much easier to get to than Cork from the Midlands. Easily under 2 hours from the middle of Offaly for example
    According to google maps our house takes ten minutes less to get to Ringaskiddy harbour than to Rosslare and the road is a million times better. We have driven both routes before, plus the ferry from Cork takes four hours less so for us Cork is a better option. If we can't go from Dublin then I would prefer to sail into Roscoff as it is nearer our first weeks accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

7am on a Sunday morning is a massive bonus too..

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭martco

gamblor101 wrote: »
    Just like Je suis Jean, we pay from an irish bank account but I don't think we have a Direct Debit set up. We get an invoice each year with their bank details and just do an EFT.

Just to note that the memebership selected in your post only covers Germany. You will need the ADAC plus for whole of Europe coverage

I may have an answer for this problem should an Irish IBAN be rejected tho I cant think why it would...
    one of the new breed fully online only mobile banks called N26 is fully operational in Ireland - i.e. you get a normal bank account + ATM card which you can use just like your AIB/BOI/Usual suspects + contactless/Applepay....anyways the IBAN number for my account starts with DE ('cos it's a German account)

I've been using it for 6 months or so, works like a dream & I can do literally everything bankingwise off my phone, foreign travel, wages, pay invoices etc. etc. my near 30 year old BOI a/c has become redundant & I'm tempted to close it altogether

might be worth giving a try, easy to setup, there's a few options & most of them are FREE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

marpad wrote: »
    According to google maps our house takes ten minutes less to get to Ringaskiddy harbour than to Rosslare and the road is a million times better. We have driven both routes before, plus the ferry from Cork takes four hours less so for us Cork is a better option. If we can't go from Dublin then I would prefer to sail into Roscoff as it is nearer our first weeks accommodation.

I've often said, I'd sooner drive from monte carlo to Roscoff than go from rosslare to mallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

Can anyone advise on travel times from Dublin to Rosslare, travelling from Newry but its easy to predict travel time to M50 its after that it becomes more of a guesstimate.
    I know in previous years there was lots of port traffic building in Enniscorthy and also roadworks close to Rosslare which added almost 1 hour onto the predicted google map travel time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Deeman83 wrote: »
    Can anyone advise on travel times from Dublin to Rosslare, travelling from Newry but its easy to predict travel time to M50 its after that it becomes more of a guesstimate.

We did it from Drogheda to Rosslare in about three hours (including a stop) but there are road works on the N11 and Ferns and Enniscorthy had massive tailbacks so give yourself plenty of time especially if travelling on a Saturday. We made it on to the boat by the skin of our teeth!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I know in previous years there was lots of port traffic building in Enniscorthy and also roadworks close to Rosslare which added almost 1 hour onto the predicted google map travel time.

Give yourself alot of time, better to be early than late. If too early you can go to rosslare strand for a walk

There is an alternative route from just after Gorey on the R741 that brings you back to the N11 outside Wexford Town and avoids Enniscorthy and Oilgate. Its a fairly quiet road but there's nowhere worth stopping.

Check the AA website for updates on roadworks.

Is the traffic through Wexford less than that of Enniscorthy on a saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Is the traffic through Wexford less than that of Enniscorthy on a saturday?

Wexford shouldn't be an issue as there are multiple routes in and out of it. Enniscorthy is a problem because you really have no choice but the go through it.

CheerLouth wrote: »
    I'm just back from a week in Les Ormes - flipping fantastic in spite of being rained on for much of it!  It was so good that we want to book again for next year!  However, they are currently building a new indoor pool complex which will not be completed before August of next year & in order to complete it, they will have to close the existing indoor pool.  Given the weather that we have had last week, I couldn't imagine being there with no indoor pool!  

Has anyone any recommendations of another site? Preferably within a two hour drive of either Roscoff or Cherbourg.  We have two small kids who will be 4 & 2 next summer.

Absolutely love Les Ormes, did you notice if the little bar is closed in St Leanards? I will be devastated if it is!
    Worrying about the rain though, hopefully it dries up in july :ermm:

gandalf wrote: »
    Wexford shouldn't be an issue as there are multiple routes in and out of it. Enniscorthy is a problem because you really have no choice but the go through it.

Yes, the route back to the N11 skirts the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

I've often said, I'd sooner drive from monte carlo to Roscoff than go from rosslare to mallow.

Have you done Monte Carlo to Roscoff?

• Advertisement

josip wrote: »
    Have you done Monte Carlo to Roscoff?

Further, I did sanremo in italy to cherbourg.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

I'm surprised you chose it over Rosslare-Mallow.
    The San Remo to France part alone is horrible (assuming you went on the dei Fiori)

or maybe that's why you chose to start in Monte Carlo? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,954 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

in one sitting? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Absolutely love Les Ormes, did you notice if the little bar is closed in St Leanards? I will be devastated if it is!
    Worrying about the rain though, hopefully it dries up in july :ermm:

I didn't notice as we didn't get to St. Leonard! :o We were going to cycle to it one day but the weather had been so bad that all the paths were super mucky and we couldn't go on the bikes :(

First Up wrote: »
    There is an alternative route from just after Gorey on the R741 that brings you back to the N11 outside Wexford Town and avoids Enniscorthy and Oilgate. Its a fairly quiet road but there's nowhere worth stopping.

Check the AA website for updates on roadworks.

You can get delayed on Wexford Bridge though, the Castlebridge route to the n11 was closed 4 weeks ago!!

gandalf wrote: »

Wexford has two routes into, N11 and the Wexford Bridge. The bridge can have long delays especially on a Sat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

You can get delayed on Wexford Bridge though, the Castlebridge route to the n11 was closed 4 weeks ago!!

+1
    Trying to drive through Wexford Town can be a bit unpredictable at the moment. The town is full of roadworks for broadband and gas pipes. There's a stop go on the N11 just north of Ferrycarrig and you can be stuck there for up to 20 mins but just allow extra time and this route is more predictable.

josip wrote: »
    I'm surprised you chose it over Rosslare-Mallow.
    The San Remo to France part alone is horrible (assuming you went on the dei Fiori)

or maybe that's why you chose to start in Monte Carlo? :)

Its the atmosphere, plus no getting stuck behind silage tractors etc. There's also something about new ross, its like where dreams go to die.
    Quazzie wrote: »
    in one sitting? :eek:
    Not quite, split it up over two days, one 8 hour sitting and then proably 3 or 4 the following day.
    That being said, I was in my mid twenties then, I'd imagine fatigue would be a greater concern now.

Poochie05 wrote: »

+1
    Trying to drive through Wexford Town can be a bit unpredictable at the moment. The town is full of roadworks for broadband and gas pipes. There's a stop go on the N11 just north of Ferrycarrig and you can be stuck there for up to 20 mins but just allow extra time and this route is more predictable.
    I wasn't suggesting going through Wexford Town but I didn't know the road through Castlebridge was closed. Is that permanently or for some works?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

How long does the land bridge take? I'm trying to work out if I'll need to get on to the hotel near the eurotunnel and tell them we'll be arriving very late. I just put it into Google there and it's coming up with 5 hrs 45 mins, but obviously that's non stop. We've a young child and a baby so we'll have to stop at least twice to feed. Are there any traffic blackspots to avoid?

Advertisement