Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

First Up wrote: »
    I wasn't suggesting going through Wexford Town but I didn't know the road through Castlebridge was closed. Is that permanently or for some works?

It is closed as part of the roadworks on the N11 north of Ferrycarrig, upgrade to Kyle Cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Toots wrote: »
    How long does the land bridge take? I'm trying to work out if I'll need to get on to the hotel near the eurotunnel and tell them we'll be arriving very late. I just put it into Google there and it's coming up with 5 hrs 45 mins, but obviously that's non stop. We've a young child and a baby so we'll have to stop at least twice to feed. Are there any traffic blackspots to avoid?
    I'd think in terms closer to seven hours. The worst bits are usually M6/M1 around Birmingham and the M25 around London but its hard to avoid either of them.
    I've been stuck in jams on both, and on the M2 through Kent.

If you have a hotel on the UK side you are not under as much time pressure but the landbridge is a tough journey, so plan for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭webpal

The road works at Kyle cross are due to finish up in 2 weeks. At the moment, there's no access to castlebridge from Kyle cross but there is just north of there. You could also come off the m11 south around Gorey and head for castlebridge that way.

To add to everyone's joy, I saw signs today either side of whitford roundabout indicating roadworks for a couple of weeks but am unable to find anything online about this. I'll post an update if I see anything.

Also, on Sunday 24th there is a triathlon around rosslare so might cause some delays. Just get some strawberries and enjoy the traffic :)

Also, anyone travelling tomorrow, France are playing in World Cup Saturday morning at 12 cet, may not have any affect but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

Its the atmosphere, plus no getting stuck behind silage tractors etc. There's also something about new ross, its like where dreams go to die.

Guess who grew up just outside New Ross? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

CheerLouth wrote: »
    I'm just back from a week in Les Ormes - flipping fantastic in spite of being rained on for much of it! It was so good that we want to book again for next year! However, they are currently building a new indoor pool complex which will not be completed before August of next year & in order to complete it, they will have to close the existing indoor pool. Given the weather that we have had last week, I couldn't imagine being there with no indoor pool!

Has anyone any recommendations of another site? Preferably within a two hour drive of either Roscoff or Cherbourg. We have two small kids who will be 4 & 2 next summer.

Les Mouettes in Carantec is literally 20 mins away from Roscoff, fabulous site in a very nice part of Brittany. Wouldn’t be as much to do as Les Ormes but if you fancy a short drive with the smallies this is the place to go!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

mikerd4 wrote: »
    Roscoff related question, we have previously sailed out of Cherbourg and bought wine there.  Can anyone recommend a decent place to stock up on wine for the journey home?  We are staying over night about 20 minutes from Roscoff so I have plenty of time before the 6pm sailing to pull in and do some shopping

Can anyone recommend somewhere for Cherbourg? Preferably somewhere we can get recommendations as none of us are wine drinkers but we’re bringing home gifts

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'd think in terms closer to seven hours. The worst bits are usually M6/M1 around Birmingham and the M25 around London but its hard to avoid either of them.
    I've been stuck in jams on both, and on the M2 through Kent.

If you have a hotel on the UK side you are not under as much time pressure but the landbridge is a tough journey, so plan for it!

Yeah we drove to just past Birmingham before and traffic was a nightmare. We've booked a hotel near the tunnel so at least we're not racing down to get the train. Last time we did the land bridge, I was a child! Starting to appreciate now why my poor parents were wrecked when we got to folkstone!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I wasn't suggesting going through Wexford Town but I didn't know the road through Castlebridge was closed. Is that permanently or for some works?

I can check at the weekend as heading down on the bus tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

webpal wrote: »
    The road works at Kyle cross are due to finish up in 2 weeks. At the moment, there's no access to castlebridge from Kyle cross but there is just north of there. You could also come off the m11 south around Gorey and head for castlebridge that way.

To add to everyone's joy, I saw signs today either side of whitford roundabout indicating roadworks for a couple of weeks but am unable to find anything online about this. I'll post an update if I see anything.

Also, on Sunday 24th there is a triathlon around rosslare so might cause some delays. Just get some strawberries and enjoy the traffic :)

Also, anyone travelling tomorrow, France are playing in World Cup Saturday morning at 12 cet, may not have any affect but you never know.

I will check the Whitford one out this weekend as I run out that way on sat morning

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭redmissb

Can anyone recommend somewhere for Cherbourg? Preferably somewhere we can get recommendations as none of us are wine drinkers but we’re bringing home gifts

We normally go the Normandie Wines https://www.normandie-wine.com/

There are supermarkets in Cherbourg but we always sail out on a Sunday so never any open. I find the above place fine though I buy a lot of my before I leave the campsite in ELeclerc..find them the best supermarket for wine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

redmissb wrote: »

There are supermarkets in Cherbourg but we always sail out on a Sunday so never any open. I find the above place fine though I buy a lot of my before I leave the campsite in ELeclerc..find them the best supermarket for wine.

Thanks that’s great. Any price point we should be paying or brand recommendations? Neighbours are watering the plants for us

Thanks that’s great. Any price point we should be paying or brand recommendations? Neighbours are watering the plants for us

I'm afraid I'm no expert on wines! Rose wine from Provence is always lovely..not sweet at all and gorgeous in summer..expensive enough here but you can get it for about €4-6 in France. I bring a good few cases of this home. Cremant de Loire is about €6 over there and is lovely for a gift and a good alternative to Champagne imo. I mostly buy reds that are around €4 or €5 a bottle for everyday drinking and a few more expensive bottles to put aside for xmas etc. I stock up on sparkling wine as it's such good value over there. For white I buy sauvignon blanc..nothing too expensive and few bottles of Sancerre. I also bring port home, very cheap in France, you can get white port too which is lovely chilled in summer..would also make a nice gift!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭webpal

I will check the Whitford one out this weekend as I run out that way on sat morning

Updates here

Note there will be some disruption on Wexford quays next week also (see same site)

Got to love roadworks , I'll have 3 detours on my commute now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

I'm afraid I'm no expert on wines! Rose wine from Provence is always lovely..not sweet at all and gorgeous in summer..expensive enough here but you can get it for about €4-6 in France. I bring a good few cases of this home. Cremant de Loire is about €6 over there and is lovely for a gift and a good alternative to Champagne imo. I mostly buy reds that are around €4 or €5 a bottle for everyday drinking and a few more expensive bottles to put aside for xmas etc. I stock up on sparkling wine as it's such good value over there. For white I buy sauvignon blanc..nothing too expensive and few bottles of Sancerre. I also bring port home, very cheap in France, you can get white port too which is lovely chilled in summer..would also make a nice gift!

You sound like my Twin - that is what we do!

SusanC10 wrote: »
    You sound like my Twin - that is what we do!

Lol Susan! I should get off this thread..not going to France this year and reading all the posts is depressing me:(:D
    Can't wait till bookings open for 2019 so I can start planning next summer, you going over this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Can't wait till bookings open for 2019 so I can start planning next summer, you going over this year?

When do bookings for the ferries typically open? We are already looking at sites for next year & I'm nervous about booking one if we don't know the ferry times. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

If anyone is interested in breakdown cover. I got AA for €128, reduction of €75 for my 9yr old jeep. Its single trip cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Normandie Wine Warehouse is pretty good. I have a preference for Auchan just up the hill outside Cherbourg as I've been buying there for years and have got to know the people in their wine Dept but LeClerc is good too - I prefer either of those to Carrefour.

The Sunday closing of the supermarkets is a nuisance but we can usually work around that.

The wine for sale at €4-€5 is OK but €6-€8 will move you up several steps on the quality ladder. The differential curve between French and Irish prices tends to flatten out above about €12!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oopsies

I know it was asked in a seperate thread but what is the story with French Airstrikes?

We are due to fly to London Southend and on to Caen-Normandy next saturday (23rd).

Travelling with a toddler I'd be reluctant to even fly to London without knowing if our flight to France will go ahead. Or is there any way of knowing beforehand?

Can I try and sort something now? Hardly any room on ferries at this late stage!

HELP!!!! :confused::eek:

Lol Susan! I should get off this thread..not going to France this year and reading all the posts is depressing me:(:D

Definitely my Twin- we are not going either this year !
    But have booked Eurocamp for next year so just waiting for the Ferries to open up for 2019.

• Advertisement

oopsies wrote: »
    I know it was asked in a seperate thread but what is the story with French Airstrikes?

We are due to fly to London Southend and on to Caen-Normandy next saturday (23rd).

Travelling with a toddler I'd be reluctant to even fly to London without knowing if our flight to France will go ahead. Or is there any way of knowing beforehand?

Can I try and sort something now? Hardly any room on ferries at this late stage!

HELP!!!! :confused::eek:

This is a good but technical site re ATC Strikes.
    Look at the latest news section.

https://www.public.nm.eurocontrol.int/PUBPORTAL/gateway/spec/

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Definitely my Twin- we are not going either this year !
    But have booked Eurocamp for next year so just waiting for the Ferries to open up for 2019.

Some good deals on Eurocamp, I'm waiting to book with Yelloh..think it'll be November before they open bookings for 2019.

Cheerlouth, Irish Ferries released prices last year in August. I think Brittany Ferries did too.

Normandie Wine Warehouse is pretty good. I have a preference for Auchan just up the hill outside Cherbourg as I've been buying there for years and have got to know the people in their wine Dept but LeClerc is good too - I prefer either of those to Carrefour.

The Sunday closing of the supermarkets is a nuisance but we can usually work around that.

The wine for sale at €4-€5 is OK but €6-€8 will move you up several steps on the quality ladder. The differential curve between French and Irish prices tends to flatten out above about €12!

Never been to Auchan, don't normally see them further south. Hopefully next year we'll have a weekday sailing and I'll get to go shopping in Cherbourg;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Some good deals on Eurocamp, I'm waiting to book with Yelloh..think it'll be November before they open bookings for 2019.

Cheerlouth, Irish Ferries released prices last year in August. I think Brittany Ferries did too.

Thanks! We had such a good time this year that even Mr. CheerLouth thinks we should book again, so I'm striking while the iron is hot, before he gets booked up with work! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

CheerLouth wrote: »

When do bookings for the ferries typically open? We are already looking at sites for next year & I'm nervous about booking one if we don't know the ferry times. :confused:

Normally after Halloween, although I think it was later this year due to the uncertainty surrounding the launch of the new ship WB Lates

Deeman83 wrote: »
    Normally after Halloween, although I think it was later this year due to the uncertainty surrounding the launch of the new ship WB Lates

Irish ferries bookings for 2018 opened on August 24th last year. Used to be October.

Irish ferries bookings for 2018 opened on August 24th last year. Used to be October.

Not for July bookings, I couldn’t book my sailings until November

It was actually 17th August, I booked July on the date they opened..ended up having to cancel but was def able to book for July on the day they released dates?

It was actually 17th August, I booked July on the date they opened..ended up having to cancel but was def able to book for July on the day they released dates?

Ah, I was booking the return sailing to Dublin and so that’s why my booking couldn’t be done until November, of course that sailing has since been cancelled!
    I will keep any eye out in August for next year!

• Advertisement

Ah right it was the Oscar Wilde I was booking. Eagerly awaiting August here too , can't wait to have next year booked!

Advertisement