Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

redmissb wrote: »
    Ah right it was the Oscar Wilde I was booking. Eagerly awaiting August here too , can't wait to have next year booked!

Me too, going to try the new WB lates to Dublin next year, I wonder if they will have it built by then 🀔😬

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭redmissb

Deeman83 wrote: »
    Me too, going to try the new WB lates to Dublin next year, I wonder if they will have it built by then ����

Dodgy!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GeneralSherman

Opinions please. We are booked to go on the OW next Saturday and staying in a safari tent with Vacances Soleil for 18 nights. We have private health cover. Every year I take out travel insurance but now I am wondering why am I buying it ? Is it worth it ? I think ferry and campsite are lower risk holiday than flying and hotel. Opinions please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭webpal

Definitely would get it. It will cover you for stuff your health insurance won’t. It’s good you won’t need it but things happen and if they do you will be glad you have it. Get a European health insurance card too (for free). The more comfort you have around these things the better you can enjoy your holiday. It’s not dear either and I know Aviva offer it for free if you have house and car with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭molly dolly

Hmmm unless you have sporty children. My big fella was playing a hybrid blend of football, soccer and rugby one night. Did a cheeky push of a ball off another kid and got a smack in the mouth. Cue travelling to A & E for stitches. With bikes, football swimming pools, slides I wouldn't go without it.

Very same fella went and qualified for community games so we now need to reveiw coming home 2 days early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Peckham

Opinions please. We are booked to go on the OW next Saturday and staying in a safari tent with Vacances Soleil for 18 nights. We have private health cover. Every year I take out travel insurance but now I am wondering why am I buying it ? Is it worth it ? I think ferry and campsite are lower risk holiday than flying and hotel. Opinions please.

Car broke down on way back to ferry last year. Trip home delayed by 2 days. Travel insurance paid for hotel, food, car hire etc.

If travelling with kids I'd always have travel insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

If your accommodation is a cost you couldn't write off you have to insure it or forfeit the money paid if you leave early

• Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭Icsics

Just a heads up on the price of diesel here in France, it's now €1.43 a litre in most places. Fill up before u come over

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ruby00

Anyone know cheapest place fill up on way to rosslare tks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I was looking at costs of diesel just the other day, and if you're anywhere near, Belgium is cheaper, and Luxembourg is cheapest at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Icsics wrote: »
    Just a heads up on the price of diesel here in France, it's now €1.43 a litre in most places. Fill up before u come over

Is that including the supermarket stations or just roadside/motorway stations?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭Icsics

MorganIRL wrote: »
    Is that including the supermarket stations or just roadside/motorway stations?

That's the supermarket stations!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Icsics wrote: »
    That's the supermarket stations!

I filled up yesterday in E'Leclerc, €1.45.
    Was up to €1.69 in the motorway stations

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

it's 1.42 here in Greystones - won't be saving much by filling up before we go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭webpal

Linky please

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Diesel €1.36c over here in mayo. Thought that was steep. Usually stopped in Camolin to fill on previous trips. But its being 3 yrs since last away. Open to suggestions on N11. Heading tues.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Thats bull. The following ones are cheaper than dublin:
    1. Redmond Sq
    2. Applegreen by the race course
    3. One on William St.

Didn't check the applegreen in ferns.

Just to follow up on the roadworks from Friday.

From Whitford down to the roundabout at Drinagh, there was no roadworks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We came through from Rosslare to Dublin this morning, no substantial roadworks or delays along the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

They're only due to start today, got this in an alert from the Council:
    Major Roadworks – N25 / R733 Duncannon Roundabout (Whitford Hotel)

From Monday the 18th of June to Wednesday the 4th of July 2018

There will be Major Resurfacing Works on the N25 / R733 Duncannon Roundabout (Whitford Hotel) commencing 09.30 Monday the 18th of June. The N25 Northern and Southern approaches to the Roundabout will be reduced to one lane on Monday / Tuesday / Wednesday of next week and Major Delays may be experienced at peak times. Further resurfacing works will then take place from 20.00 to 05.00 each night starting Wednesday the 20th of June until Wednesday the 4th of July.

These works are weather dependant and as such the completion date and working hours may be subject to change

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Where are you this year AR? Same as previous years or did you convince the family to try a new spot?

Where are you this year AR? Same as previous years or did you convince the family to try a new spot?

La carabasse, still a siblu site(private renting), hoping for more consistent warm weather and just something different. What about you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

La carabasse, still a siblu site(private renting), hoping for more consistent warm weather and just something different. What about you?

Siblu La Reserve for the 3rd year, it suits the kids now they are older. More sports activities during the day, much bigger pool (they expanded it over the winter and added 300 new sun loungers so plenty to go round now), the private lake has a great beach and there's a late music bar where the teens hang out, play pool and have sneaky beers.

The weather is great currently and looks good for the next 10 days or so at least.

YR-Gastes1529334996.png

Only downside I've noticed this year which is our first of these holidays in June rather than July is that there aren't many kids around in the 12-18 age bracket and not many Irish or Brits here at all compared to previous years. I haven't seen another ROI car here yet and only one UK reg. I guess it's just early in the season.

The upside is there is loads of space and little queuing at the bar etc.

Enjoy La Carabasse. Hope you're getting out for your daily run?

La reserve will be on our list when the kids are teenagers!!!

I have new routes mapped out for the other half and myself to run:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Baybay

The weather down here has been what both locals & visitors consider poor. The worst of the thunder storms didn't hit but rain, some gloomy days & low temperatures for the time of year have been features of June. Finally though it seems a corner has been turned & more settled warm, even hot weather has begun. This follows a cold & sometimes surprisingly snowy winter, not unlike our own & again locals feel they've gone from winter straight into summer with no spring.

Baybay wrote: »
    The weather down here has been what both locals & visitors consider poor. The worst of the thunder storms didn't hit but rain, some gloomy days & low temperatures for the time of year have been features of June. Finally though it seems a corner has been turned & more settled warm, even hot weather has begun. This follows a cold & sometimes surprisingly snowy winter, not unlike our own & again locals feel they've gone from winter straight into summer with no spring.

Any recommendations on things to do down there?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Baybay

I'm not sure what you enjoy or how familiar you are with the area or indeed how far you'd like to go to do or see things.

Valras plage has a lovely promenade & a playground on the beach. Some nice restaurants too & all the beach, touristy shops you need. The Auberge de Provençale is one of our favourite restaurants.
    Serignan plage usually has a nice beach restaurant too.
    Vendres plage is less touristy & you can rent jet skis etc.

Cap d'Agde has the water park, the marina with some very nice boats, a Ferris wheel & lots of nice restaurants & bars along the front. Plenty of parking too.

Béziers is having a bit of a face lift just now, opening June 30. Its been ongoing for a year or so. The cathedral with a wonderful view if you're prepared to climb the tower! Also the canal passes through & seeing the nine locks in operation is fun. There's a Sunday morning market there too. Cruises on the canal can be good & you can hire your own mini cruiser or take part in bigger, sometimes catered cruises.

If you're into wine, St. Chinian isn't far away. The lady in nearby Cazal Viel is Irish & there's also Irish interest in Domaine de Sarabande in Faugeres.

Carcassonne is worth a visit but can get crowded.

Loads of things really!! These are just from the ones i can think of while watching the match!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

We came through from Rosslare to Dublin this morning, no substantial roadworks or delays along the way

Via Wexford or Enniscorthy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭molly dolly

Just got our accommodation vochure for Kelair today. I just see from that that we've to pay €100 deposit on arrival. Bit strange, hadn't been told this before I always leave our mobile spotless. (usually travel eurocamp). Always take pics to as proof. Just another sting in the tail.

Advertisement