Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Just got our accommodation vochure for Kelair today. I just see from that that we've to pay €100 deposit on arrival. Bit strange, hadn't been told this before I always leave our mobile spotless. (usually travel eurocamp). Always take pics to as proof. Just another sting in the tail.

It's standard enough in my experience. Leave the place spotless and you get your €100 back, don't and you don't. Most campsites learned a long time ago that just trusting people to leave the mobile as they got it doesn't work and incurred cleaning costs as a result.

I am surprised the €100 deposit isn't in your T&C's though. Most places are also happy to take details of credit/debit card and block off €100 which is only charged if you don't leave the place clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭molly dolly

suppose I haven't had it with Eurocamp before; just looked through emails, definitely not on it till todays vochure.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

suppose I haven't had it with Eurocamp before; just looked through emails, definitely not on it till todays vochure.

Definitely in the brochure in the booking details pages towards the rear. Standard with Kelair, means you get into your unit faster as their staff are not deep cleaning the last residents litter.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerd4

Would have killed for weather like that in La Reserve last year, it was warm but the thunder storms were something else.

Wrt to cleaning, most places take a cleaning deposit, Siblu are hardcore about the van inspection and last year despite being spotless we had a guy almost ruin our experience of Siblu with his creepy approach to inspection.  We left it cleaner than we found it and he wasnt happy at all.  This year in order to placate the wife we have paid for the van clean so we dont have to go through the same thing again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Just got our accommodation vochure for Kelair today. I just see from that that we've to pay €100 deposit on arrival. Bit strange, hadn't been told this before I always leave our mobile spotless. (usually travel eurocamp). Always take pics to as proof. Just another sting in the tail.
    Definitely saw it in the kelair brochure, but would agree it was hardly front and centre. With eurocamp, we paid the cleaning insurance or whatever it's called.

• Advertisement

how much is petrol in france now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

how much is petrol in france now?

I’m here at the moment and it’s between €1.49 and €1.67 a litre. Fuel is surprisingly expensive here this year, we usually find it’s cheaper than at home.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I found diesel to vary wildly across france on my last trips. As with most countries motorways are going to cost more to fill up on. That said i love a bit of premium diesel and im not going to worry over the diference of 3-4e on a full fill rather than going out my way to save money

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Haven't looked at petrol. Will have a gawk and post tomorrow. Am in the Dordoigne region now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭Icsics

The diesel jumped from about €1.14 last yr to €1.43 this year, surprised somebody's not on strike over it..!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

mikerd4 wrote: »
    I found diesel to vary wildly across france on my last trips. As with most countries motorways are going to cost more to fill up on. That said i love a bit of premium diesel and im not going to worry over the diference of 3-4e on a full fill rather than going out my way to save money

Is diesel either gazoil or diesel? Also what’s the name of the premium stuff?

Gazoil and Diesel are the same thing.
    They have several diferent diesels in some filling stations.  Bit like the Shell Ultra Diesel thats available in the uk

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Got fuel today.
    Diesel €1,45
    Petrol €1,54
    Higher octane was €1.57

Ths was in Intermarche, was the same in ELeclerc

Icsics wrote: »
    The diesel jumped from about €1.14 last yr to €1.43 this year, surprised somebody's not on strike over it..!

Christ.. don’t mention strikes. We got caught here 2-3 yrs ago when the oil delivery drivers went on strike. It was no fun trying to get a full tank to get us home.

1 week to go now. Cant wait. Roofbox out the shed and getting car holiday ready....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Going a bit off topic here but thought I mention it.

Like the rest of ye we head to France every year, used to drive and now we fly.

But something we also tried this year at the bank holiday weekends, is camping in Ireland. The campsites are really good and once you get the weather the fun the kids is great

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Jpm123

Hi folks, does anyone know what movies they are showing on the Oscar Wilde at the moment. We travel out on Wednesday next week. Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Jpm123 wrote: »
    Hi folks, does anyone know what movies they are showing on the Oscar Wilde at the moment. We travel out on Wednesday next week. Thanks in advance
    I'm sure Irish Ferries have a pretty good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Jpm123

First Up wrote: »

Thanks for that !! I was hoping for first hand knowledge instead of a generic answer form a call centre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

A couple of weeks ago the childrens movies were Sherlock Gnomes and Isle of Dogs (both got good reviews from those of us that stayed awake!), and for the evening I think an Avenger one and Black Panther but we weren't really looking at those options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭May Contain Small Parts

But something we also tried this year at the bank holiday weekends, is camping in Ireland. The campsites are really good and once you get the weather the fun the kids is great

Can you recommend ones in Ireland that are good?

Any I've seen have been dingy messes, a world behind anything I've seen on the continent.

Can you recommend ones in Ireland that are good?

Any I've seen have been dingy messes, a world behind anything I've seen on the continent.

They might not match the continent but the ones we stayed in were Hidden Valley and Nore Valley (pitches with electric and not in a big field).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,954 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Thanks for that !! I was hoping for first hand knowledge instead of a generic answer form a call centre

They'll both be the same answer. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭May Contain Small Parts

They might not match the continent but the ones we stayed in were Hidden Valley and Nore Valley (pitches with electric and not in a big field).

They do look nice - hidden valley especially.

I'm not convinced until I see the wash-block though!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

Hidden Valley is a great spot, lots to do, water sports, lake, wash block is really clean.

Only negative was the wasps, we were there in late August and the place was crawling with them.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    A couple of weeks ago the childrens movies were Sherlock Gnomes and Isle of Dogs (both got good reviews from those of us that stayed awake!), and for the evening I think an Avenger one and Black Panther but we weren't really looking at those options.

They were showing the same movies on Sunday last.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

First Up wrote: »

Who is going to have more first hand knowledge than the people operating the ship?

But if you want to know what was showing last week or last month, you've come to the right place.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭sdevine89

Has anyone camped in the South East of France, that would have recommendations? Heading on a 5/6 week road trip and trying to alternate between camping and hotels/B&B.

• Advertisement

They do look nice - hidden valley especially.

I'm not convinced until I see the wash-block though!

The only thing I say about the wash block there is they are constantly cleaning every 15 mins so the floor is always wet.

Advertisement