Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

talla wrote: »
    Needs to be below the specified limit.
    From the first page of process.
    "Your registration certificate must be up-to-date, and be sent as an attachment.The attachment must be in .pdf, .png or .jpeg format and must not exceed 400kB."

I just saved the image as low quality when scanning in.

is the "registration certificate" a copy of the log book or your last NCT inspection?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

VRT cert.

Sample pic of front here

https://monaghan.ie/motortax/taxing-online/

Details required are overleaf

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

talla wrote: »
    Needs to be below the specified limit.
    From the first page of process.
    "Your registration certificate must be up-to-date, and be sent as an attachment.The attachment must be in .pdf, .png or .jpeg format and must not exceed 400kB."

I just saved the image as low quality when scanning in.

Yeah tried all that but still way to big.

Thanks anyway. I'll do it by post - I have time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Just spotted this nightmare...
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0626/973383-irish-ferries-cancels-ulysses-journeys-due-to-fault/

"The Epsilon vessel, which sails on the Dublin-Cherbourg route will replace the Ulysses on the Holyhead route from next Friday, until the Ulysses returns from dry dock.
    Dublin-Cherbourg services operated by the Epsilon next Saturday and Sunday have also been cancelled."

No update on Irish Ferries' site regarding the French sailings, but the UK/Ulysses are marked as cancelled...
    https://www.irishferries.com/uk-en/sailing-updates/dublin-holyhead/

10-10-20 wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0626/973383-irish-ferries-cancels-ulysses-journeys-due-to-fault/

"The Epsilon vessel, which sails on the Dublin-Cherbourg route will replace the Ulysses on the Holyhead route from next Friday, until the Ulysses returns from dry dock.
    Dublin-Cherbourg services operated by the Epsilon next Saturday and Sunday have also been cancelled."

No update on Irish Ferries' site regarding the French sailings, but the UK/Ulysses are marked as cancelled...

Having a good week, aren't they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

10-10-20 wrote: »

Wow, dodged a bullet here. We like to arrive home on Saturday rather than Sunday so although we travelled over on Irish Ferries we're returning from Cherbourg Friday week July 6th with Stena!!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭molly dolly

that is some dose . . . their rep must be in tatters.

Glad we're going landbridge with Stena this year on Friday afternoon.
    It'll probably be jammed with Irish Ferry rebookings though

josip wrote: »
    Glad we're going landbridge with Stena this year on Friday afternoon.
    It'll probably be jammed with Irish Ferry rebookings though
    Apparently only 2% of IF refugees opted for the landbridge. It would only be a last resort for me too, unless I had a good reason to stop in UK.

First Up wrote: »
    Apparently only 2% of IF refugees opted for the landbridge. It would only be a last resort for me too, unless I had a good reason to stop in UK.

Some years we don't know for certain until May whether we'll be able to do a summer away and by then, the sailings to France that we'd like to go on, have been fully booked.

Landbridge via the UK saves us half a day for where we want to go and is cheaper.
    Although we do miss La Rochelle and Portir Agnes when we go that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Landbridge seems much cheaper compared to the average ferry price from Ireland to France during the summer, I'd guess that the average return to France from Ireland for July / August using Stena / IF / Brittany would be around €1000 for a family of 5 inc car / roofbox. The fare from Dub to Holyhead and then Dover to Calais combined totalled €575 for us. (You could actually get that cheaper as all tickets are fully flexible). Maybe add a tank of fuel on top but still way cheaper, obviously not everyones cup of tea as a fair old trek through England but if you're on a budget.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

wall wrote: »
    We went tru security at 9:30 last Saturday and it was fine looking, I'd say it took less than 10 mins. We had paid for Fast Track in case it was busy.
    On another note, I was wondering here about Bbqs last week, well, we arrived at Aloha and I bought a charcoal BBQ from the site shop, it's on a stand, has a wind brake and only cost €15. Sack of charcoal was cheap enough too. I brought a BBQ chimney starter with me which is so handy, though I saw the chimneys for sale here in Carrefour for only about €4. It's very nice here.

Booked the fast track last night, just not worth the hassle. Keeping it simple

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerd4

Just on the boat ready to sail to Roscoff. Rosslare is gorgeous in this weather.

Roads from Dublin fine, very little roadworks and only the delay in Ennscorthy and the usual jokers doing well below the speed limit but refusing to pull over and let people pass causing rolling tailbacks.

As some have asked bout the movies

16.30 sherlock gnomes and early man

18.30 Sherlock gnomes and rampage

2030 avengers and deadpool 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

Landbridge seems much cheaper compared to the average ferry price from Ireland to France during the summer

Was thinking of doing this in mid July.

Some good late deal accomodation, Siblu have a 3 bed in Le Bois Masson for 2 weeks mid july for 1600 which is not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

ifElseThen wrote: »
    Was thinking of doing this in mid July.

Some good late deal accomodation, Siblu have a 3 bed in Le Bois Masson for 2 weeks mid july for 1600 which is not bad.

Try looking a private owner and you might save more.

Landbridge seems much cheaper compared to the average ferry price from Ireland to France during the summer, I'd guess that the average return to France from Ireland for July / August using Stena / IF / Brittany would be around €1000 for a family of 5 inc car / roofbox. The fare from Dub to Holyhead and then Dover to Calais combined totalled €575 for us. (You could actually get that cheaper as all tickets are fully flexible). Maybe add a tank of fuel on top but still way cheaper, obviously not everyones cup of tea as a fair old trek through England but if you're on a budget.....
    Cheaper alright, although the sailings from Ireland include a night's accomodation which is an extra using landbridge. It also depends where you plan to finish up - Calais is a bit out of the way if heading to the Vendee for example.

It isn't all about price for me. I just don't like driving all the way through England (especially with a load of wine on the return trip!)

Try looking a private owner and you might save more.

100% this. I've booked privately the last two years and couldn't be happier. I'm saving at least €750 per 3 week holiday and getting better accommodation i.e. air con + washing machine + Sky TV + nice additional bits like a hammock and loads of kitchen stuff to use.

Spend a couple of hours researching on https://www.directholidayhomes.co.uk, contact at least 20 owners outlining who you are (two Irish adults + 2 kids aged 6 and 8 or whatever) and the dates you require and see what the responses are. If private owners still haven't rented out for July they will be very open to discounting their asking price this late in June!!

Depending on how many positive responses you get you can haggle hard and do a good deal but don't forget you'll have to typically add the cost of fun passes on top if the sites are run by Siblu which cost circa €25 a week per person.

I tried that last year at siblu la reserve. All private owners wanted more than siblu and once owners direct took a cut and the fun passes were added it became silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Following last month's disaster for them when they cancelled the ferries to France this summer as new boat wasn't ready seems like they're in trouble again.
    Their biggest ship, Ulysses, which does the Dublin-Holyhead route has been taken out of action until further notice (probably mid July) as propeller is knackered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭molly dolly

We've driven to Canterbury for a week. Great week but It turned me off the idea of doing landbridge as we did take a spin down to Dover to investigate the castle and cliffs. Long haul. Its peak season for me in work in July. When we get off in August its enough to pack up and hit Rosslare which is an hour away. Holiday does start when we are on board. We tend to push the driving on the other side too so two days of it would be too much. I got our ferry for 5, car roofbox, speedy disembarkment and meals on way home for less then €950 and we've the option of the free ferry trip next year which we have used with great success.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 bernsy

Hi everyone,
    Is it possible to buy duty free (drink and cigs) in Orlando and bring them home to Dublin via Gatwick?? or will they be taken off,me in Gatwick?
    Thanks for any replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

As long as it’s in the sealed bag it’s grand

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Agent_47

I'd have no thrust in them now!

Using Brittany ferries instead, later in the year

mikerd4 wrote: »
    I tried that last year at siblu la reserve. All private owners wanted more than siblu and once owners direct took a cut and the fun passes were added it became silly.

Maybe I got lucky but for private rental to work they have to offer better terms than the site operator otherwise why would anyone book with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Greg81

ted1 wrote: »
    As long as it’s in the sealed bag it’s grand

Last time I was heading back from US, they opened my sealed bag on Heathrow looked inside and let me through.

I would think the same way but was amazed last year. I kinda checked with Siblu as a last resort expecting it to be way too pricey.  The van we got was nearly new, had sat tv (only used it to watch le tour highlights) full of food stuff and utensils etc. Thats why we rebooked with siblu again and got a big discount for returning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Baybay

Maybe I got lucky but for private rental to work they have to offer better terms than the site operator otherwise why would anyone book with them?

Unless it's changed, owners are responsible for electricity & gas charges plus insurance, site fees, parc maintenance, advertising, securing their van for winter etc. They may feel able to charge a bit more too for the little extras like Sky or dishwashers etc.
    In my opinion, owning vans is not cheap particularly as in keeping with the Siblu rented vans, they would have to be replaced every few years too.

Some of the higher end parks at home charge €10,000 fees per year & while I don't know if Siblu costs are up there, private owners presumably want their fees met with a couple of weeks holiday fitted in for themselves.
    I think private owners maybe have more flexibility on arrival & departure days & usually have a good few of the aforementioned extras plus many clients are happy to have an Irish or UK owner that they can speak English with during the booking process.

Btw, not a van owner but we did look into it a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭pmpa

I have priced booking privately the last three years for Les Charmettes. I must have emailed ten owners. All were more expensive than booking with Siblu.
    As it turned out, I paid the extra for hand picking a mobile and I selected one of the mobiles than you can rent privately. Siblu was €500 cheaper than that owner( that is including buying fun passes). I told the owner that.
    Will be going to a different part of France next year so hopefully might get lucky booking privately then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

josip wrote: »
    Some years we don't know for certain until May whether we'll be able to do a summer away and by then, the sailings to France that we'd like to go on, have been fully booked.

Landbridge via the UK saves us half a day for where we want to go and is cheaper.
    Although we do miss La Rochelle and Portir Agnes when we go that way.

Would you consider booking in September for the following year, and if everything goes pear-shaped, you have only lost the 100 euro booking deposit?

Advertisement