Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

@Baybay & @ pmpa,

Thanks for sharing your own experiences.

Looks like I did get lucky so!!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭pmpa

@Baybay & @ pmpa,

Thanks for sharing your own experiences.

Looks like I did get lucky so!!

I'm hoping I will be lucky next year! We haven't even thought about where we will go but it's time for a change. Three years is the longest we have ever returned to the same place!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

mikerd4 wrote: »
    I tried that last year at siblu la reserve. All private owners wanted more than siblu and once owners direct took a cut and the fun passes were added it became silly.

Wow, Went private at les charmettes last year and again at la carabasse this year, all siblu sites. Taking into account of buying fun passes, we saved over 500 euro.
    Still getting the excellence model with aircon, but we can be sure we have tv with sky, washing machine, picking the site location from day one. All the extra's in the kitchen also.

pmpa wrote: »
    I have priced booking privately the last three years for Les Charmettes. I must have emailed ten owners. All were more expensive than booking with Siblu.
    As it turned out, I paid the extra for hand picking a mobile and I selected one of the mobiles than you can rent privately. Siblu was €500 cheaper than that owner( that is including buying fun passes). I told the owner that.
    Will be going to a different part of France next year so hopefully might get lucky booking privately then!

I found it the opposite in les charmettes, could depend on the model your going for. We always went for the excellence 3 bedroom with air, privately they are way cheaper in les charmettes. I could of given you a contact there.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭pmpa

I found it the opposite in les charmettes, could depend on the model your going for. We always went for the excellence 3 bedroom with air, privately they are way cheaper in les charmettes. I could of given you a contact there.

That's interesting as we always get a 3 bed excellance with air con, washing machine, dishwasher, big BBQ, free view UK TV so we basically get the same mobile and your saving €500 going privately and I'm saving €500 going with Siblu!
    If I'm over ruled about next year I will send you a pm if you don't mind!

• Advertisement

pmpa wrote: »
    That's interesting as we always get a 3 bed excellance with air con, washing machine, dishwasher, big BBQ, free view UK TV so we basically get the same mobile and your saving €500 going privately and I'm saving €500 going with Siblu!
    If I'm over ruled about next year I will send you a pm if you don't mind!

Yeah no worries. We got the 3 bed excellence with air con and 2 free adult passes for 1400 euro, so about 1470 with the two kids passes also and siblu were charging 1950 before we picked the pitch, so add in that charge also. This was also for the first 2 weeks of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Peckham

Anyone know if Irish Ferries are strict on the car height?

Just noticed that booked car as maximum 1.9 metres, but including roofbox it's higher. Not sure how high car is (will measure it this evening), but suspect it's about 2.2 metres including roofbox

It's a different car to one I've previously travelled with, but didn't think of this when booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Peckham wrote: »
    Anyone know if Irish Ferries are strict on the car height?

Just noticed that booked car as maximum 1.9 metres, but including roofbox it's higher. Not sure how high car is (will measure it this evening), but suspect it's about 2.2 metres including roofbox

It's a different car to one I've previously travelled with, but didn't think of this when booking.

I made that mistake a couple of times and IF didn't make an issue of it. I'd say they're well used to people forgetting to include the additional height when the roof box is added.

Have you tried logging onto IF and adjusting your booking? I think you can do that right up to departure day as people change cars etc between booking and departure.

Have you tried logging onto IF and adjusting your booking? I think you can do that right up to departure day as people change cars etc between booking and departure.

Thanks. You're always a font of knowledge here!

Might try that. Travelling tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Peckham wrote: »

Thanks. You're always a font of knowledge here!

Might try that. Travelling tomorrow.
    I think the height thing is more about planning the capacity on the different decks than the price. I've not seen any difference to prices with/without roof box. No harm to tell them though.

• Advertisement

Can't edit my booking online. Guess that's cut off because I'm travelling tomorrow.

Anxious about ringing them in case they say it's a problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

Irish ferries have cancelled the Saturday 30th June and Sunday -  Dublin Cherbourg Sailings on the Epsilon.
    They arent having any luck. I guess they are more vunerable know to mechanical issues as there is no spare capacity due to the problems with WB Yeats delievery. The Landbridge routes are going to be very very busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

Irish ferries have cancelled the Saturday 30th June and Sunday -  Dublin Cherbourg Sailings on the Epsilon.
    They arent having any luck. I guess they are more vunerable know to mechanical issues as there is no spare capacity due to the problems with WB Yeats delievery. The Landbridge routes are going to be very very busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭raddo

Hi all, heading to France this Saturday from Cork.
    Was just sorting out stuff for car, bulbs, hi-vis vest, triangle, etc and found this in argos
    http://www.argos.ie/ProductDisplayTRK019?partNumber=6999517
    Granted sticker is GB and you will also need breathalyzer but its good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

raddo wrote: »
    Was just sorting out stuff for car, bulbs, hi-vis vest, triangle, etc and found this in argos

you don't need a sticker anyway; it says IRL on your number plate.

loyatemu wrote: »
    raddo wrote: »

you don't need a sticker anyway; it says IRL on your number plate.
    Think GB the only (current) EU country still using stickers. Everyone else has it on the number plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

Nor do you need the breathalyser

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

As above, sticker is only required for UK registered vehicles as they don't display the country ID on their reg. plates

All other EU vehicles, with the exception of vintage, have the country ID on their plates

The breathalyser is/was legal requirement but has never been enforced so you're safe without one

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Greg81 wrote: »
    Last time I was heading back from US, they opened my sealed bag on Heathrow looked inside and let me through.

Aren't the bags transparent precisely so they don't have to open them to inspect the contents?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Greg81 wrote: »
    Last time I was heading back from US, they opened my sealed bag on Heathrow looked inside and let me through.

Same happened me coming from South Africa in Heathrow. Opened the bag, scanned for explosives (I think), was going to put it back in another plastic bag but because it was my final flight it was ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I’ve noticed that the Cabaret show on the Oscar Wilde has been cancelled for this year and replaced with 2 musicians. I wonder was the plan to move it to the new ship? Either way it’s a shame, we used to enjoy going up to the bar for some evening entertainment.

I’ve noticed that the Cabaret show on the Oscar Wilde has been cancelled for this year and replaced with 2 musicians. I wonder was the plan to move it to the new ship? Either way it’s a shame, we used to enjoy going up to the bar for some evening entertainment.

Surprised to see that. It was a bit cheesy but kids loved it. There was always a couple of other acts playing before and after - guitar/vocal or piano - but the song and dance show was a staple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Greg81

coylemj wrote: »
    Aren't the bags transparent precisely so they don't have to open them to inspect the contents?

I got a whisky that was i a carton box. They opened the box to check inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

It was always fun trying to spot the dancers the next morning, as they looked very different in the uniform dishing out the fried breakfast!
    Last time the two musicians were The Kaye Twins, also known as Powerhouse Brass.

They were our wedding band, so it was a surprise to see them again 15 years later ......

• Registered Users Posts: 82,589 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The liquid will be the issue, as mentioned make sure you get it in the specially sealed bag, the duty free shop in Orlando will do this for you if you ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭feedthegoat

Out of interest how many posters have been
    stopped by the French police and asked for bulbs, hi visibility jacket etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭molly dolly

in 11 years of doing this. NEVER but sods law we have them so won't be asked. And we've done alot of driving. Live 1 hour from Rosslare and invariabley do 1500 - 2000 kms on hols even if its in Brittany. Dh likes to cover an area. Harder now boys are older and just want to hang out on site.

Not me, but I'd feel awful silly if I was and hadn't spent the small change needed to comply.

You can get the jackets free from the RSA. The bulbs and fire extinguisher you should have anyway and it takes about five minutes to put tape on your high beams.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I've been to France 6 or 7 times, never been stopped nor have I ever heard of someone being stopped.

Advertisement