Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

from UK Indo today

FRANCE TRAVEL CHAOS: BRITISH TOURISTS WARNED OF NIGHTMARE JOURNEYS ON BUSIEST WEEKEND OF YEAR
    From Friday afternoon, travellers through France face widespread delays and disruption.

Tens of thousands of British holidaymakers heading across the Channel will find that they have arrived on the busiest weekend of the year so far on the roads of France.

The Independent has analysed the predicted traffic flows on major routes in France and identified 5, 6 and 7 July as the toughest weekend for drivers heading south from Paris and the area around Lyon.

The official traffic calendar warns that conditions will be “very difficult” on Friday and Saturday heading south from Paris, and “difficult” from the Lyon area on Sunday.

French schools nationwide break up for the eight-week holiday on Friday 5 July.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭micks_address

BailMeOut wrote: »

Hopefully be ok going north from nante tomorrow to dol de bretagne?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,952 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Does anyone know what supermarkets/hypermarkets stock Magners/Bulmers in the Cote D'Azur?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Quazzie wrote: »
    Does anyone know what supermarkets/hypermarkets stock Magners/Bulmers in the Cote D'Azur?

most big supermarkets will have French cider, which is generally pretty good - does it have to be Bulmers?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Just to let ye know Sky Go works perfectly in France, laws changed earlier this year .

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »

Any Brittany Cider is way superior to Bulmers and available anywhere in France. Give it a try and the good news is that you can get these lovely french ciders when you get home ago as they are easily found here too.

loyatemu wrote: »
    most big supermarkets will have French cider, which is generally pretty good - does it have to be Bulmers?

Doesn't have to be Bulmers per se. I'm travelling with family and one of them is particularly fussy about what he drinks. Usually won't stray too far from Bulmers but I'll be trying some of the French ciders myself so hopefully i can convert him.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dizzyn

Anyone have experience of the wifi in the cabins in domaine des ormes? We are staying with eurocamp, 3 bed one. Not the end of the world if its rubbish.. I think in 3 player you can download for offline watching so might download in bar and watch back in the cabin if stuck..

It's actually fairly decent. Last year we had to pay for it, as free wifi was only available around the main areas like the bar. It wasnt too expensive and there was different packages too which was handy.

The WIFI was faster than we expected; we were able to stream movies and download some for the way home on the laptop/Ipad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Baybay

wall wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a good sized Decathlon near Serignon? There’s one in Béziers not far from here but it’s not as good as they get. Has anyone been to one in Montpellier by any chance? .

They are building a new, bigger single store in Villeneuve les Beziers but that's not due to open until November. Montpellier is sizeable but its a few years since I was there. There's another in Narbonne but I havent been there at all. Maybe they're already beginning to reduce stock in the stores in Beziers.

There is a good size Decathlon in Perpignan if that's not too much of a drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

The kids are in their French jerseys today for the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

The kids are in their French jerseys today for the match.

I am looking for 3 Mbappe France shirts, two for the lads and one for err, me ;)

Deeman83 wrote: »
    I am looking for 3 Mbappe France shirts, two for the lads and one for err, me ;)

Plenty here in vias. Got the whole kit for 30 euro, not official but nicer than the official one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

No, I’ve not heard of anyone doing that. The Netflix app controls where that content is stored and it’s not configurable.

So how do people download stuff legally to the wifi storage device? I want something that can be downloaded and not expire.

So how do people download stuff legally to the wifi storage device? I want something that can be downloaded and not expire.

iTunes, Google Play, Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

I'm open to correction but I don't think any of those services will show you to download to an external hard drive, your best bet might be to download to a laptop or tablet but even then in order to play the files you may need to be connected to the internet so the service can establish the veracity of the files (not copies) and that your location is compliant with the geographic license of the content.

If you have a DVD library you should be able to rip a copy of each movie/TV series to the external drive as technically all you're doing is backing up licensed content you've already purchased or are at least the legal owner of.

Skygo for me this year. But not getting much time to watch them.

I'm open to correction but I don't think any of those services will show you to download to an external hard drive, your best bet might be to download to a laptop or tablet but even then in order to play the files you may need to be connected to the internet so the service can establish the veracity of the files (not copies) and that your location is compliant with the geographic license of the content.

If you have a DVD library you should be able to rip a copy of each movie/TV series to the external drive as technically all you're doing is backing up licensed content you've already purchased or are at least the legal owner of.

did not know that. My kids just download stuff from Netflix before they leave and watch offline.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭feedthegoat

Completed land bridge thru UK yesterday and to Clary's Place today. UK traffic worse yday. Journey wasn't as bad as expected, manageable. The two fast ferries to Holyhead and then Cherbourg were great - no issues at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Completed land bridge thru UK yesterday and to Clary's Place today. UK traffic worse yday. Journey wasn't as bad as expected, manageable. The two fast ferries to Holyhead and then Cherbourg were great - no issues at all.
    Well done. How long was the journey through the UK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Sky go and Netflix limit you in that you have to stream or you have to download stuff to different devices if not streaming.

It would be great to have 1 device that holds all content and then users could log into an app and stream from it, from wherever they themselves left off. Another user could log in and watch the same film from a different location. It would come into its own when you don't have wifi on holidays or on long car journeys.

Netflix is fine on different devices but I found stuff expired quickly and the only way to get it renewed was to connect to an internet provider and then go again. With young kids it becomes awkward and more hassle than it is worth.

First Up wrote: »

Holyhead to Portsmouth, 6h30m driving approx, took M6 toll, alot of slow moving roadworks from Manchester.

Holyhead to Portsmouth, 6h30m driving approx, took M6 toll, alot of slow moving roadworks from Manchester.
    That's about as fast as you could hope for, so you did well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

I’ll be traveling Holyhead to Birmingham on Friday. Was thinking of M6 as opposed to the A5. (Google maps gives a similar journey time for both) staying in Birmingham then onto Dover following day. Which way would you recommend?

I’ll be traveling Holyhead to Birmingham on Friday. Was thinking of M6 as opposed to the A5. (Google maps gives a similar journey time for both) staying in Birmingham then onto Dover following day. Which way would you recommend?
    The A5 is a much nicer drive if not in a hurry. Not many overtaking places but on a Fiday in July, the caravans will be mostly going the opposite diection.

Even if in a hurry, the motorway is always risky for accidents and the roadworks mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

The A5 is a much nicer drive if not in a hurry. Not many overtaking places but on a Fiday in July, the caravans will be mostly going the opposite diection.

Even if in a hurry, the motorway is always risky for accidents and the roadworks mentioned.

The Mrs is in England and it took her 5hrs to get from Birmingham to Liverpool yesterday afternoon using m6 a total nightmare..

The Mrs is in England and it took her 5hrs to get from Birmingham to Liverpool yesterday afternoon using m6 a total nightmare..
    Horrendous. The traffic reports usually warn people to avoid the motorways but if you are already on it, you can be stuck for hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭molly dolly

Personally speaking we went from Paris to Rosscoff last weekend of July once. Awful awful traffic French schools closed Paris shuts down in August and everyone was getting out. We just about made the Ferry with only one fuel and quick toilet stop. Tg I had a picnic packed so just kept feeding kids as we went. We had left extra early to do a few touristy bits which saved us but at one stag we were considering doing landbridge home.

Himself is a cider drinker. Prefers Orchards thieves to bulmers which he thinks is too sweet absolutely loves the french ciders. So reasonabe too. Always bring some home and save some to make mulled cider with at christmas.

Wouldn't have the knowledge to give that advice, this was our first time to land bridge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

Nice clear run down to Rosslare from the north today, busy around M50 but no apparent roadworks near Wexford/Rosslare and even Enniscorthy was quiet.

We left early enough so we were probably at the front of the boat traffic

Advertisement