Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭kindalen

Irish ferries cancelled ferry to Dublin again. Epsilon not sailing this Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

kindalen wrote: »

This year is shaping up to be particularly bad for travellers.
    between the ryanair strikes, french air traffic controllers and boats not finished / broken down. Major stress!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

This year is shaping up to be particularly bad for travellers.
    between the ryanair strikes, french air traffic controllers and boats not finished / broken down. Major stress!

Could bode well for next years pricing as the airlines and ferry operators may have to offer discounts to stimulate demand from people who may be hesitant to rely on them, particularly IF!! (Always looking for a silver lining :o )

Could bode well for next years pricing as the airlines and ferry operators may have to offer discounts to stimulate demand from people who may be hesitant to rely on them, particularly IF!! (Always looking for a silver lining :o )

I dont know mate, yesterdays bread is soon forgotten and all that.
    I had been hesitant to fly into france this year, and had actually went so far as to fly to barcelona and drive up the year before. Said I'd take a chance this year and fly to perpignan, when like clockwork , the ATC strike loomed large.
    I understand people have to fight for their rights etc, but i really does seem like the universe hates you when it happens around the only big family holiday you have that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

On what route?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

wall wrote: »
    I incorrectly said in my post about Aloha that it was double the price of La Bois Dormant last year, this is not so. My maths weren’t great yesterday. One reason it’s more here is because we’re here 2.5 weeks as opposed to 2 weeks last year in the Siblu site. It’s worked out at €164/day here in Aloha compared to €128/day last year in La Bois Dormant.

Regarding Decathlon, last year I bought a bike here in France from there and brought it home as I had a bike rack on anyway, when I checked the online price at home there wasn’t much in the difference, possibly €20. A quick check online now comparing prices to in-store here showed very little or no difference.

We are just back from Yelloh Village Le Sérignan Plage. Right next door to Aloha.
    Ended up costing €128 per day for the accommodation.
    Well worth it.

Place is amazing
    Entertainment was top class. Great band last Sunday night!
    Pools great with a great area for younger kids up to about 6
    Real good lagoon pool with 4 slides
    Amazing new slides area with 5 slides in total. They are building a BMX track too.

2 5 a side soccer pitches and running track, 2 tennis courts. Great village area with shops, 3 bars, indoor swimming pool, bakery, restaurants, butchers, fishmongers and even a hairdresser and bikini shop! Adult only spa area with large pool and some great jacuzzi pools etc.
    All Situated right on an amazing beach. The whole park is situated in a beautifully nature reserve. It's not to large and getting from the further cabins to the beach is about a 10 minutes walk max.

1 HR 10 minutes from Carcassonne airport

Loathe to recommend it as it will probably fill up with Irish over the next few years!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Took OW to Cherbourg going out. Stayed in Croix de vieux pont . Loved it. Great for any age group. Back from Calais to Dover as we'd never done that before. Ferry only 90 mins. Then drove through UK heading for Pembroke. Stayed overnight near Newbury in a lovely inn\hotel. Long journey but manageable. Something different anyway. There's a grand big outlet centre in Bridgend after Cardiff on motorway. Had a nice lunch and some speedy shopping!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭kindalen

First Up wrote: »
    On what route?

Cherbourg-Dublin

First Up wrote: »
    On what route?

Cherbourg-Dublin
    Don't see anything about it on Irish Ferries website. Strange.

• Advertisement

Thanks - what a shambles. Still don't see anything on the IF website. They have something about the Ulysses being cancelled but nothing about the consequent impact on the French service.

Unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭raddo

Hi all. Currently in le clarys plage and loving it. Heading home via roscoff on Friday and looking to stop in a decathlon store. Was thinking of going to the one in Morlaix but don't know what size it is. Anyone know or can recommend a large store on the way?? Cheers

raddo wrote: »
    Hi all. Currently in le clarys plage and loving it. Heading home via roscoff on Friday and looking to stop in a decathlon store. Was thinking of going to the one in Morlaix but don't know what size it is. Anyone know or can recommend a large store on the way?? Cheers

right up the road from you in challans, theres a pretty big one. , you'd be there in 20 minutes from Clarys plage, we often called there when we stayed in St Jean De Monts.

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Decathlon+Challans/@46.8372936,-1.8735015,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xd236df6afae52970!8m2!3d46.8372936!4d-1.8735015

Edit,

we also went to this one in La Roche sur yon, very big also, and has a seperate building for outdoor pursuits such as hunting, fishing, etc.
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Decathlon+La+Roche-sur-Yon/@46.6915824,-1.4331709,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x48042fca712193f1:0xa432ceb2731b2677!8m2!3d46.6915824!4d-1.4309822

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Very large store and is directly on your route so you don't have to go out of your way at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭raddo

Very large store and is directly on your route so you don't have to go out of your way at all.

In Morlaix?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

In Morlaix?

Sorry, ya in Morlaix. Right after you turn off for Roscoff there is one there at the roundabout. Huge Decathlon store there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi all,
    Quick question, tyre feiced on rental car and needs replacing. Went to citreon garage and they looking for over 200 for replacement. Tyre place in dol de bretagne 130. Seems about right. I have carhire excess policy so should be able to claim something back? On spare till Friday but had no major trips planned anyways.
    Thanks,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

Hi all,
    Quick question, tyre feiced on rental car and needs replacing. Went to citreon garage and they looking for over 200 for replacement. Tyre place in dol de bretagne 130. Seems about right. I have carhire excess policy so should be able to claim something back? On spare till Friday but had no major trips planned anyways.
    Thanks,
    Mick

Do you know if you have an excess on your excess policy?
    You may still be liable for the first 100-200.
    That seems like a reasonable cost for a standard sized ordinary tyre.
    If you can, replace with the same brand/type so that the car hire company don't try to do you over later.

josip wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Thanks,
    Mick

Do you know if you have an excess on your excess policy?
    You may still be liable for the first 100-200.
    That seems like a reasonable cost for a standard sized ordinary tyre.
    If you can, replace with the same brand/type so that the car hire company don't try to do you over later.
    Yep same tyre brand etc.. Just bad luck I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Do you have excess with the care hire company of your own 3rd party policy?  If a 3rd party excess policy then check if they have an excess as the ones I use do not. If this is the case do not fix the tyre, let them charge your credit card and get a full refund from from the excess insurance company.

• Advertisement

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Do you have excess with the care hire company of your own 3rd party policy?  If a 3rd party excess policy then check if they have an excess as the ones I use do not. If this is the case do not fix the tyre, let them charge your credit card and get a full refund from from the excess insurance company.
    They can't fix anyway as sidewall is damaged. I used carhire excess.ie

When you say don't fix you mean get new tyre and charge back to insurance? That's what I'm hoping to do if no excess applies.
    Thanks,
    Mick

BailMeOut wrote: »

When you say don't fix you mean get new tyre and charge back to insurance? That's what I'm hoping to do if no excess applies.
    Thanks,
    Mick
    I'll have to put new tyre on as don't want to drive to nante with the spare

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Thanks,
    Mick

Before you go to the hassle of trying to make a claim for €130 (if that's what you end up paying for the new tyre) check your carhireexcess.ie policy to make sure punctured tyres are covered as "accidental" rather than being defined as "consumable" in the same way if a window wiper needed replacing it probably isn't covered.

The carhireexcess.ie FAQ's state that what's covered is "Damage to the rental vehicle (including windows, tyres and wheels, headlights, the undercarriage and roof) caused by fire, vandalism, accident and theft and also loss of use of the rental vehicle is covered." which is slightly obtuse language but reads to me like it's only damage caused by "fire, vandalism, accident and theft" which is covered.

Also, would making a claim against the car hire excess policy require you to declare that when renewing your regular car policy back home and if so would that have a negative impact on your premium going forward which would outweigh the benefit of claiming €130? I renewed my car policy recently and IIRC I had to confirm that I hadn't made any claim of any sort, including windscreen cover, off any car related insurance policy in the last 5 years.

Might be worth thinking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Before you go to the hassle of trying to make a claim for €130 (if that's what you end up paying for the new tyre) check your carhireexcess.ie policy to make sure punctured tyres are covered as "accidental" rather than being defined as "consumable" in the same way if a window wiper needed replacing it probably isn't covered.

The carhireexcess.ie FAQ's state that what's covered is "Damage to the rental vehicle (including windows, tyres and wheels, headlights, the undercarriage and roof) caused by fire, vandalism, accident and theft and also loss of use of the rental vehicle is covered." which is slightly obtuse language but reads to me like it's only damage caused by "fire, vandalism, accident and theft" which is covered.

Also, would making a claim against the car hire excess policy require you to declare that when renewing your regular car policy back home and if so would that have a negative impact on your premium going forward which would outweigh the benefit of claiming €130? I renewed my car policy recently and IIRC I had to confirm that I hadn't made any claim of any sort, including windscreen cover, off any car related insurance policy in the last 5 years.

It doesnt affect your policy at home. I made a claim for 160 last year for damage to the car that we didnt do. This year we got the person to inspect the car with us before hand and took pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Martina.cullen

Hi all, just looking for some advise - we've holidayed in Les Charmettes for the last number of years but considering La Carabasse this year due to flight availability , just wondering how does La Carabasse compare - my kids aged 16 & 10 love Les Charmettes but I want to try somewhere new...hoping to go on the 28th July for a week...wud it be very hot at this time of year in La Carabasse ?
    Ta

Hi all, just looking for some advise - we've holidayed in Les Charmettes for the last number of years but considering La Carabasse this year due to flight availability , just wondering how does La Carabasse compare - my kids aged 16 & 10 love Les Charmettes but I want to try somewhere new...hoping to go on the 28th July for a week...wud it be very hot at this time of year in La Carabasse ?
    Ta

Hi,
    We were les charmettes for the last 5 years and currently in la carabasse.

Town is .25k from the site so a nice walk.
    Beach is really nice.
    Pool area is different to les charmettes, as there is a big pool for the kids to play in and then a deeper pool for adults and older kids.
    Same slides and splash.zone.

Kids club are the same and the same high standard. Not sure whats available for 16 year old, but late night entertainment is available.

Tennis courts are on site but no crazy golf on site. Europark funfair is good and the 16 year would love it. Pm me if you want. We leave la carabasse on sat.

If flying from toulouse, the toll is 60 euro each way but your on it for most of the journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Baybay

...just wondering how does La Carabasse compare - my kids aged 16 & 10 love Les Charmettes but I want to try somewhere new...hoping to go on the 28th July for a week...wud it be very hot at this time of year in La Carabasse ?
    Ta

Hi Martina, although we've holidayed in both & enjoyed both, it is some years ago now so I'll leave someone else to advise on the camps, other than to say La Carabasse is well within walking distance to the beach, if that's something that appeals.
    The weather should be hot then. Today is one of the cooler ones we've had in the area recently & as I write, it's 29 degrees. Yesterday was 34-36. Generally, you can expect temperatures in the 28-35 range this time of year, sometimes a little higher but rarely lower.

It doesnt affect your policy at home. I made a claim for 160 last year for damage to the car that we didnt do. This year we got the person to inspect the car with us before hand and took pics.
    Thanks we took pictures as well. Was surprised that when giving us the car they highlighted some scratches on the doors and one alloy. Barely noticeable when I checked. Hiring car seems more hassle in France than the US. Anytime I'm there it's very relaxed

Thanks we took pictures as well. Was surprised that when giving us the car they highlighted some scratches on the doors and one alloy. Barely noticeable when I checked. Hiring car seems more hassle in France than the US. Anytime I'm there it's very relaxed

Avis were the ones we had a bad experience. So would recommend people avoid them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Just a question to those who changed from driving / ferry to fly / car hire basis. How did you cope with the restrictions on luggage etc. ? I know when we go the car is always full plus bikes on back etc. Obviously bikes can be hired on site but it still must be a major change ?

Advertisement