Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

First Up wrote: »
    That's a very long drive alright. Wouldn't blame you for flying. But do you have to go so far south to find somewhere nice?

Reason we went south was to get great weather. Further up its too much of wondering what will tomorrow be like. Instead we knew it be sunny and over 31 degrees. Pure heaven.

mikerd4 wrote: »
    Was in carabasse same time as yourself so.  We said this was the last ysar for France but enjoyed it so much we are tempted to go again next year.  Likely to fly though as its a touch too far imho to drive again. . Although would miss the bootful of wine

We flew into toulouse. The energy from the kids entertainment was brilliant, even had me doing the Sundance. Met a good few irish and my daughter and son had a ball with all their new friends they made. All great kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

That's a very long drive alright. Wouldn't blame you for flying. But do you have to go so far south to find somewhere nice?

Reason we went south was to get great weather. Further up its too much of wondering what will tomorrow be like. Instead we knew it be sunny and over 31 degrees. Pure heaven.
    Fair enough, although I've found summer weather in Normandy, Brittany (apart from Finistere), and Loire to be as warm and sunny as you could ask for.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerd4

This year aside due to the european heatwave, normally the weather is mich more inconsistant further north.

• Advertisement

mikerd4 wrote: »
    This year aside due to the european heatwave, normally the weather is mich more inconsistant further north.

Its your call but 25/26 in Northern/Western France suits me more than 33+ down south, no matter the odd cloudy/windy day.

But each to his own.

Its your call but 25/26 in Northern/Western France suits me more than 33+ down south, no matter the odd cloudy/windy day.

But each to his own.

Exactly its different for all of us. Once we all enjoy it, thats all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Jambalaya

Hi

Can I ask what is probably a very stupid question please?

We have been going to France for years but this is our first year bringing our bikes as our youngest is finally old enough for longer cycles.

Anyway, we have a rear mounted cycle carrier and a reg plate. We have to buy a lighting board and were looking at one online in Halfords.

My question for those more experienced than us is where do we look in our car to see if we have a lighting socket to just plug the thing in rather than having to do anything else.

Thanks in advance.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Jambalaya wrote: »
    Hi

We have been going to France for years but this is our first year bringing our bikes as our youngest is finally old enough for longer cycles.

Anyway, we have a rear mounted cycle carrier and a reg plate. We have to buy a lighting board and were looking at one online in Halfords.

My question for those more experienced than us is where do we look in our car to see if we have a lighting socket to just plug the thing in rather than having to do anything else.

Thanks in advance.

You need a lightning socket installed, a similar type that caravan or trailer users need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Eurocamp removed the stereo with iPod docking at our site so bring your own sounds if you want to listen to music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Hi

Thanks in advance.
    Check by the towbar if you have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Hi

We're going to la Sirene in two weeks. Staying with lifestyle platinum.

How are the facilities there?

Thanks, we've no towbar so looks like we'd have to install a socket, ugh. Seeing as we nearly get divorced every year when we are packing up the car, I don't fancy our chances at installing it ourselves. Maybe we'll just take the wheels off the bikes instead ....

We were in La Sirene five years ago. Excellent facilities and most things including archery were free. They have improved more since we were there, more pools etc. The mobiles were quite close together but didn't bother us. (I was also there in 1994 as a teenager and had a great time).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,952 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Thanks, we've no towbar so looks like we'd have to install a socket, ugh. Seeing as we nearly get divorced every year when we are packing up the car, I don't fancy our chances at installing it ourselves. Maybe we'll just take the wheels off the bikes instead ....

We were in La Sirene five years ago. Excellent facilities and most things including archery were free. They have improved more since we were there, more pools etc. The mobiles were quite close together but didn't bother us. (I was also there in 1994 as a teenager and had a great time).
    Depending on the car, this may need to be done by a dealer because they have activate the lights on the car's computer. Certainly not a DIY job unless you are very competent. It might even require bumper removal.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭molly dolly

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Eurocamp removed the stereo with iPod docking at our site so bring your own sounds if you want to listen to music.

we've been going eurocamp since 2007. All the little extras have been wound back. They used to offer excellent soccer camps etc in some camps but got rid 3 years ago. But their prices are rising alot. So this year we've opted to go campotel. Huge price difference for same camp site.

we've been going eurocamp since 2007. All the little extras have been wound back. They used to offer excellent soccer camps etc in some camps but got rid 3 years ago. But their prices are rising alot. So this year we've opted to go campotel. Huge price difference for same camp site.

We've noticed the same. You used to get a present before going such as a beach bag and then wine and playing cards in your mobile when you arrived. Now nothing.

We are trying siblu for the first time this year. Significant price difference for what seems to be a superior mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭micks_address

We've noticed the same. You used to get a present before going such as a beach bag and then wine and playing cards in your mobile when you arrived. Now nothing.

We are trying siblu for the first time this year. Significant price difference for what seems to be a superior mobile.
    I'm sure others have looked at it but what is the best time to book with euro camp? This is our second year at les Ormes and it's great. The weather has been something else. I know it's not guaranteed but with a new indoor pool on the way for 2019 we could be tempted to come here again. We are interested in the nature huts offered by les Ormes but our daughter would miss the euro camp kids camps. Last year we booked the week we got home for the supposed 30 percent loyalty offer. We paid around 1600 this year for 3 bedroom espace with deck.. Not sure if that's a good price for 12 nights.
    Thanks,
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Quazzie wrote: »
    Depending on the car, this may need to be done by a dealer because they have activate the lights on the car's computer. Certainly not a DIY job unless you are very competent. It might even require bumper removal.

It is not a diy job. In older cars a wire could be attached to the rear socket but in newer cars a wire has to be fed back from the front of the car, computer sorted, etc. For a ball hitch and socket you are talking around €500 for it to be installed. The bumper had to be cut away from mine but the mechanic did a very neat job.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,952 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

It is not a diy job. In older cars a wire could be attached to the rear socket but in newer cars a wire has to be fed back from the front of the car, computer sorted, etc. For a ball hitch and socket you are talking around €500 for it to be installed. The bumper had to be cut away from mine but the mechanic did a very neat job.

The poster never mentioned installing a towbar, just the socket. All they need is the additional piece of loom. and then to have it programmed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The poster never mentioned installing a towbar, just the socket. All they need is the additional piece of loom. and then to have it programmed

Even without the towbar it is not a cheap job.

• Advertisement

Even without the towbar it is not a cheap job.
    This might be a silly question but has the poster checked if there is a power socket in the boot area? Many cars do - the Manual should say.

This might be a silly question but has the poster checked if there is a power socket in the boot area? Many cars do - the Manual should say.

A 12v socket like in the cigarette lighter? That won't help them with running a tail board. They need the external one that's located by the towbar. That one is tied back to the brake lights on and indicators to give the correct signals to the tailboard lights.

A 12v socket like in the cigarette lighter? That won't help them with running a tail board. They need the external one that's located by the towbar. That one is tied back to the brake lights on and indicators to give the correct signals to the tailboard lights.
    Fair enough. I've never needed my boot power socket so it hasn't arisen.

Cars have been powering trailers and such for a long time so I'd have though sorting the electrics is well understood.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Ah just noticed no wine this year either!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭fear corcaigh

First time heading to France soon. Booked with Eurocamp 2 and 4 kids. A nephew of mine is interested in coming. We have room in the car and in the cabins on the boat for an extra person, obviously just need to book them on the boat.

My question is do I need to declare this extra child with Eurocamp. The accommodation in the park we have is 3 bedroom and has the room for the extra child. Does the cabin price increase if we add an extra child. Is there benefits to having the child declared, like being excluded from activities if not named on the iteniry.

Cars have been powering trailers and such for a long time so I'd have though sorting the electrics is well understood.

It's more complicated than ever now, gone are the days of splicing into a Cars existing wiring and off you go, there's a lot more involved these days as its far more electronics based and beyond the scope of what a handyman could hook up.

It's more complicated than ever now, gone are the days of splicing into a Cars existing wiring and off you go, there's a lot more involved these days as its far more electronics based and beyond the scope of what a handyman could hook up.
    I suppose so, but the modern car comes with so many features I'd have thought this was a given. Charge points, USB ports, sat navs, reverse cameras, sensors and the like have been standard fittings on many cars for a good few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭treascon

First time heading to France soon. Booked with Eurocamp 2 and 4 kids. A nephew of mine is interested in coming. We have room in the car and in the cabins on the boat for an extra person, obviously just need to book them on the boat.

My question is do I need to declare this extra child with Eurocamp. The accommodation in the park we have is 3 bedroom and has the room for the extra child. Does the cabin price increase if we add an extra child. Is there benefits to having the child declared, like being excluded from activities if not named on the iteniry.

Yes you do need to declare the extra person to Eurocamp. We did similar 2 years ago and the extra fee was approx €35.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭fear corcaigh

Thank you.
    treascon wrote: »
    Yes you do need to declare the extra person to Eurocamp. We did similar 2 years ago and the extra fee was approx €35.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for the replies. We've checked the boot and manual and no joy unfortunately. We've decided to just bring the kids' bikes and hire ones for us. We're not serious cyclists, just for fun so a hire bike will be fine. The kids' bikes don't block our lights or indicators so we'll just attach our reg plate to the carrier.

We'll look into getting a socket fitted at another stage (halfords sell one that they say is easy to install but when you read the revjews it definitely is not!).

To the poster who asked about the best time to book eurocamp-the early booking deal is very good but i have found that there are "sales" throughout the year that tend to match that discount. We actually booked through the german site last year and made very significant savings. The savings are more significant for areas of France less popular with German tourists, e.g. the vendee. We also priced the dutch site as well so it's a good idea to check all of the different eurocamp websites for the best deal.

Advertisement