Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Jambalaya wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the replies. We've checked the boot and manual and no joy unfortunately. We've decided to just bring the kids' bikes and hire ones for us. We're not serious cyclists, just for fun so a hire bike will be fine. The kids' bikes don't block our lights or indicators so we'll just attach our reg plate to the carrier.

We'll look into getting a socket fitted at another stage (halfords sell one that they say is easy to install but when you read the revjews it definitely is not!).

To the poster who asked about the best time to book eurocamp-the early booking deal is very good but i have found that there are "sales" throughout the year that tend to match that discount.  We actually booked through the german site last year and made very significant savings. The savings are more significant for areas of France less popular with German tourists, e.g. the vendee. We also priced the dutch site as well so it's a good idea to check all of the different eurocamp websites for the best deal.

All modern cars will require additional relay box for trailer lights as the existing loom wont be able to handle the extra lights being added. For the sake of a few extra quid, please get somebody who knows what they're at to do the job. the lads in Halfords may be helpful but they're salespeople not auto electricians.... The last thing you want is for the car to loose all rear lights because some control unit thinks there's a major problem and shuts them down. It all to do with the cars canbus system running a check for blown bulbs, these relay boxes effectively sense when the light is on and diverts a different live feed to the trailer light plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Ladyinthedark

I’m writing this to let everyone aware of what happened to a young couple with three young kids that paid for there fair and cabin only to board the ferry and be told there’s no cabin and the consequences were they sleep on the chairs and the ground with no pillows offered or blankets .i have tried ringing them and since they said they would ring back they haven’t and refunded 40 euro which doesn’t even cover the cabin what an absolute disgraceful company I’m looking to tell this story to the paper and radio I’m just so upset for them it was there first holiday away . Does anyone know what else I can do to get them to respond

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

I thought they had something robbed from their Cabin based on the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I thought it was about their prices during the summer season!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Did they explain why thee was no cabin ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭Jennehy

ted1 wrote: »

They were obviously full :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

ted1 wrote: »

They are running without 2 ships at the moment. The new ship that was due on Dublin - France this summer has not been delivered yet and to add to it the main Dublin - Holyhead ship Ulysees has had a serious mechanical failure so has been off getting repaired.

The suggestion is that the fault has been an issue for a while but they were waiting for the new ship before taking Ulysees out of service for a repair, with that not happening the fault got critical and they had no choice but to withdraw the ship in the middle of the high season.

Passengers on cancelled sailings should have been contacted but they may not have done so with passengers for their Ulysees Holyhead sailings which did operate with a lower capacity ship that normally runs the second Holyhead sailing and Dublin - France at weekends.

They have handled all of this really badly, not leaving any wiggle room with a new build, particularly one that was the largest ever made by that shipyard. Also not biting the bullet and securing a replacement ship when one was available to deal with the mechanical issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You normally know your cabin number before you board so the regular procedure is that you just go to your cabin where you'll find the door is open and the key is left on one of the bunks. But I guess with the current problems they're having, they probably promised the OP that a cabin would be allocated when they got on board but failed to deliver.

Talk to Joe, though I doubt that Irish Ferries' reputation can sink (sic) any lower than where it is at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Hi all, currently in La Croix du Vieux Pont (again!), it’s as exceptional as ever, just a note on the best time to book, I know it’s not to everyones liking but if you like taking a risk and leave it until the last minute my sister came from the UK and booked with Canvas only last week. She picked up a 2 bed lodge (sleeps 8) including ferry from Dover to Calais for £850 for 7 nights. They offered a standard 2 bed cosy mobile inc ferry for £650!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

On the OW right now! There was a bottle of wine and a box of chocolates in our cabin to apologise for the WB Yeats fiasco, which is something I guess.

Cinema listing for anyone wondering:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

loyatemu wrote: »
    On the OW right now! There was a bottle of wine and a box of chocolates in our cabin to apologise for the WB Yeats fiasco, which is something I guess.

Is the wine and chocolates in every cabin or is it only for people who were originally booked on the Yeats?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Hi all, currently in La Croix du Vieux Pont (again!), it’s as exceptional as ever, just a note on the best time to book, I know it’s not to everyones liking but if you like taking a risk and leave it until the last minute my sister came from the UK and booked with Canvas only last week. She picked up a 2 bed lodge (sleeps 8) including ferry from Dover to Calais for £850 for 7 nights. They offered a standard 2 bed cosy mobile inc ferry for £650!

Currently there aswell, first time. Very nice site, the pitches are Huge, biggest I've ever come across.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

PCX wrote: »
    loyatemu wrote: »

Is the wine and chocolates in every cabin or is it only for people who were originally booked on the Yeats?

I'd guess just the people affected, we were due to return on the WBY.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Natibaby

We are just back from Yelloh Village Le Sérignan Plage. Right next door to Aloha.
    Ended up costing €128 per day for the accommodation.
    Well worth it.

Place is amazing
    Entertainment was top class. Great band last Sunday night!
    Pools great with a great area for younger kids up to about 6
    Real good lagoon pool with 4 slides
    Amazing new slides area with 5 slides in total. They are building a BMX track too.

2 5 a side soccer pitches and running track, 2 tennis courts. Great village area with shops, 3 bars, indoor swimming pool, bakery, restaurants, butchers, fishmongers and even a hairdresser and bikini shop! Adult only spa area with large pool and some great jacuzzi pools etc.
    All Situated right on an amazing beach. The whole park is situated in a beautifully nature reserve. It's not to large and getting from the further cabins to the beach is about a 10 minutes walk max.

1 HR 10 minutes from Carcassonne airport

Loathe to recommend it as it will probably fill up with Irish over the next few years!!

Just back from there too, we had an amazing time, the majority of people there were French but was surprised by the amount of Irish and the lack of British.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Currently there aswell, first time. Very nice site, the pitches are Huge, biggest I've ever come across.

Typical Liverpool fan, everything is always about football ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Charliebull

just back from Grand Met (second year in a row there) and as usual had a ball

Looking at next years trip

Has anyone stayed in Point St Giles in Benodet

Has anyone done the Brittany Ferries and Camp Site accommodation option

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Natibaby wrote: »
    Just back from there too, we had an amazing time, the majority of people there were French but was surprised by the amount of Irish and the lack of British.

We were there last week June and first week of July
    We only meet 2 other Irish families - lots of German, Belgium and French families

It really is exceptional and seems similar priced to other sites that people mention on here. However I think its just such a natural site and in such a great location that sets it out from others
    We have been to a site in Lake Garda and to Cambrils Park in Spain and that was amazing but not a patch on Le Sérignan Plage

The staff were great and always smiling and there was lots to do for kids and adults. A great package overall

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Jambalaya

coylemj wrote: »
    You normally know your cabin number before you board so the regular procedure is that you just go to your cabin where you'll find the door is open and the key is left on one of the bunks. But I guess with the current problems they're having, they probably promised the OP that a cabin would be allocated when they got on board but failed to deliver.

Talk to Joe, though I doubt that Irish Ferries' reputation can sink (sic) any lower than where it is at the moment.

Not on Irish Ferries. You get a paper keycard on check in at the booth before you get on the ship. Your cabin number is printed on the email confirming your booking. So if you haven't been allocated a cabin prior to arriving at the port I would worry.

Saying that there was one year we arrived to our cabin and there was a sign telling us to go to reception. Someone had vomitted in the cabin on the sailing over and they couldn't get rid of the smell so they moved our cabin. I guess if that happened this year the option would be stinky cabin or seats!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

We are torn between La Pointe St. Gilles and Les Mouettes for next year - I like how close Les Mouettes is to Roschoff but am wondering if La Pointe St. Gilles has more to do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Has anyone done the Brittany Ferries and Camp Site accommodation option

We were in St Giles first 2 weeks of June this year. Its a lovely campsite and the town and seafront is really nice. There are pools, but the water was too cold for us (kids are 1 & 3).
    Eurocamp have kids clubs, looked good, but ours were only in smallest one which was pretty much arts and crafts. They loved it.
    I would say a lot depend on age of kids. The entertainment in evening's is v simple, aimed at under 6 of say. Was perfect for us.

I've seen mention of full cabaret shows on other sites (not my cup of tea, but essential for some ppl).

And it's a handy enough drive from roscoff.
    Weather is also pretty unreliable, as pretty far north.

If search function works for you, I know there's been a couple of mentions on the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭micks_address

Anyone been to Le Pin Parasol Campsite Lac-du-Jaunay?
    Just booked for next July. Love les Ormes in northern brittany but needed a change.
    Thanks,
    Mick

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Heading to French campsite this year for the first time. Possibly silly question but I was assuming I'll load up the car with all our beach stuff for the beach.. wind breakers, fold up chairs etc.. maybe get a fold up cart for lugging stuff... I presume that's a good idea... right??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

spockety wrote: »
    Heading to French campsite this year for the first time. Possibly silly question but I was assuming I'll load up the car with all our beach stuff for the beach.. wind breakers, fold up chairs etc.. maybe get a fold up cart for lugging stuff... I presume that's a good idea... right??

If you want it, and can fit it in the car, then yeah, that pretty much the biggest advantage of travelling with your own car!

just remember - every additional item you bring, displaces an equivalent amount of wine that you can bring back!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

If you want it, and can fit it in the car, then yeah, that pretty much the biggest advantage of travelling with your own car!

just remember - every additional item you bring, displaces an equivalent amount of wine that you can bring back!

Create extra room in the car by leaving the kids behind in the camp site.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

josip wrote: »
    Create extra room in the car by leaving the kids behind in the camp site.

Also remember for the wine, there is room under the kids feet!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

throw out the kids car seats and get them to sit on a case of wine each.

booze-ster seats if you will.........

I'll get my coat. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

We flew to France and have a good tip for 'stuff' you might want to bring for the kids and beach etc

we purchased a buggy travel bag and used it to hold booster seats and our larger 'stuff' on the plane
    similar to this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0773V8X3J/ref=sspa_dk_detail_5?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B0773V8X3J&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=2784349025056798016&pf_rd_r=3HDWPWG04B8AB0M6JEQQ&pd_rd_wg=LOjux&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_w=jGCyZ&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pd_rd_r=837a258e-8c07-11e8-a2e6-c55a064349a9

we packed in 2 high back car seats, buckets and spades, footballs, snorkels & masks etc, a fold up beach umbrella and windbreak, beach seats etc etc.

All this was checked in free of charge to oversize luggage on our Ryanair flight - really handy for getting the 'stuff' to and from our holiday

No good for wine but as we are not big wine drinkers we dont mind at all

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭molly dolly

the 14 year old is whinging about this now!!! Don't know how this short arse ended up with such tall leggy kids

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭micks_address

Anyone been to Le Pin Parasol Campsite Lac-du-Jaunay?
    Just booked for next July. Love les Ormes in northern brittany but needed a change.
    Thanks,
    Mick
    Hi folks,
    Just noticed eurocamp don't run the kids clubs at le pin. Daughter is cracked on the kids camps. Anyone have experience of the camp run ones in le pin?
    Thanks,
    Mick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

home, car unpacked and whole family miserable and already talking about doing 3 weeks next year!

Advertisement