Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

BailMeOut wrote: »
    home, car unpacked and whole family miserable and already talking about doing 3 weeks next year!

Just home aswell. Contemplating a month next year, 2 weeks down south, 2 weeks Vendee.... such a great holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Tarbyonline

Vic_08 wrote: »
    They are running without 2 ships at the moment. The new ship that was due on Dublin - France this summer has not been delivered yet and to add to it the main Dublin - Holyhead ship Ulysees has had a serious mechanical failure so has been off getting repaired.

The suggestion is that the fault has been an issue for a while but they were waiting for the new ship before taking Ulysees out of service for a repair, with that not happening the fault got critical and they had no choice but to withdraw the ship in the middle of the high season.

Passengers on cancelled sailings should have been contacted but they may not have done so with passengers for their Ulysees Holyhead sailings which did operate with a lower capacity ship that normally runs the second Holyhead sailing and Dublin - France at weekends.

They have handled all of this really badly, not leaving any wiggle room with a new build, particularly one that was the largest ever made by that shipyard. Also not biting the bullet and securing a replacement ship when one was available to deal with the mechanical issues.
    Anyone delayed or cancelled due to the numerous issues with Irish Ferries (including passengers sailing between Dublin and France who are now cancelled as their vessel is required for Holyhead!) may be entitled to compensation under EU rules. Irish Ferries of course will avoid telling people this, and do whatever they can to avoid paying out. Its even buried in their own terms and conditions on their website as follows.
    "23. Passengers are referred to the provisions of Regulation 1177 of 2010.

(Cant share the link as a new user, but google it)

24. The Carrier will inform passengers as soon as possible of a cancelled or delayed sailing, and in any event no later than 30 minutes after the scheduled departure time. For delayed sailings passengers will also be informed of the new estimated departure and arrival times as soon as that information is available. If a cancelled or delayed sailing will cause a passenger to miss a connecting transport service, the Carrier shall make reasonable efforts to inform the affected passengers of alternative connections. Such information on cancelled or delayed sailings or alternative connections where required shall be provided in accessible formats to any disabled persons and persons with reduced mobility.

25. In the event of a cancelled sailing or delayed sailing likely to exceed 90 minutes after the scheduled departure time, passengers will be offered free of charge snacks, meals or refreshments in reasonable relation to the waiting time provided they are available or can reasonably be supplied. Unless such cancellation or delay is caused by weather conditions endangering the safe operation of the ship, where and when physically possible, passengers will also be offered free of charge adequate accommodation on board the vessel or ashore, including any transport required from the port terminal to such accommodation, where the cancellation or delay makes it necessary for a passenger to stay one or more nights beyond that originally intended by the passenger. Where provided ashore, the total cost of such accommodation shall not exceed a maximum of EUR 80 per night per passenger, for a maximum of three nights. All refunds will be based on approved receipted expenditure.
    (See also our Passenger Charter on disrupted travel)

26. In the event of a cancelled sailing or delayed sailing likely to exceed 90 minutes after the scheduled departure time, passengers will also be offered the choice between (a) re-routing to the final destination under comparable conditions as set out in these Conditions of Travel at the earliest opportunity and at no additional cost, or (b) reimbursement of the ticket price, [and where relevant, a return service free of charge to the first point of departure at the earliest opportunity]. Such reimbursement of the ticket price at the full cost as purchased shall be made within 7 days in cash, by electronic bank transfer, bank order or bank cheque. Alternatively, if the passenger agrees, the full reimbursement may also be paid in the form of vouchers and/or other flexible services in an amount equivalent to the price for which the ticket was purchased.

27. Unless any cancellation or delay is caused by weather conditions endangering the safe operation of the ship, passengers without losing the right to transport may request compensation from the Carrier if facing a delay in arrival at the final destination. The minimum level of compensation shall be 25% of the ticket price paid for a delay of a least: (i) one hour in case of a scheduled journey of up to four hours; (ii) two hours in case of a scheduled journey of more than four hours, but not exceeding 8 hours; (iii) three hours in case of a scheduled journey of more than eight hours, but not exceeding 24 hours; or (iv) six hours in case of a scheduled journey of more than 24 hours. If the delay exceeds double the time set out above the compensation shall be 50% of the ticket price.

28. The Carrier or the Master may (notwithstanding any booking previously made) refuse to carry any passenger or luggage on any sailing for any cause relating to the safety of the vessel or any property on board the vessel or to the safety comfort or convenience of any other passenger or any servant agent or independent contractor of the Carrier directly or indirectly involved with the carriage in question. In such circumstances the passenger shall not be entitled to any compensation or payment whatsoever save that the Carrier shall refund to the passenger any fare or other charges paid to the Carrier in respect of that sailing.

29. The Carrier and the vessel shall have liberty to carry the luggage or any part thereof on deck or in or on any other part of the vessel to sail with or without the full complement of passengers and luggage booked to sail with or without a pilot to make trial trips to adjust compasses to carry goods or any kind whatsoever dangerous or otherwise to dry dock with or without the luggage or any part thereof on board to tow and assist vessels or be towed in all situations and to proceed on one or more occasions to or from and use any port or ports in any order or rotation for any purpose whatsoever whether in or out of or short of or beyond the route between the termini for the carriage of any passenger or luggage or the customary or advertised route provided that the said liberty shall at all times be exercised reasonably having regard to the prevailing circumstances.

30. The Carrier and the vessel shall have liberty for any purpose to carry any passenger or luggage to any port beyond the port of destination notwithstanding that the vessel may have called at such port of destination and/or discharged other passengers or luggage there to carry any passenger or luggage back to the port of destination or to the port of embarkation to transship any passenger or luggage into (or in the case of luggage onto the deck of) any vessel to land any passenger or luggage to store luggage at any port or place and to forward any passenger or luggage to the port of destination by any route in or on any vessel or other means of transport (to whomsoever belonging) provided that the said liberty shall at all times be exercised reasonably having regard to the prevailing circumstances. None of the foregoing shall entitle any passenger any passenger to any payment or compensation whatsoever whether by way of refund of any fare or other charges paid to the Carrier or otherwise.

31. If from any cause whatsoever the carriage of any passenger or luggage to the port of destination in the vessel on which the passenger has embarked or the luggage has been loaded or the disembarkation or unloading of any passenger or luggage from such vessel is prevented or hindered for an unreasonable time or is (in the opinion of the Carrier or the Master) likely to be so prevented or hindered or if the continuation of the voyage to the port of destination is (in the opinion of the Carrier or the Master) likely to expose the vessel or her crew or any passenger or luggage to any danger whatsoever the Carrier may at any time cancel the contract and abandon the voyage and thereupon the contract shall be deemed to have been frustrated in law and the passenger shall not be entitled to any payment or compensation whatsoever whether by way of refund of any fare or other charges paid to the Carrier or otherwise.

32. Without prejudice to the generality of any other provision of these conditions the Carrier and the vessel shall have liberty to comply with any other directions or advises as to departure arrival routes ports of loading call or discharge stoppages transshipment discharge or destination or otherwise howsoever given by any Government or any department thereof or by any person acting or purporting to act with the authority of any Government or any department thereof or by any Committee or person having under the terms of the war risks insurance on the vessel the right to give such orders directions or advices. The vessel shall have liberty to carry contraband explosives munitions and warlike stores and to sail armed or unarmed.

33. The exercise in accordance with these conditions of any liberty or other right provided herein shall not constitute a deviation or a breach of contract as between the Carrier and the passenger but shall form part of and be within the scope of the contract voyage. Any passenger or luggage affected by the exercise of any such liberty or other right shall at all times remain subject to these conditions."

The NTA have a page on their website about the Irish Ferries delays, and are apparently considering legal action to get Irish Ferries to pay out. The independent also have an article too about passenger rights, and numerous ones about the delays themselves. I have a bit of a guide and a bunch of links to further info on NI Ferry Site but don't think I'm allowed to a link here as it would be promoting my own site.

In any case, good luck to anyone who is booked with Irish Ferries over the next week (possibly more, its far from certain Ulysses will be leaving us here in Belfast next week). Unfortunately its been a bit of a perfect storm for them (Stena are also extremely busy between Holyhead and Dublin), but thats no excuse for leaving people's travel plans totally up in the air. I've been speaking to people who are in France but have no idea how or when they are getting back to Ireland for example, and so are having to foot the bill themselves for additional accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

home, car unpacked and whole family miserable and already talking about doing 3 weeks next year!

Same here, we are talking about 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Must be contagious as we’ve already booked 3 weeks for next year in Le Soleil. Loved argeles sur mer, so much to do there and the surrounding area and the site was perfect for us, not too busy but not quiet either. Went to la seriene for a look as I had heard good things about it but it was like a zoo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

We've done 3 weeks for the last three years and for us at least it elevates the holiday to a different level of chilled out.

Most campsites offer significant discounts if you're cooking a 3rd week so the marginal cost of an extra week, assuming you can take the time off from work etc, is relatively small but you're getting 50% more holiday.

Same ferry cost, same diesel cost to and from the campsite and if you're cooking/BBQ'ing a good bit there is little extra cost Vs being at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭wall

Gavlor wrote: »
    Must be contagious as we’ve already booked 3 weeks for next year in Le Soleil. Loved argeles sur mer, so much to do there and the surrounding area and the site was perfect for us, not too busy but not quiet either. Went to la seriene for a look as I had heard good things about it but it was like a zoo!!

Thats interesting. I was hoping to take a trip from Serignan Plage (about an hour & a half drive) to check it out but never got around to it. Its such a big site i wondered what it would be like and would it be a bit crazy. But i hav'nt heard anything bad about the place, people seem to enjoy it a lot.

wall wrote: »
    Thats interesting. I was hoping to take a trip from Serignan Plage (about an hour & a half drive) to check it out but never got around to it. Its such a big site i wondered what it would be like and would it be a bit crazy. But i hav'nt heard anything bad about the place, people seem to enjoy it a lot.

The pool facilities look class (apart from the fact there are no beds!) but it’s just mental and is actually used by 2 sister sites also. Beach is a bit of a trek, 20 minute walk which is not feasible with small kids although you’d drive it in a few mins if you really wanted to go. It’s convenient to aqua land and Luna park but it’s just a bit too packed for my liking. Plus there are waaaayyy too many Irish there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

We have booked Campsites for just over the 3 weeks for 2019. Kids talking about it already!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Gavlor wrote: »
    The pool facilities look class (apart from the fact there are no beds!) but it’s just mental and is actually used by 2 sister sites also. Beach is a bit of a trek, 20 minute walk which is not feasible with small kids although you’d drive it in a few mins if you really wanted to go. It’s convenient to aqua land and Luna park but it’s just a bit too packed for my liking. Plus there are waaaayyy too many Irish there!!

There is a road train that goes to the beach every hour. I think the cost is €4.50. We had a car so we never used it, but it's handy for the shops aswell.

Quazzie wrote: »
    There is a road train that goes to the beach every hour. I think the cost is €4.50. We had a car so we never used it, but it's handy for the shops aswell.

Yeah we actually caught the road train into the prom area a couple of times... it’s hit and miss regarding timetables! Soleil was handier for us in that it’s on the beach

• Advertisement

This is why you need to turn off data roaming before you lose connection to your home network in Ireland and don't turn it back on again until you can acquire a decent signal from a domestic network in France.

€37.07 for 7.4mb of data use which was nothing more than my phone doing some data refreshing in the background. I should have known better. If they nab 20% of passengers with this little trick it will be a nice little earner for them :mad:

Roaming-on-board-ferry1532338853.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

This is why you need to turn off data roaming before you lose connection to your home network in Ireland and don't turn it back on again until you can acquire a decent signal from a domestic network in France.

€37.07 for 7.4mb of data use which was nothing more than my phone doing some data refreshing in the background. I should have known better. If they nab 20% of passengers with this little trick it will be a nice little earner for them :mad:

Roaming-on-board-ferry1532338853.png

In fairness to the ferry operators, it's not like all of that is profit for them.
    Satellite comms from sea has always been very expensive.
    Putting and keeping a satellite network in space, plus the ground station network isn't cheap.

https://satellitephonestore.com/bgan-service

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Apologies if this isn't suitable for this thread, but what is the story with car insurance in France? Do I need to advise my provider I'm going abroad and is it normal to pay more?

Yes, you should advise your provider of dates away before you go.
    With most insurers, you should have the same level of cover there, and in any other EU country, for the first 30 days of your trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Beanybabog wrote: »
    Apologies if this isn't suitable for this thread, but what is the story with car insurance in France? Do I need to advise my provider I'm going abroad and is it normal to pay more?

not usually but your breakdown coverage with your insurance will most likely not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭aquarius10

Beanybabog wrote: »

Ford Assist provide breakdown cover abroad once your car is serviced with them, check with your insurer - they may provide breakdown cover for you at a cheaper rate

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

not usually but your breakdown coverage with your insurance will most likely not work.

Allianz will provide breakdown assistance in Ireland and Europe on your policy

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭sdevine89

Sailing Rosslare to Roscoff on Thursday, does anyone know generally how early we should be to check in, in Rosslare? Have speedy exit if that makes any difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

sdevine89 wrote: »
    Sailing Rosslare to Roscoff on Thursday, does anyone know generally how early we should be to check in, in Rosslare? Have speedy exit if that makes any difference?

Give yourself a margin of error in case of traffic delays but 90 minutes is loads of time. You could manage with a lot less but I don't like cutting it too fine.

If you have the Speedy Exit booked you will be directed to a specific lane after you check in, so when you arrive doesn't really matter.

sdevine89 wrote: »

Not recommending it, but we've checked in as late as 30 mins beforehand.
    Didn't have speedy exit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

Came over last Thursday was last on the ferry at the back. The unloading started and was able to change lane to the first off. But checked in 50 mins before sailing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

just back from Grand Met (second year in a row there) and as usual had a ball

Looking at next years trip

Has anyone stayed in Point St Giles in Benodet

Has anyone done the Brittany Ferries and Camp Site accommodation option

Just back from Benedot, but stayed at Camping Letty. Pitch was literally on the beach. Lovely spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Can anyone tell me the prices of hiring bikes in La Sirene in Angeles Sur Mer? I can't bring one of the adults bikes and one of the kids bikes, so I would love to know
    a) if I can hire bikes there and
    b) how much they are per week ( we are there for a fortnight).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Can anyone tell me the prices of hiring bikes in La Sirene in Angeles Sur Mer? I can't bring one of the adults bikes and one of the kids bikes, so I would love to know
    a) if I can hire bikes there and
    b) how much they are per week ( we are there for a fortnight).

http://blue-bear.org/en/adult.bike-351400-4-14.php
    That's the bike hire company on site.

You'll have to leave them put a deposit hold on your credit card too, we had 4 bikes and had to put down 600 for the 11 nights!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Juggler101

Saw that Brittany Ferries have their Cork-Roscoff route up for 2019. I just checked the price for Easter and it seemed very expensive - 900 for car and caravan...

Are they, generally speaking, thought to be more expensive than Irish Ferries/Stena? I've heard the Pont Aven is a nice boat, how does it compare to the Oscar Wilde?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Juggler101

Juggler101 wrote: »
    Saw that Brittany Ferries have their Cork-Roscoff route up for 2019. I just checked the price for Easter and it seemed very expensive - 900 for car and caravan...

Are they, generally speaking, thought to be more expensive than Irish Ferries/Stena? I've heard the Pont Aven is a nice boat, how does it compare to the Oscar Wilde?

PS, are there any BF discount codes going?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

lovely boat, far nicer than the Oscar Wilde IMO.

In all the years I've been looking at the Ferries and campsite, I've always found that if the ferries are expensive, the campsites are cheap, and vice versa.

I do feel that in the last few years, the ferry prices are creeping up to a point that feels like its taking the p1ss a little. Its certainly worked out far better for us to fly/drive for the last while.

However, there's a part of me - and indeed the kids have been very vocal too - that misses the fun of the boat trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Does that include your berth as if it does then that's a good price on Brittany. We typically pay around €1300 for a car and an outside berth with four beds return. They also rarely if ever discount.

Just checked the Friday we plan to return from France next year (July 19th) and BF are quoting €723 one way for a 4X4 with regular 4 berth cabin. I think €1,200 is the max I've ever paid for the return trip in high season and usually get it for circa €1,000.

Brittany-Ferries1533040328.png

I'm of the opinion that BF are betting that the IF cockups this year will motivate enough people to book early and pay them a premium for next year hence the early launch of their 2019 schedule.

I'm equally hoping that with the extra capacity IF will have next year when the WB Yeats finally launches and their desire to prove they are over their mechanical and logistical problems of 2018 that we'll see some competitive pricing and/or some flash sales from IF as they ramp up their 2019 marketing campaign which should start soon after the WB Yeats is (finally) launched.

Fingers crossed anyway as there's no way I'm paying €723 one way, regardless of how nice the Pont Aven is!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

BF...Same dates next year as I had this year is 68 euro more.

Advertisement