Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

AlanG wrote: »
    Next stop was camping in le septentrion at Brulon outside La Mons. A really good site and very different - on a lake and forest with good mix of nationalities staying. It is cheap but well run with a nice bar and restaurant on site. Good for a 3 of 4 day stay. La Mons has a really historical old town which is bizarrely almost deserted despite being on a par with many medieval towns across Europe. This site was cheap and there are some nice towns around although restaurants are had to find. Not a lot to do on site if it was raining but the pool is indoors - no slides however. There is a big Pétanque area beside the site which has lots of locals playing and the lake also has an activity centre.

Did you hear the wolves ? :)
    We spent two nights there on the way back from our camper holiday this year, I thought they were huskies at first but lady at the reception said no, they're the tipi place's wolves (there's a tipi sort of camp beside the campsite). They do activities involving them during the day with kids.

There was a nice guy in a camper on the site who gave us a map of medieval Le Mans, and said as above, that it really deserves more recognition than what it is getting right now. We didn't have time this year, but will definitely stop there some day.

He also said, for other campervan owners, that there is a car park currently outside the walls with no facilities, but they are opening a new aire or something either in that spot or nearby, that will have facilities.

If any of you are ever heading back up to the ferry around 14th of July time, I would highly recommend Le Septentrion, if you are looking for a quiet, real French experience. The bar-restaurant is lovely and has a terrace looking out to the lake, there are playgrounds, and a very safe little beach with lifeguard to swim in the lake, literally out the gate of the campsite. There is a minigolf, and the swimming pool is a nice size, and covered.There are a few animals like goats, hens, ... in a pen.
    Pitches are lovely and shaded, and the facilities are good.

We were there for the 14th, and the World Cup, so that was really exciting, the world cup was played on a big screen on the terrace.

For the 14th July there was a lovely Bal des Pompiers across the lake (2 minutes walk) with a mini concert or two, and a bit of a dance, and an outdoor barbecue and bar, plus pancakes and pastries sellers.

The fireworks were shot from the lake so we watched it from our loungers outside the van.

If like us you are after the more "French" campsites, less flashy and more authentic, you will enjoy this.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

Just back from 18 days in France found a lot of useful information on here so decided to do a write up in case it helps anyone. .
    Stayed in Domain Des Ormes (camping), Les Dunes in Brem Sur Mer (mobile) and then le septentrion (camping) near Le Mons.

Ferry from Rossalare to Cherbourg was great - smooth as can be and no problems. I would definetly recommend bringing breakfast rather than rushing in the morning to get the family fed.
    Drove to Domain Des Ormes in about 2 hours - had the tent on the roof rack so took it easy.  We had 5 nights camping here. It is a very large site - our pitch was close to the pool complex but be warned that some are very far away. Lots of people drove down to the pool area and shops due to the distance. Many eurocamp mobiles seemed to be very far away. As many people have said about domain des ormes it is a very expensive place but there is lots to do if you want to pay for it (5 per person for one of the worst mini golf courses I have ever seen). It cost 85 a night just for a pitch with electricity which as almost 3 times what other places cost. The staff were generally teenagers who didn't want to help with any issues or know how to help.  The pools were good and the site was clean. The indoor pool was like human soup it was so packed even on nice days but next year they will have a new dome built over more pools so that problem should ease. It is a noisy site and the staff seem to make no effort to impose a curfew after midnight.  
    The site is however beautiful and there is lovely bar by the chateau as well as the main bar and one in the hotel. You can use the pool in the hotel and golf club if you want to get away from things. The local town is about 6 Km away and is very nice and has some life to it - unlike most non tourist towns in Norther France were it is almost impossible to feed anyone after 9pm and there are no shops in the town.  We did a day trip to Mont St michael - it is an amazing town - go after 3 and it will be quieter.
    Overall a good site and we would possibly go again.

Next we got a mobile in Les Dunes in Brem Sur Mer - this is a very french site - almost no one spoke English and there were no other Irish there - only a couple of GB cars. The local towns are again quiet but at least have some reasonable eating and shopping options. Site facilities are good but the mobiles are packed in very tightly. The main attraction of the site is that it is right on the beach - literally just outside a coded gate to a lifeguard patrolled beach with a couple of surf schools and a bar / cafe. The mobiles are all private and hired out by the site office so they are quite well stocked and a lot more homely than with the likes of Eurocamp. Things are pretty cheap and it is pretty quiet on site. There are good playgrounds and lots of people playing Pétanque each day. The 3 pools are nice and not too busy. Main drawback was the lack of English speaking kids so our kids didn't make any friends.

We used this as a base to go to the amazing Puy du Fou - I wont try to describe it but it is a super enjoyable theme park with no rides , just shows but that everyone in the family will enjoy. We also did the Nantes mechanical Elephant from here and it was also really good and a unique experience. (hint: get tickets for the big Carousel before 12 to get a second ride free.) The drive to Nantes was only about 75k but took over an hour and a half due to the low speed limits and city traffic.

Next stop was camping in le septentrion at Brulon outside La Mons. A really good site and very different - on a lake and forest with good mix of nationalities staying. It is cheap but well run with a nice bar and restaurant on site. Good for a 3 of 4 day stay. La Mons has a really historical old town which is bizarrely almost deserted despite being on a par with many medieval towns across Europe. This site was cheap and there are some nice towns around although restaurants are had to find.  Not a lot to do on site if it was raining but the pool is indoors - no slides however.  There is a big Pétanque area beside the site which has lots of locals playing and the lake also has an activity centre.  

Stayed in a 500 year old B & B near Bayeux the final night and did Omaha beach and cemetery along with the guns at Lounges Sur Mer - both were well worth a visit.  And can be done quite quiclky on the way to the ferry.

It was our first trip and very enjoyable - main surprise was how difficult it is to get food or drink outside the sites or after 9pm. Most villages and towns have no shops and if there is a restaurant it only opens 12-2 and 7-9. Even the hypermartkets generally don't open Sunday so if you want to get away from the site to eat then you really have to plan it.
    A review of Domaine des Ormes and no mention of St Leanards? The little sleepy village at the back of the resort by the golf course is a bike ride away around the new trails. There are hardly any cars on the road, its still in a time warp and looks like something out of a WW2 movie, without the violence! There is a church and a bar which is great for a quiet pint.
    I take your point about the indoor swimming pool! Looking forward to next year when the new indoor waterpark opens!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Baybay

It was our first trip and very enjoyable - main surprise was how difficult it is to get food or drink outside the sites or after 9pm. Most villages and towns have no shops and if there is a restaurant it only opens 12-2 and 7-9. Even the hypermartkets generally don't open Sunday so if you want to get away from the site to eat then you really have to plan it.

It is a good point of which to be aware.

Outside large cities & some very touristy areas, it is almost impossible to eat outside those hours other than McDo or Quick (Burger King, as most are now rebranding), KFC etc.

Some bakeries too may only open early mornings or late evenings, especially in quieter rural areas so breakfast croissants may sell out earlier than you might expect!

Again outside the large cities & even in touristy areas, supermarkets, if they open on Sundays, will generally only do so until lunchtime which is latest 12.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭AlanG

Deeman83 wrote: »
    A review of Domaine des Ormes and no mention of St Leanards? The little sleepy village at the back of the resort by the golf course is a bike ride away around the new trails. There are hardly any cars on the road, its still in a time warp and looks like something out of a WW2 movie, without the violence! There is a church and a bar which is great for a quiet pint.
    I take your point about the indoor swimming pool! Looking forward to next year when the new indoor waterpark opens!

We did drive into St Leonards twice but the bar was closed both times and no indication of when it would be open so I didn't walk to it. I'm not sure if i was just the time of year or just the french way but so many towns in the area were sleepy and like a time warp that it lost its appeal after a while. It was a challenge to find anywhere open in most villages but having a pint in St. Leonard was certainly an appealing prospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭AlanG

Did you hear the wolves ? :)

Yea, we were serenaded to sleep each nigh by the wolves - luckily I had seen the signs on the site next door as, being in a tent, it would have been a bit freaky to be camping by a forest and listening to that.

Other thing to note is that the Google maps and Garmin location for this site is completely wrong, as are the GPS coordinates on their website. - best just set the GPS for Brulon and follow the sign.

• Advertisement

We did drive into St Leonards twice but the bar was closed both times and no indication of when it would be open so I didn't walk to it. I'm not sure if i was just the time of year or just the french way but so many towns in the area were sleepy and like a time warp that it lost its appeal after a while. It was a challenge to find anywhere open in most villages but having a pint in St. Leonard was certainly an appealing prospect.
    I was there a few times, usually late morning or mid afternoon and one bar was open. The other little bar on the corner is For Sale this year and it was closed. I agree about the mid day ghost town appearance. I put it down to the heat wave this summer. Brittany is not used to 30 plus degrees!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭martco

had 10 days back in July taking in Paris, Compiègne and Lille areas

best campsite was the one we used for Paris - Camping de Paris in the Bois de Boulogne

def 4* as advertised, quiet & right on the Seine but I couldn't get over how close to Paris city centre it practically was, 10 min shuttle bus from the campsite to the metro, 2 stops later...Arc de Triomphe! major value I'd find it hard to justify staying in a hotel in Paris ever again :)

this is the best thread on boards.ie...learned so much can't wait to go again next year hopefully further south & for longer

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭MazzR

Enjoying this thread! Going on our 1st ever holiday 20th to me croix de vieux pont. Anyone been? Any tips? Kids are 8, 11, 15

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

We’re hitting the road in the morning - down to Rosslare. Still raging that we’re sailing on the OW. Had expected to be on the WB Lates but we all know what happened there! If I’d known the choice was the OW or Brittany Ferries I would’ve booked BF. Pont Aven is much nicer. I like getting into Roscoff earlier too - no hanging around in the morning.

Pit stop in MickeyDs on the Nantes side of Rennes and then straight to St Jean De Mont.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Heading Tuesday to Cherbourg, a week on the coast, then down the country to Orleans to visit friends, then across to near Rennes to visit others. Making our way back up for the end of the month.
    Looking forward to good wine and little markets!
    Cant wait!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

We’re hitting the road in the morning - down to Rosslare. Still raging that we’re sailing on the OW. Had expected to be on the WB Lates but we all know what happened there! If I’d known the choice was the OW or Brittany Ferries I would’ve booked BF. Pont Aven is much nicer. I like getting into Roscoff earlier too - no hanging around in the morning.

Pit stop in MickeyDs on the Nantes side of Rennes and then straight to St Jean De Mont.

Sounds like a tried and trusted plan Mr Edge, enjoy.

Sounds like a tried and trusted plan Mr Edge, enjoy.

Keeps the two back seat passengers happy, and if they’re happy we’re happy in front!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Gavlor

gaillimh wrote: »
    Thanks for that Je suis jean.
    I’m not even necessarily looking at campsites specifically - somewhere with a nice town with a decent selection of reasonably priced restaurants with a bit of sunshine is what we’re after.
    But need to be able to get there without flying which is the trouble unfortunately.

Why not take in few different towns/cities, aim for carcassone then on to bezier? Lots of nice places around there and you should get decent weather.
    I’d leave the non flying party behind and fly if it were me!! But plenty on here have driven down that far. Lots of Irish reg in argeles this summer so it is doable

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Keeps the two back seat passengers happy, and if they’re happy we’re happy in front!

Hope this wasn't you Mr Edge!!

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1027855484072669184

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭micks_address

St Leonards is tiny... We walked to it from les Ormes one afternoon. Dol de bretagne is actually pretty good. Some nice bistros there. Mondays can be tricky as they seem to mostly be closed.

St Leonards is tiny... We walked to it from les Ormes one afternoon. Dol de bretagne is actually pretty good. Some nice bistros there. Mondays can be tricky as they seem to mostly be closed.
    Thats the whole appeal to me. A church, 2 pubs no traffic and silence in the heart of the french countryside.
    You wont get a quieter more peaceful pint on the street than that.

Not me. A Q7???? someday maybe! I did spot a speed check though so mustn’t have been too far behind the culprits.

When we got into our cabin there was a nice bottle of wine and Butlers chocolates waiting for us from Irish Ferries acknowledging the hassle caused by the WB Lates fiasco. Good work by the marketing team. “We’re sorry this is not the experience you were expecting......”

We were 5th last car off so we’ll never travel again without paying for the speedy exit. It was 90 mins from getting into the car to driving off the ship. Then another 15 minutes waiting for passport control. Painful with 2 kids who suffer from eternal hunger and when you just want to hit the road.

Since arriving in France on Saturday we’ve experienced traffic jams everywhere we’ve gone. No accidents or roadworks just sheer volume and no one using indicators. Even the hyper u on Sunday morning was completely jammed. This is my 4 visit to France in 6 years and never seen the likes of it. Obviously this is peak holiday time in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Not me. A Q7???? someday maybe! I did spot a speed check though so mustn’t have been too far behind the culprits.

When we got into our cabin there was a nice bottle of wine and Butlers chocolates waiting for us from Irish Ferries acknowledging the hassle caused by the WB Lates fiasco. Good work by the marketing team. “We’re sorry this is not the experience you were expecting......”

We were 5th last car off so we’ll never travel again without paying for the speedy exit. It was 90 mins from getting into the car to driving off the ship. Then another 15 minutes waiting for passport control. Painful with 2 kids who suffer from eternal hunger and when you just want to hit the road.

Since arriving in France on Saturday we’ve experienced traffic jams everywhere we’ve gone. No accidents or roadworks just sheer volume and no one using indicators. Even the hyper u on Sunday morning was completely jammed. This is my 4 visit to France in 6 years and never seen the likes of it. Obviously this is peak holiday time in France.

hyper U on a sunday morning is akin to Christmas eve shopping here, no matter when I've been in france. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭webpal

hyper U on a sunday morning is akin to Christmas eve shopping here, no matter when I've been in france. :rolleyes:

Haha was in there myself then, the familiar sound of flip flops shuffling along the ground. French bank holiday on Wednesday so pretty busy at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭nirvana78

Thats the whole appeal to me. A church, 2 pubs no traffic and silence in the heart of the french countryside.

I took a look inside the church and it was like going back in time. It's gorgeous with all its individual chairs and old objects. I was in a world of my own when suddenly the church bells rang, I nearly lost my life with the fright I got. My husband and son were outside falling around the place laughing, they know I easily get frightened!!

• Advertisement

Île de Ré

Has anyone been? Any recommendations for campsites, things to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭micks_address

nirvana78 wrote: »

I took a look inside the church and it was like going back in time. It's gorgeous with all its individual chairs and old objects. I was in a world of my own when suddenly the church bells rang, I nearly lost my life with the fright I got. My husband and son were outside falling around the place laughing, they know I easily get frightened!!
    The church/cathedral in dol is lovely to... I wouldn't recommend the bistro beside.. food is ok and staff were a little grumpy... better choices out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerd4

Never camped there but Il De Re is gorgeous. One of our favourite spots in the whole of France. Rent bikes and get exploring......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Île de Ré

Has anyone been? Any recommendations for campsites, things to do?

We have done Île de Ré for last 6 years and it is paradise. The Flowers Camp site in Loix is where we stay and we just love that little village however all the other towns on the Island are beautiful. There is however no point going to Île de Ré if you and your kids do not cycle as you cycle everywhere. Renting bikes there is easy and cheap and you really need the for the entire duration of your stay. Île de Ré is where Parisians like to holiday so it is very French and you find yourself slipping into their lifestyle while there. PM me is you want know more as we know that Island very well!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Ré is a beautiful island - as other have said you really need to cycle around it to appreciate it The centre of the island is all salt marshes and is completely flat and criss-crossed with off-road cycle paths. The main town St Martin is lovely as is La Flotte.

We stayed as the same Loix campsite as BailMeOut above, and then the following year near Ars-en-Ré in this campsite. Of the 2 I preferred the Ars site as it was a bit livelier (though still fairly sedate) and Ars itself is a livelier spot than Loix, with a great market.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

And Monday around 12 -12:30

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭webpal

Another small tip when roaming, if your photo app is set to automatically upload to the cloud, you might want to either keep an eye on it or switch off the function to upload using data. Photos are fine but a couple of short videos will easily eat in to your allowance.

Also I posted previously about Bouygues telecom’s data package. Unfortunately I didn’t get to get it as I can’t get 4g with. I had to manually select orange for 4g , ok for browsing and sky go

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

of the 3 sites we were on this year, 2 of them had no data coverage, and the other had enough to read the news but not stream video or anything intensive.

These were all in major tourist areas - I don't know if mobile coverage in France is just poor outside the cities, or possibly the operators are deliberately providing a lower service to roaming customers.

The campsite WiFi was pretty poor as well; my advice there is to buy a 1 day pass to test it out before committing to a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭molly dolly

We're just back. Speedy disembarkment is the way to go. We were out in first 6 - 10 cars both ways. No quing getting on either. Return trip last night was very choppy. No issues for us. Kids slept till 9.30. The coast gaurd were doing a training op on the ferry so there was no q for breakfast as there was a bun fight to get out and watch. They've shaken up the left bank diner menu a bit. Have a street food station now. Build your own burger to thai/chineese. I got lemon curry prawn noodles - tasty and unexpected from the usual carvery muck

15th a great day for travel. We had no issues from Sequioa up with Traffic at all. Nante was bad on way down.

Sequoia itself was ok. Nice area. Ille D Oleron was pretty. No big touristy highlights but lots of interesting middle ages churches and villages. We didn't do any big tours as the boys 14, 12 and 7 really just wanted to do the site. Noisy road near our pitch. I'm not a great sleeper so heard it most nights. First week was tough as kids didn't have friends. However then a guy from ds1s school arrived and it got easier and by the end there was a mini hoarde of boys and girls hanging out which was good to see. The wifi was awful. My roaming wouldn't work so I've had two weeks off line which was good for the soul.

The night animation team was in the words of our 7 year old cringey so didn't do it much. Live band on a sat night and last weeks was good.

Site has expanded but some of the facilities haven't. Playgrounds are excellent. huge new fort on sand was a big hit with smallest guy. Que for the pool which opens at 10.00 start at 9. Bar hasn't enough tables out in the evening so alot of people bringing chairs up and leaving glasses on patio which is dangerous with kids running around. Saw a poor toddler being karted off for stitches after coming a cropper. Toilets at the central area serving bar and restaurant are poor. Gender neutral and a bit pongy. Same at pool. Mozzies not as bad as reviews but I did get a few bites but I was only one. I had done a calf muscle so walking wasn't great but some nice cycling.

Last day though was a debbie downer. Up to that point they had being easy going on the swimming shorts and there were loads of inflatables. On Wednesday the manageress took it on herself that we (90% of clients) were't respecting the rules. She was hauling kids and removing families to go change and take their inflatables jut purchased in shop out of the pool area. It was our last day. Middle guy is on the spectrum and has some sensory stuff and isn't good with strangers - she was following around trying to to engage with him. Grabbed his shoulder as he walked away and threatened security on him. I went over and there was murders. Her English was excellent tough -) We've never had this before and this was the 10th trip. Its why we do the camping holidays as we can control the scenarios while giving some freedom. But he had made some great friends who insisted on sticking by him as a show of solidarity so silver lining. (I eventually got him into the tighter shorts but he even hates tight undies). But it was tough as for most of the holiday we were congratulating ourselves that this was going well and how much progress himself had made and then you take 3 steps back.

It was our first time with Kelair. Mobile was much nicer then Eurocamp. It was brand new. Some little extras I didn't realise like the electric kettle, Bedding was on too which we hadn't ordered. The housekeeping deposit was no issue either. I always leave the place spotless and the girls were very pleased as they'd little enough to do to get it ready for next family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

We're just back. Speedy disembarkment is the way to go. We were out in first 6 - 10 cars both ways. No quing getting on either. Return trip last night was very choppy. No issues for us. Kids slept till 9.30. The coast gaurd were doing a training op on the ferry so there was no q for breakfast as there was a bun fight to get out and watch. They've shaken up the left bank diner menu a bit. Have a street food station now. Build your own burger to thai/chineese. I got lemon curry prawn noodles - tasty and unexpected from the usual carvery muck

15th a great day for travel. We had no issues from Sequioa up with Traffic at all. Nante was bad on way down.

Sequoia itself was ok. Nice area. Ille D Oleron was pretty. No big touristy highlights but lots of interesting middle ages churches and villages. We didn't do any big tours as the boys 14, 12 and 7 really just wanted to do the site. Noisy road near our pitch. I'm not a great sleeper so heard it most nights. First week was tough as kids didn't have friends. However then a guy from ds1s school arrived and it got easier and by the end there was a mini hoarde of boys and girls hanging out which was good to see. The wifi was awful. My roaming wouldn't work so I've had two weeks off line which was good for the soul.

The night animation team was in the words of our 7 year old cringey so didn't do it much. Live band on a sat night and last weeks was good.

Site has expanded but some of the facilities haven't. Playgrounds are excellent. huge new fort on sand was a big hit with smallest guy. Que for the pool which opens at 10.00 start at 9. Bar hasn't enough tables out in the evening so alot of people bringing chairs up and leaving glasses on patio which is dangerous with kids running around. Saw a poor toddler being karted off for stitches after coming a cropper. Toilets at the central area serving bar and restaurant are poor. Gender neutral and a bit pongy. Same at pool. Mozzies not as bad as reviews but I did get a few bites but I was only one. I had done a calf muscle so walking wasn't great but some nice cycling.

Last day though was a debbie downer. Up to that point they had being easy going on the swimming shorts and there were loads of inflatables. On Wednesday the manageress took it on herself that we (90% of clients) were't respecting the rules. She was hauling kids and removing families to go change and take their inflatables jut purchased in shop out of the pool area. It was our last day. Middle guy is on the spectrum and has some sensory stuff and isn't good with strangers - she was following around trying to to engage with him. Grabbed his shoulder as he walked away and threatened security on him. I went over and there was murders. Her English was excellent tough -) We've never had this before and this was the 10th trip. Its why we do the camping holidays as we can control the scenarios while giving some freedom. But he had made some great friends who insisted on sticking by him as a show of solidarity so silver lining. (I eventually got him into the tighter shorts but he even hates tight undies). But it was tough as for most of the holiday we were congratulating ourselves that this was going well and how much progress himself had made and then you take 3 steps back.

It was our first time with Kelair. Mobile was much nicer then Eurocamp. It was brand new. Some little extras I didn't realise like the electric kettle, Bedding was on too which we hadn't ordered. The housekeeping deposit was no issue either. I always leave the place spotless and the girls were very pleased as they'd little enough to do to get it ready for next family.

15 mins further down the road there is a place called la playmre. Good siblu campsites there and your kids would love it. Entertainment is top class

Advertisement