Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Why not run a simple cost comparison model in Excel and find out?

Option 1: Traditional Campsite where you rent the mobile onsite. Fairly easy to get costs for and perhaps assume inflation of 5% each year for the cost of the ferry and campsite.

Option 2: Buy a caravan and just pay pitch costs onsite. Again it should be fairly easy to get costs for the ferry and pitch costs for sites and you can increase these by5% per annum to forecast total costs for the projected 5 years.

The tricky bit for option 2 is calculating, in a realistic manner, what the cost of ownership for the caravan will be over a 5 year period. What will it cost to buy now? What will storage and maintenance costs be per annum? What will it's residual market value be in 5 years time (what will you sell it for in 5 years time?) and what are the other misc costs associated with owning a caravan rather than renting one onsite e.g. insuring the caravan? Additional costs of fuel towing it over and back to France?

There is of course also another upside to the caravan option in that it will allow you to go away for weekends or short trips in Ireland at little cost.

Option 1. We have our costs for this yr and as u say it's easy to get figures for nxt yr

Option 2. Is where I'm gonna struggle we, go on hols for the last 10days of June, work and cost constraints dictate time, so I'm really looking for costs of ferry June gone if anyone went and as you say I can figure it out from there.

Ideally we wud like to use is for unplanned days away around Eire, that saying we didn't use our last 1 much hence we sold it. But we only had 1 baby and our one and only experience away with first born away in it wasn't great... Hence my wife's trepidation with getting another one..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

We went to le littoral campsite in sables dolonne and I must say it was excellent,nice friendly staff great facilities with indoor and outdoor pools,loads for kids of all ages,very good nightly entertainment and spotlessly clean

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Juggler101

MorganIRL wrote: »
    Option 1. We have our costs for this yr and as u say it's easy to get figures for nxt yr

Option 2. Is where I'm gonna struggle we, go on hols for the last 10days of June, work and cost constraints dictate time, so I'm really looking for costs of ferry June gone if anyone went and as you say I can figure it out from there.

We paid 660 for 2 adults, 2 children, 1 infant, car and caravan in for 1-18 June this year. I'm almost sure that was with one of the discounts that Irish Ferries gives early in the season, maybe 10% off

Juggler101 wrote: »
    We paid 660 for 2 adults, 2 children, 1 infant, car and caravan in for 1-18 June this year. I'm almost sure that was with one of the discounts that Irish Ferries gives early in the season, maybe 10% off

Thanks juggler. That's exactly what I was looking for. I'll factor in 20% for later on in the month and anothet 5% for nxt yr. That should give me a good idea. Thks all for your help.. now to find a 3 bunk caravan...

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

Juggler101 wrote: »

We paid 1350 for Irish ferries, car and caravan, 2 adults, 2 children, 1 infant.
    That includes 3* 4 berth cabins as we had a cot. 7-28 July, wkd sailings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭nirvana78

Deeman83 wrote: »
    We paid 1350 for Irish ferries, car and caravan, 2 adults, 2 children, 1 infant.

I think that's a good price, when did you book that and did you get any discount at the time of booking? I've got accommodation booked for 22nd June next year for two weeks and I'm trying to figure out how much it is going to cost for the ferry. We don't have a caravan so I would imagine it would be even cheaper. It's frustrating having to wait for the price because for the last two years I had the ferry booked in August!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

nirvana78 wrote: »

I think that's a good price, when did you book that and did you get any discount at the time of booking? I've got accommodation booked for 22nd June next year for two weeks and I'm trying to figure out how much it is going to cost for the ferry. We don't have a caravan so I would imagine it would be even cheaper. It's frustrating having to wait for the price because for the last two years I had the ferry booked in August!
    That was booked in October, and I got 10% discount.
    Hopefully I will be booking the WB Lates for July 2019. I will be able to use my 150E discount for this summers debacle. Not sure when they go on sale for July 2019, probably around october again.

That was booked in October, and I got 10% discount.
    Hopefully I will be booking the WB Lates for July 2019. I will be able to use my 150E discount for this summers debacle. Not sure when they go on sale for July 2019, probably around october again.

Cheers for that, it's good to know about timings for discounts!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I contact IF to ask about the 2019 schedule/bookings and my WB Lates voucher, this was the response provided:

“Our 2019 schedule remains to be finalised at the moment - usually the fares for the following year can drop any time between August and October. Please keep an eye on our website for the latest information.

Regarding the voucher, this will be added to your online customer account after the current summer season and will be available to use on a booking to France with us in 2019.”

Thks Deeman for that, that's a big jump in 2 wks, but it's what I expect and why we go in June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ftm2008

For the same number of people but no caravan I paid 890 inc 10% discount - mid August

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭seanin4711

shamrock55 wrote: »
    We went to le littoral campsite in sables dolonne and I must say it was excellent,nice friendly staff great facilities with indoor and outdoor pools,loads for kids of all ages,very good nightly entertainment and spotlessly clean

class spot.
    lovely cycling and running routes!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭manshay

Stena are now offering 10% discount off next summers 2019 Rosslare-Cherbourg fares.

manshay wrote: »
    Stena are now offering 10% discount off next summers 2019 Rosslare-Cherbourg fares.

Do u have a code for that offer??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

https://www.stenaline.ie/france2019

or code FRANCE2019

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

Wonder when IF will get the finger out and add their 2019 schedule. I'd jump all over this except I want to sail to Roscoff and we're even further from Cork than Dublin or Rosslare

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Wonder when IF will get the finger out and add their 2019 schedule. I'd jump all over this except I want to sail to Roscoff and we're even further from Cork than Dublin or Rosslare

Afraid to publish a sailing schedule in case they still haven't got the Will B Late , let alone sell tickets for her!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Afraid to publish a sailing schedule in case they still haven't got the Will B Late , let alone sell tickets for her!

Isn't it supposed to be operating to the UK from around now?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

First Up wrote: »
    Isn't it supposed to be operating to the UK from around now?

it's still in Germany according to Marine Traffic
    https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:5614700/zoom:10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

So when is the best time to book, o wise and experienced boardsies?
    Not sure I want to book my campsite until ferries are up, just to be sure of total cost in committing to.

Are there good prices when the IF launches schedule and pricing, or better to hold off for sales etc?
    I've never been ready to book this far in advance before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

loyatemu wrote: »
    it's still in Germany according to Marine Traffic
    https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:5614700/zoom:10

At least it's in the water!
    The ship beside it rejoices on the name "The Alf Pollock" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Waiting for IF 2019 to come out too.
    Booked Campsite in June so would like to have Ferry booked now too.

Messaged them on FB last week and got a similar message to Mr.edge above.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Waiting for IF 2019 to come out too.
    Booked Campsite in June so would like to have Ferry booked now too.

Messaged them on FB last week and got a similar message to Mr.edge above.
    well the pt1cks could at least release booking for ferries to France for the first week of January, like they do for crossings to Britain, to allow people make plans for christmas which is now only 3 months away.

2 years ago I ended up booking with stena as Irish ferries couldnt make their minds up and looks like I'll be doing the same this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

We booked our campsite again for next year on site before leaving this year so we too are eagerly awaiting the schedule.

Will be looking for a Saturday sailing outbound and Fri inbound, which was the 2018 planned schedule for the WB Lates. I’m hoping that it’s still the same.

Brittany Ferries have the dates up and the prices are very competitive (I suspect they’re capitalizing on the IF fiasco) but we’re holding out for the our €150.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Currently on IF Website is option to register interest in 2019 Schedule to France with name and email address.
    Link below.

https://www.irishferries.com/ie-en/offers/france2019-register-interest/

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭conjon

Hi

I did a quick search and didn't see anything recent. After taking a break this year, were planning heading back to France next summer. Previous years we've gone via eurocamps, but next year going with Al Fresco. Anyway, I was wondering has anyone stayed in Le Vallee in Houlgate, Normandy? I'm seeing mixed reviews on line. We've 5 year old boys and one complaint from this year was the state of the swimming pool, which would be key for our two. Anyone used this site? Recommend it?

Thanks,
    Conor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

conjon wrote: »
    Hi

I did a quick search and didn't see anything recent. After taking a break this year, were planning heading back to France next summer. Previous years we've gone via eurocamps, but next year going with Al Fresco. Anyway, I was wondering has anyone stayed in Le Vallee in Houlgate, Normandy? I'm seeing mixed reviews on line. We've 5 year old boys and one complaint from this year was the state of the swimming pool, which would be key for our two. Anyone used this site? Recommend it?

Thanks,
    Conor
    Stayed there for three days this summer to do the D-Day sites.
    My thoughts were

"This was the only downside of the holiday, Camping La Valee was meant to be a 5* site but not a patch on any of the other sites I've stayed in. Site was fairly run down, bit of a "Chav" crowd to it and bar area was a let down - wouldnt be recommending this site to anyone (I'll admit my judgement could have been slightly clouded by going from La Sirene to this site but still.....)"

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭conjon

talla wrote: »
    Stayed there for three days this summer to do the D-Day sites.
    My thoughts were

"This was the only downside of the holiday, Camping La Valee was meant to be a 5* site but not a patch on any of the other sites I've stayed in. Site was fairly run down, bit of a "Chav" crowd to it and bar area was a let down - wouldnt be recommending this site to anyone (I'll admit my judgement could have been slightly clouded by going from La Sirene to this site but still.....)"

Thanks Talia. That's ruled that one out.

Really appreciated
    Conor

conjon wrote: »
    Hi

Thanks,
    Conor[/QUOTE

We stayed there last year because we wanted to do the D-Day sites. For that purpose it was a fairly good location but the site itself wasn't the greatest. The pool area is nothing to write home about. There are slides that would only be suitable for older children and infact the red slide should be closed it's dangerous. I would also say the bar area wasn't that good. I would definitely consider somewhere else. Last year we also stayed at Domaine Des Ormes in Brittany about 2 & 1/2 hours from La Vallee and that was far more superior. In our opinion, it was so good that we returned again this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

[[/QUOTE

We stayed there last year because we wanted to do the D-Day sites. For that purpose it was a fairly good location but the site itself wasn't the greatest. The pool area is nothing to write home about. There are slides that would only be suitable for older children and infact the red slide should be closed it's dangerous. I would also say the bar area wasn't that good. I would definitely consider somewhere else. Last year we also stayed at Domaine Des Ormes in Brittany about 2 & 1/2 hours from La Vallee and that was far more superior. In our opinion, it was so good that we returned again this year.[/QUOTE]

I could have actually written that! Stayed in La Vallee for Easter 2017, weather was glorious but cold at night. We had a brand spanking new Avant mobile with heating which was great. Exactly the same thoughts on the site, it was just ok, 4 days was long enough, good base for the D-Day sites. If you've been to one of the bigger sites and are looking for fun for the kids, probably avoid this one.

Advertisement