Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

We always take a few extra days wandering around before we hit the campsite. We stay in Airbnb’s or cheap hotels. Did Bayeux and Dinan this summer. Would something like that be an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Thanks for a the tips guys, it's actually working out more expensive to leave earlier and book another night in a hotel or airbnb somewhere else and it will be a bit of a rush and pointless.

I priced eurocamp and while they will let me depart on a Tuesday their prices are absolutely scandalous again this year compared to everyone else.

Lifestyle are the same price for 8 nights as canvas are for 9 so that's no good either.

It's not even about the money though it's about knowing the place is available and paid for for another night and we'll be on the ferry, and also not being able to finish up in Les Mouettes like we do every other year.

My only other option is to take a chance that the dome in Des Ormes will be completed ahead of schedule and maybe open a week early and book it for those dates but that's an awful risk because if anyone here has been to Des Ormes you know how busy it gets and only having the outdoor pool behind the pizzeria and the pool by the clubhouse it will be absolutely mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭webpal

Save up to 30% on your 2019 Eurocamp Holiday

Nights on Parc: 3 - 10 Nights: 11 - 21 Nights:
    6 Apr - 27 Apr 10% 15%
    20 Jul - 1 Sept 10% 15%
    All Other Dates 25% 35%
    - This partner requires you to insert this promotional code on their website in order to avail of the offer

19RISC01

The discounts apply per night to the accommodation base price and supplements based on the total holiday duration within the relevant date bands. The offer is subject to availability and a minimum duration of 3 nights with a maximum duration of 21 nights. The offer is only applicable to new 2019 bookings and cannot be applied retrospectively to an existing reservation.The offer is subject to the booking terms and conditions as stated in the 2019 Eurocamp brochure and can only be combined with the Eurocamp ‘Long Stay’ offer. All other offers or discounts are excluded. The offer is subject to availability.

The offer applies to Classic and Safari Tents, Classic, Esprit, Espace and Vista mobile homes only. All other accommodation types are excluded.

All parcs are included except: CD011, CD012, CD013, CD019, HL012, IA022, IL019, IS018, RV015, VN011, VS011, WM017, WM020, WM032. Selected parcs may be excluded at any time.

The offer is only valid for bookings made between 01st August and 4th December 2018. The offer cannot be redeemed through travel agents.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭newholland mad

Hi all. After a bit of advice and a few ideas. For the last 2 years we ( 14 yo 12 yo 10yo 6yo) have holidayed in duinrell in holland which was brilliant with indoor water park and a high octane fun park with rollercoasters etc all included and near the airport But after 2 years we want somewhere different. The problem is we enjoyed the last 2 years so much the next place has a lot to live up to. Somewhere with a good indoor water park and lots to occupy teenagers. Travelling in late June. Any suggestions and ideas most welcome. Don't want to pick somewhere off a brochure without a recommendation from people who have been there. Thanks in advance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Okay, I've been doing a lot of looking around over the weekend. Has anybody stayed in Camping Les Vikings?

https://www.camping-lesvikings.com/en/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

loyatemu wrote: »
    Would you recommend any of these campsites in particular for a family who want to get out and about on our bikes. Kids are 12, 14,15,17 so we are looking for quietish roads or cycle paths along the coast.
    Anyone any recommendations for cycling anywhere in Brittany please ?

Ile de Re is a bit of a longer drive but is a cyclists paradise.
    How long is the drive from Cherbourg/Roscoff to Il de Re?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Deeman83 wrote: »

5h30m from Cherbourg according to Google

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Deeman83

loyatemu wrote: »

5h30m from Cherbourg according to Google
    I know the google map estimate but they arent very accurate especially in france, I was hoping to get some "actual" drive times that account for traffic, tolls etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

I know the google map estimate but they arent very accurate especially in france, I was hoping to get some "actual" drive times that account for traffic, tolls etc.

I find via michelin estimates to be fairly accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Deeman83 wrote:

I find them very reliable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

we do Roscoff to Ile de Re every year and with stops and detours the journey takes 6-7 hours. If we did not stop as often we could do in 5 hours and another 30-40 mins getting over the bridge and to where we stay on the Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Most frustrating phone call with IF there now. Saying sometime in November now. More or less admitted that they are waiting for the WB Yates to be ready before they publish a Schedule.
    We have free amendments with our Campsite until Dec 3rd so getting a bit concerned now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Most frustrating phone call with IF there now. Saying sometime in November now. More or less admitted that they are waiting for the WB Yates to be ready before they publish a Schedule.
    We have free amendments with our Campsite until Dec 3rd so getting a bit concerned now.

I would’ve thought that they’d be safe to take bookings for Summer 2019 at this stage. Must be some serious issues with delivery of WB Lates.

Obviously they’re scarred after the Summer 2018 cock-up and aren’t confirming to anything whatsoever. Incredibly frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

SusanC10 wrote: »

I can see them loosing a bit of business over this, we're usually booked at this stage. Must've been some cock up with the WB Yeats, I can see multiple project managers sacked over their over ambitious timelines. For a ship that was supposed to be finished months ago and currently running on the Ireland UK route since September to IF not even sure if it'll be ready for the France route next year cos let's face it they'd be taking bookings for it now if they thought it might be ready by then... someone really messed up their completion dates.....

https://www.niferry.co.uk/w-b-yeats-sea-trials/

Found this Article online 're WB Lates.

I requested another update from Irish Ferries Twitter page - they say they will be starting to take bookings in the "next couple of weeks".

Dónal wrote: »
    I requested another update from Irish Ferries Twitter page - they say they will be starting to take bookings in the "next couple of weeks".

Unfortunately, they have been saying variations on a theme of the "next couple of weeks" since August !

The Sea Trials of the WB Yeats mentioned in the link I posted above did not take place as scheduled last Friday and are now due to take place tomorrow so we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭nirvana78

It would be good to run a poll to see who would actually want to go on the W. B. Yeates. At this stage, Irish Ferries would be better off just sticking with what they've been doing in the past, Oscar Wilde or Epsilon!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭yellow76

Is Oscar Wilde being used for another route at the moment? There is no way I would book a new ferry until its had at least one season in the water.

If they put up the OW sailings this minute, I would bite!

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

With all the damage that the IF brand has caused itself I'm expecting really competitive pricing for France next year.

• Advertisement

With all the damage that the IF brand has caused itself I'm expecting really competitive pricing for France next year.

Really hope so !

Yeah me too ��. I have the €100 deposit sitting there waiting to go and like others I'm only staying with Irish Ferries because of the Tesco vouchers. I wouldn't mind trying Brittany Ferries but it wouldn't make sense for me to change now.

nirvana78 wrote: »
    Yeah me too ��. I have the €100 deposit sitting there waiting to go and like others I'm only staying with Irish Ferries because of the Tesco vouchers. I wouldn't mind trying Brittany Ferries but it wouldn't make sense for me to change now.

Same here. Lots of Tesco Vouchers. Also we want to leave Ireland on a Thurs and leave France on a Saturday so Brittany Ferries doesn't suit. Campsites already booked months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭webpal

nirvana78 wrote: »

Pretty sure stena take them too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Just booked our flights for the 4 of us to toulouse for first 2 weeks of july for 1114. Priority booking and bags.

Mobile home only 1300 this time also as we went with same private hire in la carabasse.

Car rental will be around 400.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Car rental will be around 400.

Based on a number of articles I’ve seen in recent times, I don’t think car rental is worth the hassle and risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Based on a number of articles I’ve seen in recent times, I don’t think car rental is worth the hassle and risk.

Depends who u go with. Enterprise and almo always top class with us. Avis i would avoid.

Then your car insurance for 50 euro covers it all.

webpal wrote: »
    Pretty sure stena take them too

Yes you're right, but I'm not gone on the Stena ship, it doesn't appear to be as good as the Oscar Wilde. I have next years holiday booked anyway so I'll just wait for Irish Ferries to release their prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

from a ferry fansite, word has it that the sea trials of WB Yeats are beginning this Friday 26th with handover to Irish ferries in a few weeks and in service at the start of December. Thats the plan anyhow.

Once they have the ferry delivered in a working condition you'd expect things to move quickly with regards to next years schedule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Jpm123

I’m looking at flights from Dublin to Toulouse with Aerlingus for the last week in June. I’m wondering when is the best time to buy, now or should I wait till the sales after Christmas. It’s working out about €1000 euro for the five of us now and I’m wondering will be any cheaper in the sales

Advertisement