Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

First Up wrote: »
    Not published yet but I'd suggest you keep an eye on their website.

Think what he's looking for is the timetable for the past few years, rather than the schedule for next year....I had the same idea myself, in the hope that next year's sailings from Rosslare would correspond at least roughly to what they did in 2018, 2017, etc.

I haven't been able to find it either, though. So if anybody happens to know if it's available, or maybe have an old PDF or similar saved somewhere, then please share.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

I checked my sailings from 2017 and 2015 (Rosslare to Cherbourg, late June) and 2017 was a Monday, 2015 was a Tuesday. So that's no real use, info wise!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭webpal

This year from Saturday 23rd June they sailed from Rosslare every 2nd day.

Bit of a guessing game for next year though

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

I don't have suggestions for Nice but would love to hear some feedback from your trips to Il de Re as posted above, I am looking for recommendations for camping sites on the island, thanks
    We stayed in Le Suroit campsite in Le Bois de Plage. Ideal if you have small children and want a quiet holiday. It has an indoor and outdoor pool, a small playground, and a small restaurant/bar with pretty good food. Le Bois is a pretty village with an excellent beach. The village has a terrific market every morning and an adequate supermarket. Everywhere is accessible by bike. Taxi to and from the airport is about €40 each way. La Rochelle is accessible by bus if you want a trip to the excellent aquarium.

The big downside for us was - as with other villages - the restaurants keep very strict hours - lunch is 12-2 and dinner is 7-9 and good luck finding food outside that - it got to be a bit of a pain after a while. Also bear in mind that it's the west coast so weather may be variable - we went in early June last year and there was a lot of rain (other years the weather was better because we traveled later).

webpal wrote: »
    This year from Saturday 23rd June they sailed from Rosslare every 2nd day.

Bit of a guessing game for next year though

Thanks to both you and Jay0109

Other thing to consider from Rosslare is that sometimes sailings are to/from Cherbourg, and sometimes Roscoff.

Anybody have any view on just going with Stena instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Duffryman wrote: »

Other thing to consider from Rosslare is that sometimes sailings are to/from Cherbourg, and sometimes Roscoff.

That really depends where you want to go and what dates suit you. You have plenty of choice. The Oscar Wilde is a nicer ship than the Stena Horizon and the new WB Yeats should be excellent when it finally arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

If you are planning on staying anywhere south of Nantes then it doesn't really matter whether you sail into Roscoff of Cherbourg.

It's always nicer to sail out of Roscoff though because it's a beautiful little town to wander around for a few hours before sailing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Baybay

Unshelved wrote: »
    The big downside for us was - as with other villages - the restaurants keep very strict hours - lunch is 12-2 and dinner is 7-9 and good luck finding food outside that - it got to be a bit of a pain after a while.

This is not unusual throughout France, even in some of the larger towns. McDo or BurgerKing, as Quick has now become, can frequently be your only choices outside of the hours you mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Unshelved wrote: »
    The big downside for us was - as with other villages - the restaurants keep very strict hours - lunch is 12-2 and dinner is 7-9 and good luck finding food outside that - it got to be a bit of a pain after a while.

Interesting as in Loix which is tiny the two restaurants, the bakery/cafe and the two take away pizza places are open morning to night so getting food is never an issue. Also the local Spar no longer closes in middle day and opens 8am to 8am every day.

• Advertisement

I've noted a bit more flexibility and customer focus in the last couple of years. Small town restaurants still open when it suits them but a lot of places are now catering outside the traditional times.

Sunday isn't quite the closed shop of old either, although you'd need to be alert.

If you are planning on staying anywhere south of Nantes then it doesn't really matter whether you sail into Roscoff of Cherbourg.

It's always nicer to sail out of Roscoff though because it's a beautiful little town to wander around for a few hours before sailing

Thanks. Sorry, maybe I should have been more specific with our plans! We just want to stay in Normandy/Brittany area. Seems that from Rosslare, Stena just serves Cherbourg, while IF does both. Sailing into one and back from the other wouldn't necessarily bother us - my wife and I have journeyed between them before, back in the days before the young lad arrived.

Guess my question really is whether or not there's much of a difference between the Stena boat from Rosslare and the IF one, in terms of comfort, facilities, etc.? Somebody else said above that the Oscar Wilde is nicer, but in what way, and by how much? It's been eight years since we made the trip, and to be honest, I don't remember about the boat....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Somebody else said above that the Oscar Wilde is nicer, but in what way, and by how much? It's been eight years since we made the trip, and to be honest, I don't remember about the boat....

Oscar Wilde has lots of entertainment options and a selection of food offerings.

The other boats don't have the razzamatazz entertainment and have a much simplified food offering but IMHO have better beds.

If you have kids who need to be entertained and/or you like having restaurant options kn board as opposed to a single buffet/simple menu offering then the Oscar Wilde is the way to go but if your kids are older or you don't have kids traveling with you then the other boats offer a very comfortable option without all the razzamatazz.

Personally I prefer the Epsilion type boats as I place a higher value on a comfy bed than expensive restaurant options I never use and the kids entertainment we stopped using 5 years ago!!

Personally I prefer the Epsilion type boats as I place a higher value on a comfy bed than expensive restaurant options I never use and the kids entertainment we stopped using 5 years ago!!

They will both get you there but the Oscar Wilde is much more spacious. Even when its full there is room in the various restaurants, bars and lounges.

The Stena Horizon and the IF Epsilon are basically truckers ferries with less space and less choice. I've not noticed much difference in the beds/cabins between the OW and Horizon but some people say there is. I've always slept well on both.

One other point; many passenger cars on the Stena Horizon are parked on the open upper deck. It can be a hairy trip for nervous drivers up and down the ramp and your car is exposed to the elements during the crossing.

I use both depending on which schedule suits me but I much prefer the OW.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

SusanC10 wrote: »

There’s definitely something going on behind the scenes. Between the lost revenue from the Wb Yeats not arriving, and the €150 voucher for the thousands of affected customers, not to mention the thousands of cases lodged with the national transport authority....I do wonder what is going on behind the scenes....

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

I went on the Oscar Wilde last year and would have booked again for next summer.But with all the uncertanty I went ahead yesterday and booked Brittany Ferries as I had booked the campsite already and did not want to be left high and dry.

Irish Ferries must be losing a serious amount of custom over this and you would worry that the problems in the company are bigger than they are letting on at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

We are going to have to make a decision soon. We booked the Campsite last Summer for 2019. Plan is to leave Ireland on a Thurs and leave France on a Saturday. Going with anyone other than IF will mean a change of our accommodation dates.

Phoned Eurocamp today (again). They are none the wiser as to what is going on with IF. But they have extended their Free Change of Mind Deadline until December 24th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

SusanC10 wrote: »
    We are going to have to make a decision soon. We booked the Campsite last Summer for 2019. Plan is to leave Ireland on a Thurs and leave France on a Saturday. Going with anyone other than IF will mean a change of our accommodation dates.

Phoned Eurocamp today (again). They are none the wiser as to what is going on with IF. But they have extended their Free Change of Mind Deadline until December 24th.

Good to know, it can't be helping their business either.

I'm one of those still holding off on booking anything until the ferry schedule is out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

Siblu Black Friday 25% off all campsites for next couple of days...

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Got sick of waiting for IF to realese their Summer schedule so booked flights into Bordeaux for late June €530 rtn for 4. Also Eurocamp sent me a black Friday offer and got St Avit loisters for €40 a night in a 2 bed 2 bath Espace . incredible value , anyone stay in these vans? Booked 4 nights for €160 before we head to Castell Mongri in Spain. Eurocamp have great deals until the 26th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Got sick of waiting for IF to realese their Summer schedule so booked flights into Bordeaux for late June €530 rtn for 4. Also Eurocamp sent me a black Friday offer and got St Avit loisters for €40 a night in a 2 bed 2 bath Espace . incredible value , anyone stay in these vans? Booked 4 nights for €160 before we head to Castell Mongri in Spain. Eurocamp have great deals until the 26th.

That is a great price.
    We have stayed in that Campsite - Kids loved it !
    We have also stayed in the 2-Bed Espace but on a different site and they are lovely- v spacious.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Ya eurocamps black Fri offer is unreal. We're getting 10 nights in a 3 bed for €400, was waiting to book till IF released schedule but we're gonna book now and fly if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

MorganIRL wrote: »
    Ya eurocamps black Fri offer is unreal. We're getting 10 nights in a 3 bed for €400, was waiting to book till IF released schedule but we're gonna book now and fly if needs be.

Thanks for the heads up. Just got 11 nights in a 3 bed espace in the resort we were after for €600, that's 1/3 of the price I was seeing last year with eurocamp. A bit earlier than we planned to go, but only by a couple of days.
    If it means we have to book in a night or two on another resort to suit ferry sailings, then so be it.

Do people think IF wud be sticking to there out from rosslare on a Tues schedule from 2018, have they varied it over the years. My recollection is that they haven't

Do people think IF wud be sticking to there out from rosslare on a Tues schedule from 2018, have they varied it over the years. My recollection is that they haven't
    Surely it varies by the week? The crossing takes about 18 hours.

As far as I remember, leaves rosslare for Cherbourg on a Tues and leaves rosslare for Roscoff on a Saturday.

As far as I remember, leaves rosslare for Cherbourg on a Tues and leaves rosslare for Roscoff on a Saturday.
    If it arrives in Roscoff on Sunday, then it goes back to Rosslare Sunday evening, arriving on Monday. It doesn't sit around in Rosslare until Tuesday.

I'm pretty sure the schedule varies week to week. Maybe it repeats every 2nd week but the round trip including loading is between 40 - 44 hours. You can't maintain an identical schedule in a 7 day week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Of course it varies.
    If there's 7 days in a week (which there is) and a ferry makes one crossing a day (which it does) then the ferry will be sailing on a different day of the week every other week.

The Stena ferry takes a day off every week and parks for a full 24hours so they have a regular sailing schedule.

Advertisement