Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Hi Taine, I just copied my post from last years thread with lots of info based on my own experiences - hopefully its helpful.

1. Luggage - before you pack, lay everything you need out on a bed. then put at least half of it back in the wardrobe as you'll never use it. Unless you're exceptionally messy eaters as adults, you'll manage a fortnight with 3 tshirts, 2 pairs of shorts and a weeks supply of underwear. A hoodie will be plenty to keep you warm in the evenings and you can wear "irish weather" clothes on the boat over. There are laundry facilities on the campsites and they're cheap as chips. Its worth it (IMO) to book the bedlinen at the campsite as its more space spared in the car (do bring towels though). Also, when packing the car, try to resist the temptation to load up the back seat in between the kids with stuff, it'll only make them cranky / claustrophobic - if you cant fit it in the boot / roofbox, then you probably dont need it.

2. Bags on the boat - we have 2 kids, so adjust accordingly - my wife brings 1 bag containing a change of clothes, toothpaste & brushes and a few toys for the kids. I bring a second bag containing cereal bars, an empty bottle, a Flask with some milk in it and teabags - I'll explain these in the next point. its also worth noting that they don't give out seasickness tablets on the boat any more, so make sure you get them before you leave if required.

3. Breakfast on arrival in france is very early, and its totally jammers, your time is better served by getting a head start on getting down to the car deck and getting off the boat rather than waiting for the masses to filter out.before you leave, Boil the kettle in your room. While its boiling, transfer the milk from the flask into the empty bottle, then fill the flask with the boiling water.

4. Leave the boat, then drive a short distance to somewhere you can pull in and have yourself a light breakfast of cereal bars and tea. (I told you there was a method to my madness).

5. Hit the road. Sat Nav is a major plus, but its worth making sure that the route it takes is the preferred one - for example, last year our satnav brought us from the vendee to roscoff via all back roads. It might have essentially been a shorter distance, but it took a good bit longer to drive.

6. On the drive, Mc Donalds is your friend, regardless on your views on feeding the kids junk. They'll see it as a welcome treat and most roadside ones have great playgrounds and outside seating areas.

7. When you arrive at your campsite, if its a sunday, in all likelihood, the main shops in the area will be closed, so it might be best to budget for having your first evenings meal at the restaurant. (or else pack something like pasta and sauce in your luggage)

8. The supermarkets, for whatever reason, are total pandemonium on a monday morning in france. If your kids are young, i'd recommend one of the adults to take the kids to the pool /playground while the other hits the supermarket for the essentials - Its best to try and avoid picking up stuff in the campsite shops as they are very expensive in comparision to the lidl / E Leclerc / Super U shops.

9. On the return trip (if leaving from roscoff), try and allow yourself some time in the town of roscoff, its actually a lovely little spot to while away a few hours. Also, there is no point in being overly early for the boat home, waiting in a carpark in the heat with kids is not a fun time.

10. Have fun!

if I think of anything else I'll add it on here later.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

A few other things I would add:

1) Ask for a mobile home with a washing machine or at least a dishwasher. Our first year we had both, second year we had the washing machine, no harm in asking.

2) Get a tv for the mobile home and bring dvd player and dvd's. It will entertain the kids when they wake up early if young and then entertain you at night.

3) Bring your car pump with you, handy for blowing things up before you go to the pool.

4) Just one thing about getting off the boat, if you have young kids, ie under 3 and need the lift, the staff will ensure you get on it before other people. The car area can be very warm so be careful of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Taine

Great advice, thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭susie05

i know most families would take car & ferry but not an option for me this year as car to unreliable.
    which park would be reccomended for closeness to airport,then get train etc.
    im googling too but would love some 1st hand experiance.
    tia

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

3. Breakfast on arrival in france is very early, and its totally jammers, your time is better served by getting a head start on getting down to the car deck and getting off the boat rather than waiting for the masses to filter out.

How does that work, seeing as the car decks are not accessible until they say so and you can't move your car until the one ahead moves off?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭manshay

We take a canvas cooler bag(the more upmarket freezer bag from the supermarkets) onto the boat with a litre or two of milk which we have already frozen. We bring snacks, sandwiches and other bits to eat in the cooler bag. The milk will melt by breakfast so can be used for breakfast, it also keeps everything else cold. We take the small variety packs of cereals for our and the kids breakfast. We have previously brought enough to eat for the entire boat journey as some of the cafeteria food is not great on the ferries and very expensive. That said we now try to budget extra money on the ferry and upgrade to the nicer restaurants.

McDonalds France have a smartphone app to help locate their "services"
    Some of the larger dual carriageway/motorway services serve better coffee and fresh sandwiches and salads if you can convince the kids to eat there!

A word of warning about the McDonalds kiosk/machines, which while great for those of us with poor French don't have access to everything on the menu.
    Last summer they had free kids DVD's with kids meals(found it on the app) but the free DVD's weren't listed on the English language part of the kiosk. I had to negotiate the French language part to order them. The DVD's(included the current Smurf movie) were in English too, kept the kids occupied on the ferry back home.

Speedy exit? €10 extra.

What's the rush?
    Use the tenner to have a better breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭MelachiT

Well worth it on the trip to France... providing you arrive at the port early enough to get a place close to the car deck doors.
    But it's a bit of a lottery. Once we were first off the boat, another time we were placed up on the second deck and still had to wait for the lower deck to clear first. :mad:
    I'm almost sure we paid €20 for the privilege last year with Irish Ferries OW.

MelachiT wrote: »
    Well worth it on the trip to France... providing you arrive at the port early enough to get a place close to the car deck doors.
    But it's a bit of a lottery. Once we were first off the boat, another time we were placed up on the second deck and still had to wait for the lower deck to clear first. :mad:
    I'm almost sure we paid €20 for the privilege last year with Irish Ferries OW.

It's well worth spending €20 if travelling on Irish Ferries. Your journey is long enough with sitting in an enclosed car deck for up to 1 hour. We pay on our outward journey, I'll take the wait on the way back!

• Advertisement

manshay wrote:
    It's well worth spending €20 if travelling on Irish Ferries. Your journey is long enough with sitting in an enclosed car deck for up to 1 hour. We pay on our outward journey, I'll take the wait on the way back!

Up to one hour? I've used the OW about 30 times and it never took longer than half that - usually a lot less.

The open deck on the Stena ship can be slower because you have to turn but even that was never close to an hour.

First Up wrote: »
    Up to one hour? I've used the OW about 30 times and it never took longer than half that - usually a lot less.

The open deck on the Stena ship can be slower because you have to turn but even that was never close to an hour.

First Up that wasn't our experience but we haven't travelled as often as you!

In 2013 we travelled the August bank holiday weekend(can't remember the exact day) and it took more than 1 hour. Maybe there was a problem with unloading. We paid for Speedy disembarkation in 2014 which was amazing, off in the first 10. We were passing Avranches at the same time as we left the ferry the year before.
    We went with Stena in 2015 but they don't do speedy disembarkation on their Cherbourg route. The open deck on Stena Horizon is less claustrophobic than the enclosed upper deck on the OW, whilst waiting for off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

stupid question people but im heading to england with my car via irishferries in 2 weeks time , just wondering when i get on the boat with the car am i located to it , or am i allowed to roam around ?

pudzey101 wrote: »
    stupid question people but im heading to england with my car via irishferries in 2 weeks time , just wondering when i get on the boat with the car am i located to it , or am i allowed to roam around ?

You'll have to go up top away from your car on the trip to France, I'm sure the UK is no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

You'll have to go up top away from your car on the trip to France, I'm sure the UK is no different.

brilliant , all i wanted to know :) taught id be stuck sitting in the car for the whole trip ha ha :)

How does that work, seeing as the car decks are not accessible until they say so and you can't move your car until the one ahead moves off?

Head to to the door of the car decks, there's limited standing room down there but it's far more preferable to me to be there than trying to manhandle bags and kids down The stairs or into the crowded lifts when the rush is on. Once the car decks are open you'be a bit of time to arrange yourself before departing the boat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭MelachiT

We've waited close to an hour a few times, particularly in the Summer when the boat is crowded.

manshay wrote:
    In 2013 we travelled the August bank holiday weekend(can't remember the exact day) and it took more than 1 hour. Maybe there was a problem with unloading. We paid for Speedy disembarkation in 2014 which was amazing, off in the first 10. We were passing Avranches at the same time as we left the ferry the year before. We went with Stena in 2015 but they don't do speedy disembarkation on their Cherbourg route. The open deck on Stena Horizon is less claustrophobic than the enclosed upper deck on the OW, whilst waiting for off.

If a fast getaway is important to you, then go for it. I've never bothered and never felt the need. On a peak weekend it might be worth it but I avoid those dates anyway as the traffic is crazy.

The door to the car deck is the last place I would want to stand. Mayhem.

No wonder it takes you an hour if you are sitting in the car long before you need to.

Let the rush go; enjoy your breakfast, have your stuff ready in the cabin and go to the car about 20 minutes after the call. You will still be off the boat at exactly the same time.

• Advertisement

Always one of the last cars on the boat, always get off within ten mins in peak season.

Don't see the point in rushing to get on the boat first, your on it long enough.

We go for the 5 star cabin, means breakfast is included and no queuing.

Wouldn't rush down to the car deck either, too warm down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

When you drive off the boat at Roscoff at 7am on Sunday morning turn right and drive into the town which is only 2-3 minutes away. It is quite nice and there are a few cafes, restaurants and a market open so you can get a nice breakfast, some very decent coffee and plan your day's driving from there.

BailMeOut wrote: »
    When you drive off the boat at Roscoff at 7am on Sunday morning turn right and drive into the town which is only 2-3 minutes away. It is quite nice and there are a few cafes, restaurants and a market open so you can get a nice breakfast, some very decent coffee and plan your day's driving from there.

Maybe if kids are older that would work, younger ones it won't. I just like to get on the road, stop after Nantes for awhile.

It's a Sat morning for us when we get off the boat, so heavier traffic about.

It's usually 10am French time when we get off the boat, must be Brittany that's early.

Maybe if kids are older that would work, younger ones it won't. I just like to get on the road, stop after Nantes for awhile.

It's a Sat morning for us when we get off the boat, so heavier traffic about.

It's usually 10am French time when we get off the boat, must be Brittany that's early.

BF gets in early (on a Sunday morning) so the roads are pretty clear. It is the trickiest one for breakfast though because having it on board has to be very early and Sunday morning in rural Brittany is not exactly awash with choice.

For that reason its a good idea to have some breakfast provisions with you on BF but for the IF or Stena sailings I think breakfast on board makes more sense - convenience, choice and time efficiency.

BF gets in early (on a Sunday morning) so the roads are pretty clear. It is the trickiest one for breakfast though because having it on board has to be very early and Sunday morning in rural Brittany is not exactly awash with choice.

For that reason its a good idea to have some breakfast provisions with you on BF but for the IF or Stena sailings I think breakfast on board makes more sense - convenience, choice and time efficiency.

So do many use the pool on brittany ferries?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Haven't been on the Pont Aven in a while but isn't it quite small and visible from the bar?

its very small and its mainly kids that use it any time I was on it anyway, yeah its also in the middle of a bar so the adults might be be a bit self conscious of taking a dip in front of anyone thats passing through the area!

its very small and its mainly kids that use it any time I was on it anyway, yeah its also in the middle of a bar so the adults might be be a bit self conscious of taking a dip in front of anyone thats passing through the area!

I never went with BF, so I didnt know it was in the middle of the bar. Wouldn't like that.
    Kids like to share beds on hols at the moment and BF doesn't have the rooms we need for that.

Soon they will want bunk beds and our ferry trip will become cheaper :)

I never went with BF, so I didnt know it was in the middle of the bar. Wouldn't like that.
    Kids like to share beds on hols at the moment and BF doesn't have the rooms we need for that.

Soon they will want bunk beds and our ferry trip will become cheaper :)

Its not in the middle of the main bar, more of a cocktail bar effort, but there is huge foot traffic through the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Paddytheman

So did you figure this one out? Renting a van over there but finding it hard to locate campsites near the larger cities...

Advertisement