Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭54and56

MorganIRL wrote: »
    We have booked with Stena on the Horizon as we don't expect IF to release dates in time for us to amend our eurocamp booking b4 the deadline.

Question is what is the horizon like compared to the Oscar Wilde for kids ie playing and eating.

Horizon is nothing like the OW for kids entertainment. There's no face painting, kidde disco, magic stage show etc. There's a small(ish) bar and plenty of lounge seating with reasonably priced fairly basic food including kid friendly options but much less choice than the OW.

The OW is particularly suited for very young kids but once they grow out of the kiddie disco / cinema / face painting / stage show and are happy to read a book, listen to music or watch movies on phones/laptops than the Horizon is absolutely fine and I find their cabins and in particular their beds more comfortable and spacious Vs the OW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

MorganIRL wrote: »
    We have booked with Stena on the Horizon as we don't expect IF to release dates in time for us to amend our eurocamp booking b4 the deadline.

Eurocamp deadline for amendments is now Dec 24th. I am really hoping to have the IF Schedule before then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭Peckham

I booked with Eurocamp last week, and they said that after 24th December they would allow changes, and that you just pay the price difference if booking more expensive dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Eurocamp deadline for amendments is now Dec 24th. I am really hoping to have the IF Schedule before then.

Thks but I was aware of the extended deadline, I don't think IF will be cheaper than the stena offer that's why I'm resigned to going on the horizon, we also have another family going with us this yr on their first french holiday experience, 5 yrs listening to us and then IF balls it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I had move by a couple of days last year, no problem just pay any extra for the couple of days added on

Edit: subject to availability of course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

Looks like changes are being make on the Irishferries site for France bookings in 2019 - i could choose dates in 2019, but it then said, no sailings on those days. It's an advance of not even being able to choose a date in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 ks44

Hi all,
    Changed my mind about 10 times with what campsite to go to while waiting on Irish Ferries to get their finger out!
    Think i have narrowed it down to Le Littoral or La Garangeoire now.
    Anyone been to both? Bring our own trailer tent this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 WayneH

ks44 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Changed my mind about 10 times with what campsite to go to while waiting on Irish Ferries to get their finger out!

Hi KS

I have been to both and the answer depends on what you are looking for. I would much prefer Garangeoire as it is a much more spacious site and less commercial if that makes sense. It is also more French, with local wine's etc.. It is in the middle of nowhere so if you want to visit places like Les Sable, you will need to drive.

The kids on the other hand would prefer le littoral, as its more like a holiday camp with loads on for them. The bar has all the English football games and GAA on and you can get the mainstream beers (think Trabalgon but in the sun).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭treascon

Hi all,

Been to both also. Another one who would pick La Garangeoire. Our kids between 6-10 love the place. Very safe, can let the kids wander around the site on their bikes no bother. Staff very friendly and helpful

Thanks guys.
    Kids are 10 and 7.
    Was leaning towards La Garangaiore.
    Only small thing that was putting me off was the fact that it's isolated. Would like to be able to cycle to places. Was in Les Alicourts in Loire valley last year. Excellent site but very isolated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭treascon

Thanks guys.
    Kids are 10 and 7.
    Was leaning towards La Garangaiore.
    Only small thing that was putting me off was the fact that it's isolated. Would like to be able to cycle to places. Was in Les Alicourts in Loire valley last year. Excellent site but very isolated.

We drove a couple of miles to La Sauzaie and basically there’s a full cycle track along the coast. We cycled several kms to the next town, had an icrecream and cycled back. Only did a small portion of it as our youngest 6 at the time wasn’t able for anymore but I believe the track goes on for miles

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭wall

Hi all,

Visited La Garangeoire one day as friends were staying there. Looked like some very nice pitches for tents/trailor tents. If your kids are into soccer they’ll probably like it, very popular with Irish, loads of gaa jerseys on the kids around the site, and the hurling on the tv in the bar on the day we were there. Bit like being in a posh caravan park in Wexford.;) Some people are into this kind of site, and some aren’t.

Still no sign of IF 2019 France Schedule 😡

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,466 ✭✭✭Macy0161

WayneH wrote: »
    The kids on the other hand would prefer le littoral, as its more like a holiday camp with loads on for them. The bar has all the English football games and GAA on and you can get the mainstream beers (think Trabalgon but in the sun).
    Having been to both, comparing Le Littoral to Trabolgan is incredibly harsh on Le Littoral!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭nirvana78

Still no sign of IF 2019 France Schedule ��

I'm like a kid waiting for Santa, thinking he'll never arrive! I look here everyday hoping for good news, thinking I'll hear it here first. I have the deposit ready and boy could I have used it for something else many times since it went into an envelope back in July. Yes I know there are other companies I could use but it's just a personal preference to go with IF. Maybe Santa might bring a surprise for us big kids :)

nirvana78 wrote: »
    I'm like a kid waiting for Santa, thinking he'll never arrive! I look here everyday hoping for good news, thinking I'll hear it here first. I have the deposit ready and boy could I have used it for something else many times since it went into an envelope back in July. Yes I know there are other companies I could use but it's just a personal preference to go with IF. Maybe Santa might bring a surprise for us big kids :)

I just think its extremely bad form and unprofessional from Irish Ferries at this stage still telling people you will be able to book "shortly". Whatever the hell is shortly....days, weeks, months???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

nirvana78 wrote: »

I just think its extremely bad form and unprofessional from Irish Ferries at this stage still telling people you will be able to book "shortly". Whatever the hell is shortly....days, weeks, months???
    It would be even more unprofessional to take booking until they are sure they will be honoured. After last year's debacle do you seriously think they should take that risk again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

First Up wrote: »
    It would be even more unprofessional to take booking until they are sure they will be honoured. After last year's debacle do you seriously think they should take that risk again?

They could take a leaf out of other companies books and try to communicate with their customers.
    If they sent out updates of what was happening through social media and their email lists then I think there would be more goodwill towards them.

Not much point saying anything until they have something to say. I suspect they are building up to a serious sales push as soon as they are ready.

Its bound to be a bad year for them anyway as many people will have already given up and booked with Stena or BF.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭nirvana78

I see on Facebook they're posting rubbish things like what ship is sailing out of the bay? They post something and ask you to answer a question, then if anyone asks them a question on that post, they don't even respond! That just annoys me.

• Advertisement

Probably talking nonsense here but I was just thinking...

Could IF be holding off until they see will a Brexit deal be done?

There might be more demand and more profits in bringing larger portion of freight (to avoid UK landbridge) and fewer passengers. Timetables adjusted to suit freight

If a deal is done then just announce normal schedule and start taking bookings....

PCX wrote: »
    Probably talking nonsense here but I was just thinking...

Could IF be holding off until they see will a Brexit deal be done?

There might be more demand and more profits in bringing larger portion of freight (to avoid UK landbridge) and fewer passengers. Timetables adjusted to suit freight

If a deal is done then just announce normal schedule and start taking bookings....
    I don't think so. All the ferry companies are in close contact with the freight companies and their main customers. They have all been working on their post Brexit options and there's already a number of new and increased services underway to France and now Spain.

IF will want their share and they must be very frustrated over the delay and being unable to negotiate contracts while Stena and BF mop up business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Bookings now open on Irish Ferries following press release today (looks like booking is only from Dublin initially)

https://www.irishferries.com/ie-en/news-listing/a-world-of-wonder-awaits-as-irish-ferries-prepares-for-the-christmas-delivery-of-the-w.b.-yeats/

A WORLD OF WONDER AWAITS AS IRISH FERRIES PREPARES FOR THE CHRISTMAS DELIVERY OF THE W.B. YEATS
    12 DEC 2018
    This Christmas, look forward to the gift of summer sun and sail to France in style, as Irish Ferries prepares to celebrate the arrival of the majestic W.B. Yeats. Expected to dock in Dublin next week, this magnificent ship will provide passengers with a unique and memorable cruise-style travel experience.

Offering up to four sailings a week directly from Dublin to France, this flagship cruise ferry will travel 125,000 nautical miles per annum, which is the equivalent of circumnavigating the globe nearly 6 times. Sailing from mid-March to the end of September, Irish Ferries will be the only operator providing customers with a direct crossing from the convenient Dublin Port to the perennially popular holiday destination.

The W. B. Yeats will afford superior comfort to 1,800 passengers offering 440 spacious cabins, including luxury suites with stunning private balcony sea views and a dedicated butler service. Styled throughout in natural tones, rich furnishings are accented by marble, steel and state-of-the-art lighting, creating a relaxed and contemporary atmosphere on every deck. Décor in the passenger areas exudes understated elegance, illustrated by famous works of art and literature from Yeats and other well-known artists, while downloadable audio extracts from the famous poet’s celebrated catalogue provide the backdrop to a unique walking tour.

From refined accommodation to fine dining, the literary theme continues throughout the ship, as guests are invited to indulge in innovative cuisine in the Lady Gregory Restaurant, enjoy a casual snack in the Maud Gonne Bar & Lounge or immerse themselves in the magic of movies and family fun entertainment at The Abbey and The Peacock cinemas. Spoilt for choice with a host of bars and restaurants on board, as well as great chances to shop all the latest brands, the holiday truly begins the moment passengers’ step on-board.

Speaking ahead of the arrival, Andrew Sheen, Managing Director of Irish Ferries said, “We’re delighted to bring the W.B. Yeats and its superior luxury to Dublin. The introduction of this magnificent new ship offers holidaymakers unrivalled comfort with direct route access from the convenient and centrally located Dublin Port to France. Irish Ferries look forward to welcoming passengers onboard the W.B. Yeats to sail in style in 2019.”

Consumer Marketing & Sales Director for Irish Ferries, Nora Costello continued, “Whether it’s a gourmet break away in a picturesque French village, or a seaside adventure for all the family, we’re giving our customers the chance to enjoy the freedom of unlimited luggage and the comfort of travelling with their own car.”

Holidaymakers will enjoy 10% off when they book a summer sailing from Dublin to France on www.irishferries.com before January 15th, 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Janey, price for Dublin to Cherbourg is showing as €1568 for a family of 5 in July - and that's with just one cabin for 4 and a seat! And that's with the 10% off offer - is this the new norm in terms of what you can expect to pay? I don't think even Brittanny Ferries were coming in as expensive as that and I used to think they were the dearest operator?

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Janey, price for Dublin to Cherbourg is showing as €1568 for a family of 5 in July - and that's with just one cabin for 4 and a seat! And that's with the 10% off offer - is this the new norm in terms of what you can expect to pay? I don't think even Brittanny Ferries were coming in as expensive as that and I used to think they were the dearest operator?

Well they've got to make back their losses somehow :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

€1,066 this year when it was €880 for the same time last year. I knew they would do this to make up for the €150 credit, it's not a credit at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Ceist_Beag wrote: »

In the interest of comparing like with like, a similar tip with Stena is coming in at €1275 from Rosslare and with Brittany from Cork is €1241.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭Peckham

Jeepers. Just over 1500 for first two weeks in July, and days are Wed-Mon when we want to travel Thu-Sun.

Presumably Oscar Wilde will run on the alternate days. Wonder when we'll see that schedule.

What days are the Sailings from Dublin to Cherbourg and return ?
    Can't seem to get into the IF website.

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,600 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Booked a campsite on Lake Annecy SE France, hope crossings are similar to last year.

Advertisement